Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Database Updates Availability

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLuckey(at)pacbell.net

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: GPS Database Updates Availability Reply with quote

I’m considering buying a used Garmin GNC-300XL GPS/Comm. I want to know how long database updates will be available for that model. I emailed Garmin and they said that since Jeppesen handles the Database Subscriptions that I should contact them.

I just spoke w/ Jeppsen and you’ll never guess what they said. Yup, you guessed it! Jeppesen said it was up to Garmin to decide how long to support any given unit.

I pushed a little harder and was told that Jeppesen supplies the Master database to Garmin & other manufacturers. Each manufacturer then messages that data into whatever format their hardware needs. Then the manufacturer provides the specially-formatted file to Jeppesen for use with Jeppesen’s subscription service.

I had another service rep (at) Jeppesen tell me that there is no official policy on sun-setting databases and that it was essentially a decision that is made year-to-year based upon demand.

Two versions of the Truth – go to love it!

3 Questions:
  1. What do people who own them think of the 300XL?
  2. Does anyone have any better info on the availability of database updates? (I can’t be the only one with this question)
  3. Does anyone have an idea of how many 300XLs were sold? ( this info might help us make our own projections as to availability)

Jeff Luckey

[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
bbradburry(at)bellsouth.n

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: GPS Database Updates Availability Reply with quote

I have a KMD 150 made by Bendix King. It is a moving map with GPS in it. The most recent database update was in Feb of 2005!
So this MFD has not been supported for a long time!
This brings up a question that I hope someone on the list can answer.

I have this KMD 150 moving map and also the Garmin GNS430W. The KMD can be used with either the internal GPS or with an external GPS. Both Honeywell and Garmin agree that the KMD should be able to read the GNS, however, I have been unable to make this happen. The KMD works fine if I use the internal GPS, but if I switch it to external it can not read the GNS. I have contacted both Garmin and Honeywell. Garmin thinks it is a Honeywell problem and Honeywell, well, they just don’t seem to care. Probably because they don’t really support the unit anymore.

I would really like to have the KMD get its input from the GNS430W because it is still being updated. Has anyone on the list integrated these two devices before or can tell me how to do it?

I can provide the install manual for both units if anyone would need to look at them.

Bill B

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jeff Luckey
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 5:35 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: GPS Database Updates Availability

I’m considering buying a used Garmin GNC-300XL GPS/Comm. I want to know how long database updates will be available for that model. I emailed Garmin and they said that since Jeppesen handles the Database Subscriptions that I should contact them.

I just spoke w/ Jeppsen and you’ll never guess what they said. Yup, you guessed it! Jeppesen said it was up to Garmin to decide how long to support any given unit.

I pushed a little harder and was told that Jeppesen supplies the Master database to Garmin & other manufacturers. Each manufacturer then messages that data into whatever format their hardware needs. Then the manufacturer provides the specially-formatted file to Jeppesen for use with Jeppesen’s subscription service.

I had another service rep (at) Jeppesen tell me that there is no official policy on sun-setting databases and that it was essentially a decision that is made year-to-year based upon demand.

3 Questions:
  2. Does anyone have any better info on the availability of database updates? (I can’t be the only one with this question)
  3. Does anyone have an idea of how many 300XLs were sold? ( this info might help us make our own projections as to availability)

Jeff Luckey
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: GPS Database Updates Availability Reply with quote

Good Afternoon Jeff,

There is no way I can give you an answer as to how long the database will be available, but I will try to answer a few of your questions.

I have a GNC300XL installed and find that it works very well.

It IS IFR approvable.

No idea how many were built, but I do see quite a few around.

Chances are you will have to have some sort of heading resolver and some sort of panel annunciator, but that is not certain. Each FAA FSDO is a Fiefdom unto itself and they vary widely on their interpretations of the applicable regulations. On top of that, most avionics shops have derived a method of compliance that satisfies their supervising FAA inspector. May or may not be an economical installation!

I find the GPS set to be very reliable and relatively easy to use. The comm unit works well.

The box is much shorter than most panel mount units which makes it a lot easier to mount than most other similar sets. The compact nature of the box is what sold me on the GNC300XL.

I think the databases will be available for quite some time. Garmin massages the data that goes to Jepp so they do make a few extra bucks on every update. Easy money as far as I can tell.

Unfortunately, I do NOT have much confidence in Garmin's attitude toward repair. They have a history of dumping the product once it is no longer being sold new.

Jeppesen is very reliable and I am positive that the only limiting factor will be Garmin.

I have a couple of Trimbles in other airplanes. Free Flight now owns the rights to the Trimble line and they have been very good about keeping the boxes working and supplying Jeppesen with the needed data.

The only draw back I see with the GNC300XL is the fact that it was made by Garmin. Good box, lousy company.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

In a message dated 7/3/2012 4:43:13 P.M. Central Daylight Time, JLuckey(at)pacbell.net writes:
Quote:

I just spoke w/ Jeppsen and you’ll never guess what they said.  Yup, you guessed it! Jeppesen said it was up to Garmin to decide how long to support any given unit.

3 Questions:

Jeff Luckey

Quote:

[quote][b]

JohnInReno

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: GPS Database Updates Availability Reply with quote

Bill,

I think you are on the wrong track. If you can get the KMD to read the GNS, it will still be getting the raw GPS location the same as the internal GPS. In other words, the communication from the GPS has nothing to do with the map.

sorry,
john

On 7/3/2012 2:56 PM, Bill Bradburry wrote:

[quote] v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]--> st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) } <![endif]-->
I have a KMD 150 made by Bendix King. It is a moving map with GPS in it. The most recent database update was in Feb of 2005!
So this MFD has not been supported for a long time!
This brings up a question that I hope someone on the list can answer.

I have this KMD 150 moving map and also the Garmin GNS430W. The KMD can be used with either the internal GPS or with an external GPS. Both Honeywell and Garmin agree that the KMD should be able to read the GNS, however, I have been unable to make this happen. The KMD works fine if I use the internal GPS, but if I switch it to external it can not read the GNS. I have contacted both Garmin and Honeywell. Garmin thinks it is a Honeywell problem and Honeywell, well, they just don’t seem to care. Probably because they don’t really support the unit anymore.

I would really like to have the KMD get its input from the GNS430W because it is still being updated. Has anyone on the list integrated these two devices before or can tell me how to do it?

I can provide the install manual for both units if anyone would need to look at them.

Bill B

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Jeff Luckey
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 5:35 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: GPS Database Updates Availability

3 Questions:

Jeff Luckey
Quote:
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-Listhttp://forums.matronics.com
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
3 [b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: