Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stripped threads on tail nut.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Long

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Stripped threads on tail nut. Reply with quote

I noticed that my rudder was not straight up and down on my firefly so I adjusted the left side looser and I was going to tighten the bottom nut as I could see it was loose but the lines were still tight and when I removed the pin it fell off. The threads were gone on the nut. The only thing holding my tail was the safety pin. How tight should the cables be? I was told you should be able to strum them. I will be getting a new set of nuts and bolts from Kolb.
Bill Long
UL 2 Firefly
Holt MI.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Stripped threads on tail nut. Reply with quote

Bill L/Kolbers:

That's a 3/16" bolt and nut. Not a whole lot of meat there.

Make sure when tightening the nut, not to go past the threaded portion of the bolt. If the bolt is too long, it would be easy to do, and easy to strip those tiny threads.

That bolt and nut are critical to flight safety. Probably prove catastrophic if it failed in flight.

I personally like the tail wires tight. My Kolb flies better with tight rather than loose wires.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of William Long
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2013 5:25 PM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Stripped threads on tail nut.

I noticed that my rudder was not straight up and down on my firefly so I adjusted the left side looser and I was going to tighten the bottom nut as I could see it was loose but the lines were still tight and when I removed the pin it fell off. The threads were gone on the nut. The only thing holding my tail was the safety pin. How tight should the cables be? I was told you should be able to strum them. I will be getting a new set of nuts and bolts from Kolb.

Bill Long

UL 2 Firefly

Holt MI.

Quote:
  - The Kolb-List Email Forum - --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
Ralph B

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped threads on tail nut. Reply with quote

Back in the old days I would use a wingnut on the tailpost and the flying wires weren't too tight on my Firestar. I didn't want to use any tools in the setup to make it easier. Over time, the tangs wore a groove in the sleeves and I could see the wires weren't tight enough. I made new flying wires and started using a nylock nut with a socket to tighten. It has to be loose enough to bring the tangs together at the bottom, yet tight enough when the nut is tightened. The wires aren't drum tight, but secure enough to avoid vibrating and wearing the sleeves. I still fold the wings every time I fly it.

Since the Kolbra is hangered, its flying wires are tighter and it has turnbuckles to tighten.

Ralph B

Kolb Kolbra 912uls
N20386
550 hours
beauford173(at)tampabay.r

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Stripped threads on tail nut. Reply with quote

Ditto, Brother Ralph...

I used that wing-nut arrangement with a safety pin (per the plans) for the
first five or six years, then got to looking at it and
thinking about it... It was the only wing nut (besides me) on the whole
airplane, and even new a/n wingnuts never did seem to me to grip that
bolt quite as securely as a standard elastic stop nut. Plus, it was in a
location which was absolutely and positively certain to
ruin your whole tour if it failed. I feel a lot better with an elastic a/n
nut tightened with a wrench and regularly replaced
(along with the bolt) with a new one... Those wires sure make a nice
drumming sound when they are properly tightened.

Wondering.... Do the current plans still call for a wingnut ?

I, too, fold every time I fly, but thus far I have managed to always have
that happen afterwards.

Beauford
FF-076
Brandon, FL

--

WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.co

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Stripped threads on tail nut. Reply with quote

Bill Long/Kolbers

Wondering if anyone ever tried enlarging the bolt to 1/4 inch?  Would probably weaken the vertical tail post at the point where the bolt goes through.

Bill Varnes

In a message dated 4/22/2013 6:44:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, blong6826(at)sbcglobal.net writes:
Quote:
The threads were gone on the nut

[quote][b]

Bill Long

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Stripped threads on tail nut. Reply with quote

I plan to put two nuts on my new bolt this time. I don't ever fold it.

From: "WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.com" <WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.com>
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Mon, April 22, 2013 11:30:29 PM
Subject: Re: Stripped threads on tail nut.

Bill Long/Kolbers

Wondering if anyone ever tried enlarging the bolt to 1/4 inch? Would probably weaken the vertical tail post at the point where the bolt goes through.

Bill Varnes

In a message dated 4/22/2013 6:44:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, blong6826(at)sbcglobal.net writes:
Quote:
The threads were gone on the nut

Quote:

[quote][b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Stripped threads on tail nut. Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone ever tried enlarging the bolt to 1/4 inch? Would probably weaken the vertical tail post at the point where the bolt goes through.

Bill Varnes
Quote:
Bill V/Kolbers: I haven't had a problem using 3/16 on my MKIII with nyloc, being careful not to over torque the little nut. john hmkIIITitus, Alabama
Quote:
[quote][b]

Titus, Alabama
rowedenny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Stripped threads on tail nut. Reply with quote

I use a full 3/16' castle nut and a safety ring, makes it easy and secure.

Denny Skid Rowe

On Apr 23, 2013, at 7:34 AM, "John Hauck" <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)> wrote:
[quote] 1024x768 <![endif]--> Clean false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--> <![endif]-->/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->

Bill Varnes
Quote:
Bill V/Kolbers: I haven't had a problem using 3/16 on my MKIII with nyloc, being careful not to over torque the little nut. john hmkIIITitus, Alabama
Quote:
Quote:
[b]

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Stripped threads on tail nut. Reply with quote

I also fold the MK3 while in Florida so I kept the wing nut.Also use a slightly longer bolt and a spacer made of 3/16 I.D.steel tubing about 1/4 in.long that gets the wing nut out from under the tang so it's easier to tighten and get the safety pin in .Also keep a little grease on the wing nut face to make it easy to tighten and on ALL of the cable tangs to keep them from wearing where they contact the thimbles.
G.Aman mk3c 790 hrs Jabiru 2200a

--

Arizona Flyer

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped threads on tail nut. Reply with quote

I just bought a pre-owned Firestar II. During inspection I was looking at the tail wire bolt, a 'Jesus bolt' some call it. It took quite a bit of force to turn the wing nut far enough to tighten the wires and see the hole for the safety ring and insert it. I noticed the bolt threads were a bit rounded off and the wing nut had marks from pliers over the years (I won't use pliers, fingers only). I could wiggle the wing nut on the bolt enough to make me uncomfortable figuring it might be worn from years of use. I ordered a new bolt & wing nut, I went a grade above AN and went with stainless steel. With the new one I can barely wiggle the wing nut on the threads now, what a nice piece of mind, SAFETY FIRST, always! Please check yours for wear, if you can wiggle that wing nut much please replace it...

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped threads on tail nut. Reply with quote

...I went a grade above AN and went with stainless steel...

Stainless Steel hardware is NOT a grade above AN hardware.

http://www.sportair.com/articles/Aircraft%20Hardware%20-%20What%20You%20Need%20To%20Know.html

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
Arizona Flyer

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped threads on tail nut. Reply with quote

Thom Riddle; Regular AN steel bolts and AN stainless steel bolts are of the same hardness & strength, however stainless steel has added corrosion protection listed as 'corrosion resistant' In my opinion that IS a 'grade above' regular AN although my comment may have implied to some that I felt stainless steel was stronger. I posted something in the interest of safety by checking the tail wire bolt for wore threads and all you can do is pick on my 'grade above' comment? Sheez what a disappointment with a new member on only his second post, I hope you are the exception rather than the standard here...

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Stripped threads on tail nut. Reply with quote

I wind down pretty hard on my wing nut and had told the list that I had no problems with it for close to 800 hrs.Well, my apologies to the list,I stripped it last Monday.The bolt seems good and I have had a spare wing nut for years.No longer have a spare,and I fold it every time while down south for the winter so I want to keep it quick or I'd find an excuse to not fly it.Probably a good idea to use an AN nut IF you don't fold it on a regular basis and you like the wires bow string tight.
G.Aman MK3C Jabiru 2200A 800 hrs

--

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Stripped threads on tail nut. Reply with quote

--> <heracesthesun(at)yahoo.com>

Regular AN steel bolts and AN stainless steel bolts are of the same hardness & strength, however stainless steel has added corrosion protection listed as 'corrosion resistant' In my opinion that IS a 'grade above' regular AN although my comment may have implied to some that I felt stainless steel was stronger. I posted something in the interest of safety by checking the tail wire bolt for wore threads and all you can do is pick on my 'grade above' comment? Sheez what a disappointment with a new member on only his second post, I hope you are the exception rather than the standard here...

AZ Fly/Kolbers:

Don't be so sensitive. We are all entitled to our own opinion, right or wrong. If someone on the Kolb List sees something that isn't quite kosher, or a way to make something work better or safer, we expect them to speak up.

I use only AN hardware, especially in critical, load bearing situations like the tail wires.

For Kolb tail wires I use only AN nyloc nuts, not AN wing nuts. The reason I use a nyloc intead of wing nut is the bolt is used in stress, rather than shear. Don't believe the wingnut was intended to be used in stress. I may be wrong, but I don't use them.

I also insert the lower tailwire bolt from left to right, looking at the tailpost from the rear. This way the nyloc nut will be tightened rather than loosened when landing/taking off/taxiing through tall grass, brush, weeds, etc. My first off field landing in Alaska in 1994, on an old dirt strip called Sparky, in my MKIII, nearly resulted in a disaster, when the Alder bushes that covered the abandoned strip unscrewed the nyloc nut on my lower tailwire bolt. I had inserted the bolt from right to left.

While I am at it, the only way to know what the stall speed of an aircraft is is to stall it. That should be done at a safe altitude and note on approach.

john h
mkIII
Mobile, Alabama

Titus, Alabama
John Hauck

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Stripped threads on tail nut. Reply with quote

I wind down pretty hard on my wing nut and had told the list that I had no problems with it for close to 800 hrs.Well, my apologies to the list,I stripped it last Monday.The bolt seems good and I have had a spare wing nut for years.No longer have a spare,and I fold it every time while down south for the winter so I want to keep it quick or I'd find an excuse to not fly it.Probably a good idea to use an AN nut IF you don't fold it on a regular basis and you like the wires bow string tight.
Gary A/Kolbers:

Doesn't take any longer to screw on a 3/6 nyloc than a wing nut. You can use a nut driver to do it. Even if you need to change nuts every 4 or 5 flights, that is still money well spent.

john h
mkIII
Mobile, Alabama

Titus, Alabama
beauford173(at)tampabay.r

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Stripped threads on tail nut. Reply with quote

--

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped threads on tail nut. Reply with quote

Arizona Flyer,

In your original post you did not state AN Stainless, only stainless. There are a lot of folks who are not aware of the big differences in hardware that meets the aircraft quality standards and hardware store hardware, whether stainless or not. Since you are new to the list those of us who have been here awhile don't know your level of knowledge. This is an important safety of flight issue that deserves to be treated seriously.

I am sorry if you were offended. That was not my intention.

Perhaps you could tell the list a bit about yourself including your actual name. For what its worth, I have been a private pilot since 1966 and mechanic since 1972 and have owned 3 Kolbs, and several other airplanes over the years. I was also a sport pilot instructor but am not current in that role.

Thom in Buffalo
https://sites.google.com/site/riddletr/a&pmechanix

- Anonymous
Arizona Flyer

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped threads on tail nut. Reply with quote

Thom Riddle; You are correct Sir, I apologize. Looking back at my comment now, I can see where it looks like I ditched AN bolt and went with stainless steel bolt instead. I should have said AN stainless steel, my fault and I'm glad now that you pointed it out. It caused me enough concern to spend an hour researching AN steel bolt vs. AN stainless steel bolt and I got a good education about the difference and I thank you for that. I have been on forums where some guys love to be critical and pick apart everything others say to feed their ego and feel superior and I have a low tolerance for them. I mistakenly thought you might be one of them and realize now you are not. Thanks for the kind reply... Peace... My name is Jeff Jacobsen, I used to live in Lake Geneva Wisconsin on 18 acres with a private grass airstrip and large hangar. In my flying days there I had in progression a Quicksilver Sprint II, then a Quicksilver Sport, then an Advanced Aviation Buccaneer SX amphibian, then a Rans S-12, then built an Avid Flyer Mark IV with a Stratus Subaru engine, finally a Rans S-7 Courier that I loved but sold in 2002. I flew so much that I wore it out, the 'magic' was gone and I did not like that so I decided to take some years off from flying. In 2006 I retired and moved to the southern Arizona town of Casa Grande. I have 40 acres by the mountains and fly RC airplanes a lot. I figured the itch to get back into the sky would hit me someday and 2 years ago I took a ride in a trike, and that wonderful feeling of ultimate freedom & peace came over me again and was re-hooked, I had been away from flying for 11 years and the magic was finally back. 3 weeks ago I took delivery of a beautiful yellow Firestar II expertly built by Gary Aman. I just got off the phone with Gary for 2 hours and he was most generous and helpful. Thanks John Hauck for the input here. I may be too sensitive at times but I hate forum bullies and come down hard on them, I was wrong this time. Thom was right, my mistake may have led to some newer pilot going down to the hardware store or boat shop for a stainless steel bolt that is not AN! SAFETY FIRST, always!

rowedenny

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Stripped threads on tail nut. Reply with quote

Castle nut and safety ring. Done. Smile just sayin

Skid Rowe
On May 11, 2013, at 1:43 PM, <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com> wrote:

Quote:

Gary A/Kolbers:

Doesn't take any longer to screw on a 3/6 nyloc than a wing nut. You can use a nut driver to do it. Even if you need to change nuts every 4 or 5 flights, that is still money well spent.

john h
mkIII
Mobile, Alabama

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped threads on tail nut. Reply with quote

Jeff,
Welcome to the Kolb list and thanks for a bit about your background. We now know you are not a complete novice. Of course we were all complete novices at some point. We welcome novices with the same open arms as those with more experience.

Having access to friendly and helpful folks with more experience in particular things is something that the internet makes so easy these days. This list is one of the very best in that regard, but we have had a few "bullies" whose purpose on the list was self-aggrandizement at other's expense. In time they usually just go away when we ignore them.

Even though I just sold my Slingshot, I expect to be on the Kolb List for the duration of my flying life. It is a great bunch.

- Anonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: