Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attaching rudder springs for TD 601XL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a.s.elliott(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Attaching rudder springs for TD 601XL? Reply with quote

For you other XL taildragger builders out there, I need to install the rudder return springs and was wondering how various people attached them to the inboard pedals. (The firewall end is straightforward, I think.)

I have thought of tapping into the side of the pedal for an 8-32 screw, and using some kind of band clamp. I do not want to do any welding at this stage.

Ideas or Suggestions?

Andy Elliott, Mesa, AZ
N601GE (reserved)
601XL/TD, Corvair?, building...
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
pilotdna(at)HOTMAIL.COM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Attaching rudder springs for TD 601XL? Reply with quote

Dr. Elliott,
My plans don't specify any attach method for springs (or any other type of pedal return), but it would be flight proven just to mimic the way the nose gear steering pushrods attach to the pedals on a tri-gear. I don't have my plans handy, but I believe they use a 3/16 bolt and locknut through the upright tube portion of the rudder pedal. If the bolt is going to rotate freely for your spring attach method, it should have a castle nut and cotter key. A thru-bolt and nut would be a better idea than a screw in a tapped hole.

Another neat option for keeping the pedal from flopping is this balance bar (picture attached) that another TD builder came up with. I saved the picture off a website for future reference and don't remember who the builder was (owner of photo: feel free to identify yourself and claim your elegant solution!).

do not archive
Douglas Eatman
601XL TD Vair

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rudder_pedal_balance.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  169.12 KB
 Viewed:  239 Time(s)

rudder_pedal_balance.jpg

billsewell(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Attaching rudder springs for TD 601XL? Reply with quote

Looks like a picture from my site. Here are some more: http://n601bz.com/ch601xl/Fuselage/Control_Cables/043005.htm

Bill Sewell
N601BZ

On 2/27/08, Doug Eatman <pilotdna(at)hotmail.com (pilotdna(at)hotmail.com)> wrote: [quote]
Dr. Elliott,
My plans don't specify any attach method for springs (or any other type of pedal return), but it would be flight proven just to mimic the way the nose gear steering pushrods attach to the pedals on a tri-gear. I don't have my plans handy, but I believe they use a 3/16 bolt and locknut through the upright tube portion of the rudder pedal. If the bolt is going to rotate freely for your spring attach method, it should have a castle nut and cotter key. A thru-bolt and nut would be a better idea than a screw in a tapped hole.

Another neat option for keeping the pedal from flopping is this balance bar (picture attached) that another TD builder came up with. I saved the picture off a website for future reference and don't remember who the builder was (owner of photo: feel free to identify yourself and claim your elegant solution!).

do not archive
Douglas Eatman
601XL TD Vair

[b]

craig(at)craigandjean.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Attaching rudder springs for TD 601XL? Reply with quote

The V block on the nose gear (and maybe the two-spring approach for a TD) would self-center. I don’t think the balance bar would do that. Is that true and is it a real issue?

-- Craig

From: owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Bill Sewell
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2008 6:38 AM
To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: RE: Attaching rudder springs for TD 601XL?

Looks like a picture from my site. Here are some more: http://n601bz.com/ch601xl/Fuselage/Control_Cables/043005.htm

Bill Sewell

N601BZ

On 2/27/08, Doug Eatman <pilotdna(at)hotmail.com (pilotdna(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:

Dr. Elliott,

do not archive
Douglas Eatman
601XL TD Vair

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

billsewell(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Attaching rudder springs for TD 601XL? Reply with quote

In flight the air flow over the rudder tends to center the pedals, on the ground keeping the airplane going in a streight line tends to keep them centered (assuming of course that everything is correctly aligned).

Bill Sewell
N601BZ

On 2/28/08, Craig Payne <craig(at)craigandjean.com (craig(at)craigandjean.com)> wrote: [quote]
The V block on the nose gear (and maybe the two-spring approach for a TD) would self-center. I don't think the balance bar would do that. Is that true and is it a real issue?

-- Craig

From: owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Bill Sewell
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2008 6:38 AM
To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com (zenith-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: RE: Attaching rudder springs for TD 601XL?

Bill Sewell

N601BZ

On 2/27/08, Doug Eatman <pilotdna(at)hotmail.com (pilotdna(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:

Dr. Elliott,

do not archive
Douglas Eatman
601XL TD Vair

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: