Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

601HD comfort

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom McCarthy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: 601HD comfort Reply with quote

Now that I see some activity on the list I thought I would pose a question to the listers. I fly and enjoy a 601HD. I am 6' tall and around 210lbs, which I fit ok, if it were not for lower back problems. I had an occasion to sit in a 601XL last week, and it felt like I was in a Lazboy in comparison. I thought the only difference was the spar thickness, but it felt like the canopy was higher allowing for more padding in the seat. It also felt like there was more leg distance to the rudders, which I need as well. I have tried every combination of foam in my seats, but the pressure on my lower back when seated is just too much. My question is, has anyone tried to change the seat back for more room? Maybe cutting a curve in the deck and changing the seat pan? I have several ideas, but would like to hear from others that might have gone before me. I am aware that my ideas will affect the CG, but in my build, I have room to play.

Tom McCarthy
N514TM 601HD 300 hours [quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List

N863GB Kolb Slingshot
larrycmcfarland(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: 601HD comfort Reply with quote

Hi Tom,
There was some information on moving the edge of the tray back to afford a 2 to 3 inch advantage for tall people early on. I think you could easily revise the tray and re-angle the seat back structure to accommodate the clearance if you wanted to.
My HDS plans didn’t have that information at the time, so one could only thin the padding and seat back thickness to achieve the result. At 6’-1” and 197 lbs., my HDS is a fine fit and comfortable, but one could always use more space.

Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com

From: owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of McCarthy Tom
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2012 7:19 AM
To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: 601HD comfort

Now that I see some activity on the list I thought I would pose a question to the listers. I fly and enjoy a 601HD. I am 6' tall and around 210lbs, which I fit ok, if it were not for lower back problems. I had an occasion to sit in a 601XL last week, and it felt like I was in a Lazboy in comparison. I thought the only difference was the spar thickness, but it felt like the canopy was higher allowing for more padding in the seat. It also felt like there was more leg distance to the rudders, which I need as well. I have tried every combination of foam in my seats, but the pressure on my lower back when seated is just too much. My question is, has anyone tried to change the seat back for more room? Maybe cutting a curve in the deck and changing the seat pan? I have several ideas, but would like to hear from others that might have gone before me. I am aware that my ideas will affect the CG, but in my build, I have room to play.

Tom McCarthy
N514TM 601HD 300 hours
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: 601HD comfort Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

My understanding is the XL is a foot longer than the HD. Perhaps this explains the additional room.

I have an XL and don't know exactly how the HD seat is done. In the XL there really is no seat back. Rather the rear of the seat is the same part as the front of the baggage compartment floor. I added a small sheet of plywood to fill in the "Back" of the seat, but this isn't really necessary.

I'm sorry this doesn't give you an answer to your back pain problem. Perhaps you need to trade your HD for an XL. If you do, make sure the upgrade is installed so the wings stay put.

Paul
Camas, WA
XL in flight test.

On 2/25/2012 5:18 AM, McCarthy Tom wrote: [quote]Now that I see some activity on the list I thought I would pose a question to the listers. I fly and enjoy a 601HD. I am 6' tall and around 210lbs, which I fit ok, if it were not for lower back problems. I had an occasion to sit in a 601XL last week, and it felt like I was in a Lazboy in comparison. I thought the only difference was the spar thickness, but it felt like the canopy was higher allowing for more padding in the seat. It also felt like there was more leg distance to the rudders, which I need as well. I have tried every combination of foam in my seats, but the pressure on my lower back when seated is just too much. My question is, has anyone tried to change the seat back for more room? Maybe cutting a curve in the deck and changing the seat pan? I have several ideas, but would like to hear from others that might have gone before me. I am aware that my ideas will affect the CG, but in my build, I have room to play.

Tom McCarthy
N514TM 601HD 300 hours
Quote:

[b]

jerryvmd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: 601HD comfort Reply with quote

Tom,
After flying my 601 HD for a while I found the seat back too straight-up for my comfort. I moved the baggage shelf\angles, etc back about 2 inches. Remade all the seat supports and feel the comfort level is much better. I'm only 5'10" so except when seats are cold in the winter (my foam gets hard in cold, softens as it warms) I have plenty of head room. I did not consult Chris before I made the mod but saw him at Oshkosh this year, he took a look and said it was no problem.
Jerry
On 2/25/2012 8:18 AM, McCarthy Tom wrote: [quote]Now that I see some activity on the list I thought I would pose a question to the listers. I fly and enjoy a 601HD. I am 6' tall and around 210lbs, which I fit ok, if it were not for lower back problems. I had an occasion to sit in a 601XL last week, and it felt like I was in a Lazboy in comparison.
[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: