Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flaps/Flight instruction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pnicholson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Flaps/Flight instruction Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the discussion on flaps; very informative. It
reminds me of how much I don't know.
One comment stood out above all others, "get instruction from an
EXPERIENCED CJ pilot so you don't get yourself killed" or words to
that effect. While I got enough checkout to get home safely, I could
certainly do with some more instruction. If anyone is willing to come
to Ontario to instruct a new CJ owner, please contact me off list with
your terms and conditions etc Smile
Thank you for the collective support.
Phil
C-FEPN
Kincardine, Ontario.

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Adrian Coop Cooper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Flaps/Flight instruction Reply with quote

Phil.
Congratulations on getting your bird back to Ontario.
Shame we couldn't have connected here in BC.
Pappy is right about the flaps.
I am sure you can find someone in the North East to give you some instruction.
Welcome to the fraternity.
Coop. Very Happy

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

brian(at)lloyd.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Flaps/Flight instruction Reply with quote

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Philip Nicholson <pednicholson(at)gmail.com (pednicholson(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Yak-List message posted by: Philip Nicholson <pednicholson(at)gmail.com (pednicholson(at)gmail.com)>

Thank you very much for the discussion on flaps; very informative. It
reminds me of how much I don't know.
One comment stood out above all others, "get instruction from an
EXPERIENCED CJ pilot so you don't get yourself killed" or words to
that effect.  

Here is the thing: the CJ6A is an extremely easy airplane to fly. If you know how to fly an airplane, learn the basics of the systems, and have a modicum of common sense, you are going to be able to fly the CJ6A safely. So don't be afraid of it. If you aren't going to get yourself killed flying a C-182, you aren't going to get yourself killed in a CJ6A either. (Of course, if you decide to go out and act stupidly, doing things that are clearly beyond your skill set in either airplane, then all bets are off!)

I suspect you are safe in your CJ6A even if you had questions about the flaps. Sure you can ask questions here and you can even find experienced instructors in the CJ6A who will be glad to help you. (I am available and I will probably be flying up to Calgary in a couple of weeks if you want to come that far west. Smile But even with that, you could safely have found the answer to the question for yourself. Never underestimate the power of devising your own tests to determine what the airplane is going to do in a given situation. You could have gone up to altitude and done stalls with the gear down and flaps up (Vs1), and with both the gear and flaps down (Vs0) to determine stall speed clean and dirty. You could then have multiplied those speeds by 1.3 to determine your normal approach speed. At that point I would experiment with power off descents at your reference approach speeds (1.3Vs1 and 1.3Vs0) to see what the descent rate is. A little time spent with a calculator will give you the descent angle. Convert speeds to common units, e.g. ft per minute, and the take the arc cosine of vertical speed divided by TAS, i.e. descent angle = acos(vertical_speed/TAS). Now you can figure out things like total landing distance to clear a 50' obstacle if you like.

So, yes, I think it is a great idea to find a good instructor, especially for learning type-specific idiosyncrasies.  But don't let that keep you from learning about your airplane by yourself. In fact, approaching these kinds of problems by yourself, with the airplane, in a systematic manner, will let you learn things about your airplane that you probably won't get from an instructor. It will also build skill AND confidence in your own flying abilities.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
3191 Western Dr.
Cameron Park, CA 95682
brian(at)lloyd.com (brian(at)lloyd.com)
+1.767.617.1365 (Dominica)
+1.916.877.5067 (USA)

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: