Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flatbed Tow Truck To Hangar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schmoboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Flatbed Tow Truck To Hangar Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to take the fuselage to the hangar and I wanted to
check on a couple things first.

I am bit worried about the wench on the tow truck hooking to the nose
gear to get it on the truck. Not sure the weld on the front is meant to
take stresses in that direction? Is that fine or are there other options?

Anyone with a parking break, did you put fluid in the system and set the
parking break when on the truck?

I know the tilt of the truck when loading has the potential to rub the
tail when loading and unloading. I have grades at pickup and delivery
that would probably help that, but I assume you just have to be aware
and watch for that.

-Sean #40303 (last 90% to go)

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
davidsoutpost(at)comcast.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Flatbed Tow Truck To Hangar Reply with quote

There a different sizes of flatbeds available. You want one with a roll down bed and you also want one with a totally flat bed with the tie down rails flush with the deck, not up as the wheels may not clear especially if you have the axle extensions on for the wheel fairings. My driver arrived with the smaller flatbed and had to go get the larger one. The deck needs to be long and fully extended before tilting down to the ground. I had no problem getting up and on with plenty of ground clearance at the tail. I have parking brakes and used them. The operator had a tow strap that we wrapped around the nose strut twice then hooked to the winch cable hook. It worked great and the strut was not stressed at all. I purchased 4 HD ratcheting 12' straps and good thing I had them. I put a bolt through the spars at the bottom outboard holes on each side. I used one strap per side hooking on the bolt and the flush strapping/tie-down rail. Tightened just enough to full the tires down about 3/4". Then I strapped the other two tie-downs to the tail tie-down ring and out to the aft corners of the deck. Tightened up just enough to pull the tail down a couple inches and equal tension on the nose strut strap/winch. I then set the parking brake. I followed behind the flatbed and the plane was rock solid to the deck all the way to the hanger partially on a 2 mile pot hole filled dirt road. He made two trips. One for the plane and another for the wings. It was the best $200 I ever spent renting that flatbed wrecker and driver IMHO.

To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2013 11:59:49 AM
Subject: Flatbed Tow Truck To Hangar
--> RV10-List message posted by: Sean Stephens <sean(at)stephensville.com>
gear to get it on the truck. Not sure the weld on the front is meant to
and watch for that.

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rnewman(at)tcwtech.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Flatbed Tow Truck To Hangar Reply with quote

Although I used a flatbed trailer instead of a tow truck I considered the same issues. I decided to put a 2" nylon strap around the main gear and use that to pull on with a winch. Also I put the fuselage on tail first

Bob Newman
N541RV

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 16, 2013, at 11:59 AM, Sean Stephens <sean(at)stephensville.com> wrote:

Quote:

I'm getting ready to take the fuselage to the hangar and I wanted to check on a couple things first.

I am bit worried about the wench on the tow truck hooking to the nose gear to get it on the truck. Not sure the weld on the front is meant to take stresses in that direction? Is that fine or are there other options?

Anyone with a parking break, did you put fluid in the system and set the parking break when on the truck?

I know the tilt of the truck when loading has the potential to rub the tail when loading and unloading. I have grades at pickup and delivery that would probably help that, but I assume you just have to be aware and watch for that.

flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Flatbed Tow Truck To Hangar Reply with quote

On 9/16/2013 11:59 AM, Sean Stephens wrote:
Quote:

I am bit worried about the wench on the tow truck
You have wenches on your tow trucks????? Wish we had them here. All we

have is unshaven guys with pot bellies!!!!
Quote:
hooking to the nose gear to get it on the truck. Not sure the weld on
the front is meant to take stresses in that direction? Is that fine
or are there other options?
If you have a tow bar then use that to pull the airplane. Strap the tow

bar so it doesn't come unhooked. Barring that a strap just above the
nosewheel fork will do just fine. There really isn't much stress
pulling it up an incline.
Quote:
Anyone with a parking break, did you put fluid in the system and set
the parking break when on the truck?
That wouldn't be a bad idea, but when it's strapped down to the bed of

the tow truck it won't (or shouldn't) go anywhere.
Quote:
and watch for that.
The tow truck should have ramps (only two though) or you could borrow

... three .... to make the angle with the ground less severe.
Take lots of pictures!!!!
Linn
Quote:

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

kearney

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Flatbed Tow Truck To Hangar Reply with quote

Sean

With a small ramp, I was able to put my fuse on a flat bed by have someone push on each side - pushing on the gear leg and wing spar. It was actually very easy. I also had a winch on the nose gear but the load was spread evenly between the push and pull.

Cheers

Les

Sent from my iPhone

On 2013-09-16, at 10:29 AM, Tcwtech <rnewman(at)tcwtech.com> wrote:

Quote:

Although I used a flatbed trailer instead of a tow truck I considered the same issues. I decided to put a 2" nylon strap around the main gear and use that to pull on with a winch. Also I put the fuselage on tail first

Bob Newman
N541RV

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 16, 2013, at 11:59 AM, Sean Stephens <sean(at)stephensville.com> wrote:

>
>
> I'm getting ready to take the fuselage to the hangar and I wanted to check on a couple things first.
>
> I am bit worried about the wench on the tow truck hooking to the nose gear to get it on the truck. Not sure the weld on the front is meant to take stresses in that direction? Is that fine or are there other options?
>
> Anyone with a parking break, did you put fluid in the system and set the parking break when on the truck?
>
> I know the tilt of the truck when loading has the potential to rub the tail when loading and unloading. I have grades at pickup and delivery that would probably help that, but I assume you just have to be aware and watch for that.
>
> -Sean #40303 (last 90% to go)
>
>
>
>

davidsoutpost(at)comcast.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Flatbed Tow Truck To Hangar Reply with quote

Oh, And while the driver slowly winched the plane up, I had the Bogi Bar hooked up and helped steer the nose wheel.

Sent: Monday, September 16, 2013 12:23:25 PM
Subject: Re: Flatbed Tow Truck To Hangar
There a different sizes of flatbeds available. You want one with a roll down bed and you also want one with a totally flat bed with the tie down rails flush with the deck, not up as the wheels may not clear especially if you have the axle extensions on for the wheel fairings. My driver arrived with the smaller flatbed and had to go get the larger one. The deck needs to be long and fully extended before tilting down to the ground. I had no problem getting up and on with plenty of ground clearance at the tail. I have parking brakes and used them.  The operator had a tow strap that we wrapped around the nose strut twice then hooked to the winch cable hook. It worked great and the strut was not stressed at all. I purchased 4 HD ratcheting 12' straps and good thing I had them. I put a bolt through the spars at the bottom outboard holes on each side. I used one strap per side hooking on the bolt and the flush strapping/tie-down rail. Tightened just enough to full the tires down about 3/4". Then I strapped the other two tie-downs to the tail tie-down ring and out to the aft corners of the deck. Tightened up just enough to pull the tail down a couple inches and equal tension on the nose strut strap/winch. I then set the parking brake.  I followed behind the flatbed and the plane was rock solid to the deck all the way to the hanger partially on a 2 mile pot hole filled dirt road.  He made two trips. One for the plane and another for the wings. It was the best $200 I ever spent renting that flatbed wrecker and driver IMHO.

Sent: Monday, September 16, 2013 11:59:49 AM
Subject: Flatbed Tow Truck To Hangar
--> RV10-List message posted by: Sean Stephens <sean(at)stephensville.com>
gear to get it on the truck.  Not sure the weld on the front is meant to
and watch for that.

Quote:

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

schmoboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Flatbed Tow Truck To Hangar Reply with quote

Thanks all. And yes, we have wenches on our tow trucks here. You pay
extra for it, but it is worth it. Wench, winch, they both pull. Smile

DO NOT ARCHIVE

On 9/16/13 11:36 AM, Linn Walters wrote:
Quote:
You have wenches on your tow trucks????? Wish we had them here. All
we have is unshaven guys with pot bellies!!!!

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Flatbed Tow Truck To Hangar Reply with quote

I rented a roll down bed truck and drove it myself. Earlier I visited the rental place with a tape measure. Only one of their trucks had a wide enough bed.

I did not have the engine on so it was easy to winch up backwards, using the tail tie down.

I used rope to tie down the wheels, which only had an inch or so to spare from the edge of the bed. Good thing: I also chocked the wheels but after 15 miles of pot holed CA freeway, the chocks got lost somewhere along the way.

I also rented a pallet jack, and made a second trip for the engine (still in Lycoming box, on a pallet), prop, and wings (still on their wing stands but lots of rope).

I bought overpriced builder's insurance only because it covered this trip.

Phil White

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Flatbed Tow Truck To Hangar Reply with quote

Moved my -10 a week ago about 4 miles from rented hangar to garage, so I would work on it more often (only been at it 9+ years, with the auto engine conversion!). Rented a SNOW MOBILE trailer, which had a 8.5' wide x 10' long tilt-bed.
Worked great. Rear tie-down ring did drag a bit with the angle when loading, but that's why I had it in place. Wings in a cradle on casters went on the second trip. We hot-rodded it all of 17 mph max on paved streets, to baby my baby.
Rental cost was only $50 for the day, and I could control the whole process. Used a ratchet pull winch for the loading and unloading, to a rope around the nose gear. That too worked well, if slowly.

schmoboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Flatbed Tow Truck To Hangar Reply with quote

Snow Mobile trailer. Didn't think of that. There's one close by for
$60/day. Thanks.

On 9/17/13 11:22 AM, Phil White wrote:
Quote:

Moved my -10 a week ago about 4 miles from rented hangar to garage, so I would work on it more often (only been at it 9+ years, with the auto engine conversion!). Rented a SNOW MOBILE trailer, which had a 8.5' wide x 10' long tilt-bed.
Worked great. Rear tie-down ring did drag a bit with the angle when loading, but that's why I had it in place. Wings in a cradle on casters went on the second trip. We hot-rodded it all of 17 mph max on paved streets, to baby my baby.
Rental cost was only $50 for the day, and I could control the whole process. Used a ratchet pull winch for the loading and unloading, to a rope around the nose gear. That too worked well, if slowly.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=408748#408748

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Flatbed Tow Truck To Hangar Reply with quote

That's what I used, too. The catch was, I have a wide trailer, I think
100" or something
near that side. Some of the older, narrower ones won't quite do it.
Tim

On 9/17/2013 1:32 PM, Sean Stephens wrote:
Quote:

Snow Mobile trailer. Didn't think of that. There's one close by for
$60/day. Thanks.

On 9/17/13 11:22 AM, Phil White wrote:
>
>
> Moved my -10 a week ago about 4 miles from rented hangar to garage,
> so I would work on it more often (only been at it 9+ years, with the
> auto engine conversion!). Rented a SNOW MOBILE trailer, which had a
> 8.5' wide x 10' long tilt-bed.
> Worked great. Rear tie-down ring did drag a bit with the angle when
> loading, but that's why I had it in place. Wings in a cradle on
> casters went on the second trip. We hot-rodded it all of 17 mph max
> on paved streets, to baby my baby.
> Rental cost was only $50 for the day, and I could control the whole
> process. Used a ratchet pull winch for the loading and unloading, to
> a rope around the nose gear. That too worked well, if slowly.
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=408748#408748
>
>

bwestfall

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Flatbed Tow Truck To Hangar Reply with quote

As yet another method...

Sometimes you can make a narrower flatbed trailer work w/o too much effort.
I helped move Mark Cooper's RV-10 with Paul Grimstad and his flatbed trailer
that is a bit too narrow for the RV-10 wheelbase. You can see pictures of
the required lumber additions to his tilt deck flatbed to "widen" it a bit.
Worked well but did take $50 or so in boards and a screws and about 30 min
work in the Oregon rainshine that day.

Mark's blog w/photos:
http://myrv10factory.wordpress.com/2013/03/18/the-big-move/

-Ben Westfall
--

Jim Berry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Flatbed Tow Truck To Hangar Reply with quote

schmoboy wrote:
Thanks all. And yes, we have wenches on our tow trucks here. You pay
extra for it, but it is worth it. Wench, winch, they both pull. Smile

DO NOT ARCHIVE

On 9/16/13 11:36 AM, Linn Walters wrote:
Quote:
You have wenches on your tow trucks????? Wish we had them here. All
we have is unshaven guys with pot bellies!!!!

I also hired a roll down bed truck. Turns out the wench driving it was a former A&P. She was being more careful with the fuselage than I was. A real Renaissance woman.

Jim Berry

Jackm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Flatbed Tow Truck To Hangar Reply with quote

This is how we moved to paint shop for four hour drive. Very secure and easy to move. This skid will be available to anyone to use after it returns back.....only problem is it weighs half as much as complete plane.

2013-09-02 19.13.00.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  75.44 KB
 Viewed:  15141 Time(s)

2013-09-02 19.13.00.jpg

Last edited by Jackm on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
schmoboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Flatbed Tow Truck To Hangar Reply with quote

Well it made it safely to its new home. Thanks for all the suggestions. Found a company with a slide down tilt bed so had no issues with the tail dragging. I put bolts through the spars to be used as strap downs. And no... driver was not a wench. Laughing

Funny thing is that I seem to have separation anxiety this afternoon. The baby is no longer a few steps away out in the garage, but a half hour drive.

FinishKit_2013-09-30_11-10-24_IMG_1505_©SeanStephens2013.jpg
 Description:
New home
 Filesize:  123.19 KB
 Viewed:  15290 Time(s)

FinishKit_2013-09-30_11-10-24_IMG_1505_©SeanStephens2013.jpg

FinishKit_2013-09-30_10-40-21_IMG_0250_©SeanStephens2013.jpg
 Description:
On the way
 Filesize:  153.86 KB

FinishKit_2013-09-30_10-40-21_IMG_0250_©SeanStephens2013.jpg

FinishKit_2013-09-30_10-25-39_IMG_0249_©SeanStephens2013.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  165.73 KB

FinishKit_2013-09-30_10-25-39_IMG_0249_©SeanStephens2013.jpg

Bill Strahan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Flatbed Tow Truck To Hangar Reply with quote

Jackm wrote:
This is how we moved to paint shop for four hour drive. Very secure and easy to move. This skid will be available to anyone to use after it returns back.....only problem is it weighs half as much as complete plane.

Jack,

Would you be willing to share any information you have on the design of that skid? Materials, wall thicknesses, etc.

Thanks!

Bill

Jackm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Flatbed Tow Truck To Hangar Reply with quote

Bill,

Two forklift supports was 3 x 5 x .188" Across rear was 4 x 4 x.188" . Slid in each side was 3.5 x 3.5 x188" tube that was welded to 18" of heavy 8" c chan. Center front was 24" 8" c chan. 1" pipe weld on each rear skid for handles and also round support for straps to pull down on landing gear. Flat bar welded for and aft of each tire to gain extra wedge for tires to ride in.
When I get it back from paint shop I can send you better pictures and dimensions. It took about a hour to weld up and about $300 of metal but I was not going to chance rolling all that work up a ramp and end up upside down during unload at paint shop. This was quick and secure and can be used by others once we are done with it.

Hope this helps and let me know what else you need.

johngoodman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Flatbed Tow Truck To Hangar Reply with quote

Guys,
Size down those photos! It's hard to scroll to the right to read one line of text.
John

#40572 Phase One complete in 2011
Bill Strahan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Flatbed Tow Truck To Hangar Reply with quote

Perfect! Just hang on ti it, keep a forklift in the hanger, and you can lift it up enough to keep two planes in there!

Jackm wrote:
Bill,

Two forklift supports was 3 x 5 x .188" Across rear was 4 x 4 x.188" . Slid in each side was 3.5 x 3.5 x188" tube that was welded to 18" of heavy 8" c chan. Center front was 24" 8" c chan. 1" pipe weld on each rear skid for handles and also round support for straps to pull down on landing gear. Flat bar welded for and aft of each tire to gain extra wedge for tires to ride in.
When I get it back from paint shop I can send you better pictures and dimensions. It took about a hour to weld up and about $300 of metal but I was not going to chance rolling all that work up a ramp and end up upside down during unload at paint shop. This was quick and secure and can be used by others once we are done with it.

Hope this helps and let me know what else you need.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: