Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two year flight report on 31BZ - long read

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N1BZRich(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Two year flight report on 31BZ - long read Reply with quote

All Lightning (and Esqual) listers,
Just to provide some possible discussion topics and perhaps get some more message traffic flowing, I offer the following information after flying N31BZ for exactly two years. I will cover some engine and some airframe comments, since my Esqual has lots of Lightning mods installed.
I have been flying my highly modified Esqual LS (Lightning Stuff with Jabiru 3300) for exactly two years now (finishing up the 2nd annual today) and I have exactly 405 hours on the engine and airframe. In that 405 hours I have had absolutely no problems with the engine and I run it hard, as many of you know. Only standard maintenance has been required and accomplished.  I change oil and filter every 25 to 35 hours, replace the plugs at 100 hours (heck, they are only around $2.00 each so why clean them), accomplish head torques and valve adjustments on schedule, and replaced caps and rotors at 250 hours (I think the book calls for that to be done at 200). Compressions this year varied between 70 and 73 for all 6 cylinders - in fact two were 70, two were 72, and two were 73. Pete says that is right in the ball park for an engine with between 300 to 500 hours. To say I am pleased with the engine would be an understatement. All of my previous airplanes have been powered with Continentals and Lycomings, but I must say this engine is just as reliable and easy to work on as either of those. In fact the Jabiru 3300 kind of reminds me of the 6 cylinder O-300 Continental the way it is designed and goes together. By the way, I highly recommend the engine seminar at Jabiru USA in Tennessee.
Now some airframe comments:
First off, I still don't have the best prop for the clean airframe that is represented by my airplane and of course all Lightnings. I am currently running a fixed pitch Sensenich 64ZK56 and I can still over speed the engine at 5000 feet by something between 150 to 200 rpm above the max of 3300. At 5,000 feet I am showing something just over 185 mph tas at 3300 rpm with the current prop. Since I live at sea level, I see just over 200 indicated down the runway when holding the engine at 3300. Nick and I have discussed this issue and run many test profiles with different props on 31BZ and on both the prototype and demo Lightnings and we expect to have a better prop sometime early next year - hopefully by Sun-N-Fun. I expect to have a slightly shorter prop (62 inches) but go all the way up to 60 inches in pitch. Also, the blade profile will be more simitar shaped. The goal is not primarily to up the top speed, but instead to up the cruise speed at cruise rpm and lower the fuel burn - great cruise speed with efficiency is really what we are looking for. 
I have had no real airframe issues during the past two years. The only thing I plan to change, when I get the time, will be to do some experiments on the main gear legs to try to get rid of the sometime gear leg shimmy. I may go the "broom stick" mod that the RV guys do, but before doing that I want to try an easier fix by using a small "V" angle aluminum strip (say 1/8" thick by 1/2" on the angles, by what ever length the gear leg is) that will be clamped to the trailing edge of the gear leg.  All I need is the time. I already have the parts. This shimmy occurs on landing roll out on hard surface as you are slowing down through about 22 mph. It does not happen on grass. Tire pressure definitely has an effect, with lower pressure being better. I normally air my mains up to 25 PSI and then re-air them when they look low. That low look seems to be about 15 to 18 PSI. I will let you all know the results when I get the time to do the experiments.
Other than that, the only other thing to mention is that my trim bungees needed to be tightened at about the 1&1/2 year point. They just lost some of their elasticity so I replaced them instead of re-tying the loops to a smaller size.
Oh yes, something to consider while you are building - or an after the fact change. The NACA duct cockpit vents are very effective. In the summer when you have them open you can actually pressurize the cockpit. I see the canopy sides of the Esqual bow out slightly. So you need to think about some way for the air to flow through the cockpit. I have added two 3" diameter vents in the baggage bulkhead, but two are not enough. I will add two more when I get the time.
As a side note, and just for grins, I offer the following information and calculations: My Esqual easily cruises at 150 mph indicated at low to medium altitude burning less than 5 gallons per hour. At altitude (8 to 10 thousand feet) on a long cross country I can expect to see 170 MPH TAS burning about 5.8 gallons per hour. Therefore, 405 hours at a conservative average speed of 150 mph equals 60,750 miles, or damn near 2.44 times around the world at the equator. Aren't you impressed? However, since it took me 2 years to do that 60,750 miles, my average speed for 2.4 times around the world in two years works out to a speedy 3.467 mph. Way slower than Earl's record run.
Blue Skies and a Merry Christmas to all,
Buz

See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
dashvii(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Two year flight report on 31BZ - long read Reply with quote

Wow, 2 years already Buz? Seems like just yesterday that I was in the hangar conversating with you about why your Esqual did not look like the other Esquals that I had seen/flown. I'd just have to echo the same kinds of things that you said. As we all kind of knew back when I was flying the Lightning, the prop is a limiting factor. It's fine and the plane performs as expected, but a better prop would definately give a higher cruise or same cruise with a decreased fuel burn. The gear leg vibration issue is an easy fix and I have flown some of the kits that seem to have next to no vibration without doing the broomstick fix. Indeed the cabin will pressurize on Esquals and Lightning's alike. I took Rick's airplane out to 200mph and as that speed increases, so does the pressure inside the cabin. Makes your eardrums switch sides. Also, flying in Gregg's plane on the way out to Arizona we had the canopy come unlatched on one side. (different kind of latch than stock, not as effective either!) Greg held the canopy down as much as possible for about 25 minutes. You can physically see the canopy pull up and out when you increase speeds, and if you don't have the rubber seals on you can start to see daylight.

I would recommend to any builders or buyers to get the aluminum spinner.  That thing is a work of art, just beautiful! Also the weight savings and rotational weights of the fixed pitch props over the ground adjustable, in my opinion, make them superior. The only caveat is that the new blade design needs to be finalized for that and then you'll get the rpms, power, and fuel efficiency like you wouldn't believe. I belived that we managed a flight from Shelbyville, TN to Jonesboro, AR (other side of Memphis airspace) in about an hour 15 to 1.5 hours. It takes me 5 hours to drive it. It takes a full tank of gas in my old car at about $40, and took about 8-9 gallons in the Lightning, but the jetting was off when we went. Still, say $4/gallon for fuel and we made out better than in my vehicle! Really missed being in TN, especially this past fall time. Miss getting to fly the Lightning and Jabiru aircraft. Brian W.
Quote:
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 21:55:18 -0500
Subject: Two year flight report on 31BZ - long read
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com

All Lightning (and Esqual) listers,
Just to provide some possible discussion topics and perhaps get some more message traffic flowing, I offer the following information after flying N31BZ for exactly two years. I will cover some engine and some airframe comments, since my Esqual has lots of Lightning mods installed.
I have been flying my highly modified Esqual LS (Lightning Stuff with Jabiru 3300) for exactly two years now (finishing up the 2nd annual today) and I have exactly 405 hours on the engine and airframe. In that 405 hours I have had absolutely no problems with the engine and I run it hard, as many of you know. Only standard maintenance has been required and accomplished. I change oil and filter every 25 to 35 hours, replace the plugs at 100 hours (heck, they are only around $2.00 each so why clean them), accomplish head torques and valve adjustments on schedule, and replaced caps and rotors at 250 hours (I think the book calls for that to be done at 200). Compressions this year varied between 70 and 73 for all 6 cylinders - in fact two were 70, two were 72, and two were 73. Pete says that is right in the ball park for an engine with between 300 to 500 hours.  To say I am pleased with the engine would be an understatement. All of my previous airplanes have been powered with Continentals and Lycomings, but I must say this engine is just as reliable and easy to work on as either of those. In fact the Jabiru 3300 kind of reminds me of the 6 cylinder O-300 Continental the way it is designed and goes together. By the way, I highly recommend the engine seminar at Jabiru USA in Tennessee.
Now some airframe comments:
First off, I still don't have the best prop for the clean airframe that is represented by my airplane and of course all Lightnings. I am currently running a fixed pitch Sensenich 64ZK56 and I can still over speed the engine at 5000 feet by something between 150 to 200 rpm above the max of 3300. At 5,000 feet I am showing something just over 185 mph tas at 3300 rpm with the current prop. Since I live at sea level, I see just over 200 indicated down the runway when holding the engine at 3300. Nick and I have discussed this issue and run many test profiles with different props on 31BZ and on both the prototype and demo Lightnings and we expect to have a better prop sometime early next year - hopefully by Sun-N-Fun. I expect to have a slightly shorter prop (62 inches) but go all the way up to 60 inches in pitch. Also, the blade profile will be more simitar shaped. The goal is not primarily to up the top speed, but instead to up the cruise speed at cruise rpm and lower the fuel burn - great cruise speed with efficiency is really what we are looking for.
I have had no real airframe issues during the past two years. The only thing I plan to change, when I get the time, will be to do some experiments on the main gear legs to try to get rid of the sometime gear leg shimmy. I may go the "broom stick" mod that the RV guys do, but before doing that I want to try an easier fix by using a small "V" angle aluminum strip (say 1/8" thick by 1/2" on the angles, by what ever length the gear leg is) that will be clamped to the trailing edge of the gear leg. All I need is the time. I already have the parts. This shimmy occurs on landing roll out on hard surface as you are slowing down through about 22 mph. It does not happen on grass.  Tire pressure definitely has an effect, with lower pressure being better. I normally air my mains up to 25 PSI and then re-air them when they look low. That low look seems to be about 15 to 18 PSI. I will let you all know the results when I get the time to do the experiments. 
Other than that, the only other thing to mention is that my trim bungees needed to be tightened at about the 1&1/2 year point. They just lost some of their elasticity so I replaced them instead of re-tying the loops to a smaller size.
Oh yes, something to consider while you are building - or an after the fact change. The NACA duct cockpit vents are very effective. In the summer when you have them open you can actually pressurize the cockpit. I see the canopy sides of the Esqual bow out slightly. So you need to think about some way for the air to flow through the cockpit. I have added two 3" diameter vents in the baggage bulkhead, but two are not enough. I will add two more when I get the time.
As a side note, and just for grins, I offer the following information and calculations: My Esqual easily cruises at 150 mph indicated at low to medium altitude burning less than 5 gallons per hour. At altitude (8 to 10 thousand feet) on a long cross country I can expect to see 170 MPH TAS burning about 5.8 gallons per hour. Therefore, 405 hours at a conservative average speed of 150 mph equals 60,750 miles, or damn near 2.44 times around the world at the equator. Aren't you impressed? However, since it took me 2 years to do that 60,750 miles, my average speed for 2.4 times around the world in two years works out to a speedy 3.467 mph. Way slower than Earl's record run.
Blue Skies and a Merry Christmas to all,
Buz

Quote:

blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution
" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
p://forums.matronics.com

The best games are on Xbox 360. Click here for a special offer on an Xbox 360 Console. Get it now!

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

pjdisher(at)bigpond.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Two year flight report on 31BZ - long read Reply with quote

Hi Buz,
Pete Disher here from OZ,
Wonderfull report Buz, your emails over the past 18 months have always given me a lot of confidence in this aircraft.
One point I've been meaning to ask you about is the carburettor, I am considering changing the Bing for a Revflow carb. I believe it has several advantages over the Bing like idle cut off and mixture control and is a far more simple carburettor could this be worth doing ?
Enjoyed meeting you at OSH as brief as it was.
Don't stop reporting
Many thanks,
Pete Disher
OZ

---

N1BZRich(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Two year flight report on 31BZ - long read Reply with quote

In a message dated 12/21/2007 1:29:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, pjdisher(at)bigpond.com writes:
Quote:
I am considering changing the Bing for a Revflow carb.

Hi Pete,
Yes, it was great to meet you at OSH. Will you be there again this summer? I hope so. Bring some more of you "mates" with you this time.
As to the Revflow carb, I really don't know that much about it, but I definitely think all Lightnings (and other go fast airplanes) could benefit from a different carb or throttle body set up that would be more efficient, especially at the higher altitudes. So yes, any experimenting you can do with a different fuel induction set up would be beneficial for all of us. I look forward to hearing about your results. And if anyone else out there reading this had info to add on this subject, please jump in and let us learn from your experiments.
Blue Skies,
Buz Rich

[quote][b]

pjdisher(at)bigpond.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Two year flight report on 31BZ - long read Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments Buz, I will go ahead and fit the Revflow, I will keep the list informed on how it runs .

By the way, your verbal sparring partner downunder, Laurie Hoffman, finaly flew his motor glider up here to see how my Lightning is going. He took me for a fly in his glider , turned the engine off (a perfectly good engine ? Haven't done that before) and landed it from some 10 nm back, dead stick. I don't want to get too used to these tail draggers. Was good to fly realy.

Thanks again, buz

Pete Disher

---

N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Two year flight report on 31BZ - long read Reply with quote

Pete,
Tell Laurie I said hello and ask him if he has anything to do with Hoffman props out of Germany? Many years ago I bought one for a Pitts buddy of mine while I was flying F-4s over there. I also enjoyed soaring many years ago in Arizona. Easy to get diamonds out there due to the fantastic thermals. By the way, ask Laurie if the thermals in Australia work in reverse since you are down under. Inquiring minds want to know. Blue Skies,
Buz

[quote][b]

pjdisher(at)bigpond.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Two year flight report on 31BZ - long read Reply with quote

Buz, Can't find Laurie right now but more importantly, when do you guys sleep up there, I figure you sent this around 0100 or 0200 this morning or are you up practising to catch father christmas.

Merry christmas to you and family,
Pete Disher

--

N1BZRich(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Two year flight report on 31BZ - long read Reply with quote

Hi Pete,
Yes, it was darn neat 1 AM when I sent that. During this Holiday Season I seem to be on DHFC* time. (*Daughter home from college) You know those college kids, up late every night and sleep late every morning. But this is my youngest and she is a senior, so I should get a raise when she graduates in May.
Happy Holidays,
Buz

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: