Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

601 XL 15 gal. fuel tanks.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notsew_evets(at)frontiern

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: 601 XL 15 gal. fuel tanks. Reply with quote

Speaking of fuel senders in your tanks,,,,
I m about to cut into my 601 XL tanks to install the sending units.
My plans show the hole in the end of the tank and my CD shows the hole on the top just in front of the spar.
What did you guys do ??
Seems like on top would be best and not leak....
If its installed on the inboard end as per plans, can the unit be removed thru the access hole if needed ?

SW
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Tim Juhl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 601 XL 15 gal. fuel tanks. Reply with quote

I didn't use the ZAC supplied units. I installed capacitance type probes from the outboard end of the tank. If they fail I will most likely have to open up the leading edge.

The latest plans call for installing them in the end of the tank. I believe there is a clearance problem with the head of the sender and the skin if you try to top mount them. Hopefully someone else will chime in here.

Tim

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Zodiac XL - Jabiru 3300A
Almost done! It'll fly in spring!
Afterfxllc(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: 601 XL 15 gal. fuel tanks. Reply with quote

The old style sender could be top mounted but the new style is mounted on the side. If you have a older kit or older plans they call for 4 ribs before the tank and the access hole is pretty small (I just made one so trust me it's small) and I don't think with the four rib style you could get it out without loosing some blood from your hands. The 3 rib wing (New style) gives you a bigger access hole and the tank is right against the tank and the sender lines up with the flanged hole in the rib so it would be fairly easy to remove the sender.

Hope this helps
Jeff

In a message dated 11/27/2007 8:30:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, juhl(at)avci.net writes:
Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "Tim Juhl" <juhl(at)avci.net>

I didn't use the ZAC supplied units. I installed capacitance type probes from the outboard end of the tank. If they fail I will most likely have to open up the leading edge.

The latest plans call for installing them in the end of the tank. I believe there is a clearance problem with the head of the sender and the skin if you try to top mount them. Hopefully someone else will chime in here.

Tim

--------
Working on wings

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=148971#148971

Check out AOL Money & Finance's list of the hottest products and top money wasters of 2007.
[quote][b]

notsew_evets(at)frontiern

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: 601 XL 15 gal. fuel tanks. Reply with quote

My QBK is # 55. There are three nose ribs inboard of the tank. I assume I need to install the senders on the end of the tank. Its no problem but I didnt want to screw up these "costly" tanks. I ve been watching your discussion of tank costs here and cant believe the $$$$$.
Heck, about $6 of sheet aluminum and a tig welder would put us in business...

SW
[quote] ---

Afterfxllc(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: 601 XL 15 gal. fuel tanks. Reply with quote

Meant to say the tank is right against the rib

In a message dated 11/27/2007 8:53:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, Afterfxllc(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
The old style sender could be top mounted but the new style is mounted on the side. If you have a older kit or older plans they call for 4 ribs before the tank and the access hole is pretty small (I just made one so trust me it's small) and I don't think with the four rib style you could get it out without loosing some blood from your hands. The 3 rib wing (New style) gives you a bigger access hole and the tank is right against the tank and the sender lines up with the flanged hole in the rib so it would be fairly easy to remove the sender.

Hope this helps
Jeff

In a message dated 11/27/2007 8:30:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, juhl(at)avci.net writes:
Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "Tim Juhl" <juhl(at)avci.net>

Tim

--------
Working on wings

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=148971#148971

Check out AOL Money & Finance's list of the hottest products and top money wasters of 2007.
Quote:

://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
f="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com

[quote][b]

psm(at)ATT.NET

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: 601 XL 15 gal. fuel tanks. Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

I have a fairly recent standard XL kit. I installed the senders on the tank tops. This seemed the easiest way to prevent most leaking (at least if the tank is not overfilled) and I just didn't worry about repairing a failed sender. In truth, my flying always considered fuel gauges as nice ornaments, while fuel management was done with timing and planning. Also my preflight inspection always includes a visual inspection of fuel levels in the tanks. That means if the sender fails to properly indicate the correct level that is not much of a problem, but if it leaks all your fuel then it can be a huge problem.

The senders I installed came in the kit and fit neatly under the skin. I understand there are different ones that have a ground stud that interferes with the skin that need to be shortened.

One note for all those folks who are considering welding their own aluminium tanks, I would suggest starting your TIG welding projects with something easier to accomplish. Welding thin aluminum qualifies as the most difficult kind of welding there is and requires a great deal of skill and experience.

Good luck,

Paul
XL fuselage

At 04:40 PM 11/27/2007, you wrote:
[quote]Speaking of fuel senders in your tanks,,,,
My plans show the hole in the end of the tank and my CD shows the hole on the top just in front of the spar.
What did you guys do ??
If its installed on the inboard end as per plans, can the unit be removed thru the access hole if needed ?

SW

[b]

ernieth(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: 601 XL 15 gal. fuel tanks. Reply with quote

Paul,

I like your reasoning on this.

Thanks.

Do Not Archive.

On Nov 28, 2007 3:47 PM, Paul Mulwitz <psm(at)att.net (psm(at)att.net)> wrote:
[quote] Hi Steve,

I have a fairly recent standard XL kit. I installed the senders on the tank tops. This seemed the easiest way to prevent most leaking (at least if the tank is not overfilled) and I just didn't worry about repairing a failed sender. In truth, my flying always considered fuel gauges as nice ornaments, while fuel management was done with timing and planning. Also my preflight inspection always includes a visual inspection of fuel levels in the tanks. That means if the sender fails to properly indicate the correct level that is not much of a problem, but if it leaks all your fuel then it can be a huge problem.

The senders I installed came in the kit and fit neatly under the skin. I understand there are different ones that have a ground stud that interferes with the skin that need to be shortened.

One note for all those folks who are considering welding their own aluminium tanks, I would suggest starting your TIG welding projects with something easier to accomplish. Welding thin aluminum qualifies as the most difficult kind of welding there is and requires a great deal of skill and experience.

Good luck,

Paul
XL fuselage

At 04:40 PM 11/27/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
Speaking of fuel senders in your tanks,,,,
What did you guys do ??

SW

[b]

Afterfxllc(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: 601 XL 15 gal. fuel tanks. Reply with quote

That's why they cost so much good point.

In a message dated 11/29/2007 8:07:21 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, ernieth(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:
Welding thin aluminum qualifies as the most difficult kind of welding there is and requires a great deal of skill and experience.

ashontz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 601 XL 15 gal. fuel tanks. Reply with quote

I hear ya. I just ordered some stuff and an instructional video to gas weld my tanks. At least if I'm going to spend even half or a thrid that kind of money I want some tools and skills out of it I can have forever.

[quote="notsew_evets(at)frontiern"]My QBK is # 55. There are three nose ribs inboard of the tank. I assume I need to install the senders on the end of the tank. Its no problem but I didnt want to screw up these "costly" tanks. I ve been watching your discussion of tank costs here and cant believe the $$$$$.

SW
Quote:
---

Afterfxllc(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: 601 XL 15 gal. fuel tanks. Reply with quote

If you ordered that crap they show using a torch and some rods don't waste your money. Trust me you will do nothing but make a lot of scrap metal.

In a message dated 11/30/2007 1:07:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, ashontz(at)nbme.org writes:
Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "ashontz" <ashontz(at)nbme.org>

I hear ya. I just ordered some stuff and an instructional video to gas weld my tanks. At least if I'm going to spend even half or a thrid that kind of money I want some tools and skills out of it I can have forever.

[quote="notsew_evets(at)frontiern"]My QBK is # 55. There are three nose ribs inboard of the tank. I assume I need to install the senders on the end of the tank. Its no problem but I didnt want to screw up these "costly" tanks. I ve been watching your discussion of tank costs here and cant believe the $$$$$.

SW

Quote:
---

--------
Andy Shontz
CH601XL - Corvair
www.mykitlog.com/ashontz

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=149665#149665

[quote][b]

ashontz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 601 XL 15 gal. fuel tanks. Reply with quote

We'll see how it turns out. Apparently it's all about the flux, and you need special googles when working with certain fluxes for aluminum.

Apparently there's some way to weld it, and I suspect this is the best way. Everything I've heard about TIG welding is not great either, the splatter from that can burn a bunch of little pin holes all over the place.

Worse case I'm out $75 for an aluminum welding kit and $20 worth of sheet metal. At least I'll have tried. I suspect it will work though. And no, this is not brazing, it's welding, with either a MAPP torch or acetyleine.

Larry McFarland welded his own tanks with some patience, he's the man! I'll give it a try. That's what homebuilding is about, self-education. 3 years ago my neighbor had a smirk on his face when he saw I was building a plane. He doesn't smirk anymore. Meanwhile Mr. Smirky still spends his saturdays helping his wife grocery shop. I'll at least try welding them myself. Apparently it comes with a VHS video. Now I can't imagine them making a VHS video of a guy welding with said supplies, actually making a weld on video, and then me taking some scrap pieces and having total bum luck with it and not even be able to rudimentally join a bunch of scrap pieces that I can learn from before proceeding to the tank. That just doesn't make sense. Plus, the gas welding aluminum video was rated thumbs up by the EAA. Apparently this is a viable way of welding aluminum tanks.

[quote="Afterfxllc(at)aol.com"]If you ordered that crap they show using a torch and some rods don't waste your money. Trust me you will do nothing but make a lot of scrap metal.

In a message dated 11/30/2007 1:07:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, ashontz(at)nbme.org writes:
Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "ashontz" <ashontz>

SW

Quote:
---

--------
Andy Shontz
CH601XL - Corvair
www.mykitlog.com/ashontz

Quote:
[b]

larry(at)macsmachine.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: 601 XL 15 gal. fuel tanks. Reply with quote

Excellent decision Andy,
I welded my tanks and re-learned a great deal doing them. You might be
interested in visiting my Journal section 2, March 29th thru May as I
recorded the most important
solutions, issues and difficulties in producing these tanks. Also have
a picture pages on header tank and leading edge tanks and the methods
used to get fixture and jigs to hold them while welding. (see links) I
found the overlap weld seam a much stronger joint than the barrel type
edge weld and much less obstructive to place in a wing.

www.macsmachine.com/html/leadedgetanks.htm
www.macsmachine.com/html/headertank.htm

Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com

ashontz wrote:
Quote:

SW

Andy Shontz
CH601XL - Corvair
www.mykitlog.com/ashontz

ifly4fun2(at)sbcglobal.ne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: 601 XL 15 gal. fuel tanks. Reply with quote

Find a cheap stick welder and convert it to a tig to weld the aluminum and use the oxy/acetylene
for the steel. Here's the link for the conversion kit if your interested:

http://www.tigdepot.net/products_details2.php?productid=197

Art
--- Afterfxllc(at)aol.com wrote:

Quote:
If you ordered that crap they show using a torch and some rods don't waste
your money. Trust me you will do nothing but make a lot of scrap metal.

In a message dated 11/30/2007 1:07:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ashontz(at)nbme.org writes:

I hear ya. I just ordered some stuff and an instructional video to gas weld
my tanks. At least if I'm going to spend even half or a thrid that kind of
money I want some tools and skills out of it I can have forever.

[quote="notsew_evets(at)frontiern"]My QBK is # 55. There are three nose
ribs inboard of the tank. I assume I need to install the senders on the end of
the tank. Its no problem but I didnt want to screw up these "costly"
tanks. I ve been watching your discussion of tank costs here and cant believe
the $$$$$.
Heck, about $6 of sheet aluminum and a tig welder would put us in
business...

SW

> ---

--------
Andy Shontz
CH601XL - Corvair
www.mykitlog.com/ashontz

**************************************Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest
products.
(http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001)

Afterfxllc(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: 601 XL 15 gal. fuel tanks. Reply with quote

I have the video and I bought the rods and trust me you don't want to use this stuff on your fuel tanks. If it is the one where they show the guy filling a hole in a soda can you are just asking to shorten your life span even if you did somehow get the stuff to hold. I understand you are trying to save money but what you are talking about is just plain dangerous If it the same stuff I bought.

Jeff

In a message dated 11/30/2007 4:40:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, ashontz(at)nbme.org writes:
Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "ashontz" <ashontz(at)nbme.org>

We'll see how it turns out. Apparently it's all about the flux, and you need special googles when working with certain fluxes for aluminum.

Apparently there's some way to weld it, and I suspect this is the best way. Everything I've heard about TIG welding is not great either, the splatter from that can burn a bunch of little pin holes all over the place.

Worse case I'm out $75 for an aluminum welding kit and $20 worth of sheet metal. At least I'll have tried. I suspect it will work though. And no, this is not brazing, it's welding, with either a MAPP torch or acetyleine.

Larry McFarland welded his own tanks with some patience, he's the man! I'll give it a try. That's what homebuilding is about, self-education. 3 years ago my neighbor had a smirk on his face when he saw I was building a plane. He doesn't smirk anymore. Meanwhile Mr. Smirky still spends his saturdays helping his wife grocery shop. I'll at least try welding them myself. Apparently it comes with a VHS video. Now I can't imagine them making a VHS video of a guy welding with said supplies, actually making a welding on video, and then me taking some scrap pieces and having total bum luck with it and not even be able to rudimentally join a bunch of scrap pieces that I can learn from before proceeding to the tank. That just doesn't make sense.

[quote="Afterfxllc(at)aol.com"]If you ordered that crap they show using a torch and some rods don't waste your money. Trust me you will do nothing but make a lot of scrap metal.

Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "ashontz"

[quote="notsew_evets(at)frontiern"]My QBK is # 55. There are three nose ribs inboard of the tank. I assume I need to install the senders on the end of the tank. Its no problem but I didnt want to screw up these "costly" tanks. I ve been watching your discussion of tank costs here and cant believe the   $$$$$.

SW

> ---
>
>

--------
Andy Shontz
CH601XL - Corvair
www.mykitlog.com/ashontz

Check out AOL Money & Finance's list of the hottest products (http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001) and top money wasters (http://money.aol.com/top5/general/ways-you-are-wasting-money?NCID=aoltop00030000000002) of 2007.

Quote:
[b]

--------
Andy Shontz
CH601XL - Corvair
www.mykitlog.com/ashontz

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=149683#149683

[quote][b]

shilcom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: 601 XL 15 gal. fuel tanks. Reply with quote

I guess for polarity reversal when going from 4130 to aluminum you will have to rig up a way to switch the leads unless your dc machine has straight and reverse polarity. Bob U.
[quote] ---

shilcom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: 601 XL 15 gal. fuel tanks. Reply with quote

I do have the "stuff" in a few places, not generally on the airplane. One of the problems is "they" call it welding and it's actually "soldering". One of the differences is the metals being attached don't reach melting temperatures like they do with welding. If one approaches the connection and the connection needs with the properties of "soldering" in mind it CAN work well. Clean joint with correct tools and good "lapping type" fit up. I think an improvement could also be made with the "Proper" cleaning type flux, but I haven't seen one being reccommended. I used silver solder flux once and it seemed to work good. bob U.
[quote] ---

psm(at)ATT.NET

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: 601 XL 15 gal. fuel tanks. Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

I suggest you invest in an instructional book on welding along with
your new equipment. Nearly all welding suppliers have the one I
bought several years ago - "Welder's Handbook" by Finch. It will
tell you which welding technique will work for which base metal and
which technique will not.

Aluminum is extremely hard to weld for two simple reasons. First,
you can't see when it is getting hot because it melts before changing
color - unlike steel which gets nice and red before melting. Second,
aluminum is an excellent conductor which means the heat you apply
gets carried quickly away from the point you apply it. That means
you need a much higher power welding system for aluminum than for
steel. There is also the fact that aluminum oxidizes so quickly and
the oxide is invisible but will ruin a weld. I have heard it is
possible to gas weld aluminum, but you will need a heavy duty
oxy-acetylene rig. I don't think a mapp gas setup will work. Your
chances of success will be a lot greater with TIG.

TIG welding should not spatter at all. If it does, you are doing
something very wrong. For aluminum, you need an A/C power supply
which is not found on the low end welders. An entry level A/C TIG
welding rig will cost around $1200 if you shop carefully. The bigger
professional class units with a high duty cycle and water cooling
will be more like $5,000. Add to that another hundred or so for a
bottle of shield gas and you are ready to start. You also need
appropriate filler metal rods - different ones for each type of base
metal you want to weld. Did I mention another hundred or two for a
good self darkening helmet? I strongly urge you to not skimp on that
part since you will surely blind yourself with improper (or
improperly used) eye protection.

Of course, the price of the required equipment is more than the price
of the tanks from ZAC. Then you need to spend the required time to
learn how to do the incredibly hard task of welding aluminum and then
adjust it to very thin aluminum.

I will give you credit though. You are facing a monumental task with
little chance of success.

Good luck,

Paul
XL fuselage
At 01:38 PM 11/30/2007, you wrote:

Quote:
Apparently there's some way to weld it, and I suspect this is the
best way. Everything I've heard about TIG welding is not great
either, the splatter from that can burn a bunch of little pin holes
all over the place.

paulrod36(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: 601 XL 15 gal. fuel tanks. Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> "That crap they show using a torch and some rods" actually works, but you have to have so clean of a surface, and such a delicate touch with the torch, that it's an exercise in frustration. So far, the best result I ever got out of it was an appreciation of zen, and patience, patience, patience, until I said to hell with it, and used rivets and Pro-Seal. Then I killed the Grasshopper.

Paul Rodriguez
[quote] ---

Ron Lendon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 601 XL 15 gal. fuel tanks. Reply with quote

Not very encouraging words for the most part. Larry Mac did the most study and had success.

I took another route and bought the Miller Syncrowave 200 at the Oshkosh show price. I plan on using it for other things also. I choose this welder because it has the AC cycle and something called Balance and Pulse. These two features make welding thin aluminum easy. The construction of the tanks was just like the prints and the .032" 6061-T6 welded easy only requiring 28 - 30 amps for the edge welds. More amperage was required for the fittings and ground strap.

I did use 3.25 power reading glases to bring the work closer to me. At that low of amperage, using a 1/16" 2% thoriated tungsten, Balance at 5.0 and Pulse set at 2.3, all I did was fuse the metal. Filler rod was 1/16" 4043 and I used very little on the seams of the tank.

Pressure tested with bubble water and found no leaks.

It can be done. I haven't welded aluminum in over 20 years but if you keep the metal clean, small stainless wire brush before striking an arc, and tack the tank together, every 4" or so, you can do it too. Keep the oxidation off the work, join your welds and watch the puddle.

The small stainless brush should only be used for pre-cleaning always just before you strike the arc. Aluminum oxidizes real quick so, clean, stitch weld, clean, stitch weld.

Follow this link to see the process:
http://mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=rlendon&project=113&category=0&log=33993&row=99
I have welded aluminum using oxyacetylene, you see what I used here, with oxyacetylene, touch ups are really hard and the welding process goes real fast, I can't keep up. Setting the torch so it uses little oxygen from the tank and mostly from the atmosphere helps keep the oxidation down. Flux both the joint and the rod. You can get it from several sources. Here is one I used to work with:
http://www.fournierenterprises.com/cart/home.php?cat=8

Blue lenses help you see the work better.

N601LT - Flying
http://www.mykitlog.com/rlendon
Corvair Engine Prints:
https://sites.google.com/site/corvairenginedata/
ifly4fun2(at)sbcglobal.ne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: 601 XL 15 gal. fuel tanks. Reply with quote

Bob,
My stick machine is AC only. Last I remember AC was one suitable method for welding alum.
Art
--- Bob Unternaehrer <shilocom(at)mcmsys.com> wrote:

[quote] I guess for polarity reversal when going from 4130 to aluminum you will have to rig up a way to
switch the leads unless your dc machine has straight and reverse polarity. Bob U.
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: