Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VAF.net

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michael(at)sausen.net

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: VAF.net Reply with quote

Ya, the reality is he will never make it a subscriptions site as pilots are notoriously cheap. Smile If he did that his traffic would drop dramatically in favor of something like our list and the advertisers would laugh him out of his nice little gig before he could even lower his ad rates. He keeps up the donations facade just so people believe that they are the reason the site keeps running and he can squeeze out every penny from the site. Based on his own numbers he's already made almost 30k this year and 50k last year off of just donations. You can bet that anything to do with aviation in his household is written off as a business expense. I don't have a problem with running the site as his job, or collecting advertising and donations, I have a problem with his methods and tactics. They are very used car salesman like. Of course like everything else I post, this is just my opinion.

Seriously, I'm done now! Very Happy

Michael
do not archive

--

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
rv10pro(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: VAF.net Reply with quote

Oh the nostalgia of just why so many of us migrated over to support Matronics (to avoid the censorship and crass "in your face" advertising of VAF).  Tim, How many months ago was it? Most of the truly deep and entertaining posts like Primer Wars or Which is the Best EFIS screen took place while VAN held steadfast that the center rib on the RV-10 panel would block all of those who dared get rid of those beloved Steam Gauges.

I became a Lifetime EAA member well before 2009 and those contincious Board issues at EAA Headquarters became so PUBLIC.  I knew Tom back in the day when I hired him to do my first Airshow in 1988.  The iron reins of Paul were ever present and yet each year the big Show... not yet called Air Venture (rights bought from Evergreen International - Oregon) would bring the most eye popping innovations, dreams and experiments straight out of the pages of Popular Mechanics.  Few here know the thrill of the 1973 Playboy article that introduced Jim Bede and his BD5.  I loved watching Roger Moore (007 or at least his pilot double fly through the hangar).  I hired ( hired the late) Mike Brundage - SWA Captain to fly that BD-5J microjet at one of the airshows.  Lots of names have passed, great memories recalled.

I would love to see Warbirds, Experimentals and other Homebuilts be our focus.  Corporate Aircraft is rushing to be purchased by Chinese capital, acquired from the money of Joe Six Pack looking for the cheapest bargain at Wally World.  That said,  I still look forward to a Leon's Soft Custard as the sun sets, hearing the sounds of Steve Miller by starlight from the grounds of Wittman Field,  the smell of Corvus 13 in the air at 3 PM, and learning what is working, what is broken and to bring home a dream that Grey Backs will begin investing in the next generation of dreamers at a faster rate than in the last two decades.  I still wax fondly on the memory of James McClow or the 6,000 pictures of the build of "The Chunky Monkey".  NONE of that was possible on VAF.

I was once young, I was once a brunette, I was once a dreamer.  I was once a pilot Wannbe.  Lets get the Dreamers driving the bus and get the Commercial Aircraft Tycoons back hauling passengers and corporate officers.  This should be about watching Little Girls and Little Boys dream of what might yet be, while becoming Young Adults in the World Aviation Community change the direction in front of the politicos and money mongers.

Tuesday, June 24th 8:30AM Honda #7 I get to talk with Dick VanGrunsven /Bob & Ernie of Eagles Nest/Ted Millar of Teen Flight at a Panel Discussion about such things as Gonad Vents, bright young minds, allocation of federal educational dollars and Lighting a Fire in the hearts and minds of those who do not yet drink Corporate Kool-Aid.  Where are the Jon Roncz, Brent Regans and Lance Neibauers of this decade?  Alan Klapmeier and Lane Wallace - we need less marketing hype and more drive to create, to manufacture, TO FLY.  "Damned that Waldo Pepper, I miss you!"

Bring on EAA AirVenture '2012.
I am still buying!
Johnny Horizon - still chasing Wind Mills and other such airfoils

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Michael Sausen <michael(at)sausen.net (michael(at)sausen.net)> wrote:
[quote] --> RV10-List message posted by: Michael Sausen <michael(at)sausen.net (michael(at)sausen.net)>

Ya, the reality is he will never make it a subscriptions site as pilots are notoriously cheap.  Smile  If he did that his traffic would drop dramatically in favor of something like our list and the advertisers would laugh him out of his nice little gig before he could even lower his ad rates.  He keeps up the donations facade just so people believe that they are the reason the site keeps running and he can squeeze out every penny from the site.  Based on his own numbers he's already made almost 30k this year and 50k last year off of just donations.  You can bet that anything to do with aviation in his household is written off as a business expense.  I don't have a problem with running the site as his job, or collecting advertising and donations, I have a problem with his methods and tactics.  They are very used car salesman like. Of course like everything else I post, this is just my opinion.

Seriously, I'm done now!  Very Happy

Michael
do not archive

--

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: