Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CJ Ownership - Taxes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capav8r(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: CJ Ownership - Taxes Reply with quote

I am soon to take ownership of my CJ (looking forward to being an active member of the CJ/Yak community!!). I am wondering if anybody has their planes registerd in Deleware or as a corporation to aviod the hefty use/personal taxes some states levy? I'd welcome any guidance and both pro and con comments You can contact me off list if you desire.

Thanks,

Craig W
Soon to be CJ Owner
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.co

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: CJ Ownership - Taxes Reply with quote

Craig,
Some states, regardless of whether it is registered to a Delaware corporation or a business in general or to an individual, levy personal property tax if the aircraft is located in their state. The states that do have personal property or Ad Velorum taxes as they are sometimes called, do not care to whom or where the aircraft is registered. They only care that the aircraft is based in their state. Since CJ's are not typically listed in the aircraft blue book for establishing a value to calculate taxes due, it would be in your best interest to have a Bill of Sale with an "acceptable value" (acceptable value means acceptable to you. Read between the lines here) for potential sales tax and personal property tax purposes which you can present to your local tax collector.

Many states, like Florida for example, levy a use tax at the same rate as their sales tax rate when the aircraft is located in their state for the first time. Much like when you move to a new state, you pay use tax on your automobile when registering your automobile. State aviation departments have people who review the FAA's aircraft registration database on a daily basis, looking for new aircraft registrations in their state.

I have also seen state aviation departments do ramp checks and write down N numbers to research the aircraft registration information. If they find that the aircraft is actually based in their state, they send out tax bills. If you keep your airplane at a private airfield in a private hangar, then it is a little more difficult for state aviation departments to find. Not impossible, but just more difficult.

Hope this helps.
Dennis

[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Zjopa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: CJ Ownership - Taxes Reply with quote

Dennis is right that all states are different...
BUT
If you are in any doubt about the tax laws for YOUR state... PLEASE talk to a tax accountant... We are ALL experts here on this site as you will find Wink
BUT
I had to jump through MANY hoops when I first imported my Yak...
Important things are... Where did you take delivery of the airplane, and where will it be based... Also (TRUE) what state is your drivers license?
The drivers license gives the state proof that you are resident there.
Luckily I had proof that I had owned the aircraft for a year outside the country.. (while it was being restored)
Otherwise I would have an $8000 tax bill!!!
Beware!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: