Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elevator Rib, holes in crimps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdelano(at)telus.net

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Elevator Rib, holes in crimps Reply with quote

Hi All,

When drilling for the elevator skin along the spar I forgot to mark that there was a crimp in line with the spar and continued to drill right out to the middle of the flange on the Elevator Tip Ribs, 7h1-5. On the top and bottom I have holes on the edge or into this crimp, see attached photos (these were the worst of the 4 holes and are on the bottom). I email Caleb and hope to get an answer from him. Has anyone else done this? If so, did you order new tip ribs or just move away from the crimp and put a new hole respecting edge distance minimums. Is there a minimum distance from a crimp?

Regards,

Perry

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

ELEVATOR_LR.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  804.29 KB
 Viewed:  3175 Time(s)

ELEVATOR_LR.JPG

ELEVATOR_RR.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  863.49 KB
 Viewed:  3175 Time(s)

ELEVATOR_RR.JPG

carlossa52(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Elevator Rib, holes in crimps Reply with quote

Perry, I suspect you will have to replace the part.
I don't remember whether that happened to me, but if it did, since I am building from plans, I just made another part and threw the old one away.
You might want to consider making new parts to replace damaged ones, instead of ordering them. For one thing, it's much cheaper, and there are no mail delays...

Good luck

Carlos
(CH601-HD, plans)

On 26 April 2012 10:01, Perry Delano <pdelano(at)telus.net (pdelano(at)telus.net)> wrote:
[quote]
Hi All,

When drilling for the elevator skin along the spar I forgot to mark that there was a crimp in line with the spar and continued to drill right out to the middle of the flange on the Elevator Tip Ribs, 7h1-5. On the top and bottom I have holes on the edge or into this crimp, see attached photos (these were the worst of the 4 holes and are on the bottom). I email Caleb and hope to get an answer from him. Has anyone else done this? If so, did you order new tip ribs or just move away from the crimp and put a new hole respecting edge distance minimums. Is there a minimum distance from a crimp?

Regards,

Perry

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Tommy Walker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Elevator Rib, holes in crimps Reply with quote

I would remove the crimp and put another crimp just to the side.  I've never heard of edge distance from a crimp.
Tommy Walker

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Perry Delano <pdelano(at)telus.net (pdelano(at)telus.net)> wrote:
[quote]
Hi All,

Regards,

Perry

[b]

pdelano(at)telus.net

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Elevator Rib, holes in crimps Reply with quote

Hi Tommy I like that idea.Thanks Perry Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry device on the Bell network.Envoyé sans fil par mon terminal mobile BlackBerry sur le réseau de Bell.
Sender: owner-zenith701801-list-server(at)matronics.com
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 10:35:01 -0500
To: <zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com>
ReplyTo: zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Zenith701801-List: Elevator Rib, holes in crimps

I would remove the crimp and put another crimp j= ust to the side. =A0I've never heard of edge distance from a crimp.

Tommy Wal= ker

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Perry Delan= o <pdelano(at)telus.net (pdelano(at)telus.net)> wrote:
[quote]
Hi All,
=A0When drilling for the elevator skin along the spar I f= orgot to mark that there was a crimp in line with the spar and continued to= drill right out to the middle of the flange on the Elevator Tip Ribs, 7h1-= 5. On the top and bottom I have holes on the edge or into this crimp, see a= ttached photos (these were the worst of the 4 holes and are on the bottom).= I email Caleb and hope to get an answer from him. Has anyone else done thi= s? If so, did you order new tip ribs or just move away from the crimp and p= ut a new hole respecting edge distance minimums. Is there a minimum distanc= e from a crimp?
=A0
Regards,=
=A0
Perry

[b]

JohnDRead(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Elevator Rib, holes in crimps Reply with quote

Hi Perry,
  The construction standards that you should have on the Zenith disk that you should have is specific that surfaces MUST contact fully at all rivet locations or words to that effect. I expect that Caleb will tell you to re drill the holes that overlap the crimps 10mm away from the offending hole. Caleb may have a good solution as to how to fill the offending holes too

Regards, John

CH701 - Colorado - Jabiru 3300

Cell: 719-494-4567
Home: 303-648-3261
In a message dated 4/26/2012 8:29:56 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time, pdelano(at)telus.net writes:
Quote:

Hi All,

Regards,

Perry

[quote][b]

JohnDRead(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Elevator Rib, holes in crimps Reply with quote

Good solution, just make sure that the mating surface contact fully.

Regards, John

CH701 - Colorado - Jabiru 3300

Cell: 719-494-4567
Home: 303-648-3261
In a message dated 4/26/2012 10:40:14 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time, twalker(at)cableone.net writes:
Quote:
I would remove the crimp and put another crimp just to the side. I've never heard of edge distance from a crimp.

Tommy Walker

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Perry Delano <pdelano(at)telus.net (pdelano(at)telus.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Hi All,

Regards,

Perry

ist href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
s.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
p://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

pdelano(at)telus.net

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Elevator Rib, holes in crimps Reply with quote

Hi Tommy,

Caleb suggested the same idea. Just shift the crimp.

Perry

Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry device on the Bell network.
Envoyé sans fil par mon terminal mobile BlackBerry sur le réseau de Bell.

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: