Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

601 XL Question: How bumpy is the ride?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel Vandenberg

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: 601 XL Question: How bumpy is the ride? Reply with quote

Listers...

I have been an infrequent contributer on this list over the past few years. I have yet to get started on my homebuilding dreams due to life circumstances. But things are starting to line up for me, and I will have to decide on a project soon (I am still on the 601XL vs. RV-9A fence, and I do not want to rehash that whole issue again). Gorgeous summertime weather like we have this weekend in the upper midwest reminds me, as did Bill Phillip's post, that time is precious and I need to get going.

All that said, one thing that worries me about the XL is the low wing loading...approximately 9-10 lb/sq ft. at gross weight. I know, of course, that it contributes to a nice, low stall and landing speed, and translates into relatively short take-off and landing runs.

But how annoying is it in choppy air? I am interested in the XL as an all around airplane...and I would probably take it frequently on 300 - 400 mile trips. I have no interest in the Light Sport aspect of building, and I could opt for a design with a higher wing loading and higher stall speed if it made it a more usefull travelling machine. I frequently fly a friend's Beech Debonair. We find, occasionally, even the Deb to have a choppy ride down low...and I believe the Deb has a wind loading of 17 or 18 lb/squ ft.

I think I have now read two posts by Bill Phillips commenting on the choppy ride. I have also read about WW & Guss's Zenvair XL trip to Oshkosh last summer that was apparently quite unpleasant at times due to turbulence. I have seen comments on this list from Dave Kubassek in the past regarding the same issue...that the choppy ride was what he liked least about the XL.

So...could I request comments on this issue from the XL flyers out there? I don't think a demo flight would solve this for me, since a demo ride would be unlikely to occur in choppy air.

Thanks.

Dan

---------------------------------
Ring'em or ping'em. Make PC-to-phone calls as low as 1/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: 601 XL Question: How bumpy is the ride? Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

I have been studying a friend's RV-9A project and comparing it to my
XL. At 12 lbs/sq.ft. the wing loading on the 9A is only a little
higher than the XL. I suspect both would be impacted a lot by bumpy
air. With either one, I would suggest scheduling your flights for
early morning or night if you don't want any turbulence to mess up
your flight. For sure, any plane will be uncomfortable in the worst
of bumpy air.

I think both planes are fine choices for a home-built all metal
plane. The cost to complete an RV-9A seems to be around twice the
cost of the XL and it gives you 10 or 20 knots speed advantage for
that price. The biggest difference is in the engine choices with the
RV heavily favoring certified Lycoming choices that cost a lot more
than the typical Rotax, Jabiru, or auto conversion used in
Zodiacs. One local RV builder also told me he paid $10,000 just for
his C/S propeller.

The only negative thing I have learned about the RV-9A is its free
castoring nose wheel. That means you need to ride the differential
brakes to keep it pointing down the runway while taking off in a
crosswind. I guess this is not the end of the world, but I think
nose gear steering is a big advantage.

I wish you luck in your future plane building. I think either choice
would be better than sitting around waiting for the perfect decision.

Good luck,

Paul
XL wings
At 10:47 AM 5/29/2006, you wrote:
Quote:
I am still on the 601XL vs. RV-9A fence

---------------------------------------------
Paul Mulwitz
32013 NE Dial Road
Camas, WA 98607
---------------------------------------------

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

lgingell

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 601 XL Question: How bumpy is the ride? Reply with quote

Good question....

I have an XL/Jab 3300. It can be pretty bumpy, particularly when lightly loaded (i'm 120lbs) I think my XL is great, but I *would* prefer it to be less bumpy. It yaws quite a bit in turbulence. Its a bumpier ride than the RV's around here.

My trutrak digitrak autopilot does quite a good job of smoothing it out, but you still feel it.

If you are concerned, and you have the extra money/time, go with the 9...(or a 7 - doesn't that have a higher wingloading still?).

cheers,
..lance
http://lancegingell.com/plane.asp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: