Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rudder Trim - Spring Bias

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkreidler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Rudder Trim - Spring Bias Reply with quote

I have 'developed' a spring bias rudder trim system for the RV-10. After sharing this idea with Deems he encouraged me to do the same with the rest of the group. So here goes, but before I get into any details let me preface this whole conversation with a few thoughts. This is all in theory, I have absolutely no actual flight testing to back up any of the 'claims', or assumptions. Just good old common sense and a tiny bit of engineering. Our airplane is not in the air yet, I had hoped to get in the air, prove out the system, then share with the world. To prevent anyone else for possibly needlessly cutting into their rudder to add a trim tab, I have decided to bear the scrutiny of an unproven, theoretical system. Please be gentle...

I will attempt to verbalize the system. I used two torsion springs, one mounted / wrapped around, each rudder bar (the bar that connects the rudder pedals). One of the springs is fixed on both ends providing a torsional force on the rudder bar. The other springs free end is hooked to a servo motor that allows approximately 30 degrees deflection. The theory is that the two springs will seek equilibrium (OK, that's not much theory, that's more fact), here is where the testing needs to happen. If I deflect the one springs free arm 30 degrees, will it create enough force to put the airplane in trim. The springs apply about an 8 pound force to the rudder cables (pre-load if you will), assuming they will want to maintain in equilibrium a 30 degree deflection should be more than enough to trim the airplane. The servo will act as sort of a fine tuning mechanism, the course adjustment will be accomplished by winding more or less tension in one spring or the other during flight testing.

I like a few things about this method.
1) It can be installed to any flying airplane with no modifications required other than wiring.
2) There is a chance that this system could be made manual and eliminate the RAC servo if desired.
3) This system provides tension to both rudder cables, no more 'flopping rudder'.
4) Keeps the rudder 'clean'.
5) Doesn't add much extra rudder input force.

I sent pictures of this system to Deems, I will 'attempt' to post some pictures to this forum if there is interest. Comments welcome, I apologize for the extremely long post, but I have added Deems questions below, I figured if he asked, many more will have the same questions....

1. How did you determine which spring type/size/strength to use?
OK, you busted me!! I didn't do the math, I feel extremely guilty about this, as an engineer, I should probably go back and figure the forces here. Here is what I did; since I grew up in the business of garage doors (my Dad owned his own company doing this), I went to Fleet Farm (one of our local supply houses, similar to most lumbar yards) and found a garage door spring that had an ID that would slide over the rudder bar with room to spare, and would fit between the two rudder bars (I will measure this for you). I then cut lengths of the spring until I got what I 'thought' was a reasonable amount of force with two turns of pre-load, and bent some custom ends on them. With torsion springs you have two options to increase the reaction force. You can add turns of pre-load, or you can shorten the spring with the same number of turns. I just went until I reached what I 'felt' was a happy medium. Remember that as you wind a torsion spring more and more the inside diameter decreases, until it eventually binds on the shaft (rudder bar). What mostly drove me not to do the math, was I had absolutely no idea what sort of corrective rudder pressure was required to put the ball in the middle. My plan all along has been to get it in the air and do some experimenting, I installed the system so that modification of the spring force should be simple. I just need to start dating a contortionist Smile

2. I assume that you can 'adjust the torsional load somewhat by moving
the collar/s, Is that true?

Correct, I started out with each spring wound an equal amount. If I find that I need additional trim to one side or the other I will wind one of the springs to compensate. The servo will just provide the 'fine tuning'.

3. One of the pictures shows the center support brace minus the delrin
bushings, I'm assuming that leaving those out is not a requirement of
your approach and was just the result of taking the picture before they
were installed?

Correct, in fact there isn't a single modification to the airframe, if I remove the system no one could ever tell it was installed. I built the mount so that it could be used in either the forward or aft rudder mounting positions, my pedals are mounted in the aft position. But I drilled and prepped the airframe to mount the rudder pedals in either position.

4. What about the mount for the RAC servo, do you have a picture of it
before the servo is mounted.

See attached.... The angle was determined by something, I just don't recall what anymore. I know it has to be at an angle to work though. I can measure if you decide to attempt this.

5. Also it' looks like you used a small section of SS cable to connect
the servo arm to the spring coil, correct? Picture?

Correct, see attached. One end is run through the servo arm, the other gets hooked by the spring. The spring on the pilot side is hooked over the opposite rudder bar.

I gave some thought to your desire to have a manually operated system, I think this system could be done manually with very little pain. You may be able to add a knob that would come out of the sub panel, really anywhere along its length. What would have to happen is a bracket would need to be made that slid over the rudder bar with a nut in it. Then a threaded shaft running from the rudder bar to the sub panel would be used to adjust the free arm of the spring. It may be best if the spring were pushed by the shaft instead of pulled, as this would make the mechanism a bit simpler. I could do a drawing of what I am thinking if you are not following.

While it was not my intention to begin producing kits, if there is enough interest, I could be persuaded to fabricate a few.

Thanks, Jason

Jason Kreidler - 40617 Finishing
(4 Partner Build)
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

N44YH - Flying - #40617
recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Rudder Trim - Spring Bias Reply with quote

When do we get to see some pictures?
--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jkreidler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Rudder Trim - Spring Bias Reply with quote

Enclosed are a few photographs....

Thanks, Jason

(4 Partner Build)

CoPilotSide.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.17 KB
 Viewed:  667 Time(s)

CoPilotSide.JPG

Overview.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.12 KB
 Viewed:  671 Time(s)

Overview.JPG

PilotSide.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.45 KB
 Viewed:  661 Time(s)

PilotSide.JPG

ServoMtg1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.19 KB
 Viewed:  619 Time(s)

ServoMtg1.JPG

N44YH - Flying - #40617
capsteve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Rudder Trim - Spring Bias Reply with quote

Jason, its sounds like a very elegant solution i can't wait to see some pics.

[Steven DiNieri]

rom: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of jason.kreidler(at)regalbeloit.com
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2008 12:55 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RV10-List: Rudder Trim - Spring Bias
[quote]

I have 'developed' a spring bias rudder trim system for the RV-10. After sharing this idea with Deems he encouraged me to do the same with the rest of the group. So here goes, but before I get into any details let me preface this whole conversation with a few thoughts. This is all in theory, I have absolutely no actual flight testing to back up any of the 'claims', or assumptions. Just good old common sense and a tiny bit of engineering. Our airplane is not in the air yet, I had hoped to get in the air, prove out the system, then share with the world. To prevent anyone else for possibly needlessly cutting into their rudder to add a trim tab, I have decided to bear the scrutiny of an unproven, theoretical system. Please be gentle...

I will attempt to verbalize the system. I used two torsion springs, one mounted / wrapped around, each rudder bar (the bar that connects the rudder pedals). One of the springs is fixed on both ends providing a torsional force on the rudder bar. The other springs free end is hooked to a servo motor that allows approximately 30 degrees deflection. The theory is that the two springs will seek equilibrium (OK, that's not much theory, that's more fact), here is where the testing needs to happen. If I deflect the one springs free arm 30 degrees, will it create enough force to put the airplane in trim. The springs apply about an 8 pound force to the rudder cables (pre-load if you will), assuming they will want to maintain in equilibrium a 30 degree deflection should be more than enough to trim the airplane. The servo will act as sort of a fine tuning mechanism, the course adjustment will be accomplished by winding more or less tension in one spring or the other during flight testing.

I like a few things about this method.
1) It can be installed to any flying airplane with no modifications required other than wiring.
2) There is a chance that this system could be made manual and eliminate the RAC servo if desired.
3) This system provides tension to both rudder cables, no more 'flopping rudder'.
4) Keeps the rudder 'clean'.
5) Doesn't add much extra rudder input force.

I sent pictures of this system to Deems, I will 'attempt' to post some pictures to this forum if there is interest. Comments welcome, I apologize for the extremely long post, but I have added Deems questions below, I figured if he asked, many more will have the same questions....
1. How did you determine which spring type/size/strength to use?
OK, you busted me!! I didn't do the math, I feel extremely guilty about this, as an engineer, I should probably go back and figure the forces here. Here is what I did; since I grew up in the business of garage doors (my Dad owned his own company doing this), I went to Fleet Farm (one of our local supply houses, similar to most lumbar yards) and found a garage door spring that had an ID that would slide over the rudder bar with room to spare, and would fit between the two rudder bars (I will measure this for you). I then cut lengths of the spring until I got what I 'thought' was a reasonable amount of force with two turns of pre-load, and bent some custom ends on them. With torsion springs you have two options to increase the reaction force. You can add turns of pre-load, or you can shorten the spring with the same number of turns. I just went until I reached what I 'felt' was a happy medium. Remember that as you wind a torsion spring more and more the inside diameter decreases, until it eventually binds on the shaft (rudder bar). What mostly drove me not to do the math, was I had absolutely no idea what sort of corrective rudder pressure was required to put the ball in the middle. My plan all along has been to get it in the air and do some experimenting, I installed the system so that modification of the spring force should be simple. I just need to start dating a contortionist Smile

2. I assume that you can 'adjust the torsional load somewhat by moving
the collar/s, Is that true?

Correct, I started out with each spring wound an equal amount. If I find that I need additional trim to one side or the other I will wind one of the springs to compensate. The servo will just provide the 'fine tuning'.

3. One of the pictures shows the center support brace minus the delrin
bushings, I'm assuming that leaving those out is not a requirement of
your approach and was just the result of taking the picture before they
were installed?

Correct, in fact there isn't a single modification to the airframe, if I remove the system no one could ever tell it was installed. I built the mount so that it could be used in either the forward or aft rudder mounting positions, my pedals are mounted in the aft position. But I drilled and prepped the airframe to mount the rudder pedals in either position.

4. What about the mount for the RAC servo, do you have a picture of it
before the servo is mounted.

See attached.... The angle was determined by something, I just don't recall what anymore. I know it has to be at an angle to work though. I can measure if you decide to attempt this.

5. Also it' looks like you used a small section of SS cable to connect
the servo arm to the spring coil, correct? Picture?

Correct, see attached. One end is run through the servo arm, the other gets hooked by the spring. The spring on the pilot side is hooked over the opposite rudder bar.

I gave some thought to your desire to have a manually operated system, I think this system could be done manually with very little pain. You may be able to add a knob that would come out of the sub panel, really anywhere along its length. What would have to happen is a bracket would need to be made that slid over the rudder bar with a nut in it. Then a threaded shaft running from the rudder bar to the sub panel would be used to adjust the free arm of the spring. It may be best if the spring were pushed by the shaft instead of pulled, as this would make the mechanism a bit simpler. I could do a drawing of what I am thinking if you are not following.

While it was not my intention to begin producing kits, if there is enough interest, I could be persuaded to fabricate a few.

Thanks, Jason

(4 Partner Build)
Quote:

[b]

carlosh(at)structuralaz.c

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Rudder Trim - Spring Bias Reply with quote

First I must admit I'm building a 7A. Second - you guys are an awesome
resource for ideas! Do any of you repeat offenders know if the rudder
tubes are the same size in the 10 and 7? I like this idea very much and,
with your permission Jason, I'd like to use it if it works.

Carlos in Arizona
(Watching this development with great interest.)

jkreidler wrote:
Quote:

Thanks, Jason

(4 Partner Build)

--------
RV-10 Quick Build
4 Partner Build - Finishing

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=165593#165593

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/copilotside_947.jpg
http://forums.matronics.com//files/overview_610.jpg
http://forums.matronics.com//files/pilotside_821.jpg
http://forums.matronics.com//files/servomtg1_720.jpg

--
Carlos Hernandez <carlosh(at)sec-engr.com>
Structural Engineers Company
2963 W. Elliot Rd. - Suite 3
Chandler, AZ 85224
Phone: 480.968.8600
Fax: 480.968.8608
www.sec-engr.com
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The information in this email may be confidential and/or privileged.
This email is intended to be reviewed by only the individual or
organization named above. If you are not the intended recipient or
an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any review, dissemination or copyingof this email and
its attachments, if any, or the information contained herein is
prohibited. If you havereceived this email in error, please
immediately notify the sender by return email and delete this email
from your system.

rv10builder(at)verizon.ne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Rudder Trim - Spring Bias Reply with quote

Jason;
you mentioned "While it was not my intention to begin producing kits, if there is enough interest, I could be persuaded to fabricate a few. "

I may be interested after hearing how well it works and you feel that the "engineering" is complete.
Thanks!

Pascal

[quote] ---

KiloPapa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Rudder Trim - Spring Bias Reply with quote

Jason,
Thanks for taking the time to share your work on a Rudder
Trim system. I look forward to the pictures. This is one
of the prime attributes of the experimental community.

Kevin
do not archive

----- Original Message Follows -----
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Rudder Trim - Spring Bias
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 11:55:17 -0600

Quote:
I have 'developed' a spring bias rudder trim system for the
RV-10. After sharing this idea with Deems he encouraged
me to do the same with the rest of the group. So here
goes, but before I get into any details let me preface
this whole conversation with a few thoughts. This is all
in theory, I have absolutely no actual flight testing to
back up any of the 'claims', or assumptions. Just good
old common sense and a tiny bit of engineering.

---snipped---

Quote:
While it was not my intention to begin producing kits, if
there is enough interest, I could be persuaded to
fabricate a few.

Thanks, Jason

(4 Partner Build)

do not archive
ricksked(at)embarqmail.co

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Rudder Trim - Spring Bias Reply with quote

Very Cool!!! Like the torsion springs in a garage door....good thinking. But alas...I ain't crawling under that panel one more time.
Rick S.
---

johngoodman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rudder Trim - Spring Bias Reply with quote

Jason,
I love it! Simple, clean, and easy to install or remove. You've sold me on it. If you decide to make a few, sign me up.
John

jkreidler wrote:

Thanks, Jason

(4 Partner Build)

#40572 Phase One complete in 2011
bob.kaufmann(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Rudder Trim - Spring Bias Reply with quote

Somehow I seem to not have the pictures, where can I see them.

Bob K

--

jkreidler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rudder Trim - Spring Bias Reply with quote

All, thanks for the encouraging comments both on-line and off. I really didn't expect this sort of interest. With that being said, I would really like to find a willing participant to test this on a flying RV-10. We are several months away from our fist flight, I don't think everyone has that sort of time available. If anyone would be interested in helping out with this sort of testing please let me know.

I am really surprised at the number of people who expressed interest in installing a kit (once the system is working). I have decided to create a kit of parts once the concept is reality.

As far as using this kit on an RV-7, I have a friend building a 7 not far from where I live, I will stop by his house and measure it all up and see if it will work.

If you are still unable to view the pictures please send me an e-mail, I would be happy to e-mail copies.

Thanks again everyone!!

Jason - 40617 Finishing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: