Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need to add backup battery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vk3eka(at)bigpond.net.au

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Need to add backup battery Reply with quote

Tom,

I had a similar problem. I use two batteries, one on the firewall and the other behind the passenger seat. I have one fuel pump (the main) in the general electrical system and the other (the backup) directly connected to the second battery. I test the backup fuel pump before anything else is switched on. I also use it in the normal way on take-off and landing etc.

I also thought of the idea of having a switch or diode to separate the batteries but eventually decided against it. I needed two batteries to start the O-200 (can't understand why!!) and they both need to be connected in parallel to both get a decent charge. Having switches or diodes defeats those options.

I figured an electrical failure would come from an alternator failure or battery failure. The risk of both happening at the same time was rare the risk was good enough for me. If the alternator fails, I can switch everything off and turn the backup fuel pump on. No electrical instruments or anything else but at least the engine keeps turning.

Regarding the starting, I had lots of problems in the first few hours of kick-backs when starting. I felt there was never enough power from the Odessy battery. I moved it to the firewall so the cable was at its minimum length with still no joy. I eventually fitted two batteries in parallel. I also changed my start up procedure.

I now turn on only the master switch, start the engine and when oil pressure is up I turn on the alt switch. The alternator takes quite a lot of power when not turning. The kick back problem has not reoccurred and all is now running well (90 hours).

Hopefully a diagram is attached.

Cheers

Peter
Wonthaggi Australia
http://zodiac.cpc-world.com

From: owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Thomas R. Rogan
Sent: Sunday, 22 July 2012 2:04 AM
To: zenith601-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Need to add backup battery

I need help.

I am a new builder and I just finished building Zenith aircraft’s zodiac 601 XL-B. The engine I chose was the continental O-200 that was salvaged from a wind damaged Cessna 150. This engine did not come equipped with a fuel pump. I thought no problem I would install two electric fuel pumps the two fuel pumps were on separate circuit breakers. Once again I thought this is good redundancy. However, I had the alternator circuit breaker pop and I did not notice it. So at the 13th hour of my phase 1 testing I had the excitement of an off field landing. It turned out to be a beautiful landing no damage in fact does far it was my smoothest landing. I got a tow truck to take me back to the airport.

Someone told me that I could add a second battery that could be kept fully charged by my alternator. But, could not be drained through normal operations unless I flipped another switch to energize the electrical system. A counselor with the EAA advised me to get the book The AeroElectrics Connections by Bob Nuckolls. I got that book but there is so many diagrams I’m not sure the best one to use. I was hoping someone could tell me which would be the best for me.

Tom Rogan
tomrogan(at)gmail.com (tomrogan(at)gmail.com)
219-313-3600
Quote:
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

xl_electricals.docx
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  xl_electricals.docx
 Filesize:  155.46 KB
 Downloaded:  354 Time(s)

larrycmcfarland(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Need to add backup battery Reply with quote

Hi Tom,
After thinking about your problem, it seems yes, you can run two electric fuel pumps on separate circuits, but you don’t need two batteries to stay in the air. The Alternator circuit popped because there was
an overload or shorted condition and you need to find out what that was. Fuel pumps don’t take that much juice, so I doubt they were the reason. You need to find out what happened. It may be the breaker
for the alternator just wasn’t sized right for the job. Do a little research and get the fuse data for the alternator. I used a 60-amp breaker for my little 55 amp alternator on a Subaru.
Two batteries are worth having if that’s the only juice you have for ignition and always hot items.
If you have mags as most 0-200s do, you most likely only need one battery. It’s doubtful any one drawing would serve to show the diagram you need, but the knowledge you need is clearly expressed in proper ideas.
The AeroElectric Connection is a great study piece and it needs to be read and understood for you to arrive at a decent answer, so take your time and try to understand what’s going on.
Then fix it.

Larry McFarland

From: owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Thomas R. Rogan
Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2012 11:04 AM

I need help.

I am a new builder and I just finished building Zenith aircraft’s zodiac 601 XL-B. The engine I chose was the continental O-200 that was salvaged from a wind damaged Cessna 150. This engine did not come equipped with a fuel pump. I thought no problem I would install two electric fuel pumps the two fuel pumps were on separate circuit breakers. Once again I thought this is good redundancy. However, I had the alternator circuit breaker pop and I did not notice it. So at the 13th hour of my phase 1 testing I had the excitement of an off field landing. It turned out to be a beautiful landing no damage in fact does far it was my smoothest landing. I got a tow truck to take me back to the airport.

Someone told me that I could add a second battery that could be kept fully charged by my alternator. But, could not be drained through normal operations unless I flipped another switch to energize the electrical system. A counselor with the EAA advised me to get the book The AeroElectrics Connections by Bob Nuckolls. I got that book but there is so many diagrams I’m not sure the best one to use. I was hoping someone could tell me which would be the best for me.

Tom Rogan
219-313-3600
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

vk3eka(at)bigpond.net.au

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Need to add backup battery Reply with quote

Tom,

Forgot to add, well done on the landing, concentrates the mind doesn't it!

Cheers

Peter
Wonthaggi Australia
http://zodiac.cpc-world.com

Sent: Sunday, 22 July 2012 2:04 AM

I need help.

Tom Rogan
219-313-3600
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

mhubel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Need to add backup battery Reply with quote

Tom,
    First, assuming you don't want to consider getting the mechanical pump designed for this engine, I would keep this very simple. A small second (5 AH?) battery that was only connected through one switch to the second pump. Then, again to keep it very simple, I would use a high current Schottky diode between the aux battery and the main buss. If desired, one could put a fuse in series with that diode also.
    The assumption is that the second pump is normally not used and is only turned on during take off/landing and engine emergency.
    A Schottky diode has a very low voltage drop. It has a slightly higher reverse current than normal silicon diodes but it is still low enough for this. For example a part you can get at www.digikey.com number 497-12421-1-ND is good for 30 amps and has a reverse leak of 165 ua max.
    If you want to go this route and it is not clear how to do it, I can make a drawing.

Mark Hubelbank
Ch601XL-B
Jabiru 3300
Sensenich adj prop
Rotec TBI-40-3
240 Hours airframe

On 07/21/2012 12:03 PM, Thomas R. Rogan wrote:

[quote]I need help.

Tom Rogan
219-313-3600[b]

Jabiru 3300
Rotec TBI 40-3 carb
Sensenich ground adj prop.
240 hr TAF
Pictures at photo.hubbles.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: