Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Pressure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Fuel Pressure Reply with quote

p { margin: 0; }p { margin: 0; }

Many Thanks to Pete, Chuck, and Gerald for all the great info.
I usually use the boost pump on take off but for some reason that morning I did not. I was not in a hurry and was the only one flying off the field at the time. Engine was cool. I guess I need a check list for my check list.
I am using 92 Oct. Non Ethanol Marine fuel and an automotive clear cleanable 5 micron fuel filter with replaceable elements. It shows every piece of grit or trash and I have cleaned it only once in 3 yrs and it did not need it then. The filter is between my pump and carb so if the filter clogs the pressure would go up instead if down. I will double check my gascolator though. It is in the belly and is before the boost and engine driven pumps. If the screen is partially gunked up it would drop the pressure. Draining the quick drain only showed a few tiny grit particles.

I am going to set my low fuel pressure alarm down and monitor very closely.

Will post any thing unusual.

Thanks again

Bobby ( age 74 )
Zodiac 601 XL "B"
Jabiru 3300 S/N 1141
Sensenich 64" x 51" Prop
Bing Carb 260 Main & 285 Needle Jet
Status - Flying 153 hrs.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pressure Reply with quote

Bobby:

Isn't the fuel pump part of your fuel supply system and doesn't it also deserve a clean fuel supply?  So why not put the fuel filter as the first line of defense in the entire system.   The only thing you will have to change your thought process - Clogged Fuel Filter = LOW or NO Fuel Pressure.  
One thing I have learned about human nature is: When it comes to gauges - NO INDICATION gets one attention.  Higher indications require an additional thinking process which is not normal and confusing and requires MORE Time in deciphering.  Was that pressure 5 PSI or 8 PSI, doesn't pressure increase when fluid is cold, was that were the needle was at start up, where was the needle on the last flight, I'm looking at the gauge from an angle- does that mean it is lower than it really is?  Too many questions.  No needle movement = You have a problem = LAND.

Barry

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 3:15 PM, <BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net (BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
[quote]

Many Thanks to Pete, Chuck, and Gerald for all the great info.
I usually use the boost pump on take off but for some reason that morning I did not. I was not in a hurry and was the only one flying off the field at the time. Engine was cool. I guess I need a check list for my check list.
I am using 92 Oct. Non Ethanol Marine fuel and an automotive clear cleanable 5 micron fuel filter with replaceable elements. It shows every piece of grit or trash and I have cleaned it only once in 3 yrs and it did not need it then. The filter is between my pump and carb so if the filter clogs the pressure would go up instead if down. I will double check my gascolator though. It is in the belly and is before the boost and engine driven pumps. If the screen is partially gunked up it would drop the pressure. Draining the quick drain only showed a few tiny grit particles.

I am going to set my low fuel pressure alarm down and monitor very closely.

Will post any thing unusual.

Thanks again

Bobby  ( age 74 )
Zodiac 601 XL "B"
Jabiru  3300  S/N  1141
Sensenich 64" x 51" Prop
Status - Flying  153 hrs.

Quote:

ist" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pressure Reply with quote

p { margin: 0; }p { margin: 0; }p { margin: 0; }List
Today I determined to find out what caused the fuel pressure drop. I shut off the fuel valve and drained only about 2 tablespoons full of fuel out of the gascolator - which I thought a little odd. When I removed the gascolator it was full of fuel. The quick drain was partly plugged but nothing that I could see that would cause that - only a few tiny grit particles that I picked up with a white rag. I then removed the gasket and screen and got fuel running down my elbow from downstream of the gascolator. I wondered why it did not drain back thru the stainless steel screen. I looked carefully at the screen in daylight and saw it was about 80% blocked with a transparent goop that a degreaser had little effect on. I cleaned it further with soap and water but finally blew it back from the direction of flow and could see small particles flying off the screen as the air nozzle hit it. I continued all around the screen until it was clean.
I re-installed the screen and gascolator and ran up really good on both tanks and then test flew.
My fuel pressure was back where it was and only dropped a little at full throttle but never below 2.2 psi.
I believe the residue to be a left over of evaporated Ethanol fuel that had been in my grandson's 5 gal. gas can for his Jon boat for over a year. I saw the goop in the bottom of the can and rinsed it. Thinking that was sufficient. It was not. My engine failed after putting the 5 gal. of fresh fuel in the left tank back in December. Luckily it quit on taxi out and I found out what it was. I cleaned and drained the tanks several times and thought I had it all out. Apparently it was enough residue to gradually coat the fine strainer in the gascolator.
I will watch closely and clean regularly for the next few months to see if it returns.

Thanks Again for all the helpful inputs
Bobby ( age 74 )
Zodiac 601 XL "B"
Jabiru 3300 S/N  1141
Sensenich 64" x 51" Prop
Status - Flying 154 hrs.

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Fuel Pressure Reply with quote

Bobby:

Ethanol does NOT make a transparent goop.  
Have you ever used or sealed your tanks with Silicone (RTV)?  
Have you ever used Teflon Tape on ANY fittings?
How OLD was the fuel?  Old fuel, especially MoGas goes through quite a few chemical changes and can clog up a system.
SHUTTING OFF the fuel valve WILL cut OFF the fuel flow and will create a suction in the system so there should NOT be any free flow or great flow of fuel.  It is doing what a shout off valve is designed to do.  THAT is why you only got a two tablespoons of gas.  Of course when you cracked the fuel line the fuel ran down your are - - -You broke the suction, you made the fuel flow.

Fuel residue a.k.a. varnish can be removed with MEK.  
  • Get a glass jar
  • Remove the screen
  • Fill the jar with MEK
  • Soak the screen in the MEK for 5 minutes
  • Blow out the screen with air - From the inside out
  • SPECIAL NOTE - DOES THE SCREEN HAVE PLASTIC?  OF SO MEK WILL DESTROY THE PLASTIC/SCREEN
Now - If you have this goop in the gascolator screen - Don't you think you would also have this goop INSIDE the carburetor!!!  Don't Fly - CLEAN.

I would also FLUSH  - BOTH - Tanks - And replace with fresh gas.  Do you have a center tank/header tank.  If so, flush that also.
You have a job ahead of you.  

Barry
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 5:54 PM, <BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net (BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
[quote] List
Today I determined to find out what caused the fuel pressure drop. I shut off the fuel valve and drained only about 2 tablespoons full of fuel out of the gascolator - which I thought a little odd. When I removed the gascolator it was full of fuel. The quick drain was partly plugged but nothing that I could see  that would cause that - only a few tiny grit particles that I picked up with a white rag. I then removed the gasket and screen and got fuel running down my elbow from downstream of the gascolator. I wondered why it did not drain back thru the stainless steel screen. I looked carefully at the screen in daylight and saw it was about 80% blocked with a transparent goop that a degreaser had little effect on. I cleaned it further with soap and water but finally blew it back from the direction of flow and could see small particles flying off the screen as the air nozzle hit it. I continued all around the screen until it was clean.
I re-installed the screen and gascolator and ran up really good on both tanks and then test flew.
My fuel pressure was back where it was and only dropped a little at full throttle but never below 2.2 psi.
I believe the residue to be a left over of evaporated Ethanol fuel that had been in my grandson's 5 gal. gas can for his Jon boat for over a year. I saw the goop in the bottom of the can and rinsed it. Thinking that was sufficient. It was not. My engine failed after putting the 5 gal. of fresh fuel in the left tank back in December. Luckily it quit on taxi out and I found out what it was. I cleaned and drained the tanks several times and thought I had it all out. Apparently it was enough residue to gradually coat the fine strainer in the gascolator. 
I will watch closely and clean regularly for the next few months to see if it returns.

Bobby  ( age 74 )
Zodiac 601 XL "B"
Jabiru  3300  S/N  1141
Sensenich 64" x 51" Prop
Status - Flying  154 hrs.

Quote:

tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

pete(at)usjabiru.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Fuel Pressure Reply with quote

Bobby,

What you are describing is similar to what we have seen several times now in fuel tanks and carburetors from aircraft operated on auto fuel. There seems to be a stringy, mucus like substance that forms in the auto gas that eventually winds up in filters, gascolators and carburetors. In two of the cases the result was a fatal crash and when carbs were sent to us for evaluation we found this similar sticky, slimy substance in the carb which prevented proper functioning of the slide.

At my forum last spring at Sun N Fun there was a biochemist in the room who told us that the substance was a bacterial growth that occurs in the boundary layer between ethanol (after it absorbs enough water to separate out of the gas) and the gasoline. I don’t know if that is true or not.

We’ve seen other engines that were operated on auto gas where the internals were covered with a sticky black substance that looked and smelled like caramelized sugar. We’ve seen other aircraft where even non ethanol gas was dissolving the tank sealant.

At one of our local stations here that advertised non ethanol gas I tested a sample (after my pickup truck began running poorly) and found the non ethanol gas to contain about 20% ethanol. The station owners were unaware and apparently the delivery got screwed up and too much ethanol was added at the terminal.

The point is that the quality of auto gas at the point of its dispensing (the pump) is poorly controlled. Also, the effect of auto gas (with today’s ever changing mixture of additives) in aircraft engines has not been extensively studied. I see some of the results of what seems in my opinion to be an escalating problem but my opinion is not based on a very large sample of properly collected data. I’ve just seen the aftermath of some of the contamination similar to what Bobby describes.

Pete

From: owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of FLYaDIVE
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2012 6:28 AM
To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Fuel Pressure

Bobby:

Ethanol does NOT make a transparent goop.

Have you ever used or sealed your tanks with Silicone (RTV)?

Have you ever used Teflon Tape on ANY fittings?

How OLD was the fuel? Old fuel, especially MoGas goes through quite a few chemical changes and can clog up a system.

SHUTTING OFF the fuel valve WILL cut OFF the fuel flow and will create a suction in the system so there should NOT be any free flow or great flow of fuel. It is doing what a shout off valve is designed to do. THAT is why you only got a two tablespoons of gas. Of course when you cracked the fuel line the fuel ran down your are - - -You broke the suction, you made the fuel flow.

Fuel residue a.k.a. varnish can be removed with MEK.
  • Get a glass jar
  • Remove the screen
  • Fill the jar with MEK
  • Soak the screen in the MEK for 5 minutes
  • Blow out the screen with air - From the inside out
  • SPECIAL NOTE - DOES THE SCREEN HAVE PLASTIC? OF SO MEK WILL DESTROY THE PLASTIC/SCREEN

Now - If you have this goop in the gascolator screen - Don't you think you would also have this goop INSIDE the carburetor!!! Don't Fly - CLEAN.

I would also FLUSH - BOTH - Tanks - And replace with fresh gas. Do you have a center tank/header tank. If so, flush that also.

You have a job ahead of you.

Barry

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 5:54 PM, <BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net (BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
List
Today I determined to find out what caused the fuel pressure drop. I shut off the fuel valve and drained only about 2 tablespoons full of fuel out of the gascolator - which I thought a little odd. When I removed the gascolator it was full of fuel. The quick drain was partly plugged but nothing that I could see that would cause that - only a few tiny grit particles that I picked up with a white rag. I then removed the gasket and screen and got fuel running down my elbow from downstream of the gascolator. I wondered why it did not drain back thru the stainless steel screen. I looked carefully at the screen in daylight and saw it was about 80% blocked with a transparent goop that a degreaser had little effect on. I cleaned it further with soap and water but finally blew it back from the direction of flow and could see small particles flying off the screen as the air nozzle hit it. I continued all around the screen until it was clean.

Bobby ( age 74 )
Zodiac 601 XL "B"
Jabiru 3300 S/N 1141
Sensenich 64" x 51" Prop
Status - Flying 154 hrs.
Quote:
ist" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-Listtp://forums.matronics.com_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Fuel Pressure Reply with quote

Very interesting Pete:

I did not think of the bacterial growth issue. I know that kerosene has a
bacterial growth and there is an additive you can purchase at places like
Home Depot to kill the bacteria. I wonder if it will work with MoGas?

Something else to consider... What will be happening to our cars when the
EPA and obama increase the level of ethanol to 15 and 20% in the next five
years?

Barry

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Pete Krotje <pete(at)usjabiru.com> wrote:

[quote] Bobby,****

What you are describing is similar to what we have seen several times now
in fuel tanks and carburetors from aircraft operated on auto fuel. There
seems to be a stringy, mucus like substance that forms in the auto gas that
eventually winds up in filters, gascolators and carburetors. In two of the
cases the result was a fatal crash and when carbs were sent to us for
evaluation we found this similar sticky, slimy substance in the carb which
prevented proper functioning of the slide.****

At my forum last spring at Sun N Fun there was a biochemist in the room
who told us that the substance was a bacterial growth that occurs in the
boundary layer between ethanol (after it absorbs enough water to separate
out of the gas) and the gasoline. I don’t know if that is true or not.***

We’ve seen other engines that were operated on auto gas where the
internals were covered with a sticky black substance that looked and
smelled like caramelized sugar. We’ve seen other aircraft where even non
ethanol gas was dissolving the tank sealant.****

At one of our local stations here that advertised non ethanol gas I tested
a sample (after my pickup truck began running poorly) and found the non
ethanol gas to contain about 20% ethanol. The station owners were unaware
and apparently the delivery got screwed up and too much ethanol was added
at the terminal. ****

The point is that the quality of auto gas at the point of its dispensing
(the pump) is poorly controlled. Also, the effect of auto gas (with
today’s ever changing mixture of additives) in aircraft engines has not
been extensively studied. I see some of the results of what seems in my
opinion to be an escalating problem but my opinion is not based on a very
large sample of properly collected data. I’ve just seen the aftermath of
some of the contamination similar to what Bobby describes.****

Pete****

*From:* owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:
owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com] *On Behalf Of *FLYaDIVE
*Sent:* Friday, June 22, 2012 6:28 AM
*To:* jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com
*Subject:* Re: Fuel Pressure****

Bobby:****

Ethanol does NOT make a transparent goop. ****

Have you ever used or sealed your tanks with Silicone (RTV)? ****

Have you ever used Teflon Tape on ANY fittings?****

How OLD was the fuel? Old fuel, especially MoGas goes through quite a few
chemical changes and can clog up a system.****

SHUTTING OFF the fuel valve WILL cut OFF the fuel flow and will create a
suction in the system so there should NOT be any free flow or great flow of
fuel. It is doing what a shout off valve is designed to do. THAT is why
you only got a two tablespoons of gas. Of course when you cracked the fuel
line the fuel ran down your are - - -You broke the suction, you made the
fuel flow.****

Fuel residue a.k.a. varnish can be removed with MEK. ****

- Get a glass jar****
- Remove the screen****
- Fill the jar with MEK****
- Soak the screen in the MEK for 5 minutes****
- Blow out the screen with air - From the inside out****
- SPECIAL NOTE - DOES THE SCREEN HAVE PLASTIC? OF SO MEK
WILL DESTROY THE PLASTIC/SCREEN****

Now - If you have this goop in the gascolator screen - Don't you think you
would also have this goop INSIDE the carburetor!!! Don't Fly - CLEAN.****

I would also FLUSH - BOTH - Tanks - And replace with fresh gas. Do you
have a center tank/header tank. If so, flush that also.****

You have a job ahead of you. ****

Barry****

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 5:54 PM, <BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net> wrote:****

List
Today I determined to find out what caused the fuel pressure drop. I shut
off the fuel valve and drained only about 2 tablespoons full of fuel out of
the gascolator - which I thought a little odd. When I removed the
gascolator it was full of fuel. The quick drain was partly plugged but
nothing that I could see that would cause that - only a few tiny grit
particles that I picked up with a white rag. I then removed the gasket and
screen and got fuel running down my elbow from downstream of the
gascolator. I wondered why it did not drain back thru the stainless steel
screen. I looked carefully at the screen in daylight and saw it was about
80% blocked with a transparent goop that a degreaser had little effect on

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Fuel Pressure Reply with quote

Thanks to Pete and Barry for the insights.
My tanks are aluminum with teflon / braided S.S. hoses to the fuselage and #6 aluminum tubing with AN fittings to the firewall. I am using 1/4" i.d. ethanol approved tubing from the firewall to the carb. No sealants were used in the tanks except at he threads and no teflon tape has ever been used. The plane has been flying since 2007 without any fuel problems until I introduced the junk in the plastic gas can.
Really old gasoline will turn to a varnish like transparent paste and if left to dry will become nearly solid. Also it develops a smell that can attributed to it. I have traced this substance back to the 5 gal. plastic can - trace amounts were still in it.
I flew nearly an hour today with no problems. After sitting for about 30 minutes in the heat at another airport I was visiting the elec. boost pump cavatated but after the engine started the pressure came up to normal.
I hope I have seen the last of that problem but I will be very cautious and check a lot closer form now on.

Thanks again for all who contributed to helping me find the problem.

Bobby

[quote][b]

DaveG601XL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pressure Reply with quote

Bobby,

Let me throw in an observation I had on my 601 during early flight testing that had a similar symptom which may or may not have anything to do with your experience. My ACS gascolator came with the standard 120 micron mesh SS screen (P/N 10543-1). In the 2008 timeframe, ACS introduced a smaller 74 micron mesh screen (P/N 05-03436). Thinking that smaller was better from a filtration standpoint, I bought a 74 micron screen. Up to now I had no fuel delivery issues whatsoever and was only using fresh 100LL. I put the new screen in and all of a sudden I could not perform the standard mag check run-up unless the boost pump was on. Without the pump, the engine seemed like it was running out of fuel. I sumped the gaslocator and only a small amount of fuel would come out, but when I pulled the screen, I got doused with all the fuel sitting on top of it. Hmmm, sounds kind of like your symptom. I pulled the small mesh screen and, as expected with only 15 minutes of run time, it was clean. I put the original larger mesh screen back in and have been flying with it problem-free for almost 4 years now. I think the 74 micron screen is just too small for the head pressure in a low wing airplane unless you plan to run boost pumps all the time. I cut it up and threw it in the trash.

Just something to consider depending on which gascolater and screen mesh size you may be using.

Good luck,

leubanks(at)sunflower.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pressure Reply with quote

David
I believe that the filter screen should actually trap any contaminants
inside the bowl area. Is it possible that it is plumbed incorrect? The bowl
should have been the area full of fuel instead of fuel being trapped before
it gets to the bowl.
Larry Eubanks
---

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pressure Reply with quote

Hello David:

Sure sounds like a fuel restriction problem.  
But, maybe it was NOT caused by the finer mess; maybe the finer mess was the last straw.  There is a FAR requirement for Gravity Feed Systems for the size of the fuel tubing.  If there is a Mechanical Fuel Pump that requirement goes away since the pump is on when ever the engine is running.  Boost pumps don't count.  So, what size are the fuel lines?  Next question - Work out the surface area of the screen Vs micron hole size.  If that is under size as well - Yup - Fuel restriction.

Barry

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 3:00 PM, DaveG601XL <david.m.gallagher(at)ge.com (david.m.gallagher(at)ge.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> JabiruEngine-List message posted by: "DaveG601XL" <david.m.gallagher(at)ge.com (david.m.gallagher(at)ge.com)>

Bobby,

Let me throw in an observation I had on my 601 during early flight testing that had a similar symptom which may or may not have anything to do with your experience.  My ACS gascolator came with the standard 120 micron mesh SS screen (P/N 10543-1).  In the 2008 timeframe, ACS introduced a smaller 74 micron mesh screen (P/N 05-03436).  Thinking that smaller was better from a filtration standpoint, I bought a 74 micron screen.  Up to now I had no fuel delivery issues whatsoever and was only using fresh 100LL.  I put the new screen in and all of a sudden I could not perform the standard mag check run-up unless the boost pump was on.  Without the pump, the engine seemed like it was running out of fuel.  I sumped the gaslocator and only a small amount of fuel would come out, but when I pulled the screen, I got doused with all the fuel sitting on top of it.  Hmmm, sounds kind of like your symptom.  I pulled the small mesh screen and, as expected with only 15 minutes of run time, it!
 was clean.  I put the original larger mesh screen back in and have been flying with it problem-free for almost 4 years now.  I think the 74 micron screen is just too small for the head pressure in a low wing airplane unless you plan to run boost pumps all the time.  I cut it up and threw it in the trash.

Just something to consider depending on which gascolater and screen mesh size you may be using.

Good luck,

--------
David Gallagher
Zodiac 601 XL-B: flying, 200+ hours now
Next project under construction: Aircamper

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=376583#376583

===========
-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

Alvie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Fuel Pressure Reply with quote

Reply to jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com

[quote] From: DaveG601XL <david.m.gallagher(at)ge.com>
To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2012 1:00 PM
Subject: Re: Fuel Pressure

--> JabiruEngine-List message posted by: "DaveG601XL" <david.m.gallagher(at)ge.com (david.m.gallagher(at)ge.com)>

Bobby,

Let me throw in an observation I had on my 601 during early flight testing that had a similar symptom which may or may not have anything to do with your experience. My ACS gascolator came with the standard 120 micron mesh SS screen (P/N 10543-1). In the 2008 timeframe, ACS introduced a smaller 74 micron mesh screen (P/N 05-03436). Thinking that smaller was better from a filtration standpoint, I bought a 74 micron screen. Up to now I had no fuel delivery issues whatsoever and was only using fresh 100LL. I put the new screen in and all of a sudden I could not perform the standard mag check run-up unless the boost pump was on. Without the pump, the engine seemed like it was running out of fuel. I sumped the gaslocator and only a small amount of fuel would come out, but when I pulled the screen, I got doused with all the fuel sitting on top of it. Hmmm, sounds kind of like your symptom. I pulled the small mesh screen and, as expected with only 15 minutes of run time, it!
was clean. I put the original larger mesh screen back in and have been flying with it problem-free for almost 4 years now. I think the 74 micron screen is just too small for the head pressure in a low wing airplane unless you plan to run boost pumps all the time. I cut it up and threw it in the trash.

Good luck,

--------
David Gallagher
Zodiac 601 XL-B: flying, 200+ hours now
Next project under construction: Aircamper

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=376583#376583http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?J - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -< &nbsp========================

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: