Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Use Your iPhone with Your Garmin Audio Panel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobair(at)me.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: How to Use Your iPhone with Your Garmin Audio Panel Reply with quote

Folks,

Rather than ask a question, I thought I'd pass on one solution I came up with if you want/need to plug your iPhone into your Garmin Audio Panel (my audio panel is the non-TSO'd GMA 240 but I assume this approach will work with other Garmin audio panels, at least). I need this capability to call ATC for IFR clearances from uncontrolled fields where there aren't other communication capabilities.
Best regards,
Bob
GlaStar N248BF
~460 Hours
Per "Peter" at Garmin Tech Support, the three conductors in the 2.5 mm patch cord that plugs into the audio panel have the following functions:

Tip = Mic

Ring = Audio

Sleeve = Common/Ground.

He had access to documentation for the iPhone's four-conductor, 3.5 mm plug/receptacle and he said it is wired up like this:

Tip = R.H. Audio Channel

Ring No. 1 = L.H. Audio Channel

Ring No. 2 = Common/Ground

Sleeve = Mic.

I found the following item (iPhone TTY Adapter) on Apple's on-line store. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA854G/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOQ#overview (The part number is MA854G/A.) Our local Apple store had one in stock so I bought it. It is pretty spendy at $19 but it is an Apple, not third-party, product and the build quality looks good (it is very small and could get lost easily). You may be able to find another source that is less expensive.

I checked it out with my ohmmeter. Here are the results:

Male 3.5 mm Plug Female 2.5 mm Receptacle

Tip (open)

Ring No. 1 Ring

Ring No. 2 Sleeve

Sleeve Tip

I tested it out tonight with the 2.5mm patch cord that came with the audio panel and it works just fine. I got mono audio in both ears on my Bose headset. My wife said she could hear me just fine (this was a ground test without the engine running) and I could hear her just fine. As you place the call, you do hear all the normal ringing sounds as the call goes through.

So now you know where to get an item that will allow iPhone users to plug their phone into their Garmin audio panels.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
tim2542(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: How to Use Your iPhone with Your Garmin Audio Panel Reply with quote

Thanks Bob!
I've been meaning to figure this out myself. I have a PSE panel but Im going to assume there is some sort of standard on these and just order the adapter from Amazon. I see them there all the way from the genuine apple product at $14 down to some that cost less than the shipping.
Tim

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 16, 2012, at 7:33 PM, Bob Falstad <bobair(at)me.com (bobair(at)me.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Folks,

Rather than ask a question, I thought I'd pass on one solution I came up with if you want/need to plug your iPhone into your Garmin Audio Panel (my audio panel is the non-TSO'd GMA 240 but I assume this approach will work with other Garmin audio panels, at least). I need this capability to call ATC for IFR clearances from uncontrolled fields where there aren't other communication capabilities.
Best regards,
Bob
GlaStar N248BF
~460 Hours
Per "Peter" at Garmin Tech Support, the three conductors in the 2.5 mm patch cord that plugs into the audio panel have the following functions:  

Tip = Mic

Ring = Audio

Sleeve = Common/Ground.

He had access to documentation for the iPhone's four-conductor, 3.5 mm plug/receptacle and he said it is wired up like this:

Tip = R.H. Audio Channel

Sleeve = Mic.

I found the following item (iPhone TTY Adapter) on Apple's on-line store. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA854G/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOQ#overview (The part number is MA854G/A.) Our local Apple store had one in stock so I bought it. It is pretty spendy at $19 but it is an Apple, not third-party, product and the build quality looks good (it is very small and could get lost easily). You may be able to find another source that is less expensive.

Tip (open)

Ring No. 1 Ring

Ring No. 2 Sleeve

Sleeve Tip

I tested it out tonight with the 2.5mm patch cord that came with the audio panel and it works just fine. I got mono audio in both ears on my Bose headset. My wife said she could hear me just fine (this was a ground test without the engine running) and I could hear her just fine. As you place the call, you do hear all the normal ringing sounds as the call goes through.

So now you know where to get an item that will allow iPhone users to plug their phone into their Garmin audio panels.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

stuart(at)stuarthutchison

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: How to Use Your iPhone with Your Garmin Audio Panel Reply with quote

Thank you Bob. I'm glad to avoid the extra research for my iPhone and a GMA-240 as well !

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Bob Falstad
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 12:33 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: How to Use Your iPhone with Your Garmin Audio Panel

Folks,

Best regards,

Bob
GlaStar N248BF
~460 Hours

Tip = Mic

Ring = Audio

Sleeve = Common/Ground.

Tip = R.H. Audio Channel

Sleeve = Mic.

Tip (open)

Ring No. 1 Ring

Ring No. 2 Sleeve

Sleeve Tip

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: