Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LEDs for strobes and position lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corvairkelso

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: LEDs for strobes and position lights Reply with quote

In response to a previous question about using LED for position lights and strobe, check www.luxeonstar.com. I have used their rebel stars in the white tri-emitter powered by their power supply, called a buck puck successfully. The buck pucks imput 12 volts fine and output a fixed current, 700ma in my case. I am using a group of five stars, for about 1400 lumens per side. Luneon III stars are available in both red and green for position lights. Mounting was a challenge, finally using NAPA 549SWD surface mount dome light as a container for them. I used the lambertain style, which is 140 degree of coverage . This is my first posting so please forgive any errors and for being unable to provide an actual link to the referenced web site.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Speedy11(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: LEDs for strobes and position lights Reply with quote

Corvairkelso,
It sounds like you solved the mounting problem. I've been experimenting for some time with various LEDs for position and taxi light but with little success on a mounting solution. I finally gave up and bought the high dollar Whelen units. I found it wasn't worth my $time$ to continue the experiment.
Do you have and photos posted for us to see?
Stan Sutterfield

Quote:
In response to a previous question about using LED for position lights and strobe, check www.luxeonstar.com. I have used their rebel stars in the white tri-emitter powered by their power supply, called a buck puck successfully. The buck pucks imput 12 volts fine and output a fixed current, 700ma in my case. I am using a group of five stars, for about 1400 lumens per side. Luneon III stars are available in both red and green for position lights. Mounting was a challenge, finally using NAPA 549SWD surface mount dome light as a container for them. I used the lambertain style, which is 140 degree of coverage

Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your budget? Read reviews on AOL Autos.
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Eric M. Jones

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: LEDs for strobes and position lights Reply with quote

A remarkable coincidence perhaps--I just listed a bunch of these on Ebay:

LuxDrive Powerpuck LED pwr supply 700 ma
Ebay item number: 180278091883

or: http://tiny.cc/aujh1

I used these for my white LED tail light but changed to linear regulators. My loss is your gain.

"it's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money...."
--Cowboy Poet Tom T. Hall

Southbridge, MA 01550
(508) 764-2072
emjones(at)charter.net
rockyjs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: LEDs for strobes and position lights Reply with quote

I just began flying using 700ma buck puck power supplies and 2 parallel 3 series K2 Stars. The power supplies are hitting my VHF radios with a lot of RFI. I’ve got some .1uf capacitors and ferrite beads to try and clean these up. I know of one other new aircraft that wound up removing the power supply and using a series resistor after cleaning up the noise, but losing some range on his radios. I’d like to solve the issue using the power supply. Anyone have any experience with cleaning these devices up?
Thanks
Rocky
[quote][b]

nuckolls.bob(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: LEDs for strobes and position lights Reply with quote

At 07:29 AM 8/18/2008 -0500, you wrote:

Quote:
I just began flying using 700ma buck puck power supplies and 2 parallel 3
series K2 Stars. The power supplies are hitting my VHF radios with a lot
of RFI. I ve got some .1uf capacitors and ferrite beads to try and clean
these up. I know of one other new aircraft that wound up removing the
power supply and using a series resistor after cleaning up the noise, but
losing some range on his radios. I d like to solve the issue using the
power supply. Anyone have any experience with cleaning these devices up?

Are you sure the noise is coming in through the
antenna? If the noise is conducted, the filtering
process could be different.

Bob . . .

----------------------------------------)
( . . . a long habit of not thinking )
( a thing wrong, gives it a superficial )
( appearance of being right . . . )
( )
( -Thomas Paine 1776- )
----------------------------------------

etienne.phillips(at)gmail

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: LEDs for strobes and position lights Reply with quote

Hi John

There are 2 options that I would consider doing if I were in your position...

1) Put a 1Ohm resistor in the supply line, and a range of 4 or 5 capacitors from 0.1uF to 10,000uF right at the supply to the regulator. This should create a very wide-band filter on the supply line. This won't help if the noise in your radio is coming from EMI through the receiver (rather than through the power line). This is a fairly quick and easy mod to make though.

2) Build yourself a linear (i.e. not switching) regulator to replace the BuckPuck. They're fairly simple to set up, and pretty robust. Assuming a forward bias of the Luxeons to be 3.9V (at)1A, using a properly heat-sinked 7810 with a 2.2Ohm 5W resistor in series with 2 Luxeons will give you a very clean supply. However, if your bus voltage drops below about 10V, these babies are going to get a bit dim.

But that's just me. Maybe someone will come up with a better suggestion?

Etienne

2008/8/18 John McKiernan <rockyjs(at)mchsi.com (rockyjs(at)mchsi.com)>
[quote]
I just began flying using 700ma buck puck power supplies and 2 parallel 3 series K2 Stars. The power supplies are hitting my VHF radios with a lot of RFI. I've got some .1uf capacitors and ferrite beads to try and clean these up. I know of one other new aircraft that wound up removing the power supply and using a series resistor after cleaning up the noise, but losing some range on his radios. I'd like to solve the issue using the power supply. Anyone have any experience with cleaning these devices up?
Thanks
Rocky
[b]

etienne.phillips(at)gmail

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: LEDs for strobes and position lights Reply with quote

And then I would read your mail properly to see that you're using K2 Stars and not Luxeon III's, which have a slightly different Voltage / Current ratio... Doh.

There are 2 types of K2 Stars... The 100 lumen and the 75 lumen.

The so-called 100 Lumen can actually be driven up to 140 lumen, at 1.5A, which makes the 7810 a bad choice if you want to drive it at 1.5A.

Same methodology applies though. Regulate to a known voltage, just above the series voltage of however many LEDs you choose, then use a resistor to regulate the current and step down the voltage the last bit.

2008/8/18 Etienne Phillips <etienne.phillips(at)gmail.com (etienne.phillips(at)gmail.com)>
[quote] Hi John

There are 2 options that I would consider doing if I were in your position...

1) Put a 1Ohm resistor in the supply line, and a range of 4 or 5 capacitors from 0.1uF to 10,000uF right at the supply to the regulator. This should create a very wide-band filter on the supply line. This won't help if the noise in your radio is coming from EMI through the receiver (rather than through the power line). This is a fairly quick and easy mod to make though.

2) Build yourself a linear (i.e. not switching) regulator to replace the BuckPuck. They're fairly simple to set up, and pretty robust. Assuming a forward bias of the Luxeons to be 3.9V (at)1A, using a properly heat-sinked 7810 with a 2.2Ohm 5W resistor in series with 2 Luxeons will give you a very clean supply. However, if your bus voltage drops below about 10V, these babies are going to get a bit dim.

But that's just me. Maybe someone will come up with a better suggestion?

Etienne

2008/8/18 John McKiernan <rockyjs(at)mchsi.com (rockyjs(at)mchsi.com)>
Quote:

I just began flying using 700ma buck puck power supplies and 2 parallel 3 series K2 Stars. The power supplies are hitting my VHF radios with a lot of RFI. I've got some .1uf capacitors and ferrite beads to try and clean these up. I know of one other new aircraft that wound up removing the power supply and using a series resistor after cleaning up the noise, but losing some range on his radios. I'd like to solve the issue using the power supply. Anyone have any experience with cleaning these devices up?
Thanks
Rocky

[b]

harley(at)AgelessWings.co

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: LEDs for strobes and position lights Reply with quote

Everyone...

As long as we're back on this topic again, has anyone visited the AveoFlash guys when they were at Oshkosh this year?

And, if so, what are your opinions of their product for wingtip strobe and position lighting?
www.aveoaviationlights.com/products/AveoFlash/index.php

Still considering them...

Harley Dixon
Long EZ N28EZ (working on the engine for awhile...before I go back to sanding the wing!)
Hangar 29, Airport
Canandaigua, NY

[quote][b]

AV8ORJWC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: LEDs for strobes and position lights Reply with quote

Loved them, don't know if the lumens are enough at a distance. From 10 feet they were great. Let's try 1,000 yards.

Do not want them in their encased plastic bezel. Would like to install them in my own covers.

John Cox

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Harley
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 7:43 AM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: LEDs for strobes and position lights

Everyone...

As long as we're back on this topic again, has anyone visited the AveoFlash guys when they were at Oshkosh this year?

And, if so, what are your opinions of their product for wingtip strobe and position lighting?

Harley Dixon
Long EZ N28EZ (working on the engine for awhile...before I go back to sanding the wing!)
Hangar 29, Airport
Canandaigua, NY [quote] [/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List[/b][/b][/b][/b]http://forums.matronics.com[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]http://www.matronics.com/contribution[/b][/b] [b]

sshook(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: LEDs for strobes and position lights Reply with quote

I loved them. I thought the price was right too. When I figured in the LED’s, power-pucks, assembly (was going to do something like Jeff did for his RV - http://www.jeffsrv-7a.com/LEDPROJECT1.htm ), strobe tubes, strobe power supply, and tail light - the price was about the same.

Scott R. Shook
RV-7A (Building)
N696JS (Reserved)

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Harley
Sent: Monday, 18 August, 2008 07:43
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: AeroElectric-List: LEDs for strobes and position lights

Everyone...

Harley Dixon
Hangar 29, Airport
Canandaigua, NY
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: