Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wire size

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: wire size Reply with quote

I am in the process of designing the electrical system for the my RV-7.  I know this will be a very basic question, but herding electrons is not one of my strong suits.  I am starting to run wires through the wing for all the various electronics and I want to make sure I am reading the wire size figure in Chapter 11 in AC 43-13.  Just for my education lets use Duckworth Landing Lights as example.  I believe they recommend 16 AWG(for 55W lights) with a local / airframe ground.  Wanting to understand how all this stuff works I reference Figure 11-2 in AC 43-13.

First, I figure the AMPS drawn per light is 55 / 14 or 3.93; call it 4 AMPs continuous.  The wire run to the lights is estimated to be 18 feet. I am including the length of the wing + a portion of the fuselage and an estimate of the turns etc to reach the panel. Depending on how fine your pencil is, the chart seems to indicate I could use AWG 18.  If I want to run the ground all the way back to the panel, then the length will be 36 feet.  Then I need to use AWG 14 with the ensuing increase is weight.  I know the weight increase is minimal for one device.  But landing lights, nav lights, strobes, etc it all adds up.

Just in case someone wonders, my concern with local ground is the potential of leakage into the avionics.

I am reading all this correctly.  Thank you all for your kind advice.

Scott
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: wire size Reply with quote

Quote:
I know the weight increase is minimal for one device. But landing
lights, nav lights, strobes, etc it all adds up.

Just in case someone wonders, my concern with local ground is the
potential of leakage into the avionics.

I am reading all this correctly. Thank you all for your kind advice.

Have you read the chapters on wiring and
grounding in the AeroElectric Connection?

The rule of thumb for voltage drop limiting
is 5% of system voltage or 0.7 volts. A 4
amp load produces this size of drop with
a loop resistance of 175 milliohms. An 18'
run of wire would have to be run with
material having a resistance of about 175/18
or 10 milliohms per foot. 20AWG meets the requirement
for a single run of wire and local ground. This
exercise is described in a paper at:

http://tinyurl.com/ar6k3ed

Local grounds are fine as long as you perform
due diligence for eliminating airframe ground
loops in for potential victims by means of centralized
ground bussing as described in chapter on grounding
and figure Z15 in the wiring diagrams.
Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Scot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: wire size Reply with quote

The rule of thumb for voltage drop limiting

After reading (and re-reading) the link you sent I have calculated that using an 18 AWG wire will meet the requirement.  Using the constant of 700, 6.39 mOhm and 4 Amp draw I get a length of 27.39 feet.  If I want to I can step to a 16 AWG  and the acceptable length is 43.64.  All of this assuming a local ground.

I will go back and re-read that chapter in your book.  Thank you.

Scott

[quote] I am in the process of designing the electrical system for the my RV-7.  I know this will be a very basic question, but herding electrons is not one of my strong suits.  I am starting to run wires through the wing for all the various electronics and I want to make sure I am reading the wire size figure in Chapter 11 in AC 43-13.  Just for my education lets use Duckworth Landing Lights as example.  I believe they recommend 16 AWG(for 55W lights) with a local / airframe ground.  Wanting to understand how all this stuff works I reference Figure 11-2 in AC 43-13.

First, I figure the AMPS drawn per light is 55 / 14 or 3.93; call it 4 AMPs continuous.  The wire run to the lights is estimated to be 18 feet. I am including the length of the wing + a portion of the fuselage and an estimate of the turns etc to reach the panel. Depending on how fine your pencil is, the chart seems to indicate I could use AWG 18.  If I want to run the ground all the way back to the panel, then the length will be 36 feet.  Then I need to use AWG 14 with the ensuing increase is weight.  I know the weight increase is minimal for one device.  But landing lights, nav lights, strobes, etc it all adds up.

Just in case someone wonders, my concern with local ground is the potential of leakage into the avionics.

I am reading all this correctly.  Thank you all for your kind advice.

Scott
[b]

bicyclop(at)pacbell.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: wire size Reply with quote

Scott,

If you are going to do HID, 55w will be plenty enough. If you are going to use halogen lights, plan for more than 55w. I had a pair of 75w for years and when I went to 100w, I finally felt it was about bright enough. I normally wig-wag them and everybody sees that coming. I turn them both on steady for night landings. The weight difference for larger gauge wire is negligible. Local ground will work fine.

Pax,

Ed Holyoke

On 12/5/2012 12:35 PM, Scott Ahrens wrote: [quote] The rule of thumb for voltage drop limiting

After reading (and re-reading) the link you sent I have calculated that using an 18 AWG wire will meet the requirement. Using the constant of 700, 6.39 mOhm and 4 Amp draw I get a length of 27.39 feet. If I want to I can step to a 16 AWG and the acceptable length is 43.64. All of this assuming a local ground.

I will go back and re-read that chapter in your book. Thank you.

Scott

Quote:
I am in the process of designing the electrical system for the my RV-7. I know this will be a very basic question, but herding electrons is not one of my strong suits. I am starting to run wires through the wing for all the various electronics and I want to make sure I am reading the wire size figure in Chapter 11 in AC 43-13. Just for my education lets use Duckworth Landing Lights as example. I believe they recommend 16 AWG(for 55W lights) with a local / airframe ground. Wanting to understand how all this stuff works I reference Figure 11-2 in AC 43-13.

First, I figure the AMPS drawn per light is 55 / 14 or 3.93; call it 4 AMPs continuous. The wire run to the lights is estimated to be 18 feet. I am including the length of the wing + a portion of the fuselage and an estimate of the turns etc to reach the panel. Depending on how fine your pencil is, the chart seems to indicate I could use AWG 18. If I want to run the ground all the way back to the panel, then the length will be 36 feet. Then I need to use AWG 14 with the ensuing increase is weight. I know the weight increase is minimal for one device. But landing lights, nav lights, strobes, etc it all adds up.

I am reading all this correctly. Thank you all for your kind advice.

Scott

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: