Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

701 Flap Angle choices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmccune

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: 701 Flap Angle choices Reply with quote

Didn't the older non SP versions have two flap angle choices with on being 30 degrees or so? What was the reason for this change. Mine will have multiple settings ala QPS kube kontrol. But is there any advantage to making a setting for for a steeper angle like the older models have? I searched the old archive but couldn't find the reason for this.
Thanks
Kevin

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

"Real freedom is the sustained act of being an individual." WW - 2009

"Life is a good deal...it's worth it" Feb 1969
Dorothy McCune
dougsnash

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: 701 Flap Angle choices Reply with quote

Kevin, I might be wrong about the reason for the flapperon change but I seem to remember it was inexpirienced pilots trying to land the older 701s with the second knotch of flapperon on like a Cessna 152. When the second knotch is deployed, the 701 truly will have the glide performance of a grand piano. This is good if yu are trying to get into a short strip and know the technique for doing so. If you try to lift the nose at 50 ft with the second knotch of flapperon on and the engine at idle, you are going to bend some aluminum.

It is all about maintiaining enough momentum in the descent to allow a proper round out and flare or being able to add the right amount of power at the right time.

Doug MacDonald
CH-701 Scratch Builder
NW Ontario, Canada

Do Not Archive
--- On Sun, 10/26/08, kmccune <kmccune(at)somtel.net> wrote:

Quote:

Didn't the older non SP versions have two flap angle
choices with on being 30 degrees or so? What was the reason
for this change. Mine will have multiple settings ala QPS
kube kontrol. But is there any advantage to making a setting
for for a steeper angle like the older models have? I
searched the old archive but couldn't find the reason
for this.

Thanks
Kevin

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

river1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 701 Flap Angle choices Reply with quote

Hello Kevin , I have a set of first edition drawings . There's only one flap setting (30). If I have to guess the reason for the change , the previous answer sounds like the right one .

PR

kmccune

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 701 Flap Angle choices Reply with quote

So it was 30 then, the photos I've seen show 3 notches, so maybe the builders made a intermediate flap setting? I had guessed that the photos showing two notches were of the SP model, guess I should have paid more attention.

Dorothy McCune
lgold(at)quantum-associat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: 701 Flap Angle choices Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
I have one of the flap handles great better mechanical advantage (sold by
Quality Sport Plane LTD. in Cloverdale Ca.). It has 4 easy to deploy
settings, about 5-10-15-and 20-degrees. At 20 degrees I feel like the plane
is standing still when it lands and it will drop very rapidly if you don't
keep up the speed or if you don't give it some power. It "STOLs" great, but
you really have to work at keeping it from dropping too fast.

Doug MacDonald is right when he says it has the flying characteristics of a
piano.
Les

[quote] --

jpspencer(at)cableone.net

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: 701 flap angle choices Reply with quote

I added a second notch to mine. I see why Zenith took the second notch out...while the second setting does add some noticeable stability when approaching at very slow IAS, it can and does fall out from you without much warning and the likely result is crunching it if it happens very high and you don't quickly catch it with power.

Joe
[quote][b]

ggower_99(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: 701 Flap Angle choices Reply with quote

Hello Kevin,

First hand experience: Is not needed at all, in fact dangerous. We made the flap handle with the 3 slots, only reason: "Why not? Was there in the older planes"

When we were very confident with the handling of the 701 (lots of landings and touch and goes later) when we thought we were very proficient with the first slot (15 deg) we tested a few (30) slot aproaches and short landings...

The aproach was so steep and the light airplane loosed so much speed (inertia) that just imagining an engine failure 30 to 50 feet above the ground will give us the feeling of very easy to get in a position of risk of breaking the plane and a few bones.
More than little (too much for me) power and nose down position, is needed just to keep tha plane in the 50 mph approach and at flair. No needs for a "hands full" situation in flair.

Is better to learn (and practice as much as possible) a good 15deg flap approach and short landing technique eficiently, that taking the risk to damage the plane (and yourself) seriously with the 30 deg position. There are several videos where you can watch efficient short landings in the "normal" 701 using the 15 deg position .

In other words, is like depoying a drag chute in the air. For me, not practical and really not neaded at all, but is your choice.

Hope this helps.

Saludos
Gary Gower
701 912S landing at high altitude (5,000 ft ASL plus) strips.
223 hrs and counting.

--- On Sun, 10/26/08, kmccune <kmccune(at)somtel.net> wrote:

Quote:
Subject: 701 Flap Angle choices
To: zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 9:00 AM

Quote:
--> Zenith701801-List message posted by: "kmccune"
<kmccune(at)somtel.net>

Didn't the older non SP versions have two flap angle choices with on being
30 degrees or so? What was the reason for this change. Mine will have multiple
settings ala QPS kube kontrol. But is there any advantage to making a setting
for for a steeper angle like the older models have? I searched the old archive
but couldn't find the reason for this.
Thanks
Kevin

--------
Mark Twain: Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover.

[quote][b]

jgswartout(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: 701 Flap Angle choices Reply with quote

Anybody have a view on this issue as for the 801?

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 12:10 AM, Gary Gower <ggower_99(at)yahoo.com (ggower_99(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
[quote] Hello Kevin,

First hand experience: Is not needed at all, in fact dangerous. We made the flap handle with the 3 slots, only reason: "Why not? Was there in the older planes"

When we were very confident with the handling of the 701 (lots of landings and touch and goes later) when we thought we were very proficient with the first slot (15 deg) we tested a few (30) slot aproaches and short landings...

The aproach was so steep and the light airplane loosed so much speed (inertia) that just imagining an engine failure 30 to 50 feet above the ground will give us the feeling of very easy to get in a position of risk of breaking the plane and a few bones.
More than little (too much for me) power and nose down position, is needed just to keep tha plane in the 50 mph approach and at flair. No needs for a "hands full" situation in flair.

Is better to learn (and practice as much as possible) a good 15deg flap approach and short landing technique eficiently, that taking the risk to damage the plane (and yourself) seriously with the 30 deg position. There are several videos where you can watch efficient short landings in the "normal" 701 using the 15 deg position .

In other words, is like depoying a drag chute in the air. For me, not practical and really not neaded at all, but is your choice.

Hope this helps.

Saludos
Gary Gower
701 912S landing at high altitude (5,000 ft ASL plus) strips.
223 hrs and counting.

--- On Sun, 10/26/08, kmccune <kmccune(at)somtel.net (kmccune(at)somtel.net)> wrote:

Quote:
From: kmccune <kmccune(at)somtel.net (kmccune(at)somtel.net)>
Subject: 701 Flap Angle choices
To: zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com (zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com)
Date: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 9:00 AM

Quote:
--> Zenith701801-List message posted by: "kmccune"
<kmccune(at)somtel.net (kmccune(at)somtel.net)>

Didn't the older non SP versions have two flap angle choices with on being
30 degrees or so? What was the reason for this change. Mine will have multiple
settings ala QPS kube kontrol. But is there any advantage to making a setting
for for a steeper angle like the older models have? I searched the old archive
but couldn't find the reason for this.
Thanks
Kevin

--------
Mark Twain: Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover.

Quote:

[b]

bobkat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: 701 flap angle choices Reply with quote

I guess the different notches confuse me. The newer kits either have the flapperons set as 'up' or 'down!' Is tht 0 and 15 degrees??
I assume you added another flapperons notch further than the factory 15 degrees.
To each his/her own I guess, but I find I can land and take off over a real 50 foot obstacle so short that in all honesty I haven't even messed with any flapperon setting during the first half of my test flighting. Haven't even touched the knob yet! If the one and only flap setting works as advertised during my next 15 hours, I can't see how I'd ever need anything to land even shorter. Hah!
My kitfox has no "notches' for its flapperons, but is a friction thing that allows one to set it anywhere you want, so you can fine tune the settings for speed, use it as a trim tab or put in as much flapperon as you might want for landing or takeoff.
Like the 701 though, it slips so well and lands so short that although I fly out of some short strips with big trees at the ends, I can't see ever having the need to land or take off in even shorter distances.
It's an interesting topic!
[quote] ---

b.carl@sympatico.ca

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: 701 Flap Angle choices Reply with quote

Built my 701 in 94 to plans (1/91 -#2226) three notches; UP, 15', 30'..I had
just retired from the Air Force and last experience was fighters and 2.5"
glide slopes. Needless to say getting use to the 701 on approach with power
OFF was traumatic. I eventually got to practice full flap landing on wheels
after about 15 hrs even did a few with power OFF.
During the first 100 hrs I was not too crazy about using full flaps; I did
not believe they helped much on TO or landing. I mainly used the 15' slot.
By then I was on floats and eventually learned that full flaps shortened the
TO by a significant amount. I won't elaborate but it has to do with the fact
that floats prevent rotating to a high angle of attack and therefore the
extra lift from the flaps is a bonus. I now use 30' at all time except in
strong gusty winds and raise to 10' in ground effect after TO.
I found the ZAC flap lever design awkward so made my own (pic attached. with
5 notches, UP, 10', 20', 27', 37'. . I have used the 5th notch a few times
but eventually locked it out with a bolt. Anything above 30' can be
dangerous because it limit role control. With the flappers down much above
30', any further deflection for role control risk stalling the down going
flapper thereby introducing control reversal. Control is possible using
small aileron inputs and aggressive rudder but the benefit of 37' of flaps
is questionable.
On the related subjects of where to rig the flaps and reflexing the flappers
for minimum drag I make the following comments. My brother was a DH Beaver
commercial pilot and on that a/c he could adjust the hydraulically operated
flaps with the hand pump for optimum speed under different loads. I've
experimented with rigging and reflex on my 701 and conclude the following;
1. Optimum adjustment varies with load, C of G, and speed.
2. Without an infinitely adjustable flap lever I rig the flaps and
stab/elevator for my usual cross-country cruise speed.
3. I aim to have the Stab/elevator close to neutral when 2 above is
achieved; the flappers should not be pitching the nose down and the
stab/elevator pitching the nose up or vis versa, that's a speed brake and
not needed in a 701.
Carl
701/912
---

flap_lever.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.19 KB
 Viewed:  604 Time(s)

flap_lever.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: 701 flap angle choices Reply with quote

I always use the second notch when landing on my 250 foot strip and usually on the 500 foot strip.

Joe

>To each his/her own I guess, but I find I can land and take off over a
[quote]real 50 foot obstacle so short that in all honesty I haven't even messed
with any flapperon setting during the first half of my test flighting
Quote:
[b]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: 701 Flap angle choices Reply with quote

Agreed. I run my elevator down cable as loose as I can stand it to keep from limiting the aileron travel when using the second notch...since the elevator cables tighten when extending flaps and applying right aileron because of the off center control apparatus, effectively restricting right aileron application. The limited roll control can bite on a low speed high pitch go around with a 912s, as the left yaw/roll tendency is strong...maybe another reason ZAC didn't want the 701 operated with the second notch. I am very careful with pitch/power when going around with 2 notches out...all this from my feeble momory...but I think I got it right.

Joe

>but eventually locked it out with a bolt. Anything above 30' can be
[quote]dangerous because it limit role control.
Quote:
[b]

kmccune

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 701 Flap Angle choices Reply with quote

Well thanks for all the input guys, I think I'll build it like the QSP and B.Carls pictured. I thinking of using 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20 or 25 degrees. The Kube from QSP has 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20. I may never use the 20/25 setting, but I won't know if I don't build it, I'm leaning towards the 20 degree to keep the ailerons effective . I will be building floats down the road, so the 25 may be a benefit there. And not to worry guys the first bunch of times I'll test it will be with plenty of recovery room and ONLY after lots and lots of standard landings. If I don't like it I'll block it off.

Thanks

Kevin

Dorothy McCune
keystone(at)gci.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: 701 Flap Angle choices Reply with quote

Hi

I always take off my 801 with 10-15 degrees flaps. It gets quite a bit of
lift without out much drag at this setting. It flys a slower with a little
flap but you do not get into the problems you have with full flaps. I also
get about 100 fpm extra climb with the take off flap setting. Just remember
to lower them when you get to cruise.

I have taken my 801 with full flaps in the Valdez May Day Fly-in. The 801
flys amazingly slow with full flaps but the adverse yaw needs to be
considered. You can rotate at 20 mph. You will need more nose up trim than
without flaps. Once you get it off the ground you put the nose down and get
the flaps up.

I almost always land with full flaps. OK, I will admit it; I drag it in
with power. The other plane I fly is a 185 on amphibs and I drag it in with
power. The 185 on amphibs will not climb with full flaps! With both
airplanes if you pull the power you need to head toward the runway
immediately! You need to keep your speed up and use the speed energy to
flare.

If you are going to land with full flaps, you should practice full flap go
around at altitude because it takes quite a bit of force to overcome the
nose up trim. I normally don't trim it out completely on final.

As I have said here before do not land with full flaps in a cross wind!

On floats I did not have enough elevator control to use full flaps on
landing. I normally landed with 15 to 20 degrees flaps. Take off was
always with 10-15 degrees flaps

I have installed the longer horizontal tail and have VGs on the bottom of
the horizontal stabilizer. I have the slats on.

Bill Wilcox
Valdez, AK
N801BW
405 hrs
In winter storage
Working on the engine cowl.

Anybody have a view on this issue as for the 801?

jgswartout(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: 701 Flap Angle choices Reply with quote

Bill,, I'm glad you mentioned you have the 10 ft tail. I was told by one of the Heintz brothers several years ago that the 801 could not be rotated at less than 40 mph--not a good feature when you can't do a short/rough T.O. with a bush plane! I'm glad to hear that the bigger HT has taken care of that. I'll have to order one and build it this winter. I'm starting painting in a couple weeks, then final engine installation and cowl fitting.

Also I meant to thank you for that very generous and useful and detailed report you gave on the Full Lotus installation. I plan to do that after a a season on wheels.

John
On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Keystone Engineering LLC <keystone(at)gci.net (keystone(at)gci.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> Zenith701801-List message posted by: Keystone Engineering LLC <keystone(at)gci.net (keystone(at)gci.net)>

Hi

I always take off my 801 with 10-15 degrees flaps. It gets quite a bit of
lift without out much drag at this setting. It flys a slower with a little
flap but you do not get into the problems you have with full flaps. I also
get about 100 fpm extra climb with the take off flap setting. Just remember
to lower them when you get to cruise.

I have taken my 801 with full flaps in the Valdez May Day Fly-in. The 801
flys amazingly slow with full flaps but the adverse yaw needs to be
considered. You can rotate at 20 mph. You will need more nose up trim than
without flaps. Once you get it off the ground you put the nose down and get
the flaps up.

I almost always land with full flaps. OK, I will admit it; I drag it in
with power. The other plane I fly is a 185 on amphibs and I drag it in with
power. The 185 on amphibs will not climb with full flaps! With both
airplanes if you pull the power you need to head toward the runway
immediately! You need to keep your speed up and use the speed energy to
flare.

If you are going to land with full flaps, you should practice full flap go
around at altitude because it takes quite a bit of force to overcome the
nose up trim. I normally don't trim it out completely on final.

As I have said here before do not land with full flaps in a cross wind!

On floats I did not have enough elevator control to use full flaps on
landing. I normally landed with 15 to 20 degrees flaps. Take off was
always with 10-15 degrees flaps

I have installed the longer horizontal tail and have VGs on the bottom of
the horizontal stabilizer. I have the slats on.
[quote][b]

keystone(at)gci.net

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: 701 Flap Angle choices Reply with quote

John

When I was rotating at 20 mph the plane was at empty weight plus me and 10
gallons of fuel. I could force the nose down then it would spring back up.
Like they say on TV don't try this at home. Or at least go practice with
1/2 flaps then 3/4 flaps then with full flaps on a calm day in the middle of
a big runway.

The Heintz brother is correct at normal operating weights unless you have a
real rearward CG you cannot lift the nose before 40 mph. I have only
experienced the nose coming up easily once. I was heavy and rearward on my
CG. The nose came up very easily at very low speeds. I held the nose off
but kept the plane on until I had more than normal flying speed. In my
experience when you are exploring the very edges of the weight and balance
envelope you should fly in the middle of the flight envelope.

Here is a post I did about two years ago regarding the small tail, large
tail and VGs.

Quote:
As someone who has flown the short and long elevators with and without VGs,
I feel I may have something to add to the discussion. The plane flys fine
with all of the versions. I found I was able to fly slower, stabilized
approaches as the elevator became more effective. With the small tail I
found the plane sensitive in pitch at very slow speeds which made it
difficult to stabilize a very slow approach. I am now able to fly short
final at 45 mph. Before I was 50 mph or so.

Quote:
Even with the large tail with VGs I still cannot raise the nose with power.
When the nose comes up the 801 will fly. The tail is just not in the prop
wash.

Quote:
If the original tail is rated as 100. The original tail with VGs is
probably 125. The larger tail is probably 130. The larger tail with VGs is
probably 140. Realize this is a subjective rating system and I cannot back
it up with data. Well, I take that back. At the Valdez May day fly-in
competition with the original tail I was able to take off in 130'. With
the bigger tail with VGs I got off in 113.5'

Quote:
I still run out of trim at slow approaches speeds. I'm contemplating
adding VG to the top to try to increase the effectiveness of the trim tab.

Quote:
One more word to the wise. Do not fly approaches with full flaps when
there is a significant crosswind!!! Keep the flaps up and the 801 handles
crosswinds very well.

Bill Wilcox
Valdez, AK
N801BW
405 hrs
In winter storage
Working on the engine cowl
Time: 12:05:03 PM PST US
Subject: Re: 701 Flap Angle choices

Bill,, I'm glad you mentioned you have the 10 ft tail. I was told by one of
the Heintz brothers several years ago that the 801 could not be rotated at
less than 40 mph--not a good feature when you can't do a short/rough T.O.
with a bush plane! I'm glad to hear that the bigger HT has taken care of
that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: