Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wheel pants mounting method

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Wheel pants mounting method Reply with quote

Kolb group,

For those that are interested, here is the design for mounting wheel pants. I did up a color display,
to differentiate the various parts.

1) For the outside mount, (on the axle) all I had was the OEM axle nut from Kolb. You have to weld an extra nut to it, about 1 1/4" inches away. I lucked out on my guess. I'll take a photo of what I did, next time I pull off the wheel pants.
On the wheel pant outside hole, I took 2 fenderwashers, vise gripped them together, drilled and riveted them together. This created one incredibly solid "hardpoint" for the bolt to go through. To be honest, I think one washed
on the inside could have been okay. You would want to use twice as many rivets, instead of the 4 I used for the double washer method. You would use 8 flush rivets. I think that that would be fine. I have a tendency to "overkill". I build things to not come apart, except with a sledge hammer!!

2. The blue shape obviously refers to the side of the wheel pant that faces the centline of the plane. Be sure to use flush rivets when mounting the 8 nutplates.

3. The purple cut-out is Aluminum sheet, approx. .032". It is about 1" larger than the opening in the wheel pant. It serves to securely mount the 8 nut plates.
Be sure to drill ALL 3 surfaces together at one time (the inner piece, the wheel pant opening, and the outer mounting plate, with the 3/16" holes for the nut plates.) Only the wheel pant and inner support get the 3/32" flush rivet holes, for the nutplates.)

4. The pink cut-out represents the outside mounting plate. The UPPER 8 Holes are only holes. This is the location
where you secure this plate to the wheel pant with screws. The LOWER 4 Holes get nutplates(with flush rivets) to allow the steel tab to fasten to this plate. (These may go on last.)
You may notice in the photo I used two layers on the outside mounting plate. Not knowing exactly how stiff the plate should be, I ended up having to add an extra layer. If you use .090 aluminum you should be okay.

5. The yellow rectangle represents a steel plate. This is what gets welded to your axle fitting, gear leg, whatever. You will want this to be as wide as possible. This will be the true strength of the mounting system. The wider the steel tab, the less ability for the wheel pant to be able to try to rotate. This is what gets welded to your axle fitting, gear leg, whatever.
It gets 4 matching holes, that line up with the corresponding nutplates in the lower portion of the exterior mounting plate. Note: Do NOT tack the steel tab in place until last!!! Once everything is adjust, mounted drilled, set into position, etc., then you can tack this steel plate into place. Be sure to check for all clearances, too. Make sure you have the tilt you want, and of course, also make sure they both point in the same direction....straight ahead!

One more note: When securing the outside mounting plate to the steel tab, prior to welding the tab, use clecos. These will be okay until you've fully welded the tab to the axle fitting. This way you can quickly remove the assembly, after the tabs are done. If everything still lines up good, then you can mount those 4 nut plates to the inner surface of the ext mounting plate.

Lastly, when they're all finished, go back in the archives and get those fiberglassing pointers. This would be the absolute easiest thing in the world to add brake caliper covers to. Super easy to do, and a great beginner "glassing" job. If you felt REALLY creative, you could make a brake caliper cover/axle fairing for the axle area.
Make it a two piece, top half bottom half.

Mike Welch
MkIII

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

wheel_pants_mounting_design_005.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.52 KB
 Viewed:  256 Time(s)

wheel_pants_mounting_design_005.jpg

wheel_pant_mounting_order.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.78 KB
 Viewed:  228 Time(s)

wheel_pant_mounting_order.jpg

wheel_pants_mounting_design_001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.03 KB
 Viewed:  247 Time(s)

wheel_pants_mounting_design_001.jpg

planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel pants mounting method Reply with quote

From the looks of the finished product , looks like you were in a hurry...

Gotta Fly...
Mike & "Jaz" in MN

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Wheel pants mounting method Reply with quote

Quote:
>From the looks of the finished product , looks like you were in a hurry...

Gotta Fly...
Mike & "Jaz" in MN

Yes, I know they do look a little rough. The truth is they aren't completely finished being dressed up quite yet.
There is some improvement to go.

When they truely are finished, they will look more "clean".

Mike W

Do not archive
Pack up or back up–use SkyDrive to transfer files or keep extra copies. Learn how. [quote][b]

planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel pants mounting method Reply with quote

That's good to hear,

Sometimes it can be a pain in the butt if you get too many
things that need to be re-done...

Gotta Fly...
Mike & "Jaz" in MN, warming up to rain....
http://wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11276

NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Wheel pants mounting method Reply with quote

Mike

Thanks for the information. You got a great price on the pants also.

Build the plane the way YOU want it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. More than one builder got so hung up with mods and beauty they never got the plane flying.

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIC
[quote] ---

planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel pants mounting method Reply with quote

Whatever Rick....

I wasn't being mean....Just pointing it out...

KMA

planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel pants mounting method Reply with quote

Hey Big Lar,
Looks like that was a "poke" at you...

Sell Vamoose yet ?

Gotta Fly...
Mike & "Jaz" in MN

Quote:

="NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net"]Mike

Build the plane the way YOU want it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. More than one builder got so hung up with mods and beauty they never got the plane flying.

Rick Neilsen

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Wheel pants mounting method Reply with quote

Rick, I agree.  As soon as I figured the durn thing would get me off the ground I went for it.-maybe a little TOO early as I bent one leg before the carb was dialed in correctly.
The thrill I got out of the ride was worth it.  Such luxuries as doors, oil cooler,etc.
came later.  Still a work in progress but when I bolt on the wings this spring it will be ready to go again.
BB
do not archive
On 6, Apr 2008, at 2:53 PM, Richard & Martha Neilsen wrote:
[quote]Mike

Thanks for the information. You got a great price on the pants also.

Rick Neilsen
[quote]---

NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Wheel pants mounting method Reply with quote

Mike

I wasn't trying to talk about anyone. I really tried to be as tactful as I
could in a ugly situation.

But now that you mentioned it you WERE mean and very rude. Mike W was being
kind and went to a lot of effort to share alot of good information when you
blasted him. Please play nice.

Rick Neilsen

---

NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Wheel pants mounting method Reply with quote

Sorry Guys

I didn't take my own advice and take it off list. Also didn't "do not
archive"

Please do not archive

Rick Neilsen

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: