Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modern GPSes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Modern GPSes Reply with quote

Dave C

It is time to move up to the newer 296.  It's hard to put all the features of a color GPS in a basic reply such as this C but the advancement differences between the 196 and 296 are huge!!

How about color??  What is really difficult to put into words is the way a color screen augments your enjoyment of navigating with it.
  Example:  As you are flying along C winding your way through a wide river gorge C ALL surrounding terrain that is your elevation C or higher turns RED!!  So C even if your were to encounter fog C or smoke C or whatever C you can see which direction to keep the plane pointed.
Plus C if you climb out of the gorge C you'll see the surrounding terrain return to it's proper green/brown color C indicating you are no longer in danger of having a dirt sandwich.

I have flown two 900 mile cross-country flights.  The first was with my old Garmin 95XL.  I lost GPS coverage briefly C due to turbulence.  It was "okay".  Just okay!
  The second CC trip was with my 296.  Night and day difference!!!  The new one has many C many features that make navigation 100th the challenge it used to be. ("challenge" is an affectionate term.  It's usually a blast to fly C but it also requires some work.  The 296 makes the "work" fun.)

I'd like to point out the obvious.  I NEVER C NEVER rely on just a GPS for navigation.  I also plot my routes the old fashioned way C with Jep charts and a watch C etc C etc C etc.  Too important to leave up to just one "tool".

Again C I point out my experiences are with Garmin products.  I recognize there are many other fine GPSes C although may not be quite as popular as the industry leader.  Most of the top selling models of many brands would be a great idea.

Best regards C  Mike Welch

PS.  There are usually several used 296's on eBay.  A lot of guys move up to the 396 and 496 C etc.  Perfect condition used ones go for about $600 C the last time I looked.  Worth checking out.....

Ready for Fall shows? Use Bing to find helpful ratings and reviews on digital tv's. Click here. [quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Modern GPSes Reply with quote

I bought my 196 when they first came out. Made a lot of flights with it, in my mkIII, all over the North American Continent. It does everything I need to navigate, plus a lot of stuff I don't use.

It has triple capability, Air, Land, Sea. Have not used it in the Sea mode, but have tried to wear it out in the Air and Land modes.
I paid 830.00, Sun and Fun Special, for my 196. Worth every penny of it.

Now days you can pick up a new one cheap, or find a used or refurbished one even cheaper.

The 296 has a few more bells and whistles than the 196, but some how I have learned to live without them.

I have had two other Garmin Aviation GPS's, my first a 55AVD which took me to Dead Horse/Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, and around the border of the Continental US, and my second, a used 95XL that took me to Point Barrow, AK, back to Oshkosh, WI, and home to Alabama.

All that flying without color display too.

How much turbulence is required to lose GPS coverage?

john h
mkIII

[quote] It is time to move up to the newer 296. Best regards, Mike Welch

PS. There are usually several used 296's on eBay. A lot of guys move up to the 396 and 496, etc. Perfect condition used ones go for about $600, the last time I looked. Worth checking out......

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Modern GPSes Reply with quote

John H C

I knew you'd chime in about how well your 196 has served you.  You might have noticed I didn't put it down.  But C the fact of the matter is C the 296 has a heck of a lot more to it than just color C or bells and whistles. (although the color alone is a biggie)

Maybe Garmin should not waste their time on any new models.

How much turbulence does it take to knock out coverage (on a 95XL)?  Don't exactly know.  I guess the amount I flew through.

You may rest assured you can live without the bells and whistles of a newer 296.  It C like VGs C is a personal decision every pilot gets to make their own mind about.

Mike Welch
MkIIICX

To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Kolb-List: Modern GPSes
Date: Wed C 16 Sep 2009 19:09:15 -0600

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;} .ExternalClass BODY.EC_hmmessage {font-family:Verdana;font-size:10pt;} I bought my 196 when they first came out.  Made a lot of flights with it C in my mkIII C all over the North American Continent.  It does everything I need to navigate C plus a lot of stuff I don't use.

It has triple capability C Air C Land C Sea.  Have not used it in the Sea mode C but have tried to wear it out in the Air and Land modes.  
I paid 830.00 C Sun and Fun Special C for my 196.  Worth every penny of it.

Now days you can pick up a new one cheap C or find a used or refurbished one even cheaper.

The 296 has a few more bells and whistles than the 196 C but some how I have learned to live without them.

I have had two other Garmin Aviation GPS's C my first a 55AVD which took me to Dead Horse/Prudhoe Bay C Alaska C and around the border of the Continental US C and my second C a used 95XL that took me to Point Barrow C AK C back to Oshkosh C WI C and home to Alabama.

john h
mkIII

Quote:
   It is time to move up to the newer 296.  Best regards C  Mike Welch

PS.  There are usually several used 296's on eBay.  A lot of guys move up to the 396 and 496 C etc.  Perfect condition used ones go for about $600 C the last time I looked.  Worth checking out......

ttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
ronics.com
ww.matronics.com/contribution

Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by get='_new'>Get it now. [quote][b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Modern GPSes Reply with quote

Mike W/Gang:

Shucks!

Figured everyone on the List is entitled to their own opinion. You shared yours, and I shared mine.

I also figured folks should know the 196 is not prehistoric, but a good reliable, well proven piece of equipment.

Like all the equipment on my airplanes and my person, I try to keep things simple, in order to suscessfully complete my flights and enjoy them at the same time.

Did you know my avionics package consist of the cheapest, smallest handheld radio sold by ICOM? That little A3 and my 196 are the extent of my avionics package. Those two little items are all I need to do some serious cross country flying.

I want to impress on the members of this List that a lot of expensive equipment is not necessary in order to go out and have good, fun, safe flying, locally, or across the country, or internationally.

My flying buddy, John Williamson, flew with a 296. He liked it. I used to play with his 296, and enjoyed the features it had that my grey scale 196 did not have. However, those features were not necessary to help me make successful long cross country flights.

Oh...I think Garmin should still continue to produce newer and better models. Don't think I insinuated they shouldn't.

Color is great. I have a 60cx color map on my Honda Rincon. Works great and I love the color. Easy to see in direct sunlight. I use it every time I ride. I used it today riding to the Owyhee River Canyon to fish.

Someone on the Kolb List informed us of losing GPS coverage because of turbulence some years ago. Personally, I seriously doubt turbulence has anything to do with GPS reception, but I could be wrong.

How did you know it was turbulence that caused lose of GPS reception?

BTW: The 296 is only a tad newer than the 196. I can't remember when it came on the market, but it was very shortly after the 196. It is also old technology, like my GPS, but I am sure it still kicks ass.

john h - Who can see his little 60cx color map in the desert sun of SE Oregon.
MKIII

[quote]

I knew you'd chime in about how well your 196 has served you. You might have noticed I didn't put it down. But, the fact of the matter is, the 296 has a heck of a lot more to it than just color, or bells and whistles. (although the color alone is a biggie)

Maybe Garmin should not waste their time on any new models.

How much turbulence does it take to knock out coverage (on a 95XL)? Don't exactly know. I guess the amount I flew through.

You may rest assured you can live without the bells and whistles of a newer 296. It, like VGs, is a personal decision every pilot gets to make their own mind about.

Mike Welch
MkIIICX
[b]

Titus, Alabama

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Modern GPSes Reply with quote

John H C

A gentleman named Dave asked about upgrading to a 296.  It seems the people that offered help to his inquiry were limited to Ellery C Possums C and me (mostly me).
  He stated he needed to have Class C and D airspace better identified C because there is a lot of those airspaces in Florida.

He asked if a 296 addresses these issues. (they do)  He wasn't asking if anyone has flown all over God's country and back with a 196 C and if a 196 is a good GPS.  That wasn't the question.  He HAS a 196!  He was wondering if he upgraded C would he get the functions he needed.  
  Curious.  Why would you feel the need to defend the 196 C when that wasn't what he was asking?  Maybe you missed his original question.  

I am a proponent of everyone expressing their own opinion.  It might have been more beneficial if you would have told Dave HE didn't need to upgrade C rather than try to diminish my recommendation.  Because you like the 196 C is he supposed to just live with it?

Mike Welch
Do Not Archive

Subject: Re: Modern GPSes
Date: Wed C 16 Sep 2009 19:09:15 -0600
.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;} .ExternalClass BODY.EC_hmmessage {font-family:Verdana;font-size:10pt;} I bought my 196 when they first came out.  Made a lot of flights with it C in my mkIII C all over the North American Continent.  It does everything I need to navigate C plus a lot of stuff I don't use.

It has triple capability C Air C Land C Sea.  Have not used it in the Sea mode C but have tried to wear it out in the Air and Land modes.  
I paid 830.00 C Sun and Fun Special C for my 196.  Worth every penny of it.

Now days you can pick up a new one cheap C or find a used or refurbished one even cheaper.

The 296 has a few more bells and whistles than the 196 C but some how I have learned to live without them.

I have had two other Garmin Aviation GPS's C my first a 55AVD which took me to Dead Horse/Prudhoe Bay C Alaska C and around the border of the Continental US C and my second C a used 95XL that took me to Point Barrow C AK C back to Oshkosh C WI C and home to Alabama.

john h
mkIII

Quote:
   It is time to move up to the newer 296.  Best regards C  Mike Welch

PS.  There are usually several used 296's on eBay.  A lot of guys move up to the 396 and 496 C etc.  Perfect condition used ones go for about $600 C the last time I looked.  Worth checking out......

ronics.com

Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by get='_new'>Get it now. [quote][b]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Modern GPSes Reply with quote

Someone on the Kolb List informed us of losing GPS coverage because of turbulence some years ago.  Personally C I seriously doubt turbulence has anything to do with GPS reception C but I could be wrong. 

How did you know it was turbulence that caused lose of GPS reception?

john h - MKIII

John H. C

That was me that stated that before.  You are entitled to any opinion you want.  How do I know it was turbulence that caused the coverage to go out
for a few minutes at a time?

Let's see.  I'm flying over N. CA mountains C flying south.  My Cessna 172 and 95XL.  I start getting "significant" turbulence.  GPS goes out C screen says "Poor GPS coverage"  Nothing else C just that.
  After a few minutes C turbulence settles down.  Magic happens!  GPS is back to normal.....more turbulence....back to "Poor GPS coverage". 

This continued for about three more times.  Eventually C the bumps settled down and things were okay.

Seeing as how I was there Cand I was watching the GPS C and riding the bumps C that's the conclusion that I came to.  I'm open to other explanations C but it seemed all clear and concise at the time.  Maybe I needed more information before coming to the conclusion I drew.

It must be one of those UFO things.  I seen 'em.  Honest C I did!  They wuz 3 feet tall and they had really big heads.

Nobody believes me C but I was there.     I seen dem bumps.

Mike Welch
Do Not Archive 

Quote:

I knew you'd chime in about how well your 196 has served you.  You might have noticed I didn't put it down.  But C the fact of the matter is C the 296 has a heck of a lot more to it than just color C or bells and whistles. (although the color alone is a biggie)

Maybe Garmin should not waste their time on any new models.

How much turbulence does it take to knock out coverage (on a 95XL)?  Don't exactly know.  I guess the amount I flew through.

You may rest assured you can live without the bells and whistles of a newer 296.  It C like VGs C is a personal decision every pilot gets to make their own mind about.

Mike Welch
MkIIICX

ronics.com

Bing brings you health info from trusted sources. Try it now! [quote][b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Modern GPSes Reply with quote

Mike W/Gang:

Didn't know the conversation was confined to a few.

Guess I missed something. My 196 clearly defines all airspace, even D and C. Just doesn't do it in color.

Must have gotten this limited conversation mixed up with somebody asking about being able to see better in sun light with a 296 compared to the GPS they were currently using, I believe a grey scale model.

Wasn't defending the 196. Simply sharing the fact that it does the job in many different aviation environments. And...we don't have to spend a bundle to do some serious flying.

I don't think you have flown with the 196, have you?

It doesn't have terrain avoidance, but I don't fly if I can't see terrain.

And I certainly will not tell anyone else what they need to do, not on the Kolb List. Wink If you read my post correctly, I have not recommended my 196 to anyone.

john h
mkIII

[quote]
A gentleman named Dave asked about upgrading to a 296. It seems the people that offered help to his inquiry were limited to Ellery, Possums, and me (mostly me).
He stated he needed to have Class C and D airspace better identified, because there is a lot of those airspaces in Florida.

He asked if a 296 addresses these issues. (they do) He wasn't asking if anyone has flown all over God's country and back with a 196, and if a 196 is a good GPS. That wasn't the question. He HAS a 196! He was wondering if he upgraded, would he get the functions he needed.
Curious. Why would you feel the need to defend the 196, when that wasn't what he was asking? Maybe you missed his original question.

I am a proponent of everyone expressing their own opinion. It might have been more beneficial if you would have told Dave HE didn't need to upgrade, rather than try to diminish my recommendation. Because you like the 196, is he supposed to just live with it?

Mike Welch
Do Not Archive

Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 19:09:15 -0600
.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;} .ExternalClass BODY.EC_hmmessage {font-family:Verdana;font-size:10pt;}
I bought my 196 when they first came out. Made a lot of flights with it, in my mkIII, all over the North American Continent. It does everything I need to navigate, plus a lot of stuff I don't use.

It has triple capability, Air, Land, Sea. Have not used it in the Sea mode, but have tried to wear it out in the Air and Land modes.

Now days you can pick up a new one cheap, or find a used or refurbished one even cheaper.

The 296 has a few more bells and whistles than the 196, but some how I have learned to live without them.

I have had two other Garmin Aviation GPS's, my first a 55AVD which took me to Dead Horse/Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, and around the border of the Continental US, and my second, a used 95XL that took me to Point Barrow, AK, back to Oshkosh, WI, and home to Alabama.

john h
mkIII

Quote:
It is time to move up to the newer 296. Best regards, Mike Welch

PS. There are usually several used 296's on eBay. A lot of guys move up to the 396 and 496, etc. Perfect condition used ones go for about $600, the last time I looked. Worth checking out......

ronics.com

Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by get='_new'>Get it now.
Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

Titus, Alabama
John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Modern GPSes Reply with quote

Mike W/Gang:

I really do not know why GPS coverage is lost with no explanation. However, over the years I have experienced blank spots that lasted, usually, about 30 minutes at a time while flying cross country at about 80 mph or more ground speed. That would equate to about a 40 mile diameter circle, or distance.

I think it was 2005, we were flying to the Outer Banks in NC on the way to the Kolb Flyin. There were 5 of us Kolbs in the flight. I know John W and I lost GPS coverage at the same time and for the same distance. I thought I had a bad antenna or coax cable. Just prior to arriving Trenton, SC, the GPS coverage returned. No turbulence this day.

Another time in Alberta, Canada, lost coverage. Landed on a gravel road, replaced antenna and coax, but still no gps coverage. A few minutes later gps coverage returned.

Other times I have lost gps coverage, but can not remember the details.

Larry C suggested maybe you went inverted and masked the gps antenna momentarily. Did you? Wink

As far as I can remember I have never lost gps coverage in turbulence. My experience only.

Take care,

john h
mkIII

[quote]
That was me that stated that before. You are entitled to any opinion you want. How do I know it was turbulence that caused the coverage to go out

Seeing as how I was there,and I was watching the GPS, and riding the bumps, that's the conclusion that I came to.

Mike Welch

[b]

Titus, Alabama
slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Modern GPSes Reply with quote

If you want to get down to bare bones, I have an eTrex (that can be bought now for mini $$$) that will do what is reallynecessary. Tells you which way to point, how many miles left, groundspeed, altitude.
Works fine. A whole lot better than an Omni. (remember them things?)
only drawback is not being a genuine aviation gps so entering coordinates is a PITA
-no purty pictures though.
BB
(gizmos not my thing, bet ya couldn't tell)

On 16, Sep 2009, at 11:56 PM, John Hauck wrote:
Quote:
Mike W/Gang:

Didn't know the conversation was confined to a few.

Guess I missed something. My 196 clearly defines all airspace, even D and C. Just doesn't do it in color.

Must have gotten this limited conversation mixed up with somebody asking about being able to see better in sun light with a 296 compared to the GPS they were currently using, I believe a grey scale model.

Wasn't defending the 196. Simply sharing the fact that it does the job in many different aviation environments. And...we don't have to spend a bundle to do some serious flying.

I don't think you have flown with the 196, have you?

It doesn't have terrain avoidance, but I don't fly if I can't see terrain.

And I certainly will not tell anyone else what they need to do, not on the Kolb List. Wink If you read my post correctly, I have not recommended my 196 to anyone.

john h
mkIII

Quote:

A gentleman named Dave asked about upgrading to a 296. It seems the people that offered help to his inquiry were limited to Ellery, Possums, and me (mostly me).
He stated he needed to have Class C and D airspace better identified, because there is a lot of those airspaces in Florida.

He asked if a 296 addresses these issues. (they do) He wasn't asking if anyone has flown all over God's country and back with a 196, and if a 196 is a good GPS. That wasn't the question. He HAS a 196! He was wondering if he upgraded, would he get the functions he needed.
Curious. Why would you feel the need to defend the 196, when that wasn't what he was asking? Maybe you missed his original question.

I am a proponent of everyone expressing their own opinion. It might have been more beneficial if you would have told Dave HE didn't need to upgrade, rather than try to diminish my recommendation. Because you like the 196, is he supposed to just live with it?

Mike Welch
Do Not Archive

To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 19:09:15 -0600

john h
mkIII

Quote:
It is time to move up to the newer 296. Best regards, Mike Welch

ronics.com

Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by get='_new'>Get it now.
Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c

href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Modern GPSes Reply with quote

John H. C

I can't claim to be a GPS antenna expert C and whether or not turbulence could reduce it's
reception C thereby closing down GPS coverage.
  The only thing I do know is that if my Garmin 95XL lost coverage due to a condition like you describe C it did it at point where it coincided with turbulence.

I don't suppose this is the first time a coincidence has ever happened C but it sure appeared that way at the time.  Was it one of those "blank spots" you mention.  Possibly.  I didn't know they had any of them.  Maybe?

No C I wasn't inverted.  Bumps weren't quite that bad.  Fact is C though C now that you mention the size of a blank spot C I'd say it could have been a 40 mile hole.  Coverage returned a couple of times.  Maybe this was a weak spot for reception.  Keep in mind we are talking about earlier GPS models.  The newer ones have many times the dependablity
of the early 1990's models. 

Fortunately C GPSes have come a very long way since those early days.  Even the 196 is far better than my old 95XL.  I usually only had 4 moderate strength satellites(out of a possible Cool.  Turning the unit's antenna significantly affected the bar graph of the signal strength.

Mike Welch

Do not archive

Subject: Re: Kolb-List: Modern GPSes
Date: Wed C 16 Sep 2009 22:07:27 -0600

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;} .ExternalClass BODY.EC_hmmessage {font-family:Verdana;font-size:10pt;} Mike W/Gang:

I really do not know why GPS coverage is lost with no explanation.  However C over the years I have experienced blank spots that lasted C usually C about 30 minutes at a time while flying cross country at about 80 mph or more ground speed.  That would equate to about a 40 mile diameter circle C or distance.

I think it was 2005 C we were flying to the Outer Banks in NC on the way to the Kolb Flyin.  There were 5 of us Kolbs in the flight.  I know John W and I lost GPS coverage at the same time and for the same distance.  I thought I had a bad antenna or coax cable.  Just prior to arriving Trenton C SC C the GPS coverage returned.  No turbulence this day.

Another time in Alberta C Canada C lost coverage.  Landed on a gravel road C replaced antenna and coax C but still no gps coverage.  A few minutes later gps coverage returned.

Other times I have lost gps coverage C but can not remember the details.

Larry C suggested maybe you went inverted and masked the gps antenna momentarily.  Did you?  Wink

As far as I can remember I have never lost gps coverage in turbulence.  My experience only.

Take care C

john h
mkIII

Quote:

That was me that stated that before.  You are entitled to any opinion you want.  How do I know it was turbulence that caused the coverage to go out

Seeing as how I was there Cand I was watching the GPS C and riding the bumps C that's the conclusion that I came to. 

Mike Welch

ronics.com

Hotmail: Free C trusted and rich email servicnew'>Get it now. [quote][b]

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Modern GPSes Reply with quote

Nobody believes me, but I was there.>

Hi Mike,
it is not a matter of believing that you saw what you said you saw but suggesting another explanation. I cannot see that shaking a GPS could cause loss of signal. Pretty easily checked. Shake it.
If you had a radio in your car which stopped working on a bumpy road I don`t think you would put it down to loss of signal. You would go looking for a loose connection somewhere.

Still...you were there

Cheers

Pat
[quote][b]

Dana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Modern GPSes Reply with quote

At 12:16 AM 9/17/2009, robert bean wrote:
Quote:
If you want to get down to bare bones, I have an eTrex (that can be bought now for mini $$$) that will do what is really
necessary. Tells you which way to point, how many miles left, groundspeed, altitude.

Works fine. A whole lot better than an Omni. (remember them things?)

only drawback is not being a genuine aviation gps so entering coordinates is a PITA...

I wrote a program that will create an airport database for any non-aviation Garmin GPS that can accept custom POI's (points of interest). Airports only, no airspace, direct from the FAA online database... saves punching in numbers and has frequency and contact information. I use it with my Garmin 60CSx in my Kolb... I don't own an aviation GPS, and can't justify spending the money for the limited amount of cross country flying I do... hell, when I had my T-Craft I flew all over the eastern US without any electronics at all!

If anybody wants to try it, or wants more info, let me know.

-Dana

--
The early bird catches the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese. [quote][b]

2danglico

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Modern GPSes Reply with quote

My first GPS (on Ellery's recommendation) was a 295. So I never had a greyscale model. But I also have had thoughts of upgrading, after all, the 295 is rather long in tooth, and the 296 offers alot more features.

Then I thought about what I need in a GPS that the 295 doesn't deliver, the answer I came to was, nothing.

John Tempest
Firestar 447

John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Modern GPSes Reply with quote

Mike W/Gang:

I started flying with GPS in 1993, a Garmin 55AVD. In 1994, I flew a 41 day cross country without ever losing GPS coverage. That flight covered a lot of territory. The 55AVD had no moving map.

The 95XL had a tiny moving map.

The 196 was like big screen TV compared to my old GPS units. I believe the screen and unit size is the same as the 296.

What I have noticed over the last 16 years of using GPS on land, air, and sea, is the newer units have much faster processors and the ability to acquire satelites much quicker.

I use a Comant GPS antenna mounted on top of the center section. I bought this antenna in 1993. It works as good as the antenna that comes with the units. I have used this antenna with all three of my GPS units I use in the airplane.

I also use aircraft 12VDC to power the GPS, ICOM A3, and my ANR headset. I hate spending money for batteries.

john h
mkIII

[quote] The newer ones have many times the dependablity
of the early 1990's models.

Fortunately, GPSes have come a very long way since those early days. Even the 196 is far better than my old 95XL. I usually only had 4 moderate strength satellites(out of a possible Cool. Turning the unit's antenna significantly affected the bar graph of the signal strength.

Mike Welch

[b]

Titus, Alabama
Possums

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Modern GPSes Reply with quote

At 08:22 AM 9/17/2009, you wrote:
Quote:

My first GPS (on Ellery's recommendation) was a 295. So I never had
a greyscale model. But I also have had thoughts of upgrading, after
all, the 295 is rather long in tooth, and the 296 offers alot more features.

Then I thought about what I need in a GPS that the 295 doesn't
deliver, the answer I came to was, nothing.

That's what I got - a good ole' outdated 295.

GPS-#3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  119.35 KB
 Viewed:  7387 Time(s)

GPS-#3.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: