Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rivet direction?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helosammy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Rivet direction? Reply with quote

Hello RV-10 builders,
I have just started building. I pretty much jumped right in with both feet and it seems to be going well so far. I have finished the vert stab and am getting ready to start riveting the rudder. I started on the horizontal stab spars while waiting for a replacement rudder stiffener and have come across a bit of a perplexing question, how do I know which way to orient the rivets? It isn’t really clear in the plans, I think they should probably all go the same direction so the side I countersink gives a pretty good clue to the direction a flush rivet goes. Am I correct in thinking they all go the same direction or does it matter? I know for the trailing edges I should alternate direction to help keep things straight. Any insight would help, thanks in advance.

Sam Clark
Lexington Park, MD

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
ricksked(at)embarqmail.co

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Rivet direction? Reply with quote

Sam,With 470 rivets you should try to place the head on the thicker material... Direction has a lot to do with access but if you look real close at the plans it shows direction...learn well here because later you're on your own....Rick SkedN246RS, flyinTech counselor to be
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 21:51:26 -0400
To: <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: RV10-List: Rivet direction?

Hello RV-10 builders,
  I have just started building.  I pretty = much jumped right in with both feet and it seems to be going well so far. I = have finished the vert stab and am getting ready to start riveting the = rudder.  I started on the horizontal stab spars while waiting for a replacement = rudder stiffener and have come across a bit of a perplexing question, how do I = know which way to orient the rivets?  It isn’t really clear in the = plans, I think they should probably all go the same direction so the side I = countersink gives a pretty good clue to the direction a flush rivet goes.  Am I correct in thinking they all go the same direction or does it = matter?  I know for the trailing edges I should alternate direction to help keep = things straight.  Any insight would help, thanks in advance.

Sam Clark
Lexington Park, MD

Quote:
_-=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D _-=3D - The RV10-List Email Forum - _-=3D Use the Matronics List Features Navigator to browse _-=3D the many List utilities such as List Un/Subscription, _-=3D Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, _-=3D Photoshare, and much much more: _-=3D _-=3D --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List _-=3D _-=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D _-=3D - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - _-=3D Same great content also available via the Web Forums! _-=3D _-=3D --> http://forums.matronics.com _-=3D _-=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D _-=3D - List Contribution Web Site - _-=3D Thank you for your generous support! _-=3D -Matt Dralle, List Admin. _-=3D --> http://www.matronics.com/contribution _-=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

kearney

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Rivet direction? Reply with quote

Hi Rick

For clarity, I take it you are referring to the shop (formed) head being on the thicker material. The “button” or factory head holds the thinner material. I only mention this because I remember getting confused about the terminology when I started building.

Cheers

Les

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of ricksked(at)embarqmail.com
Sent: September-17-09 8:05 PM
To: Rv
Subject: Re: Rivet direction?

Sam,

With 470 rivets you should try to place the head on the thicker material... Direction has a lot to do with access but if you look real close at the plans it shows direction...learn well here because later you're on your own....

Rick Sked
N246RS, flyin
Tech counselor to be
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 21:51:26 -0400
To: <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Rivet direction?
Hello RV-10 builders,
I have just started building. I pretty = much jumped right in with both feet and it seems to be going well so far. I = have finished the vert stab and am getting ready to start riveting the = rudder. I started on the horizontal stab spars while waiting for a replacement = rudder stiffener and have come across a bit of a perplexing question, how do I = know which way to orient the rivets? It isn’t really clear in the = plans, I think they should probably all go the same direction so the side I = countersink gives a pretty good clue to the direction a flush rivet goes. Am I correct in thinking they all go the same direction or does it = matter? I know for the trailing edges I should alternate direction to help keep = things straight. Any insight would help, thanks in advance.

Sam Clark
Lexington Park, MD

[quote][b]

kearney

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Rivet direction? Reply with quote

Sam

Here are a couple of things I did to get perfectly straight trailing edges
on my rudder and elevators.

Pix 44 shows how I ensured that the trailing edge wedge was glued securely
to the rudder skin (step 1 page 7-9 of the plans). I reversed one wedge on
top of the wedge to be glued - this gave a flat surface to cleco. To ensure
the wedge was straight and flat, I then held both wedges in place with some
scrap aluminum angle that was clecoed to every hole in the skin.

Pix 39 shows it all clecoed from below).

Pix 201 shows (end on) shows how I clecoed another piece of angle to the
other side when it came time to glue the other side of the rudder on. The
angle ensured that the rudder was glued perfectly straight without any
bowing.

Pix 199 shows an elevator trailing edge all clecoed while the glue was
curing.

After the glue cured, I back riveted the trailing edge as per the plans. In
my case didn't bother alternating the rivets as the trailing edges were all
glued straight.

Cheers

Les
#40643 - Living in f/g hell

Sent: September-17-09 7:51 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Rivet direction?

Hello RV-10 builders,
I have just started building. I pretty much jumped right in with both
feet and it seems to be going well so far. I have finished the vert stab and
am getting ready to start riveting the rudder. I started on the horizontal
stab spars while waiting for a replacement rudder stiffener and have come
across a bit of a perplexing question, how do I know which way to orient the
rivets? It isn't really clear in the plans, I think they should probably
all go the same direction so the side I countersink gives a pretty good clue
to the direction a flush rivet goes. Am I correct in thinking they all go
the same direction or does it matter? I know for the trailing edges I
should alternate direction to help keep things straight. Any insight would
help, thanks in advance.

Sam Clark
Lexington Park, MD

PB160044.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.87 KB
 Viewed:  1241 Time(s)

PB160044.jpg

PB160039.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.77 KB

PB160039.jpg

PC150201.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.58 KB

PC150201.jpg

PC150199.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.25 KB

PC150199.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: