Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fwd: Advisory Glideslope on LP approaches ISSUE=138781 PROJ=

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigginsking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Fwd: Advisory Glideslope on LP approaches ISSUE=138781 PROJ= Reply with quote

So I noticed a while back that "advisory glide slope" disappeared from GPS 17 at KSEE, my home field. 

I thought something broke... but after flying recently with an instructor during an IPC I found out that the new LP approaches(that sometimes have lower minima) do not support advisory glideslope, at least the Garmin 430 LP implementation doesn't support advisory glideslope.

Background: For the guys that upgraded to WAAS, it was a pleasant surprise that all the non precision approaches suddenly had glideslope added, this allowed you to easily set up a stabilized approach much like an ILS on any GPS approach as long as you kept in mind that the baro altimeter and horizontal position was the actual guidance for where you belong vertically. You could still "chop and drop" but the 430 would connect the dots and give you "advisory vertical guidance" allowing for the hallowed stabilized approach.

LP came along and the FAA decided that this advisory glideslope business just has to go away. So in 2009 when Garmin implemented the LP approaches in the 430 they deleted the glideslope.

Then in 2011 the FAA recognized their mistake and published AC 90-107 and now allows advisory glideslope.
So I thought I'd see what Garmin's position was on this. The answer is below. I think basically they are saying 430 owners shouldn't hold their breath.

I suspect that more and more LP approaches will be coming online...
Bummer.
Bill
N84WJ, RV-8 915 hrs
rv-8.blogspot.com

Brief description of the problem:
Good Afternoon Sir,

While we understand the FAA's position on using advisory guidance the option to use it while flying a LP approach is limited by software. The advisory circular you quote was published on 2/11/11, while the GNS software that was first compatible with LP approaches dates back to 2009. It wasn't until the last 6 months or so that LP approaches had enough presence to disrupt LNAV+V approaches replacing the +V with lower minimums.

At this point the +V advisory guidance cannot be made available to you until/unless new software is made available for the GPS device that is being used. Garmin is aware of the impact that these changes have made on flying these approaches and will accommodate you as soon as possible. Please be aware that the process required to release new software is a long one and this feature may be some time down the road. I am not in a position to confirm if and or when this feature may be returned to your product. Please stay tuned for potential future S.W. updates for your GNC 430W.

Best Regards,
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: