Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anything wrong with using a plier style crimper?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rparigor(at)SUFFOLK.LIB.N

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Anything wrong with using a plier style crimper? Reply with quote

Hi BobThx. for the information you sent.I have been fooling with borrowed crimpers since your reply E-mail, some cheap, some not so cheap, and although I can get a semi OK crimp on #22 wire, I just wasn't happy. That's until just now. A local guy turned up at the airport and had an Amp 59250 tool that he purchased used off of E-Bay. It appears to be the exact same tool as you depict as "high priced tool" in:http://aeroelectric.com/articles/CrimpTools/crimptools.htmlIt works great on a single #22! Easy to use. End of story, I can borrow anytime I need. The reason it works better is the die is very well thought out where it contains the terminal from growing too wide. The other tools work OK on #20 wire, but the 59250 works well on both.Ron Parigoris>>I rounded up some ratcheting style crimping tools from airport folk >>and a homebuilder for crimping Red crimp on connectors from Stein >>(fast on and ring). >> >>Got hold of a Paladin tool with several sets of dies, and some no >>name non adjustable tool. >> >>The die sets for the Paladine: >>****Part number said for insulated terminals and had 3 colored dots >>including red >>****There was a set of dies with no part number but fit tool >>(perhaps from Stein??) and looked like for insulated terminals >>And a few others, one for uninsulated terminals and other >> >>First off no matter what the adjustment, if using 22 gauge wire, >>even with the dies completely bottomed, could not get as much a grip >>as i would like. I could semi make it better by splicing more wire >>and doubling it over to better fill hole. Problem was it still did >>not crimp wire terrific and the portion that was to crimp on the >>insulation for strain relief was too far away (too wide a die?) >>where it was only partially catching the metal in the terminals. All >>the terminals from Stein and Terminal Town and Mcmaster (double >>metal) appeared to be too short for tool. I tried all the dies I had >>and combinations. Not great success with the no name tool with fixed >>dies and is non adjustable. >> >>I could get an OK crimp, probably will work and with heat shrink >>support will probably be OK, but insulation was not captured >>properly and if i sliced open the crimp on the wire, you could see >>it is not as compact as would be nice. >> >>Then I pulled out an old and rusty Whitaker WC2850 tool, looks like >>a pair of pliers with several dies on it. >> >>After some practice I can make what I think is a very nice crimp, >>far better than what I could do with the other tools. >> >>*First I stripped twice what I need and double up tail to go into >> terminal >>*Then crimp with RARB die about 1/16" from the edge of terminal >>*Then use a part of tool called "A" which is kind of a half cylinder >>(feel here is important) and put a dimple on top of terminal where I >>just crimped. I tried to over crimp this step and if I go crazy >>where terminal in stead of being straight begins to bend, I can tear >>wire when pulled very hard because wire is mashed too much. I am >>pretty confident can repeat this dimple consistently. When I sliced >>practice terminals apart had a very compacted crimp without strands >>being deformed/mashed. Without dimple, crimp is acceptable in my >>mind for automobiles only, and places easy to get at with no moisture >> present. >>*Then use RARB to crimp wire insulation about 1/16" from edge, no >>hurting of insulation at all and wire is held pretty good. >> >>Anyone see any problems crimping like I describe? i could have >>stripped and crimped a dozen terminals in time it took me to write this. >> >>Ron Parigoris > > The physics for making a gas-tight connection between wire > and terminal is process-sensitive. The "ideal" crimped > junction puts sufficient force on the terminal to close > the cross-section of terminal and wire copper just to the > point that the terminal and wire strands become one piece > of metal. Too little mash, and voids in the joint allow > oxygen laden moisture to enter raising risk of failure > due to corrosion. Too much mash and strength of the > strands is weakened by reduction of cross-section thus > raising risk of failure under tension/vibration. See: > > http://aeroelectric.com/articles/CrimpTools/crimptools.html > > Dimple-crimps are for terminals going onto solid wire > only. See "Solistrand" terminals and tooling from AMP. > > You will note that all crimp tools suggested and/or > evaluated in our writing are free of "dimple" punches. > The PIDG style terminal is best applied with uniform > pressure offered by smooth bore dies. > > Of secondary concern is molding of the wire-grip to the > conductor just outside the joint. The terminal may have > too little volume in the closed condition for the amount > of plastic in the terminal's wire support insulation. > See: > > http://aeroelectric.com/Pictures/Terminals/JST_Samples_2.jpg > > These terminals were electrically okay when installed with > our favorite tools . . . but did not become part of our > inventory because we had no tools that would do a professional > looking installation. > > Ron, it's not possible to encourage or discourage use of the > tools you've cited without making a first-hand evaluation > of their performance under the guide-lines discussed in > the article above and these additional pieces found on > my website . . . > > http://aeroelectric.com/articles/faston3.pdf > > http://aeroelectric.com/articles/terminal.pdf > > Finally, on the subject of wire-joining, I'll remind > readers of this article published some years back > in Sport Aviation. The author didn't have a > clue about simple-ideas for the processes in > which he claimed considerable knowledged and skill. > > http://aeroelectric.com/articles/rules/review.html > > > Bob . . . [quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: