Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flight test report - N773PM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Flight test report - N773PM Reply with quote

I just finished writing a short summary of the flight characteristics and my normal piloting practices for my Zodiac XL - N773PM. I did this after considering the preliminary NTSB report about E-AB accidents and comments on other email lists about people trying to learn to fly a purchased experimental plane without an AFM or Pilot's Handbook. Perhaps a short write-up like this one will help anyone who wants to learn to fly my plane or even me if my memory gets any worse.

Paul
Camas, WA

Here it is:

Flight Test Report - N773PM
By Paul Mulwitz -- June 2, 2012

As phase I flight test nears its end I wanted to record some of the things learned about this airplane. The information presented here is not very official, but it might help me or some new pilot have an easy time flying the plane in the future.

Basic flight performance of this Zodiac XL is relatively tame. It has plenty of power and cruises easily over 110 KIAS. With a heavy throttle it will exceed 120. It has very little or no stability - especially in the yaw domain. There is electric roll and pitch trim but this does a poor job of making it a stable flying airplane. The pilot must pay attention all the time to keep it flying straight and level.

Takeoff is normal. With no flaps the ground roll is relatively short and performance is OK. I prefer using 1/2 flaps until clear of any obstacles. This produces a quicker departure from the ground. Full flaps on takeoff is a poor choice. It lifts off before there is good response to the flight controls. Flap setting is judged by the relative position of the flaps and ailerons. Initial climb at 70 KIAS works well. At 500 feet AGL I start to think about turning crosswind or exiting the pattern and reducing power.

Initial cruise at 2500 RPM works well and gives around 100 KIAS. Maneuvering speed, Va, is 90 KIAS.

Stalls are uneventful. The only thing I have been able to produce is a deep mush.

My preferred setup for the Dynon based panel is to display HSI on the pilot's EFIS along with the flight instruments. RPM is displayed on this display from the EMS. Right seat display varies with the desires of the occupant from completely engine information to a full instrument panel with reduced engine information. HSI navigation data source can be either the GPS or VOR. Selection of the source and setting of various bugs and track information is done with the HS-34 knobs just below the pilot's display. The knobs also act as push button switches to sync the bugs.

Like all low wing planes, fuel must be drawn from only one tank at a time. My common practice is to use 1/2 hour fuel from one tank and then to switch to the other one. This keeps the fuel load somewhat balanced.

When approaching an airport for landing I like to reduce speed to 70 KIAS before reaching the traffic pattern. 2000 RPM is a good power setting for level flight at 70. I continue downwind at 70 and reduce power to idle when opposite the numbers. A glide is set up with speed at 60 KIAS. This is a good speed for the remainder of the approach. While on base leg I judge the approach height and apply full flaps if there is enough altitude. Landings can be made with any flap setting but full flaps give a nicer touchdown speed and attitude.

One strange characteristic of the Jabiru engine is it will not start while windmilling. If it stops firing in flight the only way to get it going again is by engaging the starter motor. Similarly, it is claimed it will not fire from moving the propeller by hand on the ground.

Carb heat is available but I have never used it in flight. The relatively warm position of the carburetor in the engine compartment suggests it is really not needed. I check that it is working when running up the engine before flight along with a quick magneto check. All three checks show only a minimal reduction in RPM from the 1800 test power setting. There is no vacuum system for instrumentation.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
hallert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Flight test report - N773PM Reply with quote

Paul,
Always find you posts useful! Just a couple of comments from a 300 hr on AMD 601 XLB driver:
1) Do you really want to reduce pwr at 500 ft? Why not wait till safe 180 deg return altitude as many engine problems occur with change of settings.
2) Why not drop flaps before entering pattern to allow more time to check wind, look for traffic, etc.
3) Puzzled by yaw instability comment. Notice nothing unusual in mine based on flying Cesnas, Pipers, Mooneys, T-Craft, Gliders.
4) You engine produces at least 6 kts. more than I get with the O-200.

Ted Haller

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Flight test report - N773PM Reply with quote

Hi Ted,

I agree with you about engine failures. My point was to not touch the
engine controls before 500 AGL rather than suggesting it was necessary
at that point. The Jabiru likes to climb at full power in all cases.
This gives a richer mixture for improved engine cooling. Keep in mind
the Jabiru doesn't have mixture control but instead has a self
controlling carburetor - much like the Rotax.

I like to fly without flaps unless they are called for. I think you can
get a better glide with no flaps if needed to reach the runway without
adding power. This is just a style point, and I don't see anything
really wrong with using flaps before reaching base leg. I do think it
is a great idea to slow down before entering the pattern to avoid
running over Champs, Cubs, and other planes that can't go 100 knots.

The yaw stability problem has plagued me for a while now. I think it is
inherent in the XL design. If you are flying straight and kick the nose
to either side a little bit (less than 11 degrees) I think you will find
it doesn't return to center. It just stays where you leave it and flies
a bit sideways.

It doesn't surprise me my Jabiru powered XL is faster than a Continental
O-200 powered AMD XL. This is true even though I don't have wheel pants
and you probably do. The Jabiru weighs about 100 pounds less than the
Continental as installed and produces about 30 percent more power. I
also don't have much of an interior - no insulation. I'd rather pay for
Bose headphones than carry the weight of all that insulation to reduce
noise. (On the other hand, if you need engine maintenance on the road
you will find it a lot easier to get experienced mechanics and parts
than I will.)

I'm glad I decided to publish my little pilot's information page. I
think it helps us all.

Paul

On 6/2/2012 8:55 AM, hallert wrote:
Quote:

Paul,
Always find you posts useful! Just a couple of comments from a 300 hr on AMD 601 XLB driver:
1) Do you really want to reduce pwr at 500 ft? Why not wait till safe 180 deg return altitude as many engine problems occur with change of settings.
2) Why not drop flaps before entering pattern to allow more time to check wind, look for traffic, etc.
3) Puzzled by yaw instability comment. Notice nothing unusual in mine based on flying Cesnas, Pipers, Mooneys, T-Craft, Gliders.
4) You engine produces at least 6 kts. more than I get with the O-200.

Ted Haller

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=374538#374538

sabrina

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Flight test report - N773PM Reply with quote

Do Not Archive

Last edited by sabrina on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Flight test report - N773PM Reply with quote

Hi Sabrina,

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I've already tried all of that
stuff. I did need to extend the nose gear column by 1/8 inch but that
had little impact on the yaw stability. I noticed the column on another
XL at my home field had about 4 inches extending above the firewall
shelf while mine didn't get above it at all.

After taking a close look at the whole airplane I came to the conclusion
that this design has no inherent yaw stability. View of the fuselage
from the top presents a diamond shape that has no vertical surface that
runs parallel to straight flight. The closest it gets is a 22 degree
included angle presented by the tail end of the fuselage. The full
flying rudder depends on the V-blocks in the nose gear column assembly
to make it straight when there is no rudder pressure applied in flight.
(I don't have wheel pants that might give a little stability.)

I did learn on early flights that the V-blocks made my plane pull a
little to the left in flight. I fixed that by adjusting the rudder
cables so the rudder is straight. I have always had my rudder cables
tensioned according to CH's requirements.

This whole line of thought started when another list member pointed out
that forward slips do not do anything to cause the plane to have a
steeper approach path. I then learned from my own plane that if I
kicked the nose to one side or the other it didn't return to center as
required by F2245. At least in the case of my plane it clearly doesn't
meet the LSA spec for stability. I wonder what other owners find when
trying this test.

Best regards,

Paul

On 6/3/2012 11:40 AM, Sabrina wrote:
Quote:

Dear Paul,

If I were to hazard a guess, your Yaw stability issue is likely due to improperly tensioned rudder cables, slightly misaligned nose gear bearings and aft CG loading. Nothing a little adjustment, lubrication and full fuel load won't cure.

Dear Ron,

Congrats!

Sabrina

P.S. CERN has welcomed me with open arms, not to mention my best birthday party in a decade. I have accomplished a lot in just one week. My sophomore year at MIT finished strong: http://sabrinaaerospace.com/index.php?news&nid=42

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=374612#374612

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/istanbul_416.jpg

hallert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Flight test report - N773PM Reply with quote

Paul,
On the yaw issue my plane is different in one regard from anything I have flown before - it has a stiff nose gear bearing that tends to stay where I push it with noticeable friction. At first I fund this somewhat annoying but now I consider it an advantage as sort of a "poor man's rudder trim". On climb out I push enough right rudder to center the ball and can then remove pedal pressure while remaining rudder trimmed. After climb out a little nudge on the left pedal corrects rudder trim for cruise.

Ted

psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Flight test report - N773PM Reply with quote

Hi Ted,

That sounds like mine too.

You are calling that stiff rudder, I am calling it lack of yaw
stability. Both are true.

Paul

On 6/3/2012 2:53 PM, hallert wrote:
Quote:

Paul,
On the yaw issue my plane is different in one regard from anything I have flown before - it has a stiff nose gear bearing that tends to stay where I push it with noticeable friction. At first I fund this somewhat annoying but now I consider it an advantage as sort of a "poor man's rudder trim". On climb out I push enough right rudder to center the ball and can then remove pedal pressure while remaining rudder trimmed. After climb out a little nudge on the left pedal corrects rudder trim for cruise.

Ted

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=374624#374624

DaveG601XL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Flight test report - N773PM Reply with quote

Paul,

Just digging deeper into a comment you passed on about another 601XL pilot who thinks this design lacks in the forward slip arena. What has been your experience? Personally mine drops like a rock when a forward slip is properly applied (i.e. not one of those hesitant student pilot 1" of rudder pedal slips). In fact, I usually like to come in a bit high to ensure I can make the field and then slip it to the numbers. It's kind of fun.

I am a midwest flat-lander and about 90% of my landings are on good sized paved runways so I rarely use flaps on approach or landing. This means my slips are more for my own benefit as opposed to necessity. I thought you said you were on a short strip in mountainous terrain so I figured you would have a better appreciation for slipping capabilities and steep approaches.

Just wondering...the list is a little slow so why not kick this one around,

psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Flight test report - N773PM Reply with quote

Hi David,

Yes, I took a long hard look at slipping the XL.

The first thing I found (and mentioned in a recent message) is that there is no natural tendency for the XL to fly straight. Put another way there is no part of the fuselage that runs parallel to straight flight. The closest thing is the 22 degree angle formed by the fuselage sides at the aft end. This ignores any tendency for the full flying rudder to be aligned straight ahead by the plastic v-blocks at the bottom of the firewall.

So it seems the cross section the wind sees is just about the same when the fuselage is aligned straight ahead or +/- 11 degrees from straight. This suggests a slip that is less than 11 degrees to one side or the other has no noticeable effect. My findings in flight test agree with this theory. If you do a deep slip where the nose is more than 11 degrees off center then you will see increased drag - just as you indicated.

This is one of two flight characteristics resulting from the poor combination (in my opinion) of having no vertical stabilizer and no straight ahead sections of the fuselage. The other one is there is little or no yaw stability in straight and level flight. Within the +/- 11 degrees of straight this design has no natural tendency to straighten out when the yaw position is upset (as required by ASTM standard F2245). This is only a problem for S-LSA or E-LSA planes that are supposed to conform to this standard. E-AB planes can be anything the builder wants, but the claim I heard when I chose this design was that it conformed to the standard.

I added strakes to the fuselage bottom on my plane in an attempt to deal with this problem. It helped a little but didn't reach the point of making it stable in yaw. However, it did make it a little happier when flying straight and also had the effect of making small slips effective in making small increases in approach angle. I have found I like to use small slips either with or without flaps deployed to make the touchdown point a little shorter when my approach is a bit long.

I circulated pictures of my strakes a few months ago, but here are some pictures:

[img]cid:part1.06000205.04040605(at)att.net[/img]

[img]cid:part2.07010304.04020000(at)att.net[/img]

The single piece is made from .050 aluminum and the sides are misaligned (but balanced) so the air flowing over them keeps them pressed against the air flow. That way a small change in airflow increases the drag rather than causing the strakes to bend at first. The piece is attached to the bottom longerons using pre-existing rivet holes.

Let me point out that I am not a qualified aviation engineer. That means you can copy my design but you should not think it is properly engineered. You do so at your own risk.

My home field is reasonably long but has threshold displacements at both ends. The surrounding terrain is hilly so the winds are always swirling. We have three wind socks - one at each end and one in the middle of the runway - and they never point in the same direction. I almost miss those consistent cross winds that always seem to be haunting those mid-west runways. I spent several years flying in that area when I was stationed at SAC HQ near Omaha, Nebraska.

Best regards,

Paul

On 6/4/2012 9:25 AM, DaveG601XL wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
--> Zenith601-List message posted by: "DaveG601XL" <david.m.gallagher(at)ge.com> (david.m.gallagher(at)ge.com)

Paul,

Just digging deeper into a comment you passed on about another 601XL pilot who thinks this design lacks in the forward slip arena. What has been your experience? Personally mine drops like a rock when a forward slip is properly applied (i.e. not one of those hesitant student pilot 1" of rudder pedal slips). In fact, I usually like to come in a bit high to ensure I can make the field and then slip it to the numbers. It's kind of fun.

I am a midwest flat-lander and about 90% of my landings are on good sized paved runways so I rarely use flaps on approach or landing. This means my slips are more for my own benefit as opposed to necessity. I thought you said you were on a short strip in mountainous terrain so I figured you would have a better appreciation for slipping capabilities and steep approaches.

Just wondering...the list is a little slow so why not kick this one around,

--------
David Gallagher
Zodiac 601 XL-B: flying, 200+ hours now
Next project under construction: Aircamper

Zodiac_Strake_on_right_side.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.27 KB
 Viewed:  6870 Time(s)

Zodiac_Strake_on_right_side.jpg

Zodiac_Strakes_bottom_view.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.45 KB
 Viewed:  6870 Time(s)

Zodiac_Strakes_bottom_view.jpg

bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Flight test report - N773PM Reply with quote

I found on my plane that there is a significant decrease in rudder cable tension with weight on the nose wheel as apposed to no weight on the nose-wheel. The attachment point for the nose-wheel steering rods moves a bit closer to the tail as the bungee is compressed due to the geometry of the firewall. I now make sure to set the tension with the nose jacked up just enough to take the weight off. This is the "in-flight" condition and results in the highest cable tension. This noticeably reduced the force needed on the rudder pedals.

--
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,
RAM Subaru, Stratus re-drive.

do not archive.
bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Flight test report - N773PM Reply with quote

As does mine.

On Jun 4, 2012, at 11:25 AM, DaveG601XL wrote:

Quote:

Personally mine drops like a rock when a forward slip is properly applied (i.e. not one of those hesitant student pilot 1" of rudder pedal slips).

--
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,
RAM Subaru, Stratus re-drive.

do not archive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: