Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tire /tyre landing incident /accident

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Tire /tyre landing incident /accident Reply with quote

All and particularly U.K. Europa MW operators

You remember this topic last summer? I was and am full of bad quality tubes which run down regularly and too often for my taste.

I have tried to found aircraft quality tube size 7.00-6 with a valve TR67 (90 degrees bent) without any success. Valve is the problem – it is easy to find straight valves type TR20.

Today I got a message from Watts Aviation Mr John Bell (tech and quality manager).

In his message he told

FYI we do have a number of Europa Monogear operators among our customers who use the 7.00-6 tube with the TR20 straight valve

Obviously those operators do bend their valves by themself. Would like to know what is a correct method to do that?

Thanks,

Raimo
OH-XRT
FINLAND

Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 11:20 PM
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com (europa-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: Tire /tyre landing incident /accident

Raimo,
Sorry for the slow response.
Alas no tube is perfect and frankly, I hate how the bent tube wheel works. The stem never sets really straight, even when I affix a 5/16 inch by 32 nut and a washer to help it out.

I have often wondered myself why not put some pre-puncture fluid in a tube and fill with an inert gas. Or even fill the darned thing with the fix a flat type fluid. Now that we have the electronic tire pressure monitoring devices that work in tubeless tires, can it be worked out on a tubed tire? Ah to have the time to research and develop new things. With very inexpensive and light air compressors available now, we could have our own built in auto tire inflation system like the big guys. I am seriously considering adding a compressor to my plane powered direct from the battery with a valve stem sticking out of the fuselage bottom. When I get to the plane and need some air, I pull out my very light filler tube out of the baggage bay and hook up. With my very easy to open wheel pants, I wouldn't need to wait for the Fixed Based Operators mechanic or have to drag out my gear to fill the always occurring low tire. Three screws, open the pant and fill the tire.

As you already know, my main concern with the larger tire of 7 or 8 inches, the side wall will tend to fail if it loses pressure. Once the side wall fails, the tube can't fix that problem so the tire will fail.

As for the 6 inch tube, that is quite a stretch for this sized tube as there is a huge difference between 6 and 7 inch tires, and in the event of a puncture I had the thought it may be more of a blow out rather than a floppy tire roll out.

Also if you go to an 8 ply sidewall, what will that do to the tires ability to absorb the shock.

I supposed if we all made perfect landings on dead smooth wide fields we wouldn't have a concern with a stiffer tire....

Regards,
Bud
[quote] ---

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

Europa%20A2A-ala2OK[1].png
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.84 KB
 Viewed:  1244 Time(s)

Europa%20A2A-ala2OK[1].png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: