Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flying the Grandchildren

View previous topic :: View next topic  
n142ds(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Flying the Grandchildren Reply with quote

OK .. I see all the pictures on VansAirforce of folks flying their young grandchildren.  What's everyone's opinion on the right age to take them for their first flight?

Thanks... David W. Schaefer
RV-6A N142DS  "Nerdgasm"
TMX-IO360 Dual-LightSpeed Plasma IIIs, Hartzell Blended Airfoil, GRT HX EFIS
Now building N383DS - Zenith CH-750!

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Dale Ensing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Flying the Grandchildren Reply with quote

I have found that it is really not about age as much as their sense of adventure. Some of my grandkids flew with me when they were four while one was still reluctant at fourteen. Main thing is that it has to be their decision as long as the parents are OK with it.

Dale Ensing
RV-6A N118DE

On Sep 19, 2012, at 8:38 PM, David Schaefer <n142ds(at)gmail.com (n142ds(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

[quote]OK .. I see all the pictures on VansAirforce of folks flying their young grandchildren. What's everyone's opinion on the right age to take them for their first flight?

RV-6A N142DS "Nerdgasm"

Quote:

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Weddington NC
dan.pat.b(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Flying the Grandchildren Reply with quote

Dale:My grandaughter was nine and grandson five when I took them for their first rides in my newly completed RV-7A - they both enjoyed the rides, my grandaughter more so than her brother - she is now 12 and insists we go flying and that she get some stick time every time she visits -  we took them both to Hawaii for three weeks this summer - she got a beaufiful ride in a classic WACO UPF-7 out of Dillingham Airfield on Oahu but was a bit disappointed when she had to settle for the historic/scenic ride instead of the aerobatic ride due to FAA regs about parachutes - 
enjoy your grandchildren and by all means take them flying - I would have started them at five or six if my plane had been flying - 
Dan Bergeron
RV-7A - N307TB
355 hours since 
     first flight on 08/04/09

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 8:50 PM, Dale Ensing <densing(at)carolina.rr.com (densing(at)carolina.rr.com)> wrote:
[quote]I have found that it is really not about age as much as their sense of adventure. Some of my grandkids flew with me when they were four while one was still reluctant at fourteen. Main thing is that it has to be their decision as long as the parents are OK with it. 

Dale Ensing
RV-6A N118DE

On Sep 19, 2012, at 8:38 PM, David Schaefer <n142ds(at)gmail.com (n142ds(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
OK .. I see all the pictures on VansAirforce of folks flying their young grandchildren.  What's everyone's opinion on the right age to take them for their first flight?

RV-6A N142DS  "Nerdgasm"

Quote:

3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

[b]

n223rv(at)wolflakeairport

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Flying the Grandchildren Reply with quote

My kids are 5 and 7 now, and I take them flying regularly in my RV-10. My daughter was 3 when she went on her first flight in my RV-4. But that was after having her sit in the plane a lot and did 2-3 taxi trips around the airport with her.
Like others have said, it's more about the child and their comfort more than their age.
-Mike Kraus
RV-4 sold
RV-10 flying
KitFox SS7 building

Sent from my iPhone

[quote]OK .. I see all the pictures on VansAirforce of folks flying their young grandchildren. What's everyone's opinion on the right age to take them for their first flight?

RV-6A N142DS "Nerdgasm"

Quote:

===================================
/www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
cs.com
matronics.com/contribution

[b]

deanpichon(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Flying the Grandchildren Reply with quote

I started flying my kids in my -4 when they turned 6 and only after they asked for a ride.  When they were 5 they flew several times in my friend's Navion.  The minute my -4 blew by them, they wanted to fly in Daddy's plane.  Now, all they want to do is aileron rolls everytime we fly.

Regards,

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 19:38:42 -0500
Subject: Flying the Grandchildren
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com

RV-6A N142DS  "Nerdgasm"
[quote]

get=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
ttp://forums.matronics.com
=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Hopperdhh(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Flying the Grandchildren Reply with quote

David,

I agree that kids should ask to be taken for a ride. If its their idea it will be a lot more
meaningful to them. I think anything less than 5 or 6 is too young -- they'll probably not
remember it when they grow a little older, so why take the risk?

Now here's the problem I have with my 8 year old (step) grandson. He really wants to go for
a ride, but his mom forbids it. In fact my step-son is now also forbidden to fly with me. I asked
why and she said there was nothing to keep the plane in the air! This girl has a college degree,
and flies commercially, so I doubt if that's the real reason. I admit that statistically flying
commercially is safer, so I'm sure that's why.

I think if my grandson wants to fly badly enough he will, eventually. But I can't go against his
mother's wishes, er, orders.

Dan
RV-7A N766DH
AntiSplat nose gear brace on order.
[quote][b]

lyleap(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Flying the Grandchildren Reply with quote

While these experiences aren't aviation related they do indicate the ability of young children to accommodate the situation.

Many years ago I was driving semi tractor trailer over the road. My friend had an Autocar that was a bit noisy and dirty. My wife and I put our infant daughter in her lap and went down the road in the Autocar. Within a very few minutes our daughter was asleep. She was comfortable.

More recently I took my then 7 year old great-grandaughter for a ride on my motorcycle. We went around a few city blocks with me be careful not to frighten her. (A huge mistake made by many riders giving a first ride to someone.) When i felt she was comfortable I cranked it up for some short bursts. As much as one can on city streets. When I turned in to our driveway, which is quite long, she said, "Go fast like you did before."

Kids are so much more adventurous that adults. No worries.
On 9/20/2012 2:44 PM, mr.gsun(at)gmail.com (mr.gsun(at)gmail.com) wrote:

Quote:
I've been flying my grandson around since he was about 10 months old. He is now 2 1/2 and talks about airplanes, helicopters, tractors and pickups. He is anxious to go with me on any flight he can and when stuck on the ground watching my "bounce" and go landing practice, he calls out "Grandfather!" whenever he sees me come around. He sits in a standard car-seat that I support about 8" up in my cargo area behind the seats. I installed a seat belt that holds him and the car-seat in place and the belts of the car-seat hold him from climbing out. He can see out, kick the back of our seats for fun and we have made a number of trips various places. Longest flight was about two hours and he did fine. He usually falls asleep after 15 minutes and often doesn't wake up until I shut down in front of the hangar. We use a small Bose Quiet Comfort headset with the wire removed and a bit more padding up top. We made a game out of putting it on so he can put it on while in the seat. I maintain, however, that it isn't near as noisy back there but his grandmother insists on the headset. He keeps growing as we continue to feed him so I suspect he will grow out of his carseat back there in a couple years. Perhaps that RV10 is in our future or I'll get to teach him to fly my RV7.....

do not archive

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 4:22 AM, Michael Kraus <n223rv(at)wolflakeairport.net (n223rv(at)wolflakeairport.net)> wrote:
Quote:
My kids are 5 and 7 now, and I take them flying regularly in my RV-10. My daughter was 3 when she went on her first flight in my RV-4. But that was after having her sit in the plane a lot and did 2-3 taxi trips around the airport with her.

Like others have said, it's more about the child and their comfort more than their age.

-Mike Kraus
RV-4 sold
RV-10 flying
KitFox SS7 building

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
OK .. I see all the pictures on VansAirforce of folks flying their young grandchildren. What's everyone's opinion on the right age to take them for their first flight?

RV-6A N142DS "Nerdgasm"

Quote:

==========
/www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
==========
cs.com
==========
matronics.com/contribution
==========

Quote:

t="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--
Lyle Peterson, EAA, PGR, AOPA, AAE,
MBS, AMA, MSCE, EAA Chapter 237
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: