Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lycoming engine school

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: lycoming engine school Reply with quote

I changed the subject line!!!
I was faced with rebuilding my O-360-A4A in my Pitts .... reason is in another story. I have rebuilt a few car engines over my lifetime so the task wasn't really daunting.
With two manuals, the assembly manual and parts book, you can correctly disassemble, measure for wear, and reassemble our engines. The hardest part for me was splitting the case and I made tools to do that. I wish I could have gone to the engine class and I'm sure that Bill learned far more of the fine points ..... which impact longevity of the engine .... which I still don't have. I sent my parts out to have them measured/replaced as necessary ..... very few parts missed that step. I also had an A&P that let me buy parts on his account.

Bottom line .... if you follow the assembly manual with the same diligence you did with the plans while you were building ..... you'll have a 'new' engine that should last you a long time. The engine class is valuable, but not a 'required' step.
Linn

On 4/16/2013 9:39 AM, Bill Watson wrote:

[quote] On 4/15/2013 6:57 PM, jkreidler wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: "jkreidler" <jason.kreidler(at)regalbeloit.com> (jason.kreidler(at)regalbeloit.com)

Thanks Bill - this sounds great. May I ask how much they charged?

--------

Here's the full confirmation letter with all the details.

Dear Mr. Watson,
You are scheduled to attend the Lycoming Engine Service School to be held March 19-22, 2013, and the Disassembly/Reassembly course to be held March 25-27, 2013. Attached is the confirmation letter for your attendance to these classes. About a month before the first class begins, I will contact you via email to make sure you are still planning to attend. At that time I will give you payment options. Payment should be made before the first day of class. The cost for the two classes will be $1,425.00 USD each student.
The Holiday Inn, Downtown hotel is the recommended hotel to stay during your visit. They offer a discounted room rate to our students with the special code listed in your confirmation letter. They also provide free transportation to and from the class each day, and to and from the local airport. I do have a list of other hotels in the area who give a discount to our students. Not all of them, however, provide transportation. I could email that list to you if you wish.
The classes are held at Pennsylvania College of Technology’s Aviation Center in Montoursville. The Aviation Center is located adjacent to the Williamsport Regional Airport (IPT). Please instruct whomever is driving you to the class that you need to go to Penn College’s Aviation Center, Montoursville.
Also, please note that all classes start promptly at 8:00 a.m. In case of inclement weather, the Lycoming Engine classes will still be held at 8 a.m. each morning at the Aviation Center.
If you drive your own vehicle, please ask the secretary at the front desk of the Aviation Center to give you a Temporary Parking Hanger to display in your parked vehicle. The College Police will ticket any vehicles that do not display the Temporary Parking Hanger.

As part of your tuition to the Lycoming Engine Service School you will receive a choice of maintenance manuals from Lycoming Engines. The instructor will have the order forms for you to complete. It is very important that you complete the order form accurately and eligibly with theexact address where the manuals are to be shipped via FedEx. FedEx will only ship to a physical address (number, street, city). Lycoming Engines will only ship once to the address given on the order form. If the shipment cannot be delivered to the address given, they will be returned to Lycoming Engines. You will then have to contact Lycoming Engines and pay for their shipment.
If I may be of further assistance, please contact me. Thank you very much.
Betty Ayers
Workforce Development and Continuing Education
Pennsylvania College of Technology
One College Avenue
Williamsport, PA 17701
Phone: [url=tel:570-327-4775]570-327-4775[/url]
Fax: [url=tel:570.327.4538]570.327.4538[/url]
bayers(at)pct.edu (bayers(at)pct.edu)
Quote:

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
04/16/13 [b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: lycoming engine school Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more on all points!

Having never really worked on anything other than model airplane engines and 5hp mini-bike, the school gave me the confidence I needed to work on that big, expensive and important IO540.

Yep.

On 4/16/2013 10:02 AM, Linn wrote:

[quote] I changed the subject line!!!
I was faced with rebuilding my O-360-A4A in my Pitts .... reason is in another story. I have rebuilt a few car engines over my lifetime so the task wasn't really daunting.
With two manuals, the assembly manual and parts book, you can correctly disassemble, measure for wear, and reassemble our engines. The hardest part for me was splitting the case and I made tools to do that. I wish I could have gone to the engine class and I'm sure that Bill learned far more of the fine points ..... which impact longevity of the engine .... which I still don't have. I sent my parts out to have them measured/replaced as necessary ..... very few parts missed that step. I also had an A&P that let me buy parts on his account.

Bottom line .... if you follow the assembly manual with the same diligence you did with the plans while you were building ..... you'll have a 'new' engine that should last you a long time. The engine class is valuable, but not a 'required' step.
Linn

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jkreidler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: lycoming engine school Reply with quote

Thanks for the write up and information, 3% of engine cost to learn the right way to take care of our investment is peanuts. Even if a person were to decide that they did not want to tackle the engine work and instead hire an A&P I still think it is worth it. As I have said before when I first started flying I had no idea what held airplanes together, after I owned a factory airplane I started to understand the basics. It took building the RV-10 to REALLY understand, it took test flying to REALLY understand all of the details and precision of test flying. I think getting up to my elbows in the engine tear-down and assembly will help me fully understand the engine. Even though I spent my life before aviation in racing and have had countless engines in pieces, aircraft engines are different animals. Thanks again - Jason

N44YH - Flying - #40617
flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: lycoming engine school Reply with quote

Jason is right. Our aircraft engines are different than car engines
... especially today's car engines. Our engines are locked in a time
warp ..... they're rock simple and the tolerances are so large you can
almost use your finger as a feeler gauge!! OK so I fudged a little or
have small fingers .... Wink

But they are that way for a reason .... they are reliable. That is if
you do things like the valve wobble test (SB388) which most A&Ps don't
do and have your mags overhauled every 500 hours.
Linn

On 4/17/2013 8:07 AM, jkreidler wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the write up and information, 3% of engine cost to learn the right way to take care of our investment is peanuts. Even if a person were to decide that they did not want to tackle the engine work and instead hire an A&P I still think it is worth it. As I have said before when I first started flying I had no idea what held airplanes together, after I owned a factory airplane I started to understand the basics. It took building the RV-10 to REALLY understand, it took test flying to REALLY understand all of the details and precision of test flying. I think getting up to my elbows in the engine tear-down and assembly will help me fully understand the engine. Even though I spent my life before aviation in racing and have had countless engines in pieces, aircraft engines are different animals. Thanks again - Jason

--------
Jason Kreidler
4 Partner Build - Sheboygan Falls, WI
Tony Kolar, Kyle Hokel, Wayne Elser, Jason Kreidler
N44YH - Flying - #40617

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=398792#398792

-----

Kellym

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: lycoming engine school Reply with quote

Even those items vary, depending on vintage of your parts. Valve wobble
at 400 hours with pre-1997 valve guides, 1000 hours with current
production parts.
Most experienced A&Ps will tell you to inspect and repair as needed for
mags at 500 hours, overhaul at 1000 hours. Some will suggest replacement
of Slick mags at 1000 hours, as the overhaul costs are very close to
cost of new mags.
Kelly
A&P/IA

On 4/17/2013 5:32 AM, Linn wrote:
Quote:

Jason is right. Our aircraft engines are different than car engines
.... especially today's car engines. Our engines are locked in a
time warp ..... they're rock simple and the tolerances are so large
you can almost use your finger as a feeler gauge!! OK so I fudged a
little or have small fingers .... Wink

But they are that way for a reason .... they are reliable. That is if
you do things like the valve wobble test (SB388) which most A&Ps don't
do and have your mags overhauled every 500 hours.
Linn

-----

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: