Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scam warning/old scam still around

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Scam warning/old scam still around Reply with quote

Just a word of warning.

I don't know how may of you guys/gals know about this old scam.  I have my prop on Barnstormers and this is about the fourth one of these I've gotten like the one below.   Here are the dead giveaways;  e-mail address is almost always yahoo, it is untraceable.  They are not American, notice the spelling of favorable.  They have their own shipper.  The want to purchase it immediately.  They want to know the present status and price.  If you reply, they will ask you to take a cashier's check.  It will be more than the amount of the product you are selling.  They want you to deposit it in your bank and wire the difference to them. 

A couple of years ago I got one of these checks.  I called the issuing bank.  It was fake.  You could not tell the difference between it an a real check.  I contacted the US Marshal's Office.  They said "Thank You, we already have plenty of these".  They weren't being smart, it is that this is so rampant they are swamped.   I kept it for a while and threw it away. 

A lot of people think a cashiers check is the same as a money order, it is not.  A cashiers check is almost the same as a personal check other than the issuer is a bank rather than a person.  It still takes several days to clear.  In the mean time if you have sent the buyer the difference he asked for, you are screwed.  Because the cashiers check comes back hot.  And, of course the buyer is gone to yahoo land.

I get a whole bunch of these e-mails every time I use Barnstormers.  I e-mailed them and suggested they put warnings on their site, but I guess they didn't want to run off customers.   You just have to weed them out.

George Bruce,I came across your props for sale which i am interested in,and i am ready to purchase it immediately.But i would like to know the present status and it's cost price so that I can proceed further on with payment, for the shippment I have a reputable shipping. Awaiting your favourable reply. 

Larry Martin, www.skyhawg.com

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List

hilander(at)charter.net

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Scam warning/old scam still around Reply with quote

I hear you Larry, Just got one myself last week and the response I sent them may not change me getting the old scam treatment in the future, but I't made me feel better typing it and sending it back.  My ad and response are below.

Hello Mrs caroline Janet  Scammer,

How about we just dispense with the bulls**t
and you take your scam elsewhere, like the secret service for example.
Don't you guys ever get sick of jumping on new postings with the old "broken
english", "Proceed with payment", "God bless" garbage.  I mean come on!  "I
saw your advert and i will like to know more", "in other to proceed for the
payment and book an appointmen with you",  geez, what a knob job.

Oh and by the way, why don't you at least take the time to read the ad next
time before jumping on the posting with your line of CRAP!  You  might then
realize that I am looking to purchase an item and not sell.  As I said
earlier, what a knob job, UNBELIEVABLE!!

Oh and let's not forget,  God Bless

PS Get a life and stop wasting mine and other peoples time and maybe someday
soon I'll be able to meet up with you in person!!!!

Steve

----- Original Message -----
From: <caroline_j(at)myway.com (caroline_j(at)myway.com)>
To: <hilander(at)charter.net (hilander(at)charter.net)>
Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2006 8:34 AM
Subject: [barnstormers.com] Re: BRS softpack
[quote] Dear Steve,
   the following message from caroline Janet was sent through the
barnstormers.com web site in regard to the following listing..
     http://www.barnstormers.com/listing.php?id=108423
to reply to caroline Janet simply reply to this email.

From..........: caroline Janet <caroline_j(at)myway.com (caroline_j(at)myway.com)>
Phone.........: 5303340031
City..........: union
State/Province: ca
Country.......: usa

Hello seller,
I saw your advert and i will like to know more information about it,also
more picttures of it if available in other to proceed for the payment and
book an appointmen with you.
Thanks
Mrs Caroline
Quote:
---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

601zv(at)ritternet.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Scam warning/old scam still around Reply with quote

In the past I have always ignored and deleted thise scam messages, but I tried a new tact recently when flooded with them as a result of the 1,200 auction listings I have running on GunBroler.com. I simply took a second to respond "OK" to one, and received a phony cashiers check mailed from England. My thought is that It takes hardly no time to respond thusly, but the scammer is then faced with wasting his time and some real $ to precede with sending the worthless paper at international mail rates. Seems that if many people did this, it would really hit'm in the pocketbook.
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: