Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re Oil - Aeroshell Sport Plus 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterthomson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: Re Oil - Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

I am with Ross on this (after initial scepticism with the oil).

My oil analyses on second oil change of Plus 4 best ever in 700 hrs.

Peter
CH701/912ULS
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
ronlee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Re Oil - Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

What had you been using before?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Re Oil - Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

Hi Ron,

It's been a while. How have you been? In the air much? Come on over to Ryan and I'll buy you breakfast. You should come to The Page, AZ Fly-In this year too. We have some others that fly your cruise speed. We may have sold out on reservation, maybe 1-2 rooms left. Give me a call.

One issue with Aero Shell with me is, when a company with as little time on the market as Aero Shell Sport Plus 4 has and then they say they are going to completely reformulate (new base stock and double the ZDDP), well that has my full attention as to why they think they need to completely
re-formulate their own product.

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
Dick Maddux

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Re Oil - Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

Roger,
This ZDDP thing is a big deal in the old British and American car world. It was added to the oil as a sacrificial wear molecule for flat tappet engines.(modern engines have a different design) Without it the cam lobes wear at a high rate.
The motor oil industry has recently reformulated the motor oils to include less ZDDP because of its effects on the catalytic converter. As a result of this you either have to find an oil that still has the higher amounts of ZDDP(such as Valvoline one racing oil) or add it yourself. In my case I am using Castrol 20-50 in my Triumph TR3 but now add a small bottle of ZDDP at each oil change.
It is interesting to note that the articles I have read about the subject fail to mention that ZDDP in high amounts is necessary for anything other than lifter/cam lobe scuffing. If it is necessary for the gear train/slipper clutch and Aeroshell Plus 4 is deficient in ZDDP you could always add it to the oil. In my case I don't have a slipper clutch and is ZDDP necessary for the gears OR for the cam /valve scuffing.
I have a couple of cases of Aeroshell plus 4 and would be adverse to getting rid of it because it has worked out to be a very good oil.(won't really know till overhaul)None of the other oils were made specifically for the Rotax as Plus 4 was. IF it turns out that in fact more ZDDP is necessary (and if in fact the other oil has it) well..I always have the little bottles of ZDDP available to add in the proper ratio until the oil is reformulated.
      Dick Maddux
      Kitfox 4
      912UL
[quote][b]

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Re Oil - Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

Hi Dick,

How have you been?

Your exactly right about the use of ZDDP in older cars and the fact that when catalytic converters came out it had to be reduced because it trashed the converter, plus the EPA wanted reduced levels. So car oils came down to approximately 800ppm. This is the exact reason we don't use car oils in our Rotax. So why use a motorcycle oil with car level ZDDP? Older cars still need it for the flat tappet lifters. The big issue here is that Rotax 912 engines use flat tappet lifters. The auto industry responded and designed roller cam shafts and don't need all the ZDDP. Without enough ZDDP flat tappet lifters wear out much faster and can gall. There is a lot of stress on flat tappet lifters. Now let's toss in a gearbox that shares our oil. The cars didn't have to worry about the gearbox part. Motorcycle's like our Rotax shares it's engine oil with the engine. The gearbox has a very high mechanical action on the oil's shear properties and very close tolerances as it should, but without the proper levels of ZDDP then you will have excessive gear wear and galling. The ZDDP is a sacrificial coating to prevent this. If you doubt any of this there are thousands of pages of research to back this up on the web. We need to have around 1500ppm to protect our flat tappet lifters and gearbox. Zinc is not necessarily the important part, but the phosphorus is what makes it adhere to the metal. Now ZDDP is just one additive we need so you also need to look at the oil's total additive package.

Dick,

So to answer your question the clutch isn't the important part so if you have one or not it isn't really the issue. The issue is protecting the gears, lifters and other metal to meat close tolerance parts. You may be on to something if you add a little on the side, but I wouldn't get carried away with the ZDDP additive. Too much probably isn't good either.

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
pwmac(at)sisna.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Re Oil - Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

Hi Roger,
Good info, however you should update your knowledge base. the SM
grade oils these days are quite a bit less than 800ppm. Even the
diesel oils these days are way below the 1500ppm that most all
engines require. The general rule is avoid SM oils and try to find SL
oils for your car or just add the ZDDP to what ever SM oil you like.
Optionally use an oil that meets the Euro standard instead of API
standards. That test standard is ACEA and grade E7/E5 would be ok
instead of SM only oils.
For the Rotax the Motorcycle oils are high in ZDDP due to the
requirements for gear lube. Always consult the Rotax bulletin for
acceptable oils. Experimentation on oils is not good.
PaulW
=============
At 07:55 AM 8/23/2011, you wrote:
Quote:

Hi Dick,

How have you been?

Your exactly right about the use of ZDDP in older cars and the fact
that when catalytic converters came out it had to be reduced because
it trashed the converter, plus the EPA wanted reduced levels. So car
oils came down to approximately 800ppm. This is the exact reason we
don't use car oils in our Rotax. So why use a motorcycle oil with
car level ZDDP? Older cars still need it for the flat tappet
lifters. The big issue here is that Rotax 912 engines use flat
tappet lifters. The auto industry responded and designed roller cam
shafts and don't need all the ZDDP. Without enough ZDDP flat tappet
lifters wear out much faster and can gall. There is a lot of stress
on flat tappet lifters. Now let's toss in a gearbox that shares our
oil. The cars didn't have to worry about the gearbox part.
Motorcycle's like our Rotax shares it's engine oil with the engine.
The gearbox has a very high mechanical action on the oil's shear
properties and very close tolerances as it should, but withou!
t the proper levels of ZDDP then you will have excessive gear wear
and galling. The ZDDP is a sacrificial coating to prevent this. If
you doubt any of this there are thousands of pages of research to
back this up on the web. We need to have around 1500ppm to protect
our flat tappet lifters and gearbox. Zinc is not necessarily the
important part, but the phosphorus is what makes it adhere to the
metal. Now ZDDP is just one additive we need so you also need to
look at the oil's total additive package.

Dick,

So to answer your question the clutch isn't the important part so if
you have one or not it isn't really the issue. The issue is
protecting the gears, lifters and other metal to meat close
tolerance parts. You may be on to something if you add a little on
the side, but I wouldn't get carried away with the ZDDP additive.
Too much probably isn't good either.

--------
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
Light Sport Repairman - Maintenance Rated
Rotax Repair Center - Heavy Maint. Rated
Cell 520-349-7056

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=350304#350304

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Re Oil - Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

Howdy Paul,

Thanks, Your correct and that makes my case even stronger. I don't know as much about car oils and I only used it as a reference as to what ZDDP was used for.
The only issue with the Rotax operating fluid oil publication is Rotax openly admits they can only test or even willing to spend the money on testing a couple of oils from around the world. There are so many it is buyer get educated. Since none of us are testing facilities or have access to test the many varieties of oils we all have to depend on what the research is in the field and what the oil companies are willing to talk about.

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Re Oil - Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

I knew before I ever posted this that oil is a hot topic and it's like discussing religion and politics. So I was mentally ready for the fluid discussion. Wink

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
cscsail(at)gmavt.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Re Oil - Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

I just tuned in --- so, what's the bottom line with respect to sport plus 4?
Is it no longer an approved or recommended oil for the 912s?
Gordon
---

JohnF

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Re Oil - Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

Roger,
I did a little searching re ZDDP and the hot-roders are really into it.

If, repeat, IF, my calculations are correct, you can add a ZDDP additive,
available at auto stores, to the Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 at a rate of 1.479
fluid oz to one liter of the oil and come up with 1,500 ppm of ZDDP. I have
a case of Aeroshell on hand and don't want to 'waste' it by not using it
right now in the 912ULS.

Your thoughts?

John at Salida, CO
---

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Re Oil - Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

Hi Dick and John,

See Dick I told you you might be on to something. John's doing the research. Nice work. I do wonder why Aero shell wants to not only change the additives, but the base stock too? They had a foaming issue a while back too they had to correct. Kind of makes you wonder.

p.s.
Hi Gordon,

There is no recommendations and nothing in writing about anything. Everything that was in writing still stands. It is strictly up to you to choose.

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
Dick Maddux

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Re Oil - Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

Roger,
I knew this subject would be a hornets nest ! It is good banter though and some very good info. I hope you will keep us posted on Shell's update. I would like to know when and if the new formulation is available. Until then I may change the oil sooner on my engine rather than later as the ZDDP molecules sacrificed will be in a smaller number.
John,
Thanks for your input as you saved me the calculations of how much ZDDP to add,IF I do.
        Dick Maddux
        912UL
        Milton,Fl

PS: Roger we did our first condition inspection on a CT with 300 hrs. This was a result of the ad I put in the CT newsletter.The owner was thrilled with the results. He didn't have to take it to Lockwood,saved a pile of money and stated later the airplane runs better now than it ever has ! Made me feel good. We found many items that were not properly attended to during earlier inspections. Thanks for all your input !
[quote][b]

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Re Oil - Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

Hi Dick,

I knew to this was a loaded topic so I put on an extra layer of skin, but couldn't see any reason to hold back. I heard that the reformulation won't take place until 2012. I truly don't know about that part and have to relay on higher up source that are more attached to the real issue.

I'm not making anyone change their oil brand or telling anyone they must change. I just got the info and posted it. It's up to each person to make a choice. If I learned something from high up that may harm our plane and didn't post it I would feel negligent, but the responsibility to accept, reject, research or act is up to each person.

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056

Last edited by Roger Lee on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
lucien

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Re Oil - Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

Roger Lee wrote:
Hi Dick,

I too knew this was a loaded topic so I put on an extra layer of skin, but couldn't see any reason to hold back. I heard that the reformulation won't take place until 2012. I truly don't know about that part and have to relay on higher up source that are more attached to the real issue.

I'm not making anyone change their oil brand or telling anyone they must change. I just got the info and posted it. It's up to each person to make a choice. If I learned something from high up that may harm our plane and didn't post it I would feel negligent, but the responsibility to accept, reject, research or act is up to each person.

Ok, just found this thread too. The issue seems to be an additive called ZDDP?

In any case, I'm not bent out of shape about this right now. I'm not flying that much and my oil change intervals are therefore turning out to be pretty short (about 25 hours). My mag plug is coming out clean each time (tho admittedly with a short oil change interval) so nothing is eating itself up inside the engine that I can see.

OTOH, I'd still rather use the most suitable oil available. Perhaps the Golden Spectro? Of course, you can guarantee that, if it's the right oil, it won't be available in my area Wink.

I havn't heard anything about the Aeroshell being reformulated or there being a problem with it, so I'm still watching this with interest - any further info?

Thanks,
LS

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Re Oil - Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

Hi Lucien,

I doubt you will see anyone admit to anything in writing about this other than right here and maybe another forum or two.

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: