Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lithum-ion batteries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbr79r(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: lithum-ion batteries Reply with quote

What is the concensus opinion on lithium-ion batteries? I can get a Lithiun-ion battery with greater Amp/hr rating, cranking power, and save more than 1/2 the weight. Any comments?

James Robinson
Glasair lll N79R
Spanish Fork UT U77
From: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com>
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:30 AM
Subject: Re: Ground plane diameter

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)>

At 11:48 AM 2/28/2013, you wrote:
Quote:
Then would be the recommendation for a more modern design that is all carbon fiber? The carbon is conductive, but absorbs radiation instead of reflecting it from what I understand. Go with a foil circle or strips of the appropriate diameter on the outside of the carbon, but under the paint?

That's a whole other can of worms. The carbon fiber
is, as you've described, pretty lossy stuff. Yeah, it
is conductive but much of electrical energy flowing
through a carbon matrix is converted to heat.

Trying to create idealized ground planes over the
  carbon and under the paint is exceedingly expensive
and problematic for affecting structural integrity
of the shell.

At HBC, non-resonant ground planes were bonded to the
inside surface of the fuselage shell. Relatively
inexpensive and the flight test results deemed them
adequate to the task.

Bent also available via the Web nbsp; -Matt Dralle,============

[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: lithum-ion batteries Reply with quote

James,

My experience was mediocre at best. The battery did weigh 3 lbs vs 14.5 lbs for the PC680 and it was only about 1/2 the size of the PC680. The lithium battery cranked my 914 well enough. No issues there. But when I tried to run the panel off the battery to see how long it would go, it only lasted about 15 minutes before the charge went below 11 volts. No real amp-hour power. I have since reverted back to my PC680. It might be OK if all you need is starting power and wouldn't be worried about keeping the electrons rolling should you lose your alternator. But I don't think it's the thing you want with an electrically dependent aircraft or an aircraft flying serious IFR.
Just my 2˘ and worth every bit of it.
Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)

On Mar 1, 2013, at 7:17 PM, James Robinson <jbr79r(at)yahoo.com (jbr79r(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
What is the concensus opinion on lithium-ion batteries? I can get a Lithiun-ion battery with greater Amp/hr rating, cranking power, and save more than 1/2 the weight. Any comments?

James Robinson
Glasair lll N79R
Spanish Fork UT U77

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mrspudandcompany(at)veriz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: lithum-ion batteries Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:
My opinion is: If you are willing to take the chance of burning up your aircraft, then go for it. I personally feel that the saving in weight does not justify the chance of a catastrophic thermal runaway internal to the Lithium Ion battery. Perhaps as the technology of these batteries matures I will change my thinking.

Roger

I am using the Free version of SPAMfighter.SPAMfighter has removed 324 of my spam emails to date.Do you have a slow PC? Try a free scan! [quote][b]

rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: lithum-ion batteries Reply with quote

Roger,

The LiFePo batteries don't have the fire problem of the LiPo battery.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)

On Mar 2, 2013, at 10:55 AM, "R. curtis" <mrspudandcompany(at)verizon.net (mrspudandcompany(at)verizon.net)> wrote:

[quote]

Quote:
My opinion is: If you are willing to take the chance of burning up your aircraft, then go for it. I personally feel that the saving in weight does not justify the chance of a catastrophic thermal runaway internal to the Lithium Ion battery. Perhaps as the technology of these batteries matures I will change my thinking.

Roger
[b]

skywagon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: lithum-ion batteries Reply with quote

James,

There are several chemical versions of these batteries and they tend to all get lumped and described as "LiPo" batteries. So, one has to know the chemistry details of the so called LiPo battery in question and what it is really made of.

The straight LiPo has incredible energy storage but, comes with a delicate nature. Kind of like a super model...!!

Charging these batteries takes a specialized charging system usually, as individual cells can be finicky and each should be monitored and charged in a "Balanced" method.

The battery is sensitive to temps. and not nearly as robust as say NiCad when hot and cold is involved.

They can also be finicky about the max. storage voltage vs. the used everyday max charge voltage.

It has the ability to pump out enormous amperage when required... e.g. engine starter motor.
However, that kind of action has to carefully monitored because under heavy amperage loads they heat up. And, recall, heat at a certain level makes a LiPo battery or an individual cell very unhappy.

And, as we are all aware, they also have some mystery internal chemical conditions that make them go off with uncertain madness...i.e. the super model comparison... Some of this mystery is still being unraveled..i.e. the Boeing 787 problems.

If it were my choice, today, I probably would not opt for LiPo battery source in my expensive bird that only you support and not the world of taxpayers.

This offered with the normal 2-cent return on advice.
Hopefully, this topic with bring a real LiPo expert to the discussion so we can learn the real facts of these batteries. I know that we would not be able to run laptop computers, cell phones, and train load of other high tech gear with out the LiPo form of energy storage.
David

[quote] ---

raymondj(at)frontiernet.n

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: lithum-ion batteries Reply with quote

Sorry, intended to send this to James only.

do not archive
Quote:
Raymond Julian
Kettle River, MN.

"And you know that I could have me a million more friends,
and all I'd have to lose is my point of view." - John Prine
On 03/02/2013 01:28 PM, rayj wrote:

[quote] James,

I attached a report that was posted to the list a while ago. My personal opinion is that Li battery technology is not ready for use in aircraft. Check the archives for more info and opinions.

Hope this is useful.
Quote:
Raymond Julian
Kettle River, MN.

On 03/01/2013 07:17 PM, James Robinson wrote:

Quote:

James Robinson
Glasair lll N79R
Spanish Fork UT U77

From: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com> (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com)

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)>

> Then would be the recommendation for a more modern design that is all carbon fiber? The carbon is conductive, but absorbs radiation instead of reflecting it from what I understand. Go with a foil circle or strips of the appropriate diameter on the outside of the carbon, but under the paint?

of the shell.

adequate to the task.

Quote:

[b]

jan(at)CLAVER.DEMON.CO.UK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: lithum-ion batteries Reply with quote

For what it is worth I work with Li-ion batteries for a living. No question they are lighter and will hold more energy and are able to deliver it faster than other battery technologies.
Problem is that you need to control them very well both in charge and discharge. Failure can be rather interesting .... Easy in a car .. You just pull over and deal with the "issue". Not so easy when you at 5000ft. Smile
For the weight saving in question. Go to the gym an loose a few pounds... You live longer and do not have to worry about your battery pack. I will not be fitting them in my RV ... And I can get them for free ...

All the best

Jan
On Mar 3, 2013, at 3:28, rayj <raymondj(at)frontiernet.net (raymondj(at)frontiernet.net)> wrote:
[quote] James,

I attached a report that was posted to the list a while ago. My personal opinion is that Li battery technology is not ready for use in aircraft. Check the archives for more info and opinions.

Hope this is useful.
Quote:
Raymond Julian
Kettle River, MN.

Quote:

James Robinson
Glasair lll N79R
Spanish Fork UT U77

From: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com> (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)

> Then would be the recommendation for a more modern design that is all carbon fiber? The carbon is conductive, but absorbs radiation instead of reflecting it from what I understand. Go with a foil circle or strips of the appropriate diameter on the outside of the carbon, but under the paint?

of the shell.

adequate to the task.

Quote:

<RFLithiumIonBatteriesHazard.pdf>
[b]

jbr79r(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: lithum-ion batteries Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.  I will stick with the batteries I have.

James Robinson
Glasair lll N79R
Spanish Fork UT U77
To: "<aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com>" <aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 2, 2013 11:06 PM
Subject: Re: Re: lithum-ion batteries

For what it is worth I work with Li-ion batteries for a living. No question they are lighter and will hold more energy and are able to deliver it faster than other battery technologies.
Problem is that you need to control them very well both in charge and discharge. Failure can be rather interesting .... Easy in a car .. You just pull over and deal with the "issue". Not so easy when you at 5000ft. Smile
For the weight saving in question. Go to the gym an loose a few pounds... You live longer and do not have to worry about your battery pack. I will not be fitting them in my RV ... And I can get them for free ...

All the best

Jan
On Mar 3, 2013, at 3:28, rayj <raymondj(at)frontiernet.net (raymondj(at)frontiernet.net)> wrote:
[quote] James,

Hope this is useful.
Quote:
Raymond Julian
Kettle River, MN.

Quote:
What is the concensus opinion on lithium-ion batteries?  I can get a Lithiun-ion battery with greater Amp/hr rating, cranking power, and save more than 1/2 the weight.  Any comments?

James Robinson
Glasair lll N79R
Spanish Fork UT U77

of the shell.

adequate to the task.

Quote:

[b]

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: lithum-ion batteries Reply with quote

Best advice I have seen in a long time! Thanks!
Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 3, 2013, at 12:06 AM, Jan <jan(at)CLAVER.DEMON.CO.UK (jan(at)CLAVER.DEMON.CO.UK)> wrote:
[quote] For what it is worth I work with Li-ion batteries for a living. No question they are lighter and will hold more energy and are able to deliver it faster than other battery technologies.

All the best

Jan
Quote:
James,

Hope this is useful.
Quote:
Raymond Julian
Kettle River, MN.

Quote:

James Robinson
Glasair lll N79R
Spanish Fork UT U77

of the shell.

adequate to the task.

Quote:

===================================
st">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
cs.com
matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: