Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cabin Top Woes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vernon.franklin(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Cabin Top Woes Reply with quote

I need some advice.  I am trying to fit the cabin top, and it just wont fit into the door area.
As you can see from the attached pics, I have a 37 1/16" space to work with.  But if I sand the cabin top down that far, I am almost in the door channel.

Did anyone else have to sand down this far?  How far is to far to sand?
Also, did anyone else's "scribe lines" seem completely random, and at times be almost 1/2" off completely?  I have attached a picture example of that as well.
[img]cid:ii_13c5a1496743bb4a[/img][img]cid:ii_13c5a12a9a395c36[/img][img]cid:ii_13c5a128244ff057[/img]

--
Vernon Franklin

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  140.97 KB
 Viewed:  3186 Time(s)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  108.56 KB

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  141.98 KB

image.jpeg

john(at)trollingers.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Cabin Top Woes Reply with quote

Just keep sanding, it will eventually fit.  I would go from side to side so that each side had about the same amount of materiel left when I was done.  The scribe lines are almost meaning less.

John

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com (vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I need some advice.  I am trying to fit the cabin top, and it just wont fit into the door area.

As you can see from the attached pics, I have a 37 1/16" space to work with.  But if I sand the cabin top down that far, I am almost in the door channel.

Did anyone else have to sand down this far?  How far is to far to sand?
Also, did anyone else's "scribe lines" seem completely random, and at times be almost 1/2" off completely?  I have attached a picture example of that as well.
[img]cid:ii_13c5a1496743bb4a[/img][img]cid:ii_13c5a12a9a395c36[/img][img]cid:ii_13c5a128244ff057[/img]

--
Vernon Franklin

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  108.56 KB

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  140.97 KB

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  141.98 KB

image.jpeg

tsts4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabin Top Woes Reply with quote

What John said. I was real surprised how much past the scribe lines I had to go on both the top and the doors to get everything to fit. It's tedious, but keep at it a little at a time. I got real good at being able to lift the top into place solo in order to do a fit check.

Last edited by tsts4 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
dave.saylor.aircrafters(a

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Cabin Top Woes Reply with quote

You're right, you might be taking a little of the back of the door frame off. That's normal. Just make it fit. Same is true for the bottom edge. It gets pretty thin.

--Dave
On Jan 20, 2013, at 14:30, Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:
I need some advice. I am trying to fit the cabin top, and it just wont fit into the door area.

As you can see from the attached pics, I have a 37 1/16" space to work with. But if I sand the cabin top down that far, I am almost in the door channel.

Did anyone else have to sand down this far? How far is to far to sand?

Also, did anyone else's "scribe lines" seem completely random, and at times be almost 1/2" off completely? I have attached a picture example of that as well.
<image.jpeg><image.jpeg><image.jpeg>

--
Vernon Franklin

bill.peyton

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabin Top Woes Reply with quote

I attached some photos of mine after trimming.

IMG_1281.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.13 KB
 Viewed:  3161 Time(s)

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.72 KB

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1289.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  106.82 KB

IMG_1289.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  78.12 KB

IMG_1266.jpg

rv10free2fly(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Cabin Top Woes Reply with quote

Vernon,

I had to go past the scribe lines too. Regrettably the 'standard fit' is tight and variable due to the imprecise nature of the fibreglass moulding. Just keep sanding and trimming until it all fits. It's tight, but you eventually get there.

Warm regards

Patrick

On 21/01/2013, at 9:00 AM, Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:
I need some advice. I am trying to fit the cabin top, and it just wont fit into the door area.

As you can see from the attached pics, I have a 37 1/16" space to work with. But if I sand the cabin top down that far, I am almost in the door channel.

Did anyone else have to sand down this far? How far is to far to sand?

Also, did anyone else's "scribe lines" seem completely random, and at times be almost 1/2" off completely? I have attached a picture example of that as well.
<image.jpeg><image.jpeg><image.jpeg>

--
Vernon Franklin

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Cabin Top Woes Reply with quote

Same here - and I go back to the older green top.

It occurs to me that fiberglass top is actually pretty consistent from
part to part - even green to pink. They all fit the same way is rather
crudely. I'd venture to say everyone has to go past the scribe lines
(they are a good starting point) and everyone ends up with some very
thin areas. The same thin areas from what I can see in this thread.

I have 2 Kit log pages here that won't be much help but I talk a bit
about tools. The only thing I can say with confidence is either work
outside or get a filter bag for your shop vac.
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=MauleDriver&project=224&category=2155&log=55674&row=12

It gets better,
Bill

On 1/21/2013 6:24 AM, Patrick Pulis wrote:
Quote:

Vernon,

I had to go past the scribe lines too. Regrettably the 'standard fit' is tight and variable due to the imprecise nature of the fibreglass moulding. Just keep sanding and trimming until it all fits. It's tight, but you eventually get there.

Warm regards

Patrick

On 21/01/2013, at 9:00 AM, Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com> wrote:

> I need some advice. I am trying to fit the cabin top, and it just wont fit into the door area.
>
> As you can see from the attached pics, I have a 37 1/16" space to work with. But if I sand the cabin top down that far, I am almost in the door channel.
>
> Did anyone else have to sand down this far? How far is to far to sand?
>
> Also, did anyone else's "scribe lines" seem completely random, and at times be almost 1/2" off completely? I have attached a picture example of that as well.
> <image.jpeg><image.jpeg><image.jpeg>
>
> --
> Vernon Franklin
-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

kearney

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Cabin Top Woes Reply with quote

Hi

For those who can, part of Dave Saylor's composite course is seeing how a canopy is trimmed. Once you see what is involved, it becomes a much less daunting task. It is the not knowing that causes the apprehension when trimming.

Dave's guys make it look easy peasy.

Cheers

Les

Sent from my iPhone

On 2013-01-21, at 8:21 AM, Bill Watson <Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com> wrote:

Quote:

It occurs to me that fiberglass top is actually pretty consistent from part to part - even green to pink. They all fit the same way is rather crudely. I'd venture to say everyone has to go past the scribe lines (they are a good starting point) and everyone ends up with some very thin areas. The same thin areas from what I can see in this thread.

I have 2 Kit log pages here that won't be much help but I talk a bit about tools. The only thing I can say with confidence is either work outside or get a filter bag for your shop vac.
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=MauleDriver&project=224&category=2155&log=55674&row=12

It gets better,
Bill

>
>
> Vernon,
>
> I had to go past the scribe lines too. Regrettably the 'standard fit' is tight and variable due to the imprecise nature of the fibreglass moulding. Just keep sanding and trimming until it all fits. It's tight, but you eventually get there.
>
> Warm regards
>
> Patrick
>
> On 21/01/2013, at 9:00 AM, Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I need some advice. I am trying to fit the cabin top, and it just wont fit into the door area.
>>
>> As you can see from the attached pics, I have a 37 1/16" space to work with. But if I sand the cabin top down that far, I am almost in the door channel.
>>
>> Did anyone else have to sand down this far? How far is to far to sand?
>>
>> Also, did anyone else's "scribe lines" seem completely random, and at times be almost 1/2" off completely? I have attached a picture example of that as well.
>> <image.jpeg><image.jpeg><image.jpeg>
>>
>> --
>> Vernon Franklin
>
>
>
>
>
>
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
>
>

rv10free2fly(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Cabin Top Woes Reply with quote

Vernon,

I found a pneumatic die grinder with one of the blades supplied in the kit to be the best way to trim the cabin top. Thereafter I used an orbital pneumatic sander (with inbuilt vacuum bag - cost me $39) with 80 grit paper to be the best tool. A pneumatic air file was also used to get into the corners.

I hope this helps.

Warm regards

Patrick

On 22/01/2013, at 1:51 AM, Bill Watson <Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com> wrote:

Quote:

It occurs to me that fiberglass top is actually pretty consistent from part to part - even green to pink. They all fit the same way is rather crudely. I'd venture to say everyone has to go past the scribe lines (they are a good starting point) and everyone ends up with some very thin areas. The same thin areas from what I can see in this thread.

I have 2 Kit log pages here that won't be much help but I talk a bit about tools. The only thing I can say with confidence is either work outside or get a filter bag for your shop vac.

It gets better,
Bill

>
>
> Vernon,
>
> I had to go past the scribe lines too. Regrettably the 'standard fit' is tight and variable due to the imprecise nature of the fibreglass moulding. Just keep sanding and trimming until it all fits. It's tight, but you eventually get there.
>
> Warm regards
>
> Patrick
>
> On 21/01/2013, at 9:00 AM, Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I need some advice. I am trying to fit the cabin top, and it just wont fit into the door area.
>>
>> As you can see from the attached pics, I have a 37 1/16" space to work with. But if I sand the cabin top down that far, I am almost in the door channel.
>>
>> Did anyone else have to sand down this far? How far is to far to sand?
>>
>> Also, did anyone else's "scribe lines" seem completely random, and at times be almost 1/2" off completely? I have attached a picture example of that as well.
>> <image.jpeg><image.jpeg><image.jpeg>
>>
>> --
>> Vernon Franklin
>
>
>
>
>
>
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
>
>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: