Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drawing Z-13/20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stickandrudder1(at)comcas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Drawing Z-13/20 Reply with quote

Bob, just curious. What was the reason drawing Z-13/20 was omitted from revision 12 of AEC?
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
stickandrudder1(at)comcas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Drawing Z-13/20 Reply with quote

Forget my question (if you haven’t done so already) regarding why Z-13/20 went away with Revision 12 of AEC. I found my answer. I’m getting this Matronics Email-Serve thing figured out (i.e. search – Duh!). You must have the patience of Job, being asked the same question over and over.

That said, I did an analysis of Z-12, and it is quite similar to Z-13/20 with a few notable exceptions. I have a couple of questions and observations regarding Z-12.

The field for both alternators is fed from the main bus. If the Aux alternator field was fed from the E-Bus, it would provide battery current should the Battery Contactor Fail (however unlikely), with no apparent downside to the overall design, other than the E-Bus alternate feed would need to be switched on. Am I reading this right, or is there more to it? This brings up a more basic question.

What is the intended normal operating position of the E-Bus Alternate Feed Switch? It would seem that it could be operated in the “On” position (enabled to provide battery power “when” the battery contactor fails) or Off position (requiring it to be turned on “when” the contactor fails).

The Z-12 design powers both the main and E-Bus from both alternators. Does this assume the pilot will shed load (if necessary) from the main bus necessary to stay below the output of the backup alternator in order to save the battery, until those devices are required for approach and landing?

Bob, I’m sure you know that when we ask these questions, it’s because (hopefully) we are thinking, which is a good thing. I’m sure you’re beyond taking challenges/questioning of your designs personally. I for one really appreciate you taking the time to answer questions and being here to educate.

Thanks

Paul

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Drawing Z-13/20 Reply with quote

At 10:39 PM 7/18/2011, you wrote:
Quote:
Forget my question (if you haven’t done so already) regarding why Z-13/20 went away with Revision 12 of AEC. I found my answer. I’m getting this Matronics Email-Serve thing figured out (i.e. search – Duh!). You must have the patience of Job, being asked the same question over and over.

It happens in every classroom semester after semester . . .

Quote:

That said, I did an analysis of Z-12, and it is quite similar to Z-13/20 with a few notable exceptions. I have a couple of questions and observations regarding Z-12.

The field for both alternators is fed from the main bus. If the Aux alternator field was fed from the E-Bus, it would provide battery current should the Battery Contactor Fail (however unlikely), with no apparent downside to the overall design, other than the E-Bus alternate feed would need to be switched on. Am I reading this right, or is there more to it? This brings up a more basic question.

If the battery contactor fails -AND- you stall
the alternator -AND- assuming it won't come up
self-excited only -THEN- are you limited to what
runs off the e-bus from energy contained in a
well-maintained battery.

I'm told that belt driven alternators running at
10 KRPM will, for the most part, come up self
excited.

Quote:

What is the intended normal operating position of the E-Bus Alternate Feed Switch? It would seem that it could be operated in the “On” position (enabled to provide battery power “when” the battery contactor fails) or Off position (requiring it to be turned on “when” the contactor fails).

The original idea was to close the e-bus
alternate feed during pre-flight to test
the path (an perhaps get clearance delivery
and ATIS). Then leave it off for remainder
of flight.

Quote:

The Z-12 design powers both the main and E-Bus from both alternators. Does this assume the pilot will shed load (if necessary) from the main bus necessary to stay below the output of the backup alternator in order to save the battery, until those devices are required for approach and landing?

Correct. Z-12 was included in the Z-figures not
so much because it was recommended for new design.
It's an example of how the SD-20 can be added to
and existing Z-11 style system (typical of most
TC aircraft). Z-12 is installed in hundreds of
TC aircraft as a factory options or aftermarket
kit.

However, Z-12 is a perfectly practical way to integrate
the SD-20 into a single battery, two alternator system
whether by system upgrade or new construction. MUCH
preferred over the abortive Z-13/20. If one is inclined
to dual batteries, then Z-14 is a seamless way to
get the two alternators wired up.

Quote:

Bob, I’m sure you know that when we ask these questions, it’s because (hopefully) we are thinking, which is a good thing.

Absolutely!

Quote:
I’m sure you’re beyond taking challenges/questioning of your designs personally. I for one really appreciate you taking the time to answer questions and being here to educate.

A recipe for success built from the minimum
numbers of simple-ideas defends itself. If
a recipe has errors of fact in logic or performance,
it needs to be fixed . . .

The teacher's worst nightmare is to discover a long
history of promoting a bad idea for lack of
study or errors in perception. Propagandists don't
concern themselves with such things.

Bob . . . [quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: