Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

airspeed indicator pitot placement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: airspeed indicator pitot placement Reply with quote

Kolb guys, and specifaically Xtra drivers,

I'm getting close to drilling the underside of my nosecone (like...in a few minuntes),
and I was wondering if anyone has an opinion about the best place to mount the front of the pitot
tube.  I have the following pitot (from Dynon--unheated);

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/heatedAOApilot.php

The "L" shape of this pitot places the intake hole 1 1/2"  (3.8cm) down from the mounting surface.
Can't change that.  My question is;  considering the wedge shape of the Xtra nosecone....
how far ahead of the front edge would you think would be good enough.  One inch?  Two?

I appreciate all input, but please realize the uniqueness of the Xtra nosecone, compared to
other Kolb aircraft.  In other words....just becasue your's may work well on a Firestar, etc, etc,
I don't want to assume it'll work that same way on an Xtra.

Thanks,   Mike Welch

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: airspeed indicator pitot placement Reply with quote

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/heatedAOApilot.php
Thanks, Mike Welch

Mike W/Gang:

Most of us use 5/16" 6061 tubing. Bend it the way we want it, and go fly.

I found a new Kollsman Pitot/Static system for a WWII Stearman Biplane,
still in cosmoline and wrapped in the original oil paper, for $12.00 from
Wag Aero. Mounted it on the right wing lift strut. Works like a charm.

Pitot tube will work in most places you can dream up to mount it.

-Popular is on the apex of the nose cone.

-Wing lift strut works for me.

-Leading edge of a wing.

-Bottom of nose cone.

Sure you want to spend that much money for a pitot tube? Wink

john h
mkIII
hauck's holler, alabama

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: airspeed indicator pitot placement Reply with quote

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.  Re: the cost, I already spent it years ago, back when I
used to make boat-loads of money.  It came with the Dynon D10A EFIS I have.
(I bought 5, since they were such a good deal...I have two remaining, using one on
the Kolb)

My concern is.....if you place it in "disturbed" air (like that bouncing off the leading
edge of the nosecone), the you're going to get an inaccurate reading.  I realize just
about any ol' place on the airplane would work okay, I was just wondering if anybody
has found out what it takes to get 'out ahead' of that split airstream hitting the leading
edge of the Xtra nosecone.

I went out in my shop and held the pitot 'roughly' in position.  It looks to me like
1" ahead could be okay.  (It's ALWAYS at least 1 1/2" down).  The problem with it
sticking out in front of the nosecone is it will be a great knee catcher!!

My thinking is 1" in front of the leading edge would be fine, 1 1/2" would be more
than I need.  The final ram air point would end up at ...1" ahead & 1 1/2" down from
the leading edge.

My apprehension is I don't want to start cutting holes in the nosecone, only find out
I should have done it differently.

Mike Welch 

[quote][b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: airspeed indicator pitot placement Reply with quote

Mike/Folks:

Probably the best place for pitot performance is right on the apex of the
forward end of the nose cone, but like you said, it takes a beating from
everyone that passes by, especially little kids that can reach up and hang
on it. When we used 5/16 or 1/4 tubing, we spliced a piece of polyurethane
tubing to allow the pitot tube to bend without breaking.

I have flown with a 2" X 5/16 pitot tube in the nose of the nose cone.
Worked great.

Seems like the nose cone might produce a bow wave off it, but I do not know
for sure.

If I was going with the Dynon System, I would put it on the leading edge of
the wing between the mid point and the outboard end. Out of the way from
spectators and flying in clean air. Check out a DeHavilland Beaver or
Otter. That is where they place their pitot/static system.

john h
mkIII
hauck's holler, alabama
My concern is.....if you place it in "disturbed" air (like that bouncing
off the leading
edge of the nosecone), the you're going to get an inaccurate reading. I
realize just
about any ol' place on the airplane would work okay, I was just wondering if
anybody
has found out what it takes to get 'out ahead' of that split airstream
hitting the leading
edge of the Xtra nosecone.
Mike Welch

Titus, Alabama

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: airspeed indicator pitot placement Reply with quote

> Probably the best place for pitot performance is right on the apex of the
Quote:
forward end of the nose cone
john h
mkIII
hauck's holler, alabama

John, and others,

My favorite preference would be the apex of the nosecone.  While I was
waiting for replies, I did a 'google' search and came across a guy that was
installing the exact same pitot (Dynon) in his Zenith high-wing airplane.

I don't know where he got his pitot installation directions, but he mentions he
was supposed to put his pitot inlet 6" below the wing, etc, etc.  He built
an airfoil shaped extension that slid on the notched area of the Dynon pitot.
He says he ended up with only a 4" extension (in addition to that other 1 1/2"??). 
Maybe he got 5 1/2" overall.  (I can't re-find him to verify any of the perticulars.....)

I'm thinking I'm going to try to build one of those airfoil shaped extensions.
That way I can lower the inlet, rather than go too far forward.   BTW, the extension
would look like a Kolb plastic wing strut airfoils, only smaller, and a lot shorter, and
made out of aluminum.

Thanks for letting me bounce all these ideas off ya.  Headed out to my shop
to see what I can come up with.

Mike Welch

PS.  Boy, we had a windstorm blow in here a couple of hours ago.  COLD, and the wind
is ahowlin'!!!  They say maybe snow in a few hours.  It if does, it'll be flying sideways at 40!!
[quote][b]

kuffel(at)cyberport.net

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: airspeed indicator pitot placement Reply with quote

Mike,

<< place it in "disturbed" air (like that bouncing off the leading edge of the nosecone), the you're going to get an inaccurate reading. My apprehension is I don't want to start cutting holes in the nosecone, only find out I should have done it differently. >>

Standard practice says probes mounted on leading edges should be at least as far forward as the radius of the mounting surface. Know from direct experience mounting a dual tube pitot/static probe directly on the front of the nose of a Mark IIIC which violates this practice produces massively inaccurate airspeed indications (low). For a Dynon "L" why not try to emulate a wing mounting and try several inches *behind* the nose tip. For minimum messing with your cone you could experiment with soft bent aluminum tube and ShoeGoo to see if 5" or 10" etc puts the probe in relatively smooth air. I would start with as far back as reasonable. You want the probe to be below a relatively flat surface (as in a wing mount) so the air is not accelerating at the probe tip. The probe and mounting surface don't have to be horizontal, just relatively parallel to each other.

Tom Kuffel
Whitefish, MT

[quote][b]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:38 am    Post subject: airspeed indicator pitot placement Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the help.  After I last replied to John H, I went out to my shop
and built an extension that lowers the pitot inlet 4".  So now, with the normal
1 1/2" "L" drop, and my added 4" drop, I end up with 5 1/2" down from the
mounting surface.

It looks to me like that 5 1/2" lower, and maybe 1" ahead of the front of the
nosecone should be sufficient to be ahead of the 'bow wave', especially considering
the wedgie shape of the Xtra nosecone.

I got the extension mostly finished last night.  The only thing left is to cleco on
the nosecone, raise to tail to approx. flying position, and get a fairly close idea of
the angle between the underside surface of the nosecone, and the slipstream.
  Once I have a good idea of the angle, I can cut the extension's lower edge to
make the pitot point toward the best in-coming air.

I'll take a picture and post it later. 

Thanks again, Tom, for your pointers.

Mike Welch

To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Kolb-List: airspeed indicator pitot placement
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 22:20:19 -0700

Mike,

<< place it in "disturbed" air (like that bouncing off the leading edge of the nosecone), the you're going to get an inaccurate reading.   My apprehension is I don't want to start cutting holes in the nosecone, only find out I should have done it differently. >>

Standard practice says probes mounted on leading edges should be at least as far forward as the radius of the mounting surface.  Know from direct experience mounting a dual tube pitot/static probe directly on the front of the nose of a Mark IIIC which violates this practice produces massively inaccurate airspeed indications (low).  For a Dynon "L" why not try to emulate a wing mounting and try several inches *behind* the nose tip.  For minimum messing with your cone you could experiment with soft bent aluminum tube and ShoeGoo to see if 5" or 10" etc puts the probe in relatively smooth air.  I would start with as far back as reasonable.  You want the probe to be below a relatively flat surface (as in a wing mount) so the air is not accelerating at the probe tip.  The probe and mounting surface don't have to be horizontal, just relatively parallel to each other.

Tom Kuffel
Whitefish, MT

[quote]

_blank>www.aeroelectric.com
/" target=_blank>www.buildersbooks.com
=_blank>www.homebuilthelp.com
=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution
arget=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
ttp://forums.matronics.com
[b]

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: airspeed indicator pitot placement Reply with quote

preference would be the apex of the nosecone>>
Hi Mike,
if you do, cut the tube off about an inch or so from the nose cone. Push a short length of plastic tube over the short stump and fit the pitot into the other end of the plastic to make a bendable joint.
If you don`t someone will walk by and snap off or bend the tube or if you are really unlucky, tear the fitting right out of the nose cone.

Cheers

Pat
[quote][b]

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: airspeed indicator pitot placement Reply with quote

The "L" shape of this pitot places ....>>

Hi Mike,

I fitted the pitot under the nose cone as plans and although it seemed to work OK I wiped it off 3 times standing the Xtra on its nose while learning to fly the plane. ( I missed the training wheel).
I then fitted it to the top of the nose cone but it didn`t seem to be very accurate. John H suggested the root of the flying strut about 4 inches from the fuselage. That worked just about the same. I suspect that it is not very accurate but I just live with it The GPS provides any ground speed I want and the only time that I really need airspeed is the approach and landing and as I suspect with most people the angle of the needle rather than the figure which it is pointing is what you work on. That and the seat of your pants.

Incidentally if you want a good laugh.

During the summer I flew in a Rans with a guy while in France on holiday. We took off and I noticed, sort of subconsciously that during the climb out he seemed to be flying much faster than I do in the Xtra. I didnt have my bifocal glasses with which I usually fly and couldn`t see the numbers on the ASI but the angle of the needle seemed wrong. Halfway up the climb out the Frenchman gestured for me to take over. I did and hauled back on the stick to bring the climb back to my usual speed. There was a shout of `Merde!` from the other seat and a hairy arm shot out and forced the nose down. I had totally forgotten that the speed was not calibrated in mph or even knots but in kilometers. I had pulled the nose up in a fully loaded machine on a hot afternoon climbing hard from a small field and dropped the speed back to about 30 mph. The quick action of the pilot kept us flying but we must have been right on the edge of a stall and no doubt a spin ending in a crash. i flew around perfectly OK for about an hour but I noticed that the guys hand was never far from the stick. That put a dent in the old entente cordial I bet. How stupid . Just shows that old man gravity is waiting all the time for you to make that silly misjudgement.

Cheers

Pat
[quote][b]

by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: airspeed indicator pitot placement Reply with quote

I'm getting close to drilling the underside of my nosecone (like...in a few minuntes),
and I was wondering if anyone has an opinion about the best place to mount the front of the pitot
tube. I have the following pitot (from Dynon--unheated);

Thanks, Mike Welch

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i am probably too late to be of help... but i would put it at the rear edge of the nosecone, center, bottom, just before the transition to the fabric. this way the air will have time to stabilize and become a laminar to bottom surface. too close to the leading edge of the nose will be more disturbed, and you would have to have a forward extension to clear the high pressure bubble at that location.

my 2 cents worth

boyd young

[quote][b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: airspeed indicator pitot placement Reply with quote

---

Titus, Alabama
slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: airspeed indicator pitot placement Reply with quote

Boyd, well said. I stuck mine under the nose and only wiped it off once. Doesn't make much difference your skill levelwhen you lose the noise maker and plop it into knee deep alfalfa. Trust me, your MkIII will skid along for a few feet with the tail raised.
The plus side is that I replaced it with an improved mount.
Wonderful experiences I've had over the years. Uneventful flying is SOOOOO boring. Smile
BB

On 12, Dec 2010, at 11:59 AM, b young wrote:
Quote:

tube. I have the following pitot (from Dynon--unheated);

Thanks, Mike Welch

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i am probably too late to be of help... but i would put it at the rear edge of the nosecone, center, bottom, just before the transition to the fabric. this way the air will have time to stabilize and become a laminar to bottom surface. too close to the leading edge of the nose will be more disturbed, and you would have to have a forward extension to clear the high pressure bubble at that location.

my 2 cents worth

boyd young

Quote:

href="http://www.aeroelectric.com">www.aeroelectric.com
href="http://www.buildersbooks.com">www.buildersbooks.com
href="http://www.homebuilthelp.com">www.homebuilthelp.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com

Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: airspeed indicator pitot placement Reply with quote

Hauck: << I have flown with a 2" X 5/16 pitot tube in the nose of the nose cone. >>

Mike, John, and All –

One of my Tony Bingelis books says that a pitot tube sticking our 6 inches ahead of the structure (either wing leading edge or nose cone) should be in undisturbed air. So that’s how I did mine. Must be some margin in there, if 2 inches works OK for John H.

Also, I agree with the advice to mount the 5/16 alum tube on a small piece of polyurethane tubing, to allow the pitot tube to bend without breaking. This has saved mine many times. Mine is mounted on the tip of the nosecone, right at knee level.

At airshows, I tell the kids not to stand in front of it because if someone in the cockpit pushes the little red button on the top of the control stick, it fires a laser which will shoot a hole right thru your body.

(hehehe … simple amusements)

Dennis Kirby
Mark-III, 912ul
Sandia Park, NM

[quote][b]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: airspeed indicator pitot placement Reply with quote

> So that’s how I did mine.  Must be some margin in there, if 2 inches works OK for John H.

Quote:
At airshows, I tell the kids not to stand in front of it because if someone in the cockpit pushes the little red button on the top of the >control stick, it fires a laser which will shoot a hole right thru your body.
Dennis Kirby
Mark-III, 912ul
Sandia Park, NM

Hi Dennis,

As I previously mentioned, I'm not using a 5/16" tube, I have a Dynon
pitot tube (see attached photo).  I made the extension, which is the white
part, and that now places the pitot inlet 5 1/4" lower, and about 3/4" ahead
of the Xtra nosecone leading edge.  I would find it difficult to believe that
that location wouldn't work well. (with regard to oncoming air)

Because of the very sharpish nature of the Xtra's nosecone wedge, I can't
imagine it produces very much of a bow wave like you could expect from a typical
wing leading edge, or possibly like that on a MkIII Classic's more round nosecone.

Regarding having it bumped at airshows, etc.  First of all, I'll have a 'remove before flight'
tube slid over it, with an extra 3-4" of foam rubber, making it LOOK like it sticks out 5".
Secondly, maybe I can build a little taser circuit that will dissaude kids from kicking it.
Nothing funnier than watching a 10 year old holding onto 20K volts.

"Teach a boy electricity, and he can electrify the world.  Hook a boy UP to electricity,
and HE'LL be electrified for the rest of his life."    (just kiddding)

Mike Welch
MkIII

Quote:

_blank>www.aeroelectric.com
/" target=_blank>www.buildersbooks.com
=_blank>www.homebuilthelp.com
=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution
arget=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
ttp://forums.matronics.com

airspeed_pitot_mount_005.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  115.47 KB
 Viewed:  5265 Time(s)

airspeed_pitot_mount_005.jpg

lcottrell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: airspeed indicator pitot placement Reply with quote

Spruce sells a pito tube that you can mount where ever and the tube twists one direction to stay and the other to come out. Allowing you to remove it around klutzes. Its pretty cheap too.
Larry

Note: If you forward this email, please delete the forwarding history, which includes my email address.
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: