Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin / PSE issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rleffler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Garmin / PSE issue Reply with quote

Carl,
Can you elaborate more on the GTN650 issue? Do you have a Garmin doc that details the update? I'm about 6-8 weeks from first flight and have the same gear in my panel.
Thanks,
Bob

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 17, 2012, at 7:11 PM, "Carl Froehlich" <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)> wrote:

[quote] <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Just back from a run with the forward gear leg slot cover removed. I ran the same test pattern as my earlier flight of the day to get reasonable comparison data. OAT was warmer (80) on the second run however. I have a stock Van’s engine and Hartzell prop.

Climb out (full throttle climb, 140kts, to 6500’. CHTs 10-15 degrees cooler with the slot cover removed. With the cover on #6 at 430, then #5 at 420 and the rest at 400 or below. With the cover off #6 hottest at 420, #5 at 410, rest below 400.
CHTs in level flight – not much difference, perhaps slightly cooler with the cover off. CHTs range from 370 to 390.

Oil temp – I have had the oil air butterfly door full open for climb, and perhaps half shut in level flight to keep oil temp around 190 or so. If anything I would say there is less air for the cooler with the cover off – but no practical difference. I suspect this reflects a reduce pressure drop across the cooler with the cover off as the lower cowl exit area has more air flow. I did not use the Van’s oil mount - I have the cooler mounted horizontally on the firewall.

Speed. 6500’, 23.5”, 2400 RPM ROP, TAS 184kts cover on, 181kts cover off.

LOP run, 6500’, 23.5”, 2350 RPM, TAS 168kts cover on (12.2gph), 170kts cover off(12.5gph). I suspect this result reflects the slightly higher fuel flow for the second data run.

11.5 hours on the 10 now. Here are a few notes for those getting ready for first flight:
1. Tighten the nose gear nut after the first couple of landings. I did mine at 9 hours and it was way loose. The 9th hour landing nose gear feedback (shimmy) was pronounced.
2. While there has been a lot of discussion on the list about greasing the prop, recommend you at least do the “after the first hour” greasing as discussed in the Hartwell manual.
3. I have a GTN-650 and a PS Engineering Audio panel. It turns out Garmin has a software problem that screws up mic audio gain if you use one of these panels. There is a fix, but you have to go to a Garmin dealer to get it (and then it still does not work as good as it should). I’d still much rather have an updated GX-60 and a SL-30 combo instead of this over priced box.
4. I’m on my second round of mounting the wheel pants and leg fairings. They make a huge speed difference but they are a pain to get right. First flight today the ball was in the center but favoring the right side. Second flight (no changes to the pants or fairings) the ball was in the center but favoring the left side. Go figure. With the pants and fairing off the ball is dead center.
5. Rigging. It took six months of chasing my tail to get the rigging right on the 8A (easier once I broke the code). The 10 was dead on right out of the box.
6. Elevator trim. Remember that half way in not neutral. Make sure you know where neutral really is on the panel, start there and then figure out your setting you want for takeoff.

28.5 more hours and then a long awaited western trip this fall.
Carl

Quote:

[b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Garmin / PSE issue Reply with quote

The associated Garmin Service Bulletin is attached.

There fix is “version 2.01” of the communication software.  Again – the fix makes it better but it is still not what it should be.

Carl

SERVICE ADVISORY
NO.: 1123 Rev A
TO: Dealers and Owners/Operators with GTN 635/650/750 Units
DATE: May 13, 2011
SUBJECT: GTN 635/650/750 Units and COM Transmit Audio Issue
AFFECTED PRODUCTS
GTN 635, 650, and 750 Units with Com software version 2.00.
DESCRIPTION
When interfaced with certain Apollo, PS Engineering, and Bendix/King Audio Panels, the GTN Com radio
transmitted audio volume has been reported as low but still audible both to the pilot (sidetone audio) and
to the listener (ATC, other aircraft, etc.) of the radio transmission. This low volume persists for about 3.5
seconds after the push-to-talk key is pressed; after that the volume increases to normal.
RESOLUTION
Garmin plans to correct this issue in a later software version.

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Bob Leffler
Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2012 7:27 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Garmin / PSE issue

Carl,

Can you elaborate more on the GTN650 issue? Do you have a Garmin doc that details the update? I'm about 6-8 weeks from first flight and have the same gear in my panel.

Thanks,

Bob

Sent from my iPad
On Jun 17, 2012, at 7:11 PM, "Carl Froehlich" <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Just back from a run with the forward gear leg slot cover removed. I ran the same test pattern as my earlier flight of the day to get reasonable comparison data. OAT was warmer (80) on the second run however. I have a stock Van’s engine and Hartzell prop.

Climb out (full throttle climb, 140kts, to 6500’. CHTs 10-15 degrees cooler with the slot cover removed. With the cover on #6 at 430, then #5 at 420 and the rest at 400 or below. With the cover off #6 hottest at 420, #5 at 410, rest below 400.
CHTs in level flight – not much difference, perhaps slightly cooler with the cover off. CHTs range from 370 to 390.

Oil temp – I have had the oil air butterfly door full open for climb, and perhaps half shut in level flight to keep oil temp around 190 or so. If anything I would say there is less air for the cooler with the cover off – but no practical difference. I suspect this reflects a reduce pressure drop across the cooler with the cover off as the lower cowl exit area has more air flow. I did not use the Van’s oil mount - I have the cooler mounted horizontally on the firewall.

LOP run, 6500’, 23.5”, 2350 RPM, TAS 168kts cover on (12.2gph), 170kts cover off(12.5gph). I suspect this result reflects the slightly higher fuel flow for the second data run.

11.5 hours on the 10 now. Here are a few notes for those getting ready for first flight:
<![if !supportLists]>1. <![endif]>Tighten the nose gear nut after the first couple of landings. I did mine at 9 hours and it was way loose. The 9th hour landing nose gear feedback (shimmy) was pronounced.
<![if !supportLists]>2. <![endif]>While there has been a lot of discussion on the list about greasing the prop, recommend you at least do the “after the first hour” greasing as discussed in the Hartwell manual.
<![if !supportLists]>3. <![endif]>I have a GTN-650 and a PS Engineering Audio panel. It turns out Garmin has a software problem that screws up mic audio gain if you use one of these panels. There is a fix, but you have to go to a Garmin dealer to get it (and then it still does not work as good as it should). I’d still much rather have an updated GX-60 and a SL-30 combo instead of this over priced box.
<![if !supportLists]>4. <![endif]>I’m on my second round of mounting the wheel pants and leg fairings. They make a huge speed difference but they are a pain to get right. First flight today the ball was in the center but favoring the right side. Second flight (no changes to the pants or fairings) the ball was in the center but favoring the left side. Go figure. With the pants and fairing off the ball is dead center.
<![if !supportLists]>5. <![endif]>Rigging. It took six months of chasing my tail to get the rigging right on the 8A (easier once I broke the code). The 10 was dead on right out of the box.
<![if !supportLists]>6. <![endif]>Elevator trim. Remember that half way in not neutral. Make sure you know where neutral really is on the panel, start there and then figure out your setting you want for takeoff.

Carl
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

SA1123.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  SA1123.pdf
 Filesize:  23.79 KB
 Downloaded:  159 Time(s)

rleffler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Garmin / PSE issue Reply with quote

Does it impact all PSE models or just one?

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 17, 2012, at 8:25 PM, "Carl Froehlich" <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)> wrote:

[quote] <![endif]--> <![endif]-->

There fix is “version 2.01” of the communication software. Again – the fix makes it better but it is still not what it should be.

Carl

SERVICE ADVISORY
AFFECTED PRODUCTS
DESCRIPTION
When interfaced with certain Apollo, PS Engineering, and Bendix/King Audio Panels, the GTN Com radio
transmitted audio volume has been reported as low but still audible both to the pilot (sidetone audio) and
to the listener (ATC, other aircraft, etc.) of the radio transmission. This low volume persists for about 3.5
seconds after the push-to-talk key is pressed; after that the volume increases to normal.
RESOLUTION

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Bob Leffler
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)

Carl,

Thanks,

Bob

Sent from my iPad
Quote:

1. Tighten the nose gear nut after the first couple of landings. I did mine at 9 hours and it was way loose. The 9th hour landing nose gear feedback (shimmy) was pronounced.
2. While there has been a lot of discussion on the list about greasing the prop, recommend you at least do the “after the first hour” greasing as discussed in the Hartwell manual.
3. I have a GTN-650 and a PS Engineering Audio panel. It turns out Garmin has a software problem that screws up mic audio gain if you use one of these panels. There is a fix, but you have to go to a Garmin dealer to get it (and then it still does not work as good as it should). I’d still much rather have an updated GX-60 and a SL-30 combo instead of this over priced box.
4. I’m on my second round of mounting the wheel pants and leg fairings. They make a huge speed difference but they are a pain to get right. First flight today the ball was in the center but favoring the right side. Second flight (no changes to the pants or fairings) the ball was in the center but favoring the left side. Go figure. With the pants and fairing off the ball is dead center.
5. Rigging. It took six months of chasing my tail to get the rigging right on the 8A (easier once I broke the code). The 10 was dead on right out of the box.
6. Elevator trim. Remember that half way in not neutral. Make sure you know where neutral really is on the panel, start there and then figure out your setting you want for takeoff.

Carl
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

<SA1123.pdf>
[b]

carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Garmin / PSE issue Reply with quote

Don’t know – but I have the PMA 7000B.

Recommend calling the PSE service line and ask about your panel – they are very familiar with this problem.

Carl

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Bob Leffler
Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2012 8:42 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Garmin / PSE issue

Does it impact all PSE models or just one?

Sent from my iPad
On Jun 17, 2012, at 8:25 PM, "Carl Froehlich" <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)> wrote:
Quote:

There fix is “version 2.01” of the communication software. Again – the fix makes it better but it is still not what it should be.

Carl

SERVICE ADVISORY
AFFECTED PRODUCTS
DESCRIPTION
RESOLUTION

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Bob Leffler
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)

Carl,

Thanks,

Bob

Sent from my iPad
Quote:

<![if !supportLists]>1. <![endif]>Tighten the nose gear nut after the first couple of landings. I did mine at 9 hours and it was way loose. The 9th hour landing nose gear feedback (shimmy) was pronounced.
<![if !supportLists]>2. <![endif]>While there has been a lot of discussion on the list about greasing the prop, recommend you at least do the “after the first hour” greasing as discussed in the Hartwell manual.
<![if !supportLists]>3. <![endif]>I have a GTN-650 and a PS Engineering Audio panel. It turns out Garmin has a software problem that screws up mic audio gain if you use one of these panels. There is a fix, but you have to go to a Garmin dealer to get it (and then it still does not work as good as it should). I’d still much rather have an updated GX-60 and a SL-30 combo instead of this over priced box.
<![if !supportLists]>4. <![endif]>I’m on my second round of mounting the wheel pants and leg fairings. They make a huge speed difference but they are a pain to get right. First flight today the ball was in the center but favoring the right side. Second flight (no changes to the pants or fairings) the ball was in the center but favoring the left side. Go figure. With the pants and fairing off the ball is dead center.
<![if !supportLists]>5. <![endif]>Rigging. It took six months of chasing my tail to get the rigging right on the 8A (easier once I broke the code). The 10 was dead on right out of the box.
<![if !supportLists]>6. <![endif]>Elevator trim. Remember that half way in not neutral. Make sure you know where neutral really is on the panel, start there and then figure out your setting you want for takeoff.

Carl
Quote:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-Listhttp://forums.matronics.comhttp://www.matronics.com/contribution

<SA1123.pdf>
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: