Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attitude Indicators and MORE for SALEAttitude Indicators

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UFO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Attitude Indicators and MORE for SALEAttitude Indicators Reply with quote

Hey out there "guys". It's been awhile since I've posted anything on the list, but I always enjoy keeping track of what's going on with you all and the wisdom shared. I've been having lots of fun over the last year in the local area learning a little basic acro VFR and generally getting to know my mountainous local flying and all of the airspace restrictions around SLC. My CJ panel is about as basic as it gets with a Chinese Artificial Horizon and a whiskey compass and hand held Lowrance 1000 airmap for nav. No VOR, ILS or even an ADF. Mountains out here generally top 12 -14,000 feet. I'm seriously considering an expensive but all-in-one Enigma System glass cockpit with GPS, EFIS, flight instruments, terrain displays, etc. for experimental aircraft (non-certified). It's made by an Austrailian company called "Air Pacific Light Flying". Any input from the troops on this will be appreciated. I want this because I'm considering extended cross country flights now to some Red Strar fly-in destinations and being a paranoid ex-airline pilot, I want my back-ups. Also, I don't want to accidentally find myself IFR some dark and stormy night and have my eyeballs cage while trying to decide what's really happening with the Chinese ADI versus what my stressed out brain is trying to see from 30 plus years of flying IFR with the American versions.

Thanks,

P.S. Despite any differences of opinion we're bound to have, I don't doubt that anyone on this list would be willing to pull a brother (or sister) out of a burning plane at great risk to themselves if the situation called for it. These "Yaks" bring some pretty neat (if opinionated) people together, and for that I am eternally grateful.

Val
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Attitude Indicators and MORE for SALEAttitude Indicators Reply with quote

Val,
Look at the Dynon system while you are at it. I think you will find it less than the Enigma and it will give you just as much capability. The Aspen system is another one to consider. It is TSO’d so you are going to pay about $6000 for it. Go to www.dynon.com to look at what they offer. You will be amazed.
I have flown my Dynon IFR on some approaches at my local drome. It was fine with all the information I needed infront of my eyeballs.
Doc

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of V. Walker
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 12:33 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Attitude Indicators and MORE for SALEAttitude Indicators

Hey out there "guys". It's been awhile since I've posted anything on the list, but I always enjoy keeping track of what's going on with you all and the wisdom shared. I've been having lots of fun over the last year in the local area learning a little basic acro VFR and generally getting to know my mountainous local flying and all of the airspace restrictions around SLC. My CJ panel is about as basic as it gets with a Chinese Artificial Horizon and a whiskey compass and hand held Lowrance 1000 airmap for nav. No VOR, ILS or even an ADF. Mountains out here generally top 12 -14,000 feet. I'm seriously considering an expensive but all-in-one Enigma System glass cockpit with GPS, EFIS, flight instruments, terrain displays, etc. for experimental aircraft (non-certified). It's made by an Austrailian company called "Air Pacific Light Flying". Any input from the troops on this will be appreciated. I want this because I'm considering extended cross country flights now to some Red Strar fly-in destinations and being a paranoid ex-airline pilot, I want my back-ups. Also, I don't want to accidentally find myself IFR some dark and stormy night and have my eyeballs cage while trying to decide what's really happening with the Chinese ADI versus what my stressed out brain is trying to see from 30 plus years of flying IFR with the American versions.

Thanks,

P.S. Despite any differences of opinion we're bound to have, I don't doubt that anyone on this list would be willing to pull a brother (or sister) out of a burning plane at great risk to themselves if the situation called for it. These "Yaks" bring some pretty neat (if opinionated) people together, and for that I am eternally grateful.

Val
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ChangDriver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Attitude Indicators and MORE for SALEAttitude Indicators Reply with quote

Val:

You should take a look at Blue Mountain Avionics. They have some very nice stuff for experimental aircraft. I am in the process of installing a BMA Sport in my CJ. Well, actually, Barry Hancock at Worldwide Warbirds is installing it. I've also installed round dial backup instruments. The BMA Sport integrates well with the Garmin SL-40 and Garmin transponders.

You can contact me off-list if you want any further info. Or contact Barry.

Cheers,

Craig

jorgen.nielsen(at)mweb.co

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Attitude Indicators and MORE for SALEAttitude Indicators Reply with quote

I have other products from same supplier and very happy with it.

The enigma far more capable than the dynon. It’s a South African product, made by MGL avionics.

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of V. Walker
Sent: 14 August 2008 07:33 PM

Thanks,

Val
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Dabear(at)damned.org

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Attitude Indicators and MORE for SALEAttitude Indicators Reply with quote

I, like many others, have been following the EFIS products for a few years for the CJ/Yak application. None are perfect and like the choice between CJ/yak-52/yak50 the choice comes down to mission and individual preference. (NO THAT WAS NOT A REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION OF CJ versus YAK; down guys down Smile

I'd like to get a system that not only does EFIS, but also supports replacing our engine instruments (that gets rid of 250lbs of Chinese/Russian wiring, power supplies, and instruments) and only adds limited (10lbs maybe) weight back in. The other thing I look for is support and the Dynon folks are all over supporting their customers with trade in and upgrade paths. Be very careful with the Blue Mountain stuff, they don't have a great history of supporting back revisions of their hardware and software.

After walking the booths at Osh, I'm looking at
#1) the next gen Dynon box,
#2) the Advanced Systems unit,
#3) the GRT units.
#4) Aspen Avionics

1 and 2 swap back and forth. The AdvSys latest units are already out and support 9 Cyl CHT (A BIG issue when troubleshooting engine issues). They also have highspeed data connectivity between units, great upgrade support, and support redundant screens in the back for less cash than a full unit. But are more expensive than other units.

Dynon is the low cost, great support leader. But they don't yet (and as of 3 days ago) don't plan to support 9Cyl engines. Their next gen box looks great and even has an autopilot interface. All for less money.

The GRT unit has had redundant AHRS units for years, a good unit and good support and upgrades. However, seperate engine monitoring unit that "talks" to the EFIS. Their new units are good, just more expensive than the Dynon.

Blue Mountain has multiple products and a very nice interface. Initially, I was going toward them. However after seeing how they deal with upgrade path, and support of people that purchased their 1st and 2nd gen units. I no longer consider them. (just my opinion, your experience may vary, void where prohibited, weight before cooking).

The Aspen Avionics unit is fantastic. I like the idea of software upgrades (no Hardware changes) between their different levels of EFD1000. it is certified and a very nice unit. Only issue is the cost for the Pro version (support for 2 GPS/VHF Nav) at 10k.

But I've added an EFIS to the list of upgades for the CJ including
2 axis autopilot
3 axis electric trim
Radar Altimiter for CAT III approaches
Look down-shoot down radar system
Radar Jamming pod
FLIR

It might affect my ability to carry a GIB due to impact to gross weight...and ...Now all I need is the cash.....

Dabear

[quote] ---

viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Attitude Indicators and MORE for SALEAttitude Indicators Reply with quote

Great summary. The Blue Mountain has GPS built in. The Dynon interfaces with the Garmin 430, 396, 496, 40/30SL(as well as other GPS units) to give you through their interface module GPS , ILS, and VOR approaches. It will communicate with a second unit in the backseat along with flip flop between the HSI function and the HUD function for the D10A or with the D100 you can setup a split screen. The D10A plus all it’s probes is around $2850. Add on the HS 34 HSI module for flipping between the 40SL and the 396 or 430 for $650. The D10A and D100 will communicate with the 396/430 without the HS 34 module but you lose the ILS/VOR function if you are interfacing it with a SL40. ADD an EMS D10 for engine monitoring (6 cylinders only but you can add a flip flop switch a pickup the 3 you are missing). So basically for $2300, 1700, and 650 plus $130 ( Li backup battery),$100 (external digital compass- highly recommend),$65 (OAT probe. Winds aloft and density altitude automatically calculated), $90 (wiring harness) , $20 (flush mount bracket) (fits in the existing panel holes in the YAK or CJ), $ 80 (encoder converter), you have a system that will do everything you wanted in navigation in an experimental A/C in the US.
I have not added the EMS D10 yet so I did not give the cost of the probes for the EMS system but they are cheap. They range from $20 to $75 for probes with the most expensive being the fuel flow sensor.
The software updates are free from Dynon and when you call support you get instant help while actually speaking with a human. I have been well satisfied with the system in my 50. For under $5000, you have a full up system. The remote mounted digital compass is a must due to all the ferrous metal around the panel (atleast in my 50 and 52) causing swing in the compass function in the main panel mount unit.
Overall, I have been very pleased
Go to the Dynon website to learn more. I’m pretty well sold on the unit. For the cost, you get 9 instruments in one.
Doc

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of dabear
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2008 4:12 PM

I, like many others, have been following the EFIS products for a few years for the CJ/Yak application. None are perfect and like the choice between CJ/yak-52/yak50 the choice comes down to mission and individual preference. (NO THAT WAS NOT A REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION OF CJ versus YAK; down guys down Smile

I'd like to get a system that not only does EFIS, but also supports replacing our engine instruments (that gets rid of 250lbs of Chinese/Russian wiring, power supplies, and instruments) and only adds limited (10lbs maybe) weight back in. The other thing I look for is support and the Dynon folks are all over supporting their customers with trade in and upgrade paths. Be very careful with the Blue Mountain stuff, they don't have a great history of supporting back revisions of their hardware and software.

After walking the booths at Osh, I'm looking at

#1) the next gen Dynon box,

#2) the Advanced Systems unit,

#3) the GRT units.

#4) Aspen Avionics

1 and 2 swap back and forth. The AdvSys latest units are already out and support 9 Cyl CHT (A BIG issue when troubleshooting engine issues). They also have highspeed data connectivity between units, great upgrade support, and support redundant screens in the back for less cash than a full unit. But are more expensive than other units.

Dynon is the low cost, great support leader. But they don't yet (and as of 3 days ago) don't plan to support 9Cyl engines. Their next gen box looks great and even has an autopilot interface. All for less money.

The GRT unit has had redundant AHRS units for years, a good unit and good support and upgrades. However, seperate engine monitoring unit that "talks" to the EFIS. Their new units are good, just more expensive than the Dynon.

Blue Mountain has multiple products and a very nice interface. Initially, I was going toward them. However after seeing how they deal with upgrade path, and support of people that purchased their 1st and 2nd gen units. I no longer consider them. (just my opinion, your experience may vary, void where prohibited, weight before cooking).

The Aspen Avionics unit is fantastic. I like the idea of software upgrades (no Hardware changes) between their different levels of EFD1000. it is certified and a very nice unit. Only issue is the cost for the Pro version (support for 2 GPS/VHF Nav) at 10k.

But I've added an EFIS to the list of upgades for the CJ including

2 axis autopilot

3 axis electric trim

Radar Altimiter for CAT III approaches

Look down-shoot down radar system

Radar Jamming pod

FLIR

It might affect my ability to carry a GIB due to impact to gross weight...and ..Now all I need is the cash.....

Dabear

Quote:

----- Original Message -----

To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)

Sent: Friday, August 15, 2008 3:08 PM

Subject: RE: Yak-List: Attitude Indicators and MORE for SALEAttitude Indicators

I have other products from same supplier and very happy with it.

The enigma far more capable than the dynon. It’s a South African product, made by MGL avionics.

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of V. Walker
Sent: 14 August 2008 07:33 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)

Thanks,

Val
Quote:
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-Listhttp://forums.matronics.comhttp://www.matronics.com/contribution href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-Listhref="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
http://forums.matronics.com
[quote][b]

ChangDriver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Attitude Indicators and MORE for SALEAttitude Indicators Reply with quote

Gang:

As for my experience with Blue Mountain Avionics, it has been nothing but superior. They have worked very hard with Barry and I on multiple issues with regard to doing 9-cylinder engine monitoring, installation, etc. Your mileage may vary, but they have been fantastic to work with. I called Dynon and GRT during my decision making process and asked about 9 cylinder monitoring and got a flat out no, not in the cards.

With the Sport, I get a display I can actually read due to its size, synthetic vision, XM weather, full integration to the Garmin SL-30. If you do the Garmin GTX 330 transponder, you can even have traffic. In addition, I get full 9-cylinder engine monitoring, fuel flow, etc, etc. There is also an aerobatic mode that minimizes info on the display to attitude, airspeed, altitude and g's.

If I were doing it all over, I may even have considered their EFIS-2 as it gives you the 6-pack, HSI and moving map all in one display. Very nice.

More expensive that Dynon, yes.

Craig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: