Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FireStar Cockpit Noise Reduction?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The BaronVonEvil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: FireStar Cockpit Noise Reduction? Reply with quote

Hi All,

This subject may have been flogged to death already but I am to a point that if I cant get the noise level in my Firestar II down to a dull roar I will have to sell it.

I have measured the inflight cockpit noise during take-off and get about 117db on a Radio Shack Db meter. ( Not the Highest tech device but at least it gives a starting point.)

What can a person do to reduce the noise level? (besides glide...) Even at moderate power settings the noise is still around 115 db or so.

I wear a helmet with a set of David-Clarks that has the Gel ear pads but for others to hear my radio transmissions, I have to reduce power to less than 3500rpm to be heard. I have my radio volume cranked up as high as it will go just to hear other pilots. It can't be doing my hearing very much good.

Help!

Carlos G. Crying or Very sad

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: FireStar Cockpit Noise Reduction? Reply with quote

Our good friend Carlos,

Your excessive noise problem is very likely something that can greatly improved in a couple of ways.

First, I HIGHLY recommend getting a set of "ACTIVE" noise-cancelling headphones. I emphasized "active" because that is the term used to describe the electronic noise cancelling system. They have the "passive" style, but that isn't what you're after.

You can either buy the incredibly expensive Bose, Lightspeed, David Clarks, etc., or convert your existing David Clarks.
Here is a link to an outfit that makes an active noise cancelling module for most headset companies.

http://www.headsetsinc.com/customer_reviews.htm

For less than $200 you can modify your present headset, and have the performance that meets or exceeds the models that cost a small fortune.

A little background on the active style of noise reduction: Sound is one of the many waves along the electromagnetic wavelength spectrum. Sound is a little different from the other examples, like light, x-rays, UV rays, etc, because sound requires air to help transmit this energy from molecule to molecule, and so on.
Sound comes to you by way of a sinewave. There are crests and troughs, as seen in this link;

http://science.hq.nasa.gov/kids/imagers/ems/waves3.html

Now, here is the really amazing and cool part. In a sense, and due to the nature of the sinewave, you are listening to either a high crest or a low trough at any given time, and according to the frequency of the sound wave coming at you. What the electronic headsets do is record the sound coming to it, and play it back virtually instaneously, where it is EXACTLY opposite of the crest and trough. In other words, if you were able to look at this new sound wave coming at you, you would see the original sinewave, and now a NEW soundwave opposite from the original (essentially a mirror image). There would be a crest...and an anti-crest, at the same time, and a trough and an anti-trough, etc. So what you are now hearing is...sound, and anti-sound, at the same moment.

This added feature of "anti-sound" can and does counter-act the "sound", so that you are left with silence. For the airplane headset company, their mission is to reduce as much "bad" noise as possible, allowing you to hear only the deliberate sound from your ear speakers, and virtually all other outside noises cancelled...literally! It is possible to be in a noisy room and hear nothing. Not because the sound is muffled, but because the noise is counteracted by anti-noise, the result of which is silence. Of course, for something as small as a pair of headphones, you can't achieve such performance, but you can come close.

BTW, this same exact concept of cancelling out wavelengths in the electromagnetic spectrum is shown by way of "photo-gray lenses" You've all seen the pair of glasses that the lenses get dark once they are exposed to direct sunlight, right? This phenomenon happens because the lenses have microscopic lines cut into the lenses.
As sunlight (a very specific wavelength) passes through the lense some of the light is captured and refracted by the microscopic grooves. This shift is just enough to divert the light and cause it to interact with the unobstructed light. So, again, you have light wavelengths passing through the lense, and being counteracted
with "opposite" lightwaves (on the electromagnetic spectrum). The result: no light (or reduced light). Essentially the light is cancelled by the anti-light, and the lense becomes dark.

Of couse, photo gray lenses objective is only to reduce light, not eliminate it, so they place the microscopic grooves at such intervals as to only partially block some the light passing through, thereby making them "sunglasses". Walk back into the house, and the effect goes away, because in-door light wavelengths aren't the wavelengths that these grooves are affected by.

Secondly, you may want to put an additional small muffler on your plane, or build a new system altogether. I bought a small glass pack muffler for my custom turbo installation. The muffler was still a little heavier than I wanted, so I cut it in half. I'm sure you could do a LOT in quietening down the exhaust noise.
I don't know how your plane is configured, but you may consider installing a sound deadening material. I purchased a roll of this stuff for my GlaStar, to be placed against the firewall. I got it at JC Whitney, just look up "sound deadening".

I am very confident these things will make a world of difference to your flying pleasure. I especially believe you will find the most improvement with the noise cancelling headset, followed by the quieter muffler improvements.

I look forward to your progress reports.

Mike Welch
Kolb MkIII

PS. One of the main reasons I chose to use the GEO engine on my MkIII was it's incredibly low engine noise. Plus, now that I have decided to use a turbo, I would be willing to bet that this will be one of the quietest MkIII's around.

Quote:
I have measured the inflight cockpit noise during take-off and get about 117db on a Radio Shack Db meter. ( Not the Highest tech device but at least it gives a starting point.)

What can a person do to reduce the noise level? (besides glide...) Even at moderate power settings the noise is still around 115 db or so.

Help!

Carlos G. [Crying or Very sad]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: FireStar Cockpit Noise Reduction? Reply with quote

> I wear a helmet with a set of David-Clarks that has the Gel ear pads but
for others to hear my radio transmissions, I have to reduce power to less
than 3500rpm to be heard. I have my radio volume cranked up as high as it
will go just to hear other pilots. It can't be doing my hearing very much
good.
Quote:

Help!

Carlos:

I had to graduate from David Clarks with gel ear seals to an ANR headset.

I have lived in a high noise environment most of my life. During my
military career hearing protection was unheard of. My hearing has become so
poor I had to graduate from passive noise reduction headsets.

With the ANR I can hear and transmit quite well. Without the ANR my ability
to hear and comprehend is nearly zero.

I fly with a DRE6000 headset that works great. Unfortunately, this company
was in business for a short time and is now belly up.

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: FireStar Cockpit Noise Reduction? Reply with quote

> Mike Welch
Quote:
Kolb MkIII

PS. One of the main reasons I chose to use the GEO engine on my MkIII was
it's incredibly low engine noise. Plus, now that I have decided to use a
turbo, I would be willing to bet that this will be one of the quietest
MkIII's around.

Mike W:

Once you start flying your mkIII you will probably discover the major noise
producing item is the prop.

By producing a very quiet engine, you will be able to hear your prop better.
Wink

john h

Titus, Alabama
johnjoyes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: FireStar Cockpit Noise Reduction? Reply with quote

Forget all those suggestions of (expensive) Active Noise Reduction headsets. Sure they will help, but nowhere near as good as a pair of good in-ear noise-reduction headphones like the Shure E2C, which will cost you a tenth as much. Just pop your ordinary headset over the top, for even more noise reduction and of course to hold the microphone.
I nearly gave up learning to fly because I suffered tinitus for a week after every flight, even in a "quiet" aeroplane. Now I fly my noisy Kolb in comfort, with the knowledge that I have less noise in my ears than even the most expensive Sennheiser set.

NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: FireStar Cockpit Noise Reduction? Reply with quote

Carlos

There are a number of things you can do. Cut the noise at the source or keep
it away from you.

To cut the noise at the source you can add mufflers, intake silencers and
cut prop tip speeds. To cut prop noise you can shorten your prop or get a
larger reduction ratio for your redrive. Most of these things will reduce
your performance. Changing reduction ratios with any prop changes will be
expensive. Find out where the noise is coming from first. With my direct
drive VW I added a muffler and then found it was the prop that made the
noise.

To keep the noise away get a active noise reduction headset with a good
noise canceling mike. I have the noise canceling kit in my Sigtronics
headset and it helps a bunch. To get a additional level of reduction I also
use a set of Sony MDR-EX51PP headphones under my active noise canceling
headset. They are cheap and help a bunch. There are many others that are
good and may work better. Seems like someone even found a inexpensive active
noise canceling set. My set up works so well that I can listen to music at a
low level with a DRE intercom cutting the music for communication and still
no ringing in the ears afterwards.

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIC

---

WillUribe(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: FireStar Cockpit Noise Reduction? Reply with quote

Hi Carlos,
115 dB(A) is about right for my FireStar and I have an intake silencer plus the exhaust silencer.

Other pilots would tell me when they heard me over the radio there was too much noise picked up by my David Clarks. The ANR works great but I found the ANR annoying to the point that on long flights it was better when I turned it off.

I changed to Comtronic headsets and put the mic touching my lips, now the other pilots can hear me much better. I use Classic Foamy ear plus so I can raise the volume up and not worrying about hearing loss. The ear plus also protect me from the noise that leaks into my headsets via the sunglasses frame temples.

When flying the Piper Colt I use Lightspeed QFR Soloc with the cell phone patch cord. The cell phone doesn't work unless the headsets are hooked into an intercom so I haven't tried them in my FireStar.

When flying in Thom Riddle's Allegro 2000 912UL we averaged about 100 dB(A) for the durations of the flight.

Regards,
Will Uribe
El Paso, TX
FireStar II N4GU
http://www.members.aol.com/willuribe/mv/
do not archive

--

268.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.91 KB
 Viewed:  564 Time(s)

268.jpg

WillUribe(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: FireStar Cockpit Noise Reduction? Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant ear plugs not ear plus. My right hand types faster them my left.
[/url]

In a message dated 2/28/2008 9:14:21 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
WillUribe(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
I use Classic Foamy ear plus so I can raise the volume up and not worrying about hearing loss. The ear plus also protect me from the noise that leaks into my headsets via the sunglasses frame temples.

do not archive

Delicious ideas to please the pickiest eaters. [url=http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-campos-duffy/2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598]Watch the video on AOL Living.
[quote][b]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: FireStar Cockpit Noise Reduction? Reply with quote

Will,

Thanks for clearing that typo up. I kept doing a Google search, and all I could could with is pictures of Dumbo.
he he he

Mike Welch

Do not archive

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:58:56 -0500
Subject: RE: FireStar Cockpit Noise Reduction?
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com

Sorry, I meant ear plugs not ear plus. My right hand types faster them my left.

In a message dated 2/28/2008 9:14:21 A.M. Mountain Standard Time, WillUribe(at)aol.com writes:

I use Classic Foamy ear plus so I can raise the volume up and not worrying about hearing loss. The ear plus also protect me from the noise that leaks into my headsets via the sunglasses frame temples.

do not archive

Delicious ideas to please the pickiest eaters. Watch the video on AOL Living.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: FireStar Cockpit Noise Reduction? Reply with quote

Quote:
Mike W:

Once you start flying your mkIII you will probably discover the major noise
producing item is the prop.

By producing a very quiet engine, you will be able to hear your prop better.
Wink

john h

Ah, John,

With very little MkIII flying time (read that to be "none"), I wouldn't know that the prop makes that much noise. But I really do believe I should have a very quiet engine, and I figured if the prop was a problem, then I would just install VGs on it.

chuckling

Mike Welch

jb92563

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: FireStar Cockpit Noise Reduction? Reply with quote

For transmitting I have recently seen some throat microphones that basically rest on your neck and pick up your voice through direct skin contact, and muffle some of the other external noises.

ANR Headphones are great as well.

Muffler is a good idea if that is where your noise is coming from, as many times its the prop that is actually creating the most noise.

Prop noise occurs as the tips approach the speed of sound.

If they are spinning to fast you need higher pitch and less diameter to reduce noise.

Do a google search on "propeller tip speed" and you will find calculators to input your diameter and rpm to determine if your tips are going to fast.

Should be under 600 mph tip speed to reduce noise from the prop.

There are also props with special tips that keep the noise down.

I think "Prince Props" is one company that sells them.

Also check the condition of your prop....any loose protective coverings/tapes, flaking paint or other imperfections will add to the noise considerably.

Kolb UltraStar (Cuyuna UL-202)
Moni MotorGlider
Schreder HP-11 Glider
Grob 109 Motorglider

Do Not Archive
Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: FireStar Cockpit Noise Reduction? Reply with quote

<< I cant get the noise level in my Firestar II down to a dull roar I
will have to sell it. >>

Carlos -

I had the same problem in my Mark-III. It was almost impossible to hear
my radio, even with a well-fitting Comtronics helmet with built-in gel
earseal headsets.

The single most effective thing you can do is get yourself a set of ANR
(Active Noise Reduction) headsets. MAN, what a difference they made for
me!

I bought the least-expensive set I could find on the market - LightSPEED
QXC. The cost me about $275. Worth every penny. Sure, there are more
expensive sets on the market, and they may perform better. But just
making the step up to any ANR headset (even an entry-level one) is an
order of magnitude better than any passive set you can buy.

Dennis Kirby
Mark-III Classic, 912ul
Cedar Crest, NM

John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: FireStar Cockpit Noise Reduction? Reply with quote

---

Titus, Alabama
John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: FireStar Cockpit Noise Reduction? Reply with quote

Quote:

Should be under 600 mph tip speed to reduce noise from the prop.

--------
Ray

Hi Ray:

We've knocked this noise thing around quite a bit over the years. I'd say
it it more prop noise than anything else. Also, I think we can discount
prop tips approaching or exceeding supersonic speeds. The Rotax engines
have already taken that into consideration for us.

I believe most of our noise is the result of a pusher engine configuration
with a prop that must run through air that is not always clean and in close
proximity to the aircraft structure.

I have gotten down to the point where I accept my noisy airplane and try to
take other routes to help make it liveable for long flights. Some of us
have proven that it is not so excessive we can not live in our airplanes for
very long periods of time.

john h
mkIII Noisy beyond imagination.

Titus, Alabama
John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: FireStar Cockpit Noise Reduction? Reply with quote

> The single most effective thing you can do is get yourself a set of ANR
Quote:
(Active Noise Reduction) headsets. MAN, what a difference they made for
me!
>

Quote:
Dennis Kirby

Dennis:

Got your bag packed for MV?

I tried the best Litespeed had to offer when they first came out without
success. Then, last summer, I bought the best that David Clark had to offer
the XL somethings. Neither would work in the mkIII cockpit.

The set that worked best for me was the DRE6000, which unfortunately, is out
of business. Got my fingers crossed my old set will keep on trucking.

john h
mkIII Bag packed for MV 2008.

Titus, Alabama
agustafson(at)chartermi.n

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: FireStar Cockpit Noise Reduction? Reply with quote

I noticed on my FS2 when I changed from the Culver wood prop to an IVO and
had to add the 3" extension that the noise went down considerably and I
think only slightly because of the prop. Before I could not keep the gap
seal in place (would shred) near the prop but getting the prop away from the
TE nearly solved that problem and was where the most of the noise was coming
from I think. Ear plugs and a helmet, it never bothered me, but no radio
installed.

Aaron G.

John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: FireStar Cockpit Noise Reduction? Reply with quote

Quote:

Sorry Folks:

Looks like I fired a blank.

The real one will follow shortly.

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
lcottrell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: FireStar Cockpit Noise Reduction? Reply with quote

I only want to add a couple of things about the noise in a Kolb. A prop
extension will help a lot, all mikes on anr type headsets are directional.
This is where anyone has trouble hearing you transmit. Put the mike on the
other side and see if that helps.
Larry C

captainron1(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: FireStar Cockpit Noise Reduction? Reply with quote

Get one of their mods ASAP.

http://www.headsetsinc.com/

==============================================
---- The BaronVonEvil <grageda(at)innw.net> wrote:

=============

Hi All,

This subject may have been flogged to death already but I am to a point that if I cant get the noise level in my Firestar II down to a dull roar I will have to sell it.

I wear a helmet with a set of David-Clarks that has the Gel ear pads but for others to hear my radio transmissions, I have to reduce power to less than 3500rpm to be heard. I have my radio volume cranked up as high as it will go just to hear other pilots. It can't be doing my hearing very much good.

Help!

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=166684#166684

--
kugelair.com

captainron1(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: FireStar Cockpit Noise Reduction? Reply with quote

Do you have a link to the optical cancellation you mentioned. I have not heard of it before.

=========================
---- Mike Welch <mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

=============

Our good friend Carlos,

Your excessive noise problem is very likely something that can greatly improved in a couple of ways.

First, I HIGHLY recommend getting a set of "ACTIVE" noise-cancelling headphones. I emphasized "active" because that is the term used to describe the electronic noise cancelling system. They have the "passive" style, but that isn't what you're after.

You can either buy the incredibly expensive Bose, Lightspeed, David Clarks, etc., or convert your existing David Clarks.
Here is a link to an outfit that makes an active noise cancelling module for most headset companies.

http://www.headsetsinc.com/customer_reviews.htm

For less than $200 you can modify your present headset, and have the performance that meets or exceeds the models that cost a small fortune.

A little background on the active style of noise reduction: Sound is one of the many waves along the electromagnetic wavelength spectrum. Sound is a little different from the other examples, like light, x-rays, UV rays, etc, because sound requires air to help transmit this energy from molecule to molecule, and so on.
Sound comes to you by way of a sinewave. There are crests and troughs, as seen in this link;

http://science.hq.nasa.gov/kids/imagers/ems/waves3.html

Now, here is the really amazing and cool part. In a sense, and due to the nature of the sinewave, you are listening to either a high crest or a low trough at any given time, and according to the frequency of the sound wave coming at you. What the electronic headsets do is record the sound coming to it, and play it back virtually instaneously, where it is EXACTLY opposite of the crest and trough. In other words, if you were able to look at this new sound wave coming at you, you would see the original sinewave, and now a NEW soundwave opposite from the original (essentially a mirror image). There would be a crest...and an anti-crest, at the same time, and a trough and an anti-trough, etc. So what you are now hearing is...sound, and anti-sound, at the same moment.

This added feature of "anti-sound" can and does counter-act the "sound", so that you are left with silence. For the airplane headset company, their mission is to reduce as much "bad" noise as possible, allowing you to hear only the deliberate sound from your ear speakers, and virtually all other outside noises cancelled...literally! It is possible to be in a noisy room and hear nothing. Not because the sound is muffled, but because the noise is counteracted by anti-noise, the result of which is silence. Of course, for something as small as a pair of headphones, you can't achieve such performance, but you can come close.

BTW, this same exact concept of cancelling out wavelengths in the electromagnetic spectrum is shown by way of "photo-gray lenses" You've all seen the pair of glasses that the lenses get dark once they are exposed to direct sunlight, right? This phenomenon happens because the lenses have microscopic lines cut into the lenses.
As sunlight (a very specific wavelength) passes through the lense some of the light is captured and refracted by the microscopic grooves. This shift is just enough to divert the light and cause it to interact with the unobstructed light. So, again, you have light wavelengths passing through the lense, and being counteracted
with "opposite" lightwaves (on the electromagnetic spectrum). The result: no light (or reduced light). Essentially the light is cancelled by the anti-light, and the lense becomes dark.

Of couse, photo gray lenses objective is only to reduce light, not eliminate it, so they place the microscopic grooves at such intervals as to only partially block some the light passing through, thereby making them "sunglasses". Walk back into the house, and the effect goes away, because in-door light wavelengths aren't the wavelengths that these grooves are affected by.

Secondly, you may want to put an additional small muffler on your plane, or build a new system altogether. I bought a small glass pack muffler for my custom turbo installation. The muffler was still a little heavier than I wanted, so I cut it in half. I'm sure you could do a LOT in quietening down the exhaust noise.
I don't know how your plane is configured, but you may consider installing a sound deadening material. I purchased a roll of this stuff for my GlaStar, to be placed against the firewall. I got it at JC Whitney, just look up "sound deadening".

I am very confident these things will make a world of difference to your flying pleasure. I especially believe you will find the most improvement with the noise cancelling headset, followed by the quieter muffler improvements.

I look forward to your progress reports.

Mike Welch
Kolb MkIII

PS. One of the main reasons I chose to use the GEO engine on my MkIII was it's incredibly low engine noise. Plus, now that I have decided to use a turbo, I would be willing to bet that this will be one of the quietest MkIII's around.

Quote:

Help!

--
kugelair.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: