Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Check Ride

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LHusky(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Check Ride Reply with quote

Well, I have my Private Pilot check ride on the 30th at 9 AM. I currently have 63 hours in and I am nervous. Any words of wisdom will be appreciated. I am concentrating on hood work and short field landings. I have VOR down enough to pass. After that, I probably will never see one again. I work graveyard in law enforcement and I have done a shift trade so that I will have a good nights sleep before the check ride. How do you get your nerves down before the big day! I do plan to show up a couple of hours early and going out for a couple of take off and landings, so that I might calm down a little. Has anyone done this? Is it recommended? I will be taking my check ride in a 1978 172N. I have flown this plane my whole time training.

Larry Husky
N667H (Reserved)

Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
freonmen(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Check Ride Reply with quote

Ha Larry,Be happy,don't worry you'ell do fine, They are only looking out for you and the safty of ,if U can control the air plane U will do fine.POB PS it wasn't that longago that I was doing the same thing.
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Michael Valentine

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Check Ride Reply with quote

My only words of wisdom are, just listen to the examiner and make a conscious note of what he is asking.

I took my check ride just after my 18th b-day. A couple days before I was taking a para-gliding class that was my graduation present and sprained my ankle something fierce on a bad landing. I ended up in the ER that night and then taking my checkride (fairly far from home and difficult to reschedule) with a big soft boot on my foot. But hey, they let me do it - who needs rudder in a 172 anyway. The one mistake I remember is that the examiner said turn to XXX heading. I started turning that way in a nice standard-rate turn. At some point I realized I had absolutely no idea what heading he had asked for. About that time he asked where I was going. I was at about 135 turning left so I just said 130??? He corrected my heading and let it go. I really don't remember anything else.

Above all, have fun and good luck.

Michael in NH

do not archive

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 8:14 PM, <LHusky(at)aol.com (LHusky(at)aol.com)> wrote:
[quote] Well, I have my Private Pilot check ride on the 30th at 9 AM. I currently have 63 hours in and I am nervous. Any words of wisdom will be appreciated. I am concentrating on hood work and short field landings. I have VOR down enough to pass. After that, I probably will never see one again. I work graveyard in law enforcement and I have done a shift trade so that I will have a good nights sleep before the check ride. How do you get your nerves down before the big day! I do plan to show up a couple of hours early and going out for a couple of take off and landings, so that I might calm down a little. Has anyone done this? Is it recommended? I will be taking my check ride in a 1978 172N. I have flown this plane my whole time training.

Larry Husky
N667H (Reserved)

Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food.
Quote:

[b]

Bryan Ekholm

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Check Ride Reply with quote

Most likely you will have an oral questioning period with your examiner before you go flying. Be prepared for that. I had to have a cross-country trip of so many nautical miles (I don't recall how far) planned out as well. Arriving early is a good plan. I intended to arrive early when I took my check-ride, but ended up being late because another student arrived back late with the airplane and left me with no fuel. Then I had to fly to another airport to meet the examiner as well. Make sure your chart is current. You'll do fine.

Bryan Ekholm

larry(at)macsmachine.com

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Check Ride Reply with quote

Relax Larry,
The check ride is not intended to be hard, but prove that you can do
only what is asked with some competence. I'm sure you'll do fine.
Listen to the examiner and
do the best you can and you'll pass the "test" easily. Anticipation is
always takes more than the energy needed to succeed.

Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com
do not archive

LHusky(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:
*Well, I have my Private Pilot check ride on the 30th at 9 AM. I
currently have 63 hours in and I am nervous. Any words of wisdom will
be appreciated. I am concentrating on hood work and short field
landings. I have VOR down enough to pass. After that, I probably
will never see one again. I work graveyard in law enforcement and I
have done a shift trade so that I will have a good nights sleep before
the check ride. How do you get your nerves down before the big day!
I do plan to show up a couple of hours early and going out for a
couple of take off and landings, so that I might calm down a little.
Has anyone done this? Is it recommended? I will be taking my check
ride in a 1978 172N. I have flown this plane my whole time training. *

Larry Husky
N667H (Reserved)

Tim Juhl

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Check Ride Reply with quote

Larry,
First of all, congrats on your accomplishment, I'm sure you'll do fine. That said, here are a few points to remember:

1.) Your instructor wouldn't sign you off if you weren't ready.
2.) The examiner is not looking for an excuse to fail you... he/she wants you to succeed.
3.) Make sure the aircraft paperwork is correct (and in the plane) and that your paperwork is complete. You'd be surprised how often this is a problem. You don't want to be undone by something that stupid, and no, photocopies of documents are not acceptable.
4.) If you do screw up on a task, don't wait to be told...'fess up! Tell him you can do it better and ask for the chance to show him. None of us are perfect.
5.) The examiner may try to distract you during a task. Remember, you are pilot in command and responsible for the safety of the flight. Don't be afraid to say something like "I need to focus on this maneuver. Let me finish it and then I'll answer your question." Show that you are in control.
Just a note - if the examiner fails your engine, be sure to look underneath the plane... there might be a grass strip nearby. Slow the airplane down to best glide speed and don't try to stretch the glide to a unreachable field.
6.) For final preparation - I used to fly with my students to the airport where the checkride would take place so they could get familiar with it. I would then put them thru a typical check ride sequence returning to that airport to shoot a few landings. I was a great confidence builder. I would also sit down with them and do a practice oral a couple of days before their ride. We'd be sure to review the PTS together and discuss anything they had questions about.

I never had a student fail a checkride. Most of them came back and told me that my practice checkride was tougher than the real one.

Good luck!

Tim

Do not archive

Zodiac XL - Jabiru 3300A
Almost done! It'll fly in spring!
psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Check Ride Reply with quote

Hi Larry,

Your question made me think of my own check ride (which was many many years ago). I started out at Griffiss AFB where I was an aero club member and flew to a relatively close civilian airport for the check ride. I think the short cross country helped me get into the mood for flying and perhaps reduced my nervous levels (if indeed I had them in those heady days). Of course I was used to flying from a highly controlled airport with more pattern restrictions than any civilian airport and that made the little country airport where I took my check ride seem simple. At Griffiss, you had to fly a specific pattern that avoided over-flying the nuclear storage dump, the ready line where bombers and fighters were waiting for the horn to go off and officer housing, and at the same time share a traffic pattern with jet fighters and bombers while dealing with rookie tower controllers. I guess I agree that you might do will to do some flying before the check ride to get you in the mood.

I made several mistakes on my actual check ride, but that didn't seem to bother the examiner at all. I think the issue was whether I was a safe pilot rather than a perfect one. None of my mistakes caused bent metal or any bodily injury. I might have gotten lost a little if I continued to fly away from the VOR I was suppose to be flying toward, but again the examiner wasn't bothered at all by this.

My only advice is the same I would give to any pilot under any situation. What ever happens the first thing you must do is fly the plane. Nothing else really matters. When you are the pilot in command there is nobody else to fly the plane for you. After you manage to keep flying the plane you can spend some time to figure out what ever issue may come second, but the first issue is and always will be -- fly the plane.

Good luck,

Paul
XL fuselage
do not archive

At 05:14 PM 5/19/2008, you wrote:
[quote] Well, I have my Private Pilot check ride on the 30th at 9 AM. I currently have 63 hours in and I am nervous. Any words of wisdom will be appreciated. I am concentrating on hood work and short field landings. I have VOR down enough to pass. After that, I probably will never see one again. I work graveyard in law enforcement and I have done a shift trade so that I will have a good nights sleep before the check ride. How do you get your nerves down before the big day! I do plan to show up a couple of hours early and going out for a couple of take off and landings, so that I might calm down a little. Has anyone done this? Is it recommended? I will be taking my check ride in a 1978 172N. I have flown this plane my whole time training.

Larry Husky
N667H (Reserved)
[b]

davgray(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Check Ride Reply with quote

Larry

It is very likely that your instructors put you thru much tougher senarios than the check ride is going to do.
Always try to think 5-10 minutes ahead of the airplane for the routine things that you know are coming and plan/setup how you are going to do it at a relaxed pace. Keep looking for easy emergency fields so you are prepared when they cut the power. During the maneuvering try to keep a good general idea where the airport is.( ie I am 10 miles south-southeast)

After you pass, when you fly, take the attitude, 'I am not going anywhere unless everything is the way I want it'.(especially the weather) Respect the minimum requirements that you have set for yourself. If you decide too early 'I am going flying' then you will obsess over the weather and it will be the cause of great anxiety.

Gary Ray
[quote] ---

Jaybannist(at)cs.com

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Check Ride Reply with quote

Larry,

If your instructor has signed you off to take the check ride, he or she feels that you are ready. Your instructor has a stake in your performance since it will reflect on his or her abilities as an instructor.

After the oral portion, you should be somewhat familiar with the examiner. That person doesn't want to fail you. Just be sure you understand what he or she wants you to do. Don't be afraid to ask for a repeat if you don't completely understand. A polite "Say again" will do.

Be prepared for surprises. At about 3,000 ft, my examiner failed the engine and said "You just lost your engine. You are above cloud cover, but there is a hole right below and an adequate landing area right below. What do you do?" I set up best glide speed and began a standard rate turn to the left as the airplane descended; then went through the engine out checklist. I spiraled for about two turns and he gave me the OK to break it off. I had never done this in practice, but I knew what to do.

My instructor advised that I say, out loud, what I am doing: touch a control, call out what it is and what I am doing with it, etc. That keeps you focused and lets the examiner know that you know what you are doing.

Consider this just another instructional experience. Most examiners certainly view it that way. If you mess up, say so and ask to do it again. You know that you know how to fly this airplane. Just do it!

Have fun!

Jay in Dallas

frankroskind(at)HOTMAIL.C

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Check Ride Reply with quote

I could not agree more. When I took my checkride visiblity was really 3-4 miles,becasue of haze. The examiner asked me to cross the Chesapeake Bay, and I told him that I thought that was not safe, as I would be out of sight of land, with no apparent horizon, and that was a lot more like IFR than the checkride was supposed to simulate. I said that I would not cross such a span without an instrument rating, as there was no way to tell if visiblility were to drop below minimums, and that the water and sky would become indistinguishable out near the horizon, requiring me to rely on my artificial horizon, an inappropriate use of the instruments during the checkride. The examiner smiled, agrreed with me, and proceed to administer the test on the western shore of the Chesapeake. This might not happen today with the ADIZ, but back then there was room to do maneuvers over the Western Shore. I passed thet test, and I am sure that one factor was the examiner's comfort with my decisionmaking skills.

Quote:
To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Check Ride
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 07:43:19 -0400

Larry

It is very likely that your instructors put you thru much tougher senarios than the check ride is going to do.
Always try to think 5-10 minutes ahead of the airplane for the routine things that you know are coming and plan/setup how you are going to do it at a relaxed pace. Keep looking for easy emergency fields so you are prepared when they cut the power. During the maneuvering try to keep a good general idea where the airport is.( ie I am 10 miles south-southeast)

After you pass, when you fly, take the attitude, 'I am not going anywhere unless everything is the way I want it'.(especially the weather) Respect the minimum requirements that you have set for yourself. If you decide too early 'I am going flying' then you will obsess over the weather and it will be the cause of great anxiety.

Gary Ray
Quote:

/IM/Join/Default.aspx?source=EML_WL_ChangeWorld' target='_new'>Join the i’m Initiative from Microsoft. [quote][b]

pavel569

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Check Ride Reply with quote

Hi Larry,
believe me, I know how you feel. My checkride is this Thursday, May 22nd. In my case, I know I work the best under the pressure, so hopefully it will be true in this case too.

Stratus Subaru EA-81
Tail, flaps, ailerons, wings, fuselage, canopy done ...
"do not archive"
n801bh(at)netzero.com

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Check Ride Reply with quote

You can do this,,,,, Positive attitude is your friend. Remember the check pilot is just another human being and is probably forgiving and understands your nervousness.. Chin up and don't dwell on the date, it is just another day.. The next post you will make is telling us you are a new pilot.... You can do it !!!!!!
do not archive
Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

-- LHusky(at)aol.com wrote:
Well, I have my Private Pilot check ride on the 30th at 9 AM.  I currently have 63 hours in and I am nervous. Any words of wisdom will be appreciated. I am concentrating on hood work and short field landings. I have VOR down enough to pass. After that, I probably will never see one again. I work graveyard in law enforcement and I have done a shift trade so that I will have a good nights sleep before the check ride. How do you get your nerves down before the big day! I do plan to show up a couple of hours early and going out for a couple of take off and landings, so that I might calm down a little. Has anyone done this? Is it recommended? I will be taking my check ride in a 1978 172N. I have flown this plane my whole time training.

Larry Husky
N667H (Reserved)

Quote:

====================================
">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
tronics.com
www.matronics.com/contribution

LHusky(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Check Ride Reply with quote

WOW! All these responses really have helped me to calm down a little. I keep in the background a lot and it is refreshing to hear and see the list on a positive note. This is the kind of stuff this list is for. I went out in 21 knot wind yesterday and was hitting short field landings right in the middle. It was bumpy, but not to bad. We always have some degree of wind here. 10 to 15 knots is average for a day here in the desert. I doubt I have had 10 calm wind days in all my training. I flew ultralights for a few years and flying in the wind bothered me. I think that is over with. I have been in as high as 30 knot winds with my instructor and did fine, but I will not make a practice of this on my own. My personal limits are lower. It just is not fun in that much wind. Today is going to be light winds about 10 to 15 knots, so I plan on going out and doing some more in a different wind. Should be a slight cross wind also. Well, thanks again for the support and I will let you guys know how it went after the check ride, if I decide to stay on the ground!! Take care,

Larry Husky
Madras, Oregon

In a message dated 5/19/2008 8:24:44 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, larry(at)macsmachine.com writes:
Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: LarryMcFarland <larry(at)macsmachine.com>

Relax Larry,
do the best you can and you'll pass the "test" easily.  Anticipation is

do not archive

LHusky(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:

Larry Husky
N667H (Reserved)
he es y --> - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS nbsp; - List Contribution Web Site ;   =========================

[quote][b]

LHusky(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Check Ride Reply with quote

Good luck to you Pavel! Let me know how it goes.

Larry

In a message dated 5/20/2008 6:20:01 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, pm569(at)HOTMAIL.COM writes:
Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "pavel569" <pm569(at)hotmail.com>

Hi Larry,
believe me, I know how you feel. My checkride is this Thursday, May 22nd. In my case, I know I work the best under the pressure, so hopefully it will be true in this case too.

--------
Pavel
CA
Zodiac XL N581PM (Reserved)
Tail, flaps, ailerons done, right wing on the table ....

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=184018#184018

[quote][b]

Gig Giacona

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Check Ride Reply with quote

I had to fly about a 30 minute x-c for my first check ride. It went a long way towards calming my nerves and put me firmly into the flying mode.

As many have already said the check pilot isn't your enemy just think of him as another instructor you will have in a long string of instructors.

I assume you aren't the first student your instructor has sent to this guy. Ask him about what other students have gone through. Heck, your instructor may have had this guy as a check pilot himself.

As others have written, your instructor thinks you are ready so you are probably ready. Go do it and enjoy it. Remember the worst day flying beat the best day on the ground.

rhansen16

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Check Ride Reply with quote

Larry,
Good luck with the checkride. I too am in law enforcement (now a deputy in New Mexico). I used to work in Wyoming and took my check ride at Provo, UT. There are not many things that I thought could rattle me anymore, boy was I wrong. The checkride had me shaking like the first day of the academy. I did like some mentioned and looked at the checkride as going up with an instructor. In the end I actually had fun and learned from the old timer that went up with me. He even passed me after I made a "soft field" landing. My landing would have sunk me six foot in the mud if it was soft. Now several years later, I still get a little nervous on my BFR's. Have fun with the check ride and let us all know how you turn out.

God Bless,
Rob
Building away on my 701

---

LHusky(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Check Ride Reply with quote

Well, if I do as well as I did in the academy, I will be good. I graduated with a 98%. I got a 97% on my knowledge test. I know what you mean by rattled. I have been in some pretty hairy situations, but put an instructor next to me in an airplane, it seems to be worse. The good part is I know the examiner. I have watched a few checkrides. He is a really nice guy. Got to go fly!

Larry

In a message dated 5/20/2008 10:53:34 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, stol701(at)yahoo.com writes:
Quote:

Larry,
Good luck with the checkride. I too am in law enforcement (now a deputy in New Mexico). I used to work in Wyoming and took my check ride at Provo, UT. There are not many things that I thought could rattle me anymore, boy was I wrong. The checkride had me shaking like the first day of the academy. I did like some mentioned and looked at the checkride as going up with an instructor. In the end I actually had fun and learned from the old timer that went up with me. He even passed me after I made a "soft field" landing. My landing would have sunk me six foot in the mud if it was soft. Now several years later, I still get a little nervous on my BFR's. Have fun with the check ride and let us all know how you turn out.

God Bless,
Rob
Building away on my 701

----- Original Message ----
To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 7:20:24 AM
Subject: Re: Check Ride

WOW! All these responses really have helped me to calm down a little. I keep in the background a lot and it is refreshing to hear and see the list on a positive note. This is the kind of stuff this list is for. I went out in 21 knot wind yesterday and was hitting short field landings right in the middle. It was bumpy, but not to bad. We always have some degree of wind here. 10 to 15 knots is average for a day here in the desert. I doubt I have had 10 calm wind days in all my training. I flew ultralights for a few years and flying in the wind bothered me. I think that is over with. I have been in as high as 30 knot winds with my instructor and did fine, but I will not make a practice of this on my own. My personal limits are lower. It just is not fun in that much wind. Today is going to be light winds about 10 to 15 knots, so I plan on going out and doing some more in a different wind.  Should be a slight cross wind also. Well, thanks again for the support and I will let you guys know how it went after the check ride, if I decide to stay on the ground!! Take care,

Larry Husky
Madras, Oregon

In a message dated 5/19/2008 8:24:44 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, larry(at)macsmachine.com writes:
Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: LarryMcFarland <larry(at)macsmachine.com>

Relax Larry,
do the best you can and you'll pass the "test" easily.  Anticipation is

do not archive

LHusky(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:

Larry Husky
N667H (Reserved)
he es y --> - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS nbsp;   - List Contribution Web Site ; =========================

Quote:

D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
nith-List"' href='mip://012b5a20/3D"http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List"'>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
='mip://012b5a20/3D"http://forums.matronics.com"'>http://forums.matronics.com
"' href='mip://012b5a20/3D"http://www.matronics.com/contribution"'>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Check Ride Reply with quote

Larry, on a check ride we used my 601 XL. The CFI was a nice young fellow that I had met at the airport so I felt good about him. It was terrible windy that morning, gusts 20 kts plus and I told him I really did not want to fly then, but he sorta insisted so off we went. He had never flown in a XL or any experimental plane before. We climbed to 3500 and it was still pretty bumpy. I was fighting the gusts pretty hard and he commented about why I could not keep the plane at a steady altitude? I offered the stick and he could not keep it steady either. I climbed on up to 4500 and offered some stalls and I think he was getting a bit green looking as the winds were even worse. After flying around about an hour I heard the radio say the winds were getting worse so I told him we probably should get on down. On down wind I had to full cross control just to fly straight. On short final just as I flared the right wing ballooned up even with full aileron trying to keep the win g down. I bumped the throttle, straightened her out and finally dropped her in, one wheel at at time. As we were taxiing I told him I owed him two more landings and he declined. I think he was ready to puke. He complemented my ability and said that it was the hairiest landing conditions he had ever flew in. I sure hope he fly's with me again when I need another CR. You'll do fine. Best regards, Bill

--

pavel569

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Check Ride Reply with quote

Check ride today - only oral due to bad weather but I wouldn't get to the flying anyway because I'VE SCREWED UP!!!!! - mainly on weather - AIRMET, SIGMET, CONV. SIGMET, METAR, AF, TAF, ATIS, AWOS, ASOS - for how long they are valid, area coverage, what is in the reports etc. I was ok, just that stupid cue ball sitting on my neck doesn't remember it Embarassed . Rescheduled for June 10.

Stratus Subaru EA-81
Tail, flaps, ailerons, wings, fuselage, canopy done ...
"do not archive"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: