Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Plane is born

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kearney

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: A Plane is born Reply with quote

Hi

After 6 years and 178 days, RV10 C-GCWZ took to the air at Camrose Airport in Alberta, Canada.

I would like to thank all the usual suspects but especially Tim Olson for his website, Matt Dralle for this list and Dave Saylor for his fiberglass seminar. Thanks to all those who answered my cries for help. Learning how to build a plane is harder and perhaps takes longer than the actual building process. Having access to the collective wisdom of this group was quite literally pricesless. In every sense you were my build partners.

Cheers

Les Kearney
#40-643 Now Flying!!!!!!!
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
kearney

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: A Plane is born Reply with quote

Hi Again

I almost forgot - A very Special Thanks to David Maib with whom I did my transition training! He is an outstanding instructor.

Cheers

Les

Sent: April-07-13 11:28 PM
To: 'rv10-list(at)matronics.com'
Subject: A Plane is born

Hi

After 6 years and 178 days, RV10 C-GCWZ took to the air at Camrose Airport in Alberta, Canada.

I would like to thank all the usual suspects but especially Tim Olson for his website, Matt Dralle for this list and Dave Saylor for his fiberglass seminar. Thanks to all those who answered my cries for help. Learning how to build a plane is harder and perhaps takes longer than the actual building process. Having access to the collective wisdom of this group was quite literally pricesless. In every sense you were my build partners.

Cheers

Les Kearney
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rleffler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: A Plane is born Reply with quote

Congratulations Les!

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 8, 2013, at 1:28 AM, "Les Kearney" <kearney(at)shaw.ca (kearney(at)shaw.ca)> wrote:
[quote] <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Hi

Cheers

Les Kearney
Quote:

===================================
://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
cs.com
matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Lew Gallagher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: A Plane is born Reply with quote

That’s a small rotation for a man ... giant birth ... etc.! Awesome, Les! Post pics/ video when you can. At least more details.

Later, – Lew

[quote][b]

NOW OFICIALLY BUILDER #40549
Fly off completed !
gipsowh(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: A Plane is born Reply with quote

Way to go Les.  Hope everything went well with first flight and few minor squawks.  Let us know how she flew.  
Bill

Sent from my iPhoneBill Gipson
On Apr 8, 2013, at 12:33 AM, "Les Kearney" <kearney(at)shaw.ca (kearney(at)shaw.ca)> wrote:
Hi

I would like to thank all the usual suspects but especially Tim Olson for his website,  Matt Dralle for this list and Dave Saylor for his fiberglass seminar. Thanks to all those who answered my cries for help. Learning how to build a plane is harder and perhaps takes longer than the actual building process. Having access to the collective wisdom of this group was quite literally pricesless.  In every sense you were my build partners.

Cheers

Les Kearney
[quote][b]

Strasnuts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: A Plane is born Reply with quote

Congratulations Les!
Can't wait to see it.

[quote] ---

SuperSTOL 60 hours
dave.saylor.aircrafters(a

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: A Plane is born Reply with quote

Congratulations Les!  Keep up the good work and fly safe!
Dave Saylor
831-750-0284 CL

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 10:28 PM, Les Kearney <kearney(at)shaw.ca (kearney(at)shaw.ca)> wrote:
[quote]
Hi

I would like to thank all the usual suspects but especially Tim Olson for his website,  Matt Dralle for this list and Dave Saylor for his fiberglass seminar. Thanks to all those who answered my cries for help. Learning how to build a plane is harder and perhaps takes longer than the actual building process. Having access to the collective wisdom of this group was quite literally pricesless.  In every sense you were my build partners.

Cheers

Les Kearney
Quote:

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

rv10free2fly(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: A Plane is born Reply with quote

Congratulations mate, I wish you safe skies and tailwinds.
Your assistance with the composite cabin door frame and seal advice has inspired me Les, thank you.

Warm regards from down under.

Patrick
On 08/04/2013, at 2:58 PM, "Les Kearney" <kearney(at)shaw.ca (kearney(at)shaw.ca)> wrote:
Hi

Cheers

Les Kearney
Quote:

://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
cs.com
matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: A Plane is born Reply with quote

Hey congrats Les, tell us about the flight!
Tim

On 4/8/2013 12:28 AM, Les Kearney wrote:
Quote:
Hi

After 6 years and 178 days, RV10 C-GCWZ took to the air at Camrose
Airport in Alberta, Canada.

I would like to thank all the usual suspects but especially Tim Olson
for his website, Matt Dralle for this list and Dave Saylor for his
fiberglass seminar. Thanks to all those who answered my cries for help.
Learning how to build a plane is harder and perhaps takes longer than
the actual building process. Having access to the collective wisdom of
this group was quite literally pricesless. In every sense you were my
build partners.

Cheers

Les Kearney

bill.peyton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: A Plane is born Reply with quote

Congratulations Les! Pictures?

kearney

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: A Plane is born Reply with quote

Hi

Here is the pix with the obligatory RV grin. I have a vido but it is very large. I also need to get my daughter to clean it up a bit before I post it.

The chap in the right seat is local flight instructor. In Canada it is legal to have an instructor aboard during the fly off period. He took care of comms and help monitor the engine parameters for the flight. My engine is a 3.6L Subaru Tribeca with a 4 blade Quinti / Sensenich prop so there was a lot to keep an eye on during the first flight. I was wowed by how smooth and quite the engine was on takeoff!

Exterior pix are not all that interesting as I haven't done paint yet. It is very much a "coat of many colours" as my focus has been on getting airworthy and not pretty. I will post a couple later.

I am following the test flight syllabus laid out in Jerry Milek's "Test Flight Checklist" which can be found at www.javifix.com. It is well worth the cost. First flight lasted, by design, for about 11 minutes. The plan was to to check controls *gently* and then return to ground to check for leaks etc in the engine compartment. Based on the syllabus, each flight builds on the previous in a highly structured way. The intent is to carefully and methodically test the aircraft with a minimum of risk.

Cheers

Les
RV10 C-GCWZ

Grin.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  0 Bytes
 Viewed:  9238 Time(s)

Grin.JPG

Phil White

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: A Plane is born Reply with quote

Les: Congratulations! As a fellow auto-engine builder, I know how much extra time is involved in getting to flight. A major achievement on your part!

My Mazda 20B rotary is still in the 'build all the external support pieces to the engine' phase. Hope this warm season will allow getting to a running engine point.

Phil in IL
ps: Photo did not post. Try again.

partner14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: A Plane is born Reply with quote

Welcome to the other side.... As you will soon discover, the RV10 has to be one of the greatest planes around.... in all aspects. Congrats.
Don McDonald
500+

--- On Mon, 4/8/13, LES KEARNEY <kearney(at)shaw.ca> wrote:
Quote:

Subject: Re: Re: A Plane is born
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Monday, April 8, 2013, 9:51 AM

Hi

Here is the pix with the obligatory RV grin. I have a vido but it is very large. I also need to get my daughter to clean it up a bit before I post it.

The chap in the right seat is local flight instructor. In Canada it is legal to have an instructor aboard during the fly off period. He took care of comms and help monitor the engine parameters for the flight. My engine is a 3.6L Subaru Tribeca with a 4 blade Quinti / Sensenich prop so there was a lot to keep an eye on during the first flight. I was wowed by how smooth and quite the engine was on takeoff!

Exterior pix are not all that interesting as I haven't done paint yet. It is very much a "coat of many colours" as my focus has been on getting airworthy and not pretty. I will post a couple later.

I am following the test flight syllabus laid out in Jerry Milek's "Test Flight Checklist" which can be found at www.javifix.com. It is well worth the cost. First flight lasted, by design, for about 11 minutes. The plan was to to check controls *gently* and then return to ground to check for leaks etc in the engine compartment. Based on the syllabus, each flight builds on the previous in a highly structured way. The intent is to carefully and methodically test the aircraft with a minimum of risk.

Cheers

Les
RV10 C-GCWZ
[quote][b]

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: A Plane is born Reply with quote

A big congratulations!!

On 4/8/2013 1:28 AM, Les Kearney wrote:

Hi

Cheers

Les Kearney
Quote:

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
04/07/13 [b]

dmaib@me.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: A Plane is born Reply with quote

Congratulations Les! For some reason, I cannot access the photo, but I can imagine what that grin looks like! Have fun working through your test program. I hope to get a ride in your airplane someday.

RV-10 #40559
New Smyrna Beach, FL
John Jessen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: A Plane is born Reply with quote

Les! Way to go, man. Enjoy!

John

rv10flyer(at)live.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: A Plane is born Reply with quote

John;
Being you were my guide, via your detailed website for the tailcone (back in
2009!!) When will we be congratulating you on your completion?
--

rv10pro(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: A Plane is born Reply with quote

It is truly wonderful to hear of the completion and your addition of an Alternate Engined RV-10 to the stable of so many versatile 4 passenger - Experimental Built Cruisers.

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 10:31 PM, Les Kearney <kearney(at)shaw.ca (kearney(at)shaw.ca)> wrote:
[quote]
Hi Again

I almost forgot - A very Special Thanks to David Maib with whom I did my transition training! He is an outstanding instructor.

Cheers

Les

From: Les Kearney [mailto:kearney(at)shaw.ca (kearney(at)shaw.ca)]
Sent: April-07-13 11:28 PM
To: 'rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)'
Subject: A Plane is born

Hi

Cheers

Les Kearney
Quote:

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: