Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iPad 3 flying observations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saolesen(at)sirentel.net

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: iPad 3 flying observations Reply with quote

I've had my iPad 3 out flying a few times and I have made a few observations. I like to keep the iPad battery charged up while flying so I use the cigarette lighter receptacle to hold a 12v charger. The 1 amp charger I used for the iPad 1 will not charge the new model. So I bought a new charger from Radio Shack that will put out 2.1 amps. The iPad indicates that it is being charged but the battery level keeps going down although more slowly. I wanted something that would at least keep the level even or increase the charge. On the return trip, I tried an inverter with the iPad wall charger plugged into it and that worked. The downside is that this is a very clunky way to get the desired result. I was using WingX and I had the cellular turned on so I could update the weather if the reception was good enough. No other devices were connected to the iPad. The screen brightness was set to about 1/2. Turning off the cellular off may help the battery situation.

I am not fond of the glossy screen when flying, so I bought a Brando nonglare screen protector to cure the problem. Unfortunately, the nonglare protector ruins the look of the Retina display and makes it look like the old iPad screen. The roughness of the matt screen gives the illusion of seeing individual pixels. I don't have a solution for this, and since one of the reasons I upgraded was the Retina screen, the nonglare protector may have to come off.

I had WingX quit a few times when I switched from the Moving Map display to Route Planning. I don't know why and I have sent an email to Hilton about the problem. Too early to have heard back from them.
Sheldon Olesen

RV-10 N475PV 385 hrs
Sent from my iPad

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
dlm34077(at)q.com

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: iPad 3 flying observations Reply with quote

Check amazon; they have one designed to charge the IPAD.

--

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: