Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Happy First Flight Day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickofudall

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: Happy First Flight Day Reply with quote

Wilbur Wright invented flight controls, with Orville invented aircraft propeller theory, and developed the first real flight test program. Until 1908 all the others were just jumping off the roof with an umbrella. Happy First Flight Day folks.

Rick Girard
--
Zulu Delta
Kolb Mk IIIC
582 Gray head
4.00 C gearbox
3 blade WD
Thanks, Homer GBYM
It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
 - G.K. Chesterton

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Wright_telegram_home.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  326.14 KB
 Viewed:  9585 Time(s)

Wright_telegram_home.jpg

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Happy First Flight Day Reply with quote

Wilbur Wright invented flight controls, with Orville invented aircraft propeller theory, and developed the first real flight test program. Until 1908 all the others were just jumping off the roof with an umbrella. Happy First Flight Day folks.>>

<<Until 1908 all the others were just jumping off the roof with an umbrella.>>

Whoa there!

I think that is going a bit far. The Wrights may have made the first REPORTED controlled, sustained flight but there were plenty of others in there with claims.

Richard Pearse in New Zealand made a pretty good flight in March `03. Some months before the Wrights. He crashed into the top of a gorse hedge 12 ft high so he was at least off the ground.

There are records that a Frenchman, Felix du Temple, made a flight powered by a steam flash boiler in 1874.

Trouble is with the definitions. Define controlled. Fly in a circle maybe? Define powered. Does being launched by catapult count?.Define sustained. 10 seconds? 20? 30?

Several people had got the theory of flight pretty well buttoned down before the Wrights and had defined Lift, drag and produced airofoils. Phillips in England is reported to have had a wind tunnel into which he injected steam the see the airflow in 1884.

There is no doubt that the Wrights got it all together but what they did best was promoting themselves. In true American fashion they realised the value of publicity. Even in that first telegram the main phrase is `inform the newspapers`. I am not knocking it. Its no good building a better mousetrap if no one knows about it.

The Wrights did a great job and their names are in the history books and that is what everyone accepts.However they didn`t just conjure all this out of thin air and a bit of credit for the guys whose shoulders they stood on would not go amiss

Cheers

Pat
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Happy First Flight Day Reply with quote

How-a-bout that sea foam eh?

--

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Happy First Flight Day Reply with quote

Right on!

coat your VGs with sea foam and your Kolb will levitate vertically.
Santa coats it on his reindeer.
do not archive

On 18, Dec 2010, at 8:49 AM, zeprep251(at)aol.com (zeprep251(at)aol.com) wrote:
[quote] How-a-bout that sea foam eh?

--

Dennis Thate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Happy First Flight Day Reply with quote

From their original notes, it would seem PR was very important.

diary_entry.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  225.3 KB
 Viewed:  9555 Time(s)

diary_entry.jpg

rickofudall

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Happy First Flight Day Reply with quote

Pat, Controlled flight, the ability to maneuver the aircraft in all three axis at the will of the pilot. No one else had demonstrated this, ever, before the Wrights. Proof of this is simply the reaction of the French when Wilbur flew there in 1908. Before this the French press had spent three years speculating on whether the Wrights were "fliers or liars". One flight of two minutes, in which Wilbur flew in a figure 8, was all that it took to convince the French press and the rest of the world that they were doing something substantially different from everyone else. Catapults, there was none when the flights of December 17th 1903 were made. There was a launching rail, nothing more. The catapult was added when they moved their flight testing to Huffman Prairie. Without the winds of Kitty Hawk the launching rail grew to over 250 feet in length. If the wind direction changed it had to be taken up and relaid. The catapult allowed the launching rail to be short enough to be moved in a reasonable time to accommodate the wind.

Rick

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 8:17 AM, robert bean <slyck(at)frontiernet.net (slyck(at)frontiernet.net)> wrote:
[quote] Right on!

coat your VGs with sea foam and your Kolb will levitate vertically.
Santa coats it on his reindeer.
do not archive

On 18, Dec 2010, at 8:49 AM, zeprep251(at)aol.com (zeprep251(at)aol.com) wrote:

[quote] How-a-bout that sea foam eh?

--

aoldman(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Happy First Flight Day Reply with quote

Now Pat that's a bit like telling a American they did not invent apple pie.
My kolb is hangered at Richard Pearse airport in South Canterbury . There are believers and non believers here as well .If there is any interest I can post some material on Richard Pearse and his airoplane. It was advanced in that it did have elevator and rudder control and roll was controlled by flaps set into the wing. The engine was a horizontally opposed twin with each cylinder firing in both directions { Pat may remember a Austin truck engine that was set up much the same way in the 50s } The engine did work as I have done some work on a replica and taxied it around .
I personally believe the concept to be sound but the aircraft may have been effected by propeller torque with out enough rudder authority to keep the aircraft flying straight.
Weather just coming right here now 33c yesterday.Pat I will now be over your way in June . Staying a few days in Newquay. Unfortunatly will not be there for long before we fly out again.
I am hoping to get some Kolb time in this week as I will be away boating for a couple of weeks from Friday

Regards to all.
Have a merry Xmas and happy new year and safe flying to all .
Downunder
MK111c

[quote][b]

captainron1(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Happy First Flight Day Reply with quote

The Wrights did a great job and their names are in the history books and that is what everyone accepts.However they didn`t just conjure all this out of thin air and a bit of credit for the guys whose shoulders they stood on would not go amiss

Cheers

Pat
===================================
Hey Pat take it easy brother, just remember the Wrights were English in origin so you Brits can certainly take credit for that, as in "if it wasn't for us brits you Yankee Bastards wouldn't even have the Wright brothers, and the Kolb". As far as shoulders to stand on you gotta give the most credit to their Mom and Pops and Gulliver.

Bahmbug!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Happy First Flight Day Reply with quote

<<aircraft may have been effected by propeller torque ..>>

Hi,
I have seen what is supposed to be Pearses plane in Auckland Museum. Didn`t think much of the prop at all. As I remember it looked as though he had pinched it from the farm wind pump.

I shall be showing an American friend around the Normandy beaches about June 6th. If you are here later in the month we might arrange a meeting. If you let me have your dates I will let you know if there are any fly ins in that area in any case.

33 degrees?. Yee Ha. I have driven very tentatively through the snow this morning to put some props under my hangar roof. More snow forecast.

This time last year I was heading for a month on the beach in the Bay of Islands
Cheers
[quote][b]

lhaggerty(at)tampabay.rr.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Happy First Flight Day Reply with quote

Please keep it Kolb related
---- Pat Ladd <pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com> wrote:
Quote:

Ever hear of a Gustave Whitehead ?

Hi Jim,

that is completely new to me.The article makes interesting reading.
I am sure that there were many unsung heroes who were on the verge of
flying around that time and either never made it or their records, like
Whiteheads were overlooked. There is certainly such a thing as `an idea
whose time has come` and inventions all over the world emerge more or less
simultaneously. A strange phenomenon, particularly in a world were instant
communication does not exist.
I didn`t intend to denigrate the work that the Wrights did but the bit about
`before them everyone just jumped of buildings with umbrellas` stuck in my
craw.
It is difficult to go against `what everyone knows`. It is impossible to
convince anyone that radar was a British invention. `Everyone knows` the
Americans invented it.. Of course we called it `radiolocation` and had it
working (just about) before the war. Then we gave the secret to the US as
good allies and they developed it and called it `Radar`. It is obvious that
`radar` is a much more marketable and easily remembered name and so a myth
is born.
Publicity is all.

Cheers

Pat

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Happy First Flight Day Reply with quote

Opinions may vary but the observation of first flight is not up for debate. These pioneers, the wrights and their contemporaries
got us where we are today. I give them a grateful and hearty salute.
BB

On 19, Dec 2010, at 2:17 PM, <lhaggerty(at)tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

Quote:

Please keep it Kolb related

---- Pat Ladd <pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>
> Ever hear of a Gustave Whitehead ?
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> that is completely new to me.The article makes interesting reading.
> I am sure that there were many unsung heroes who were on the verge of
> flying around that time and either never made it or their records, like
> Whiteheads were overlooked. There is certainly such a thing as `an idea
> whose time has come` and inventions all over the world emerge more or less
> simultaneously. A strange phenomenon, particularly in a world were instant
> communication does not exist.
> I didn`t intend to denigrate the work that the Wrights did but the bit about
> `before them everyone just jumped of buildings with umbrellas` stuck in my
> craw.
> It is difficult to go against `what everyone knows`. It is impossible to
> convince anyone that radar was a British invention. `Everyone knows` the
> Americans invented it.. Of course we called it `radiolocation` and had it
> working (just about) before the war. Then we gave the secret to the US as
> good allies and they developed it and called it `Radar`. It is obvious that
> `radar` is a much more marketable and easily remembered name and so a myth
> is born.
> Publicity is all.
>
> Cheers
>
> Pat
>
>
>
>
>

aoldman(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Happy First Flight Day Reply with quote

No Pat not true, I knew you guys got there first . Just think the world owes
TV to the limmys
Downunder
MK111c

aoldman(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Happy First Flight Day Reply with quote

Stand behind it at 800 rpm . It sure shifts some air
[quote][b]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject: Happy First Flight Day Reply with quote

just remember the Wrights were English in origin>>

Hi Ron,
I thought you all were, well at least European which is the next best thing.

Goodnight Dick!

Cheers mate

have a good Christmas (Starting to snow again. Looks like 2 for Christmas
instead of the planned 10) Ho Ho Ho

Pat

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Happy First Flight Day Reply with quote

Pat,

My Kolb is not stealthy and therefore is easily seen on RADAR which all the books I've read in America on the subject say was invented by the British. So, those Americans who read reliable sources already know this to be true and don't need convincing.

do not archive

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous

Last edited by Thom Riddle on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
pc.king(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Happy First Flight Day Reply with quote

EAA recently aired a webinar on flight before the Wrights. It discussed the early pioneers referenced here as well as the French.

www.eaa.org/webinars

Webinars are taped and made available for replay. Click on the archives button to replay the event. Top off your cup of coffee. It's 84 minutes long.

PCKing

[quote] ---

by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Happy First Flight Day Reply with quote

No Pat not true, I knew you guys got there first . Just think the world owes
TV to the limmys
Downunder
MK111c

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

can we get back to talking about kolbs...

1st i am not sure how this subject line is KOLB related
2nd what ever happened to DO NOT ARCHIVE for messages that don't benefit kolb enthusiasts.

if a few of you would like to discuss this please do so direct and not on the list.
on the top of every message is the senders email address,,,, copy & paste into a new message, PLEASE,,, or am i the only one getting tired of this subject?

boyd
[quote][b]

GeoB

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Happy First Flight Day Reply with quote

Quote:
Just think the world owes TV to the limmys. Would that be credit or blame?
IMHO, blame, except for Benny Hill of course.

"Members of Congress should be compelled to wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: