Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

replacement carb rubber connector boots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
occom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: replacement carb rubber connector boots Reply with quote

For those who vaguely remember my question about these I have received a set of connector rubber boots from JBM Industries today. JBM appear quick to do business with and accurate in their shipments. So no problems there. Delivery times to the frozen wilds of summertime Nova Scotia are average.

The boots themselves are clearly not the same material as the Rotax ones, and may be slightly thicker on the outside where the flexing and cracking takes place on the originals. All other dimensions are about the same. There is some flash from the moulding process on the ID that I might want to remove, but it's so very small that it likely wouldn't matter. They are not a lot more rigid than the Rotax ones so I can't imagine any additional vibration induced carb problem. You'll want to make sure the screen is in place around the main jet tube to keep bubbles down with either boot.

With my experience on motorcycles as a background I would expect the new boots to provide reasonable service but get somewhat stiffer with age. In any case I will install them when the ones I was gifted wear out. If you need new boots the company seems to live up to their promises, providing a quick, well priced aftermarket alternative and appear to be worth a try. If I experience any down side to these over the next couple of years, I'll report back.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement carb rubber connector boots Reply with quote

Do these have the insets for the "O" rings? If they are stiffer then they may transmit more vibration not reduce it. If they are stiffer they may also crack sooner. Do they have the recessed ridges on the inside that mate up with the ridges on the carb?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: replacement carb rubber connector boots Reply with quote

I, too, have to replace the cable boots. Mine are two years old, Rotax, and have cracked without even running the engine. I will order from JBM. Thanks for the story.

Bill Sullivan
      Windsor Locks, Ct.
      Kolb Firestar, 447

--- On Wed, 7/20/11, Dave <occom(at)ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

Quote:

Subject: replacement carb rubber connector boots
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com, rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Wednesday, July 20, 2011, 6:20 PM

For those who vaguely remember my question about these I have received a set of connector rubber boots from JBM Industries today. JBM appear quick to do business with and accurate in their shipments. So no problems there. Delivery times to the frozen wilds of summertime Nova Scotia are average.

The boots themselves are clearly not the same material as the Rotax ones, and may be slightly thicker on the outside where the flexing and cracking takes place on the originals. All other dimensions are about the same. There is some flash from the moulding process on the ID that I might want to remove, but it's so very small that it likely wouldn't matter. They are not a lot more rigid than the Rotax ones so I can't imagine any additional vibration induced carb problem. You'll want to make sure the screen is in place around the main jet tube to keep bubbles down with either boot.

With my experience on motorcycles as a background I would expect the new boots to provide reasonable service but get somewhat stiffer with age. In any case I will install them when the ones I was gifted wear out. If you need new boots the company seems to live up to their promises, providing a quick, well priced aftermarket alternative and appear to be worth a try. If I experience any down side to these over the next couple of years, I'll report back.
Quote:

ist" target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
=nofollow>http://forums.matronics.com
blank rel=nofollow>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

occom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: replacement carb rubber connector boots Reply with quote

I think the insets for O rings apply to the 912 items, on the face of the
bolt flange. I am running a 582 so I can't tell you. The ones I have do have
all the ridges to mate up with the ones on the carbs and I do not think they
are stiffer when new, they appear to be made from a material that I have
seen before that does get stiffer with age. I'm fairly comfortable that the
mass of two carbs and an air cleaner assy. will not vibrate more with these,
it's one of the things I wondered about as fuel frothing is an issue on the
two strokes if you leave the screen out from around the main jet. All in all
it appears to be a good product, I won't be able to verify without a couple
of years trial.

[quote] --

ricklach

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: replacement carb rubber connector boots Reply with quote

I replaced the Rotax carb-mounts with the JBM mounts two years ago and they have and are doing just fine. As you said "occom", JBM shipped promptly with a product that in every way matched the Rotax part at a competitive price. I would recommend them to anyone.

Rick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: