Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homebuilders, how do you cope?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
occom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Homebuilders, how do you cope? Reply with quote

I live in a middle class subdivision. House on house and no privacy to speak of. I absolutely have to take the plane out into the driveway to work on it with the wings on. Yesterday I had a little girl stand at the end of my driveway screaming "It's an airplane! " at the top of her lungs over and over again. Today I had an endless parade of men in trade trucks who should be working stop by to offer opinions etc. and a man who does not live in my neighbourhood going around the block several times and staring. I felt like I was being "cased" for a theft. Creepy. Finally I just gave up, too angry and frustrated to continue in my role as "circus performer" for the world. I'll continue my project when I can get hangar space. I know a lot of you are stuck in the same position, how do you cope! I'm pretty sure screaming "F*** OFF" won't help.

Dave Goddard- Mod IV 1050/582
do not archive
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Homebuilders, how do you cope? Reply with quote

At 11:15 AM 8/22/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
I'll continue my project when I can get hangar space.

DON'T DO IT! Better to scream "F*** OFF".

Quote:
I know a lot of you are stuck in the same position, how do you cope! I'm pretty sure screaming "F*** OFF" won't help.

Help whom?

Guy Buchanan
San Diego, CA
K-IV 1200 / 582-C / Warp / 100% done, thanks mostly to Bob Ducar.

Do not archive
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Homebuilders, how do you cope? Reply with quote

See if any of your neighbours will rent you their garage

Noel
[quote]
--

occom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Homebuilders, how do you cope? Reply with quote

Wouldn't work Noel. Clearly you've never seen a suburban garage, They are for storing bicycles the kids no longer ride, toys the kids no longer play with, old broken appliances, fertiilzer, lawn implemants, hose and God knows what's behind that layer! I only know one person who parks a car in one.

do not archive
[quote] ---

shinco(at)bright.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Homebuilders, how do you cope? Reply with quote

I belive it is time for you to have a hanger.I love my hanger.I can go
out to the airport and relax,and do what I like to do.work on my kit
fox.in peace.no body bothers me.just the guys that some time hang out
there at the airport.and some times they will help out when I need it
the most.My second home.some times my first home.the only place to have
your plane in its own hanger. Steve Shinabery N554KF KF2

Dave G. wrote:
[quote] Wouldn't work Noel. Clearly you've never seen a suburban garage, They
are for storing bicycles the kids no longer ride, toys the kids no
longer play with, old broken appliances, fertiilzer, lawn implemants,
hose and God knows what's behind that layer! I only know one person
who parks a car in one.

do not archive

---

kentk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Homebuilders, how do you cope? Reply with quote

I have the same arrangement and cope just fine (although I must admit that my plane doesn't draw that much attention). My neighbors (and their kids) all know what I am building and they pretty much take it in stride. One neighbor thought I was building a helicopter (only saw the fuelage).

I enjoy the opportunity to show them that there are still people out there that dream about flying and are actually doing something about it (not just dreaming about it). I have only had one stranger stop and ask questions, and once I let a neighbor kid sit in the seat and play with the controls (stress testing, hehe).

I guess it all depends on your personality, temperment and outlook on the building process. Maybe you could throw a tarp over it when you have to roll it out of the garage???

thesupe(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Homebuilders, how do you cope? Reply with quote

Probably most of them wish they were you and had an airplane to work on.
Try to look on the bright side, (and look for land in the country) If you
were washing the mini-van you wouldn't be somebody!! Hope that helps, Jim
Chuk Avid MK IV/Jabiru 2200 (first flight with that engine before the
weekend, I hope)
Quote:
Reply-To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
To: <kitfox-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Homebuilders, how do you cope? Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007
15:15:40 -0300

I live in a middle class subdivision. House on house and no privacy to
speak of. I absolutely have to take the plane out into the driveway to work
on it with the wings on. Yesterday I had a little girl stand at the end of
my driveway screaming "It's an airplane! " at the top of her lungs over and
over again. Today I had an endless parade of men in trade trucks who should
be working stop by to offer opinions etc. and a man who does not live in my
neighbourhood going around the block several times and staring. I felt like
I was being "cased" for a theft. Creepy. Finally I just gave up, too angry
and frustrated to continue in my role as "circus performer" for the world.
I'll continue my project when I can get hangar space. I know a lot of you
are stuck in the same position, how do you cope! I'm pretty sure screaming
"F*** OFF" won't help.
do not archive

occom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Homebuilders, how do you cope? Reply with quote

Now that'd be some size tarp. I think today might be better, things seem
quieter. The plumber has not returned, that's a relief. Very unpleasant
experience. I have met a number of people who were simply interested and
asked pleasant questions. I guess all it takes is one mouthy tool.

do not archive
---

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Homebuilders, how do you cope? Reply with quote

I've got the Vixen fuselage hanging from the garage ceiling, a minivan, car, and a motorcycle, all in the garage. The fuselage is hanging by 3 mini block and tackles, so can be on the floor within less than 5 minutes after the van and car come out of the garage. Used to have a Stinson 10A fuselage taking the car's place. It took a little while for the neighbors to get used to it but only a couple of weekends. They hardly look twice now.
From my experience, the guy looking again and again will be the one who can't get up the nerve to stop and say "I wanna learn to fly some day." Give him a wave and sooner or later he'll stop, then give him a wire brush and something to clean.
BTW, the kayak, kids bikes, etc had to go into a new shed under the back deck. I'll be back to working on the wings in the basement after the kids go back to school next week.
Bob
Vixen
Damascus, MD

P1030757.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.99 MB
 Viewed:  600 Time(s)

P1030757.JPG

Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Homebuilders, how do you cope? Reply with quote

Good luck with the flight, Jim...keep us posted.

Lynn Matteson
Grass Lake, Michigan
Kitfox IV Speedster w/Jabiru 2200
flying w/369+ hrs
do not archive

On Aug 23, 2007, at 12:38 AM, Jim_and_Lucy Chuk wrote:

Quote:

<thesupe(at)hotmail.com>

Probably most of them wish they were you and had an airplane to
work on. Try to look on the bright side, (and look for land in the
country) If you were washing the mini-van you wouldn't be
somebody!! Hope that helps, Jim Chuk Avid MK IV/Jabiru 2200
(first flight with that engine before the weekend, I hope)

crazyivan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Homebuilders, how do you cope? Reply with quote

In real life I'm like you, but for the sake of general aviation and experimental aviation I'll play the diplomat. There are too many idiots that don't like airplane noises trying to shut down our great small airports because they were stupid enough to buy a house next to an airport and too many politicians trying to tax us out of our ability to fly because the airlines want a tax break. OK not so diplomatic..yet.

We need to be making as many friends as possible in the general population while trying not to alienate anybody. If you piss off some local councilman while working on your plane in your driveway then you'll end up with a law like they have in Jacksonville, FL, where you are not allowed to keep, maintain, or build an airplane on your property. http://www.jaxairplane.com/services.htm

davyken(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Homebuilders, how do you cope? Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

I had my share of nosy neighbors. Mostly they're curious and don't really know where to start or what to ask.

Conversations usually ran like this:
"Have you flown it yet?" This was usually at a point when the plane had no engine, fabric or instruments. No.
I live right next to the subdivision park. The second most asked question was "Will you fly it from the park here?" No, kids play in the park. It wouldn't be safe.
"Where will you fly it from?" I'll take it to an airport.
"How will you get it to the airport?" On a truck.
And so on.

I had that conversation pretty much once a week for a couple of years. My answer came when I started fabric covering. I found that if you spray enough foul smelling hazardous chemicals, all your neighbors move away. I also found that it helps for the first year or so if you tell people it's a boat. Sooner or latter you'll get questions like "Hey man, why does your boat have wings?" I'd tell them that it's an "air boat" like in Florida. Mostly they'd just nod and wander away like they understand it all. Another tip for keeping the curious away. Install a cargo pod and when they ask what it is, tell them you can't really say and then ask if they know of a source for enriched plutonium.

A new family moved in right next door about the time I was spraying the base color coats. I came out of the garage in my Tyvek suit, spray mask and goggles holding my paint gun and I hear a voice say "Luke, I am your father." It was my new neighbor. He looked at me an laughed so hard he sat down in his driveway. "Dude, what are you doing?" I explained it and we became best friends. He's gone to Oshkosh with me several times and now is interested in building his own plane. So, don't be too harsh. You might be scaring off a future convert.

Ken Davy
N1701S
Classic IV / 912

I live in a middle class subdivision. House on house and no privacy to speak of. I absolutely have to take the plane out into the driveway to work on it with the wings on. Yesterday I had a little girl stand at the end of my driveway screaming "It's an airplane! " at the top of her lungs over and over again. Today I had an endless parade of men in trade trucks who should be working stop by to offer opinions etc. and a man who does not live in my neighbourhood going around the block several times and staring. I felt like I was being "cased" for a theft. Creepy. Finally I just gave up, too angry and frustrated to continue in my role as "circus performer" for the world. I'll continue my project when I can get hangar space. I know a lot of you are stuck in the same position, how do you cope! I'm pretty sure screaming "F*** OFF" won't help.
[quote][b]

occom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Homebuilders, how do you cope? Reply with quote

Nice you met somebody with a sense of humour, they're rare. A lot of people wouldn't have understood even a simple joke like that. Anyway I've found a way to mount one wing at a time inside the garage, had to rig up a sling to hold most of the weight. So, I am no longer in a rush to get my work done before I have to take it all down again.

My neighbors are seldom a problem in any respect, they are largely freindly and mindful of what little privacy this type of neighborhood allows. It's the stream of people who drive through every day that are the source of problems, thefts etc. I moved here for the family, close to schools, hospitals and such. It's convenient, but not enjoyable.

do not archive
[quote] ---

n85ae

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Homebuilders, how do you cope? Reply with quote

I live in the Chicago suburbs, I'm building my second plane in my garage.
All I can say is get used to the attention, it is part of the package. I just
smile and act cheerfull, and go about my business - It's the only thing you
can do in my opinion.

Building a plane in the garage is not the normal thing people do, so no
matter what you do it's gonna get attention.

I have a nearby neighbor has a Pro Stock drag car, I dare say he draws
a lot more attention than I do when he has it out in the driveway.

Jeff Hays

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: