Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XL Cable tension specs - not on my plans!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron(at)healthpak.co.nz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: XL Cable tension specs - not on my plans! Reply with quote

I bought a kit from Zenair back in 1993, which I have now completed and flown 160 hrs in.

On my plans, there was no mention of any specification for cable tensions, when a fellow
XL builder from New Zealand experienced flutter during initial flight testing this is the response
from Zenair.

http://www.zenair.org/nuke/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=17

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Aaron(at)healthpak.co.nz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: XL Cable tension specs - not on my plans! Reply with quote

correction 2003 not 1993 for the XL kit purchase date
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jetboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: XL Cable tension specs - not on my plans! Reply with quote

Thats interesting I have been asking for the tensions and setup method that is NOT in the plans for my 2003 CH701 kit.

Its not that I have any concerns as I've been around certified aircraft for some time. My aircraft was a pre-rigged CZAW kit and the NZ CAA inspector commented the rudder cables appeared too tight, however I was happy with them and left them under observation, to settle in.

The area that prompted my enquiries was the state of the elevator system, which cannot be rigged for even cable tension in all quadrants of stick travel. There is an offset in the geometry of the control system which tightens the elevator if the stick is moved right. If one were to rig to 20 lbs the stick neutral position would be hard over to the left.

Maybe there is some info in Zenair News for the 701? No information from ZAC or Canzac was forthcoming. I have no problems (that I know about) but dont expect to be the last person told that I have been operating the aircraft incorrectly.

Ralph

JohnDRead(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: XL Cable tension specs - not on my plans! Reply with quote

Hi Ralph;
  I had the same question. I spoke to Caleb at the factory. Below is his reply. As you can see he does mention the asymmetry in the elevator system.

Hi John,
I'm not sure where it is located off the top of my head. The rudder cable tension should be 30lbs +/- 5. The elevator should be 20 lbs +/- 5. You will have to play with the elevator tension because if you have too much it will want to pull the stick to one side but you don't want it too loose either.

Caleb Gebhardt
Zenith Aircraft Co.
(573) 581-9000
caleb(at)zenithair.com (caleb(at)zenithair.com)

Technical Support Disclaimer: While we strive to ensure that the advice/information provided through our support is correct, Zenith Aircraft Company does not accept any responsibility for errors or omissions. Any advise or information that Zenith Aircraft Company gives you via any form of communication is not a guarantee that it will correct your problem. It is only offered as assistance to you. Zenith Aircraft Company will not be held responsible for any loss or damage as a result of our advise or information supplied.

John Read
CH701 - Elbert CO - Jabiru 3300

Phone: 303-648-3261
Fax: 303-648-3262
Cell: 719-494-4567
In a message dated 4/30/2009 1:14:51 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time, sanson.r(at)xtra.co.nz writes:
Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "jetboy" <sanson.r(at)xtra.co.nz>

Thats interesting I have been asking for the tensions and setup method that is NOT in the plans for my 2003 CH701 kit.

Its not that I have any concerns as I've been around certified aircraft for some time. My aircraft was a pre-rigged CZAW kit and the NZ CAA inspector commented the rudder cables appeared too tight, however I was happy with them and left them under observation, to settle in.

The area that prompted my enquiries was the state of the elevator system, which cannot be rigged for even cable tension in all quadrants of stick travel. There is an offset in the geometry of the control system which tightens the elevator if the stick is moved right. If one were to rig to 20 lbs the stick neutral position would be hard over to the left.

Maybe there is some info in Zenair News for the 701? No information from ZAC or Canzac was forthcoming. I have no problems (that I know about) but dont expect to be the last person told that I have been operating the aircraft incorrectly.

Ralph

--------
Ralph - CH701 / 2200a

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=242032#242032===============================================
_-= the ties Day ================================================ - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS ================================================ - List Contribution Web Site sp;   ===================================================

Big savings on Dell XPS Laptops and Desktops!
[quote][b]

Jon(at)joncroke.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: XL Cable tension specs - not on my plans! Reply with quote

Ralph,

Attached is a recent .pdf memo from Zenith regarding the 701 elevator cables
and the required geometry needed to insure consistent tension in all areas
of travel. This article was in a recent Zenair Newsletter - a good source
of many tips and techniques, but I am biased about that opinion!

Jon

---

Rigging_701_Elevator_Controls.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Rigging_701_Elevator_Controls.pdf
 Filesize:  23.55 KB
 Downloaded:  558 Time(s)

jetboy

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: XL Cable tension specs - not on my plans! Reply with quote

Thanks Jon thats much appreciated I will check those details shortly, externally I can pullback the elevator down cable by 1/4" with the stick held full up and hard left, but it stops being loose at neutral and tightens with stick full right.

I do hope that there is an amendment to the plans / construction manuals covering this advice both for 600 and STOL series as I have raised the issue many times on the lists

Ralph

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: