Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine thru bolts and?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Juhl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Engine thru bolts and? Reply with quote

Has anyone replaced the engine thru bolts in a Jabiru 3300 A? If so, how much trouble was it?

I have a 3300A still in the crate that I'm getting ready to hang in a month or so and would like to address some of the reliability issues beforehand.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Tim

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

Zodiac XL - Jabiru 3300A
Almost done! It'll fly in spring!
psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Engine thru bolts and? Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

I have no help for you, but I wanted to say Hi anyway.

I did not replace any bolts on my Jabiru 3300 and after 40 hours it
still runs just fine and hasn't fallen apart yet.

Have fun,

Paul
Camas, WA

On 3/6/2013 6:41 PM, Tim Juhl wrote:
Quote:

Has anyone replaced the engine thru bolts in a Jabiru 3300 A? If so, how much trouble was it?

I have a 3300A still in the crate that I'm getting ready to hang in a month or so and would like to address some of the reliability issues beforehand.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Tim

--------
Wing modifications done - back working on the fuselage

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=395788#395788

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Tim Juhl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Engine thru bolts and? Reply with quote

Paul,
Good to hear from you. I hate to admit it, but life got in the way and I took almost a year off from building. I'm back at it now, working every day, but haven't kept up with the latest scuttlebutt.

I've read of some issues developing with the Jabiru but am not surprised.... nothing like having a bunch out there being used and abused to show where the potential issues are. I'm not going to panic but I am looking to see if there is anything I should do before I hang it to save myself hassle later on.

I suspect that a lot of the problems being reported are heat related, something I plan to monitor very closely and try to deal with during my flight testing.

Based upon your experience do you have any suggestions for me?

Tim

Zodiac XL - Jabiru 3300A
psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Engine thru bolts and? Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

As far as I know you are already on the right page. I had lots of heat
issues to resolve on my plane. That dominated the first 10 hours of
flight testing. I never let the engine get too hot. After using full
power for takeoff and climb to 500 AGL I reduced power to keep CHTs
below the max (using Dynon EMS). Fortunately, the 3300 is a lot of
engine for this little airplane and operating at low RPM is still plenty
to maintain flight. Now I use full throttle for any extended climb as
recommended. This makes a somewhat richer mixture than high cruise power.

I don't know for a fact, but I suspect many of the problems experienced
by Jabiru owners are related to overheating the engine. Once you let it
get too hot the aluminum starts to soften.

Good luck,

Paul

On 3/7/2013 6:55 AM, Tim Juhl wrote:
Quote:

Paul,
Good to hear from you. I hate to admit it, but life got in the way and I took almost a year off from building. I'm back at it now, working every day, but haven't kept up with the latest scuttlebutt.

I've read of some issues developing with the Jabiru but am not surprised.... nothing like having a bunch out there being used and abused to show where the potential issues are. I'm not going to panic but I am looking to see if there is anything I should do before I hang it to save myself hassle later on.

I suspect that a lot of the problems being reported are heat related, something I plan to monitor very closely and try to deal with during my flight testing.

Based upon your experience do you have any suggestions for me?

Tim

--------
Wing modifications done - back working on the fuselage

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=395813#395813

Tim Juhl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Engine thru bolts and? Reply with quote

Paul,
The heat issue has plagued the Jabiru from the beginning. When I attended classes at Shelbyville they spent some time discussing how to best deal with it. I agree with you that careful engine management might pay big dividends.

The hottest running engine I've ever dealt with was the Continental O-470 in my 1975 C182. To keep CHT's in line it was necessary to either open the cowl flaps, enrich the mixture, reduce power or increase airspeed (in climb). Usually a combination of things. The XL lacks cowl flaps and adjustable mixture so you are pretty much left with the latter two and as you point out, the Jab has enough surplus power to make that feasible.

I did finally get a chance to fly in an XL, thanks to Dr. Ed Moody in Rayne, LA. We stopped in on the way home from visiting our kids in OK and TX over Xmas/New Year's 2011/2012. The XL climbed out like a "Homesick Angel" and obviously had power to spare.

Thanks again!

Tim

Zodiac XL - Jabiru 3300A
DaveG601XL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Engine thru bolts and? Reply with quote

Tim,

You can call Pete in Shelbyville and get his opinion. I did last year and based on our conversation decided to just keep going with what I have for thru-bolts and nuts. No problems in almost 250 hours and I check them every time I pop the cowl off. My next condition inspection is due this month so I will get a look at them again soon.

Keep pressing forward!

Dave Gallagher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: