Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M 14 P

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wise(at)txc.net.au

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: M 14 P Reply with quote

G’Day All,

Can I please have some input re Ivor’s questions.
I have done all of my valves, intake and exhaust and used some grinding wheels (Dressed the angles with a diamond tip stone grinder in the lathe. One hell of a mess) and made some various size mandrels for both intake and exhaust to suite the slight differences of the guides.
I found the exhaust seats to be extremely hard and went by the angles in the manual.

Hey Chris,

Do you know or could you find out if anyone knows what the M14P's factory exhaust valve face and exhaust valve seat angles should be ?

Also, please ask if operators have had their exhaust valve seats re-cut and if so, did they encounter difficulty cutting the seat due to the hardness ?

After hearing about your difficulties, I am contemplating making a diamond impregnated dressing stone for this task.

Any takers ?

Is there an exchange service for overhauled cylinders ?

I have a mate who requires 3 urgently. I guess when the leakage exceeds the starting air flow, you have to either fit an electric start or FIX the problem, eh ?

Cheers,

Ivor Paech LAME

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
GeorgeCoy

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: M 14 P Reply with quote

Motorstar will overhaul your cylinders and make exchanges as well. Contact me off list for details.

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Chris Wise
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2012 5:59 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: FW: M 14 P

G’Day All,

I have done all of my valves, intake and exhaust and used some grinding wheels (Dressed the angles with a diamond tip stone grinder in the lathe. One hell of a mess) and made some various size mandrels for both intake and exhaust to suite the slight differences of the guides.
I found the exhaust seats to be extremely hard and went by the angles in the manual.

Hey Chris,

Do you know or could you find out if anyone knows what the M14P's factory exhaust valve face and exhaust valve seat angles should be ?

Also, please ask if operators have had their exhaust valve seats re-cut and if so, did they encounter difficulty cutting the seat due to the hardness ?

After hearing about your difficulties, I am contemplating making a diamond impregnated dressing stone for this task.

Any takers ?

I have a mate who requires 3 urgently. I guess when the leakage exceeds the starting air flow, you have to either fit an electric start or FIX the problem, eh ?

Cheers,

Ivor Paech LAME

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: M 14 P Reply with quote

Chris,'
You should contact Barrett Precision Engines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I guarantee you they will have the answers you need. 918-835-1089. Outstanding US overhaul shop. They have developed and have running a beautiful coil-over electronic ignition (one coil per spark plug) and fuel injection setup for the M14.

Most likely you will speak to Rhonda first. Ask Rhonda if you can discuss some technical stuff with either Monte Barrett or Allen Barrett. They will also have cylinders for exchange. Rhonda's email address is Rhonda(at)BPAENGINES.com (Rhonda(at)BPAENGINES.com).
Dennis

Quote:
A. Dennis Savarese
334-285-6263
334-546-8182 (mobile)
www.yak-52.com
Skype - Yakguy1

On 5/14/2012 4:58 PM, Chris Wise wrote: [quote] <![endif]--> <![endif]-->

G’Day All,

Hey Chris,

Any takers ?

Cheers,

Ivor Paech LAME

Quote:

[b]

wise(at)txc.net.au

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: M 14 P Reply with quote

G’Day Dennis,

Thanks for that and I shall forward it to my mate.
Rhonda and Monty are champions.
I bought a set of the 3 ring pistons for my engine.
And fitted the Richard Goode supercharger gears.
Naturally we did the vales, seats and only exhaust guides.
What a nightmare grinding the exhaust seats as the buggers are bloody hard.
Anyway all done and really came up good.

Thanks again and cheers,
Chris.

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of A. Dennis Savarese
Sent: Tuesday, 15 May 2012 10:14 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: FW: M 14 P

Chris,'
You should contact Barrett Precision Engines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I guarantee you they will have the answers you need. 918-835-1089. Outstanding US overhaul shop. They have developed and have running a beautiful coil-over electronic ignition (one coil per spark plug) and fuel injection setup for the M14.

Most likely you will speak to Rhonda first. Ask Rhonda if you can discuss some technical stuff with either Monte Barrett or Allen Barrett. They will also have cylinders for exchange. Rhonda's email address is Rhonda(at)BPAENGINES.com (Rhonda(at)BPAENGINES.com).
Dennis

Quote:
A. Dennis Savarese334-285-6263334-546-8182 (mobile)www.yak-52.comSkype - Yakguy1

On 5/14/2012 4:58 PM, Chris Wise wrote:

G’Day All,

Hey Chris,

Any takers ?

Cheers,

Ivor Paech LAME

Quote:
[/b]
http://forums.matronics.com[/url] - List Contribution Web generous nbsp;   --> http://www.matronics.com/c=[/b]334-285-6263[/quote]0
[quote][b]

MONTY(at)bpaengines.com

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: M 14 P Reply with quote

BPE has found the exhaust seats very hard and the best method to date has been to grind them wet. Use a lifting spring under the stone holder so the stone does not stop on the seat. BPE also made short stone holders so that a Sioux stone driver can be inserted in the cylinder bore. We have plans to unbarrel the head but to date have not done this.

Please, PLEASE! Do not grind the face of the exhaust valve at 45 Deg. This causes a thin section under the valve head and the valve will fracture dropping the separated head into the cylinder and generally raise havoc inside the cylinder.

The correct angle is 46 Deg. 15 minutes. Grind the seat the same angle. BPE has found several exhaust seats that were too wide, particularly on the outer edge, which can also cause some grief because the valve operates at a higher temperature than the seat and the valve then wants to seat in the wrong place relative to the seat when the engine is up to operating temperature.

BPE has never seen evidence of an outer narrowing angle being applied by either Russia or Romania and at factory assemble outer narrowing may not be needed. But good shop practices require at least 1/64 outer margin, valve over seat.

Monty Barrett
Barrett Precision Engines, Inc.
[quote]
--

wise(at)txc.net.au

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: M 14 P Reply with quote

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Monty Barrett Sr
Sent: Tuesday, 22 May 2012 12:43 AM
To: A. Dennis Savarese; yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: FW: M 14 P

BPE has found the exhaust seats very hard and the best method to date has been to grind them wet. Use a lifting spring under the stone holder so the stone does not stop on the seat. BPE also made short stone holders so that a Sioux stone driver can be inserted in the cylinder bore. We have plans to unbarrel the head but to date have not done this.

Please, PLEASE! Do not grind the face of the exhaust valve at 45 Deg. This causes a thin section under the valve head and the valve will fracture dropping the separated head into the cylinder and generally raise havoc inside the cylinder.

The correct angle is 46 Deg. 15 minutes. Grind the seat the same angle. BPE has found several exhaust seats that were too wide, particularly on the outer edge, which can also cause some grief because the valve operates at a higher temperature than the seat and the valve then wants to seat in the wrong place relative to the seat when the engine is up to operating temperature.

BPE has never seen evidence of an outer narrowing angle being applied by either Russia or Romania and at factory assemble outer narrowing may not be needed. But good shop practices require at least 1/64 outer margin, valve over seat.

Monty Barrett

Barrett Precision Engines, Inc.
[quote]
--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: