Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why pay $2000+ for a GPS when...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barryhancock

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Why pay $2000+ for a GPS when... Reply with quote

....you can have all the functionality of the latest Garmin, and more, with your iPad. I gotta say, if there were ever a reason to justify an iPad, flying with the tablet and the ForeFlight app is in many ways more powerful than anything Garmin offers....for far cheaper and, obviously, is much more versatile.

For years I have used the Garmin GPSs mounted in the cockpits of the various planes I ferry. Wires everywhere for power and XM weather, cumbersome mount that always interferes with seeing some instrumentation or switches/knobs, and danged expensive. I now use the iPad with Fore Flight strapped to my knee using the Sporty's iPad kneeboard and a blue tooth external GPS antenna. It's as accurate as anything I've used, much better user interface, all the info you could ever want overlaid on the moving map (or not), has charts and plates, note pad, is a superior flight planning tool, files your danged flight plans for you and might even cook your breakfast - all with a touch, pinch or tap. My all in cost for this was right around $1000...and I use the iPad for dozens of other things. In a word, it is awesome.

Happier flying, indeed!

Barry

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

byronmfox(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Why pay $2000+ for a GPS when... Reply with quote

I'm impressed, Barry, that having something as large as an iPad strapped to your leg doesn't interfere with the stick. Can you comment on this?
Thanks, Blitz

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 21, 2012, at 5:57 PM, "barryhancock" <bhancock(at)worldwidewarbirds.com> wrote:

Quote:

....you can have all the functionality of the latest Garmin, and more, with your iPad. I gotta say, if there were ever a reason to justify an iPad, flying with the tablet and the ForeFlight app is in many ways more powerful than anything Garmin offers....for far cheaper and, obviously, is much more versatile.

For years I have used the Garmin GPSs mounted in the cockpits of the various planes I ferry. Wires everywhere for power and XM weather, cumbersome mount that always interferes with seeing some instrumentation or switches/knobs, and danged expensive. I now use the iPad with Fore Flight strapped to my knee using the Sporty's iPad kneeboard and a blue tooth external GPS antenna. It's as accurate as anything I've used, much better user interface, all the info you could ever want overlaid on the moving map (or not), has charts and plates, note pad, is a superior flight planning tool, files your danged flight plans for you and might even cook your breakfast - all with a touch, pinch or tap. My all in cost for this was right around $1000...and I use the iPad for dozens of other things. In a word, it is awesome.

Happier flying, indeed!

Barry

--------
Barry Hancock
Worldwide Warbirds, Inc.
(877) 869-6458
www.worldwidewarbirds.com

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=366915#366915

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

barryhancock

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Why pay $2000+ for a GPS when... Reply with quote

Blitz,

An iPad in portrait format isn't that much wider than a kneeboard. For cross country flying it is fine....if you are flying in manner that requires consistent aggressive movement of the stick, you'd probably find it annoying. My support for this (these) products is limited to the cross country flying environment. You can easily twist the iPad to the outboard side, however, if you need to get it out of the way for that sporting cross wind landing...

Hope this helps,

Barry

melrod971

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Why pay $2000+ for a GPS when... Reply with quote

Barry/Blitz,

I use the Samsung Galaxy tab 7.0. You would use the Naviator app for the Android operating system. I find this to be easier than the Ipad due to the built in GPS and the 7 inch screen. This is no bigger than a DoD approach plate and I use an instrument leg strap to hold it in place. No stick interference in my CJ or the navy jets I fly.

Mike Elrod
N368MB

jland(at)popeandland.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Why pay $2000+ for a GPS when... Reply with quote

Barry

What do you use to get XM weather on the ipad?

Thx, Jay

Quote:

....you can have all the functionality of the latest Garmin, and more, with
your iPad. I gotta say, if there were ever a reason to justify an iPad,
flying with the tablet and the ForeFlight app is in many ways more powerful
than anything Garmin offers....for far cheaper and, obviously, is much more
versatile.

For years I have used the Garmin GPSs mounted in the cockpits of the various
planes I ferry. Wires everywhere for power and XM weather, cumbersome mount
that always interferes with seeing some instrumentation or switches/knobs, and
danged expensive. I now use the iPad with Fore Flight strapped to my knee
using the Sporty's iPad kneeboard and a blue tooth external GPS antenna. It's
as accurate as anything I've used, much better user interface, all the info
you could ever want overlaid on the moving map (or not), has charts and
plates, note pad, is a superior flight planning tool, files your danged flight
plans for you and might even cook your breakfast - all with a touch, pinch or
tap. My all in cost for this was right around $1000...and I use the iPad for
dozens of other things. In a word, it is awesome.

Happier flying, indeed!

Barry

--------
Barry Hancock
Worldwide Warbirds, Inc.
(877) 869-6458
www.worldwidewarbirds.com

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=366915#366915

jackpot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Why pay $2000+ for a GPS when... Reply with quote

Mike. Gary Gabbard in LAS. CJ N22YK. Would please send me the complete name and version number for the navigation app you are using. And maybe the site you downloaded it from. As I have been considering purchasing the Samsung Galaxy. Thanks. Gary. ggg6(at)att.net

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 22, 2012, at 5:53, "melrod971" <melrod971(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

Quote:

Barry/Blitz,

I use the Samsung Galaxy tab 7.0. You would use the Naviator app for the Android operating system. I find this to be easier than the Ipad due to the built in GPS and the 7 inch screen. This is no bigger than a DoD approach plate and I use an instrument leg strap to hold it in place. No stick interference in my CJ or the navy jets I fly.

Mike Elrod
N368MB

--------
Mike Elrod
N368MB

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=366967#366967

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: