Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Proven sloshing fluid for Ethanol?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clive J

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Proven sloshing fluid for Ethanol? Reply with quote

Has anyone found a good fluid yet? Seems someone has proven the early Jabiru fluid was indeed not good enough. See attached.
Appreciate if anyone has info on an alcohol proof fluid yet.

Regards, Clive
P.S. suggestions from folk to only use avgas are only accepted for folk who are paying less than $14 a gallon for it

Sent: 15 March 2013 12:25
To: 'Dave (Skycraft)'
Subject: CAA Safety Sense Leaflet 4

Dear Jabiru and Rans Owners,

Attached is a copy of the CAA Safety Sense Leaflet No 4 which is about Mogas and Ethanol.

Although this leaflet has been around since January 2012 I thought I would re-send it.

We have a Jabiru customer who has been using Mogas in his aircraft and had not realized the implications of the fuel suppliers adding ethanol to their supplies. The Ethanol has eaten away the inside of his wing fuel tanks, leaked out into the wing causing further damage. The long and short of this sad tale is that both his wings are scrap and not covered by his insurance.

Looking through the aircraft’s log books I calculate that the savings of using Mogas since ethanol was added may be about £40, a replacement set of wings will be several thousand pounds. If there is 10% Ethanol in the fuel and the ethanol is washed out this in effect increases your garage pump price by about 14p.

So it’s just not worth it in our opinion.

Regards

Dave Almey

Aircraft require refinishing ? Click Here

Skycraft Ltd - www.sky-craft.co.uk
Kestrel, 621 Broadgate, Weston Hills, Spalding. Lincs. PE12 6DP. United Kingdom
Telephone: +44 1406 371779
Fax: +44 1406 371783

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
jim.kulbeth(at)insightbb.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Proven sloshing fluid for Ethanol? Reply with quote

That bulletin was very interesting.  In my part of the country we do not consider it Mogas, unless it is lead and ethanol free.  I use a 91 octane in my 3300 Jabiru.  I fly every altitude and do date have had no problem.  I made up a 50 gallon tank with filters for air and water.  I never leave the ground without checking for water in all sumps.  It was something I was taught to do when I first started flying in 1964 and it is a habit.  It has been years since I have found any signs of water.
Just wondering however, in reading the bulletin, they were referring to Mogas with alcohol when they  were talking about the 20 degrees C.  yes or no.  I have never seen that before.   I have asked Jabiru about their view of no lead no alcohol fuel but have never really gotten an answer I can hang my hat on.  My last comment is that when I do an oil change and set a quart of old oil up on a shelf for an extended period of time, it remains in suspension and when I was burning the lead, it always seemed to separate after a while.  I do not know if that has to do with quality of the oil, which I have changed, or to the fuel.

Regards,
Jimmy

From: owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of James, Clive R
Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2013 4:35 AM
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Proven sloshing fluid for Ethanol?

Has anyone found a good fluid yet? Seems someone has proven the early Jabiru fluid was indeed not good enough. See attached.
Appreciate if anyone has info on an alcohol proof fluid yet.

Regards, Clive
P.S. suggestions from folk to only use avgas are only accepted for folk who are paying less than $14 a gallon for it

From: Dave (Skycraft) [mailto:dave(at)sky-craft.co.uk (dave(at)sky-craft.co.uk)]
Sent: 15 March 2013 12:25
To: 'Dave (Skycraft)'
Subject: CAA Safety Sense Leaflet 4

Dear Jabiru and Rans Owners,

Attached is a copy of the CAA Safety Sense Leaflet No 4 which is about Mogas and Ethanol.

Although this leaflet has been around since January 2012 I thought I would re-send it.

We have a Jabiru customer who has been using Mogas in his aircraft and had not realized the implications of the fuel suppliers adding ethanol to their supplies. The Ethanol has eaten away the inside of his wing fuel tanks, leaked out into the wing causing further damage. The long and short of this sad tale is that both his wings are scrap and not covered by his insurance.

Looking through the aircraft’s log books I calculate that the savings of using Mogas since ethanol was added may be about £40, a replacement set of wings will be several thousand pounds. If there is 10% Ethanol in the fuel and the ethanol is washed out this in effect increases your garage pump price by about 14p.

So it’s just not worth it in our opinion.

Regards

Dave Almey

Aircraft require refinishing ? Click Here

Skycraft Ltd - www.sky-craft.co.uk
Kestrel, 621 Broadgate, Weston Hills, Spalding. Lincs. PE12 6DP. United Kingdom
Telephone: +44 1406 371779
Fax: +44 1406 371783

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: