Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When is balance balanced?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MCGUYVER

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: When is balance balanced? Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Did you ever get the answer you were looking for? I have a MKIII Xtra with balanced ailerons only, the elevators and rudder are not balanced and do not need to be. The balancers you describe sound like the ones I used on my ailerons! If you would like some pictures let me know off line and I will send you some. My e-mail is guyandjodi(at)bvillemn.net (guyandjodi(at)bvillemn.net) . I don’t spend as much time on the list as I would like to, too many projects not enough time, but I would be glad to help you with this if I can. I see by your tail pictures you have the original MKIII Xtra horizontal stabilizer (4 corner) that’s the one I have on my Xtra.

Let me know if I can help.
Guy

--

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Mike Welch

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: When is balance balanced? Reply with quote

Hi Guy,

Yes, I did make and install the spades/balancers.  I also finished both fiberglass
drooped wingtips, and installed them, too.  In fact, the whole plane is 'almost' done.

I will send you an email so you can send me back some photos of your balancers.  I'd
really like to see what you did!!  On mine, with everything unhooked and the ailerons
hanging loose, when I clecoed on the balancers, they hung in balance perfectly, both of
them.

One thing that really surprised me was how much more noticeable the stick movement
became.  All these years, with no balancers, I was used to a relatively light stick movement,
left and right.  But, after installing the balancers, I was surprised to find that they were VERY
noticeable.  I guess this would make sense, though, since adding the weight of the balancers
almost doubled the mass of the ailerons alone.  Still, I just thought it was odd.....    Not used
to it, I guess.
  The heavier stick forces SHOULD go away as the plane takes flight.  The spade part of the
balancer is supposed to reduce the stick forces.

Mike Welch
in sweltering MO
MkIII N212MN
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: When is balance balanced?
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 00:10:26 -0500

.ExternalClass p.ecxMsoNormal, .ExternalClass li.ecxMsoNormal, .ExternalClass div.ecxMsoNormal {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass a:link, .ExternalClass span.ecxMsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass a:visited, .ExternalClass span.ecxMsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass p {margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass p.ecxNormalWeb1, .ExternalClass li.ecxNormalWeb1, .ExternalClass div.ecxNormalWeb1 {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass span.ecxEmailStyle19 {font-family:Arial;color:navy;} (at)page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in;} .ExternalClass div.ecxSection1 {page:Section1;}
Hi Mike,

Did you ever get the answer you were looking for? I have a MKIII Xtra with balanced ailerons only, the elevators and rudder are not balanced and do not need to be. The balancers you describe sound like the ones I used on my ailerons!  If you would like some pictures let me know off line and I will send you some. My e-mail is guyandjodi(at)bvillemn.net (guyandjodi(at)bvillemn.net) . I don’t spend as much time on the list as I would like to, too many projects not enough time, but I would be glad to help you with this if I can. I see by your tail pictures you have the original MKIII Xtra horizontal stabilizer (4 corner) that’s the one I have on my Xtra.

Let me know if I can help.
Guy

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: When is balance balanced? Reply with quote

Just a note on balance weights.The most dense material I have ever seen is Mallory metal,used by the the speed shops for adding balance weight to crankshafts.It is almost double the weight of steel.
G.Aman MK3 C Jabiru 2200A 625hrs

--

byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: When is balance balanced? Reply with quote

Just a note on balance weights.The most dense material I have ever seen is Mallory metal,used by the the speed shops for adding balance weight to crankshafts.It is almost double the weight of steel.
G.Aman MK3 C Jabiru 2200A 625hrs

or if you can determine the weight needed,,,,, melt some lead and pour in a steel tube. i would have to try,,,, you could line the steel tube/ mold, with some thin silicone surfaced paper, the stuff that wont stick to sticky labels.... and maybe you could create a round lead bar after sliding it out of the pipe and then cut to length. or maybe pour it in a piece of drilled out wood dowel rod. and cut the lead out. then carve it to fit into your counter balance.

boyd
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: