Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Van's SB 13-3-21 5-year rubber replacement parts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Van's SB 13-3-21 5-year rubber replacement parts Reply with quote

I don't argue that replacing the parts suggested is not a good idea.

What I still can't believe and am REALLY disgusted by is the price.
CPS lists the cost of the parts kit at $1,004....it consists of some tubing, a few gaskets and other minor parts. Some seem to be about the same as you could find at your local hardware store.

Nothing exotic, detailed precise, carefully machined parts...just some rubber parts. But for goodness ! $1,000 for what it seems I could get for around $50 or less at True Value.

How can this be justified?

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Van's SB 13-3-21 5-year rubber replacement parts Reply with quote

A true post if I ever heard one John.

And I thought Continental and Lycoming were ripoff companies... Rotax is learning  from the best.  That's what happens when you get a government contract.  Just look at Garmin.

Barry
On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 11:03 PM, JohnF <n29cx(at)ridgeviewtel.us (n29cx(at)ridgeviewtel.us)> wrote:
[quote]--> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: "JohnF" <n29cx(at)ridgeviewtel.us (n29cx(at)ridgeviewtel.us)>

CPS lists the cost of the parts kit at $1,004....it consists of some tubing, a few gaskets and other minor parts. Some seem to be about the same as you could find at your local hardware store.

Nothing exotic, detailed precise, carefully machined parts...just some rubber parts. But for goodness  ! $1,000 for what it seems I could get for around $50 or less at True Value.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=396830#396830

===========
-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Van's SB 13-3-21 5-year rubber replacement parts Reply with quote

Gents,

I replaced my rubber coolant hose with silicone hose. It won't help the gaskets and other small parts but these hoses should never require replacement again. A silicone hose set is available from Stefan Ingemarsson. This set replaces all the coolant hoses: heads to collector, collector to radiator and radiator to coolant pump. He may even be able to supply a silicone hose from the collector to the overflow bottle. His sets are specifically designed for the Europa XS and Europa Classic but may be suitable for other applications as long as the radiator is just below and behind the engine. You can contact Stefan at ingemarsson.s(at)telia.com.

It is also possible that you can source silicone hose of the proper size through various websites. This hose can be cut to appropriate length for installation. It might even be possible to get the larger hoses (to/from the radiator) with the necessary bends.

If it's for a certified aircraft, sorry, you are out of luck. You get to buy the certified parts from CPS or Lockwood or other provider.

Just my 2˘ and worth most of that.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger(at)mac.com

On Mar 22, 2013, at 10:03 PM, JohnF <n29cx(at)ridgeviewtel.us> wrote:

Nothing exotic, detailed precise, carefully machined parts...just some rubber parts. But for goodness ! $1,000 for what it seems I could get for around $50 or less at True Value.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=396830#396830

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Van's SB 13-3-21 5-year rubber replacement parts Reply with quote

Hi Guys, Here is some food for thought while making those important decisions.
First I'll be the first to say some hose can last longer than 5 years and I don't like the expense any more than the next guy, but I fly too many people and have too much with life or money to risk throwing it all away on poor maint. decisions just because of money. If you think teenagers make poor decisions, well plane owners rank right up there with them at times. I can make more money, but I can't replace people or busted up body parts. I have seen a few hose go in the last 6 years. It has cost these people anywhere from $1700 to $18K for repairs.

Parts wear even when it isn't about time in place. I just rebuilt a set of carbs. They were two years old, but did have 1000 hrs on them. Several of the "O" rings inside were cracked and split and one float was sinking. I have posted pictures or coolant and fuel hoses cracking, mainly where they are crimped or secured on around the fitting. Barbed fittings are hard on hose. Let fuel get up under the inside liner of the hose and now it can flake. Since all your fuel line and oil line is supposed to be in fire sleeve how do you check all these hoses without dismantling them? 91 oct. with ethanol can be hard on some hose because the ethanol is a drier. Hose inside a tight cowl goes through a lot of heating and cooling cycles. Not all hose is created equal. I have found many with reduced radius hose because of heat shield applications or too tight of a bend. This list can go on and on. Rotax hose change schedule may be a little conservative, but because they can't control all the above variables it's that way and no owner can predict a hose failure or give every spec on every hose on their engine. There are a few short cuts that could be made to the parts list and price, but we all should have known flying wasn't an in-expensive sport nor a safe one if we ignore many safe guards along the way. Too many obituary's and forced landings to show otherwise.
So the bottom line is which side of the fence do we decide to fall on? It's certainly your choice, but remember your not making that decision for yourself, but your family and friends whether they fly with you or not.
Turn the situation around. If it was your parent, your wife or your son doing something that may cause their early demise cripple you for life, wipe out a lot of savings because of damage, liability to friends, neighbors or other civilians what advice would you give? How would you feel and get along without them. tell you're wife you're going to negate some safety maint. and it could possibly cause your early demise and get her opinion.

Doing 30 annuals a year on LSA aircraft I have seen a lot and just when I think I have seen it all something new pops up either owner caused (most common from act or omission) or something odd just because it was an aircraft.

I will tell you as a 30 yr. firefighter going to help and rescue thousands of people the one thing they all had in common was this saying: "Wow, that never happened before". Always a first time.

I have posted numerous pictures of bad hoses on other sites over the last 2 years that should be enough for most to see hose health and failures is not an exact science and that at times the guy who said they'll last ten years can be wrong as many times as he may be right. I've done well over 40+ hose changes and seen first hand. Anyone else here done that many that can shed some light?
I still dislike the cost, but I knew it when I started flying it wasn't my cheapest sport.

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Van's SB 13-3-21 5-year rubber replacement parts Reply with quote

Roger:

You are spot-on with your post.  And I really like your statement: "I have seen it all something new pops up either owner caused (most common from act or omission) or something odd just because it was an aircraft."  And I would put "just because it was an aircraft", under induced human error.  I haven't seen it all, but I have seen enough to ask why did god let this idiot live, if for no other reason than to disprove Darwin's Theory.  

One should really take a lesson from SOME of the stuff the FAA has done for us.  On GA aircraft there are two types of hoses:
1 - The Fire Sleeve hose assembly which has a Time Life Limit of five (5) years.  This is so much so the RULE that ALL approved Fire Sleeve hoses MUST be replaced in that time limit.  And ALL hoses must be BUILT by an FAA Approved manufacture.  And ALL those hoses MUST have a metal label with Manufacture and Date stamped into it.  And one should NOTE!  That the five (5) years is the HALF LIFE of the hose.
2 - The other hose available is the TEFLON Hose with over-molded Fire Sleeve. This hose must meet and exceed all the requirement of the fire sleeve hose assembly.  BUT!  Does not have a Life Limit.  Buy it one - Install it correctly --> No sharp bends - No twists and IAW AC43-13 and it will last until the owner/operator or installer does something stupid.  

There are two other points I would like to make on this hose subject:
a) The FAA does not permit A&P's/AI's to make hoses anymore.  The hoses MUST be made by Approved Manufactures. So, if an A&P/I can not make a hose why does a EXPERIMENTAL builder think they can?  I know, I know... Because they are EXPERIMENTAL!!!  Well, that only goes to prove the Darwin Theory.   
Now, I KNOW builders that I trust with my life... Hell I've looped and rolled and done Split S in RV6...  I know the builder and in truth they are BETTER than any Manufacture.  But, they are one in a million.  I've been to enough fly-ins to know 99.98% of those builders out there are NOT!  Don't turn your head round, don't look at the other guy.

b) If you are using ANY of the APPROVED hoses for gas - They have to be approved for MoGas as well as AvGas and that includes Alcohol (ETOH) and Ethanol.  

This also goes back to the Life Limit of five (5) years on Fire Sleeve hoses.  SO - Trying to blame Ethanol for a hose failure is not acceptable.  The failure is more than likely due to how the fittings were assembled on the hose or as you said Roger - Owner Caused or Omitted. 
For some crazy reason people have the idea that: If One is Good - - Two must be Better.  Example:  Ever see TWO (2) NiCro Press Crimps on a single eye thimble?  Ever read the accident report on why the cable failed?
Same is true for hoses, I've seen double crimps and heard of...  I've cranked the pressure up to 250 PSI, instead of the 100 PSI as specified.
I know, I know... We are EXPERIMENTAL, we don't have to adhere to ALL the FAA rules.  But, some do make sense and to me hoses, especially Life Long TEFLON hosed - Make a lot of sense.  Pay for it once.  Install it once.  And fly till something else breaks.

Barry

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Roger Lee <ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com (ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: "Roger Lee" <ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com (ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com)>

Hi Guys, Here is some food for thought while making those important decisions.

First I'll be the first to say some hose can last longer than 5 years and I don't like the expense any more than the next guy, but I fly too many people and have too much with life or money to risk throwing it all away on poor maint. decisions just because of money. If you think teenagers make poor decisions, well plane owners rank right up there with them at times. I can make more money, but I can't replace people or busted up body parts. I have seen a few hose go in the last 6 years. It has cost these people anywhere from $1700 to $18K for repairs.

Parts wear even when it isn't about time in place. I just rebuilt a set of carbs. They were two years old, but did have 1000 hrs on them. Several  of the "O" rings inside were cracked and split and one float was sinking. I have posted pictures or coolant and fuel hoses cracking, mainly where they are crimped or secured on around the fitting. Barbed fittings are hard on hose. Let fuel get up under the inside liner of the hose and now it can flake. Since all your fuel line and oil line is supposed to be in fire sleeve how do you check all these hoses without dismantling them? 91 oct. with ethanol can be hard on some hose because the ethanol is a drier. Hose inside a tight cowl goes through a lot of heating and cooling cycles. Not all hose is created equal. I have found many with reduced radius hose because of heat shield applications or too tight of a bend. This list can go on and on. Rotax hose change schedule may be a little conservative, but because they can't control all t!
 he above variables it's that way and no owner can predict a hose failure or give every spec on every hose on their engine. There are a few short cuts that could be made to the parts list and price, but we all should have known flying wasn't an in-expensive sport nor a safe one if we ignore many safe guards along the way. Too many obituary's and forced landings to show otherwise.

So the bottom line is which side of the fence do we decide to fall on? It's certainly your choice, but remember your not making that decision for yourself, but your family and friends whether they fly with you or not.
Turn the situation around. If it was your parent, your wife or your son doing something that may cause their early demise cripple you for life, wipe out a lot of savings because of damage, liability to friends, neighbors or other civilians what advice would you give? How would you feel and get along without them. tell you're wife you're going to negate some safety maint. and it could possibly cause your early demise and get her opinion.

Doing 30 annuals a year on LSA aircraft I have seen a lot and just when I think I have seen it all something new pops up either owner caused (most common from act or omission) or something odd just because it was an aircraft.

I will tell you as a 30 yr. firefighter going to help and rescue thousands of people the one thing they all had in common was this saying: "Wow, that never happened before". Always a first time.

I have posted numerous pictures of bad hoses on other sites over the last 2 years that should be enough for most to see hose health and failures is not an exact science and that at times the guy who said they'll last ten years can be wrong as many times as he may be right. I've done well over 40+ hose changes and seen first hand. Anyone else here done that many that can shed some light?

I still dislike the cost, but I knew it when I started flying it wasn't my cheapest sport.

--------
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
Light Sport Repairman - Maintenance Rated
Rotax Repair Center - Heavy Maint. Rated
Home 520-574-1080  TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=396857#396857

===========
-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

jimd4414(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Van's SB 13-3-21 5-year rubber replacement parts Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Sorry to Hi-jack your line.
I have been trying to sign into the matronic site but my user name doesn't work. Anyone know how to fix it?
[quote] ---

max8992

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Van's SB 13-3-21 5-year rubber replacement parts Reply with quote

Barry,
Thanks for your inputs.

Quote:
One should really take a lesson from SOME of the stuff the FAA has done for us.
I’m French but why not J

Quote:
On GA aircraft there are two types of hoses:
1 - The Fire Sleeve hose assembly which has a Time Life Limit of five (5) years.
2 - The other hose available is the TEFLON Hose with over-molded Fire Sleeve. This hose must meet and exceed all the requirement of the fire sleeve hose assembly. BUT! Does not have a Life Limit.
As far as I know there is Teflon hoses for cooling liquid but not for oil or fuel and no gaskets or o-rings for carbs, rights? But if these parts exist could you say where can be found.

Quote:
b) If you are using ANY of the APPROVED hoses for gas - They have to be approved for MoGas as well as AvGas and that includes Alcohol (ETOH) and >Ethanol. This also goes back to the Life Limit of five (5) years on Fire Sleeve hoses. SO - Trying to blame Ethanol for a hose failure is not acceptable. The failure is >more than likely due to how the fittings were assembled on the hose or as you said Roger - Owner Caused or Omitted.
Here we have two kinds of MoGas: ’95 with Ethanol (max 10%) and ’98 with very few %. I think that Rotax has approved fuel with Ethanol (like ’95) quite recently but never released a CN to define a life-time for the hoses and refers that point to the plane (or kit) manufacturer. Or did I miss something?

Max  Cointe
mcointe(at)free.fr (mcointe(at)free.fr)
F-PMLH Europa XS_TriGear
Kit #560-2003 912ULS/AirmasterAP332 450 hours

F-PLDJ Dyn’Aéro MCR 4S
Kit #27-2002 912ULSFR/MTProp MTV7A 1550 heures

Quote:

[quote][b]

Europa XS #560 F-PMLH
BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Van's SB 13-3-21 5-year rubber replacement parts Reply with quote

rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Van's SB 13-3-21 5-year rubber replacement parts Reply with quote

Max,

Teflon hose for fuel system components is available from Aeroquip. Their Aeroquip 666 is teflon. You could replace all your rubber fuel hose with Aeroquip 666 hose and never have to worry about replacement again. I built my Europa from scratch with 666 hose. It isn't cheap nor is it light and you should have it custom made for you by the vendor as it isn't a hose that's suited to home fabrication.  But it is teflon and it is impervious to just about anything and certainly anything in fuel. It also has a conductive lining to eliminate static generation which can erode the best hose from the inside. It is also covered with a stainless steel braid for strength, abraision resistance and safety. You can have it fabricated with firesleeve or add that yourself prior to installation. It is available from a number of sources in the US. I don't know about France.  I purchased mine from Aircraft Spruce. You can check their website for pricing and information.

If you presently use barbed fittings for your hose connections you would have to replace them with AN Flared Tube connectors. Steel or stainless steel in front of the firewall but aluminum is acceptable behind the firewall.

I hope this helps.
Quote:
Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914 w/ Intercooler & Airmaster C/S Prop
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208-5331
H: 940-497-2123
C: 817-992-1117

On Mar 25, 2013, at 03:41 AM, Max Cointe <mcointe(at)free.fr> wrote:
Quote:

Barry,
Thanks for your inputs.

Quote:
One should really take a lesson from SOME of the stuff the FAA has done for us.
I’m French but why not J

Quote:
On GA aircraft there are two types of hoses:
1 - The Fire Sleeve hose assembly which has a Time Life Limit of five (5) years.
2 - The other hose available is the TEFLON Hose with over-molded Fire Sleeve. This hose must meet and exceed all the requirement of the fire sleeve hose assembly. BUT! Does not have a Life Limit.
As far as I know there is Teflon hoses for cooling liquid but not for oil or fuel and no gaskets or o-rings for carbs, rights? But if these parts exist could you say where can be found.

Quote:
b) If you are using ANY of the APPROVED hoses for gas - They have to be approved for MoGas as well as AvGas and that includes Alcohol (ETOH) and >Ethanol. This also goes back to the Life Limit of five (5) years on Fire Sleeve hoses. SO - Trying to blame Ethanol for a hose failure is not acceptable.  The failure is >more than likely due to how the fittings were assembled on the hose or as you said Roger - Owner Caused or Omitted.
Here we have two kinds of MoGas: ’95 with Ethanol (max 10%) and ’98 with very few %. I think that Rotax has approved fuel with Ethanol (like ’95) quite recently but never released a CN to define a life-time for the hoses and refers that point to the plane (or kit) manufacturer. Or did I miss something?

Max Cointe
mcointe(at)free.fr (mcointe(at)free.fr)
F-PMLH Europa XS_TriGear
Kit #560-2003 912ULS/AirmasterAP332 450 hours

F-PLDJ Dyn’Aéro MCR 4S
Kit #27-2002 912ULSFR/MTProp MTV7A 1550 heures

Quote:
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngine= -->

div.msg-quote {PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 20px; PADDING-RIGHT: 20px; FONT: 13px Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; OVERFLOW: hidden; PADDING-TOP: 13px} .msg-quote BLOCKQUOTE[type=cite] {BORDER-LEFT: #003399 2px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 8px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 12px; PADDING-RIGHT: 12px; COLOR: #003399; FONT-SIZE: 12px; PADDING-TOP: 0px} .msg-quote BLOCKQUOTE[type=cite] BLOCKQUOTE[type=cite] {BORDER-LEFT: #006600 2px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 12px; PADDING-RIGHT: 12px; COLOR: #006600; FONT-SIZE: 12px; PADDING-TOP: 0px} .msg-quote BLOCKQUOTE[type=cite] BLOCKQUOTE[type=cite] BLOCKQUOTE[type=cite] {BORDER-LEFT: #660000 2px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 12px; PADDING-RIGHT: 12px; COLOR: #660000; FONT-SIZE: 12px; PADDING-TOP: 0px} .msg-quote PRE {FONT: 13px Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; WORD-WRAP: normal !important; WHITE-SPACE: pre-wrap !important} .msg-quote P.MsoNormal {MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman", "serif"; FONT-SIZE: 12pt} .msg-quote LI.MsoNormal {MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman", "serif"; FONT-SIZE: 12pt} .msg-quote DIV.MsoNormal {MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman", "serif"; FONT-SIZE: 12pt} .msg-quote A:link {COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99} .msg-quote SPAN.MsoHyperlink {COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99} .msg-quote A:visited {COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99} .msg-quote SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99} .msg-quote PRE {MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Courier New"; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; mso-style-priority: 99; mso-style-link: "Préformaté HTML Car"} .msg-quote P.MsoListParagraph {MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt 36pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman", "serif"; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-style-priority: 34} .msg-quote LI.MsoListParagraph {MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt 36pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman", "serif"; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-style-priority: 34} .msg-quote DIV.MsoListParagraph {MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt 36pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman", "serif"; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-style-priority: 34} .msg-quote SPAN.PrformatHTMLCar {FONT-FAMILY: Consolas; mso-style-priority: 99; mso-style-link: "Préformaté HTML"; mso-style-name: "Préformaté HTML Car"} .msg-quote SPAN.EmailStyle19 {FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri", "sans-serif"; COLOR: #1f497d; mso-style-type: personal-reply} .msg-quote .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type: export-only} .msg-quote DIV.WordSection1 {page: WordSection1} .msg-quote OL {MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0cm} .msg-quote UL {MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0cm} .msg-quote IMG._mime-inline {WIDTH: auto !important; MAX-WIDTH: 580px !important; HEIGHT: auto !important} .msg-quote IMG._stretch {WIDTH: auto !important; MAX-WIDTH: 580px !important; HEIGHT: auto !important} .msg-quote ._stretch {MAX-WIDTH: 580px} div.msg-quote ._mail-body-bg {WIDTH: 620px !important} .msg-quote ._mail-body {WIDTH: 580px}

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: